• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

kIV1rgK.jpg

Last edited:

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
It’s sad that we lost someone who was willing to fight for people in need. The man was just an overall good person. I hope his son will be okay.

cryptoadam

Banned
So I only caught the back half of Double or Nothing. Thought what I saw was pretty good with some hiccups.

Tye/Dustin was a waste of time. Didn't care for the non match match.

Nyla/Shida- Nyla sucks, Shida rules. She did her best with Nyla so the match was decent enough, but again all thanks to Shida. Glad Shida won and this Nyla PR stunt is over.

Brodie/Mox-I just am not into Mox, but I won't knock their work. Good match if you like these guys, but expected for the Mox formula. He really is basically Cena/Reigns just more edgy.

Spring Stampede Stadium Showdown-surprised this was 34 minutes it felt like it was 2 and half hours. Liked the inner circles entrance. Thought the back half of the match was when it got good and we got to see some fun spots. The Matt stuff, the bar stuff, the 100 yard suplex all fun stuff. Sammy loseing again and the Elite going over what a suprise.

Caught a bit of Cody/Archer. Cody winning no shock there. Tyson looked like he was bored off his ass and it really added nothing without the crowd. A far cry from WM 14 Tyson/Austin.

I will watch catch up on the ladder match and MJF/Jungle boy, both which I heard were good. Overall I thought AEW did a good job and having a few "fans" adds to the atmosphere and to me makes it better than the WWE's 100% no fans shows. WWE should copy them and add in some PC recruits to their shows to be fans. I guess they didn't do it because of the backlash they would of got, while AEW for whatever reason doesn't get as much hate.

Now after praising AEW, I will give them some heat. First off no surprise that the Elite put themselves over in the Main Event. The world title was being fought over by 2 former WWE guys, one of them doing a VKM rib as his gimmick. World title match was giving me flashbacks to Smackdown from 2 years ago. Cody again needs the spotlight. Wins the TNT title and had Tyson there for no reason outside of giving his match the rub. And then they take a guy who just came into the company and give him a title shot. Why not a guy like Darby? He is someone who has gotten super over and yet they keep him out of the TNT finals for Cody, and then pass up his money in the bank for Cage.

But these are minor things generally get passed on because AEW is not WWE. Over all I think AEW has been handeling the no crowd situation better while NXT has really floundered.

Dthomp

Haven't been following too hard lately since empty arena crowds suck.

I missed almost all of the preshow match so no opinion there too much.

Ladder match - Probably second best match of the night, problem was the participants made it MORE then obvious Cage was winning. I expected him as the special guy, but didn't realize the rest of the dudes in the match are generic fodder for the most part. Some really dumb spots (I'll try to readdress this later), Cage looked like an absolute monster in there with the smaller competition outside of Luchasauras. My other issue with Cage win here is it made the already obvious title match winner a lock in the first match. I still don't understand if this is like MITB and he can just cash in the chip, or if it needs to be planned out in advance.

MJF/JB - Best match of the night, easily. LOVE MJF, too bad he's kind of in a weird spot right now in AEW. These two have pretty solid chemistry, MJF will be a star one day somewhere, JB needs some more work before he's ready to make a leap. Another STUPID horrendous bump with the poison rana on the ring apron that was completely unnecessary in this match. I like MJF getting the win without Wardlow out there too. JR needs to stop calling him Jungle Boy Jack Perry, who his dad was does not matter, and will not help him here. Not to mention, it isn't like Luke Perry was some household name in the later years. Let him be his own person, let him be just Jungle Boy until he blossums, and can add the real name when he ditches the gimmick, not before.

Archer/Cody - Solid match, absolute retard result. I get it, Cody LOVES Cody, but this was dumb. I get the booking that will lead to Darbi FINALLY overcoming Cody to win this ugly AF title belt, but the same story could have easily been told with the right result and Darbi overcoming the larger Archer and defeating the challenging Cody to overcome his demons. Archer is a stud, he carried this match against Cody. Got in like 80% of the offense, and lost clean to a guy who's manager was caught cheating in the match. Did Archer cheat? Jake? No...Arn, and the match continued, but they made sure to send jake back to so Cody got all the spotlight in OVERCOMING THOSE ODDS. Cody for me is turn the channel levels of boring, so of course he gave himself the first midcard belt, winning clean to completely derail a monster debut on PPV for Lance Archer just so the guy running the show can get his. Maybe he should have took a page out of the Bucks book and put over the younger? newer talent in Archer whos ceiling is far above Create a Wrestler Cody.

Ford/Statlander - This match was trash. I'm sorry, I know it was supposed to be Britt who I got legit hurt thanks to more unnecessary style bumps without crowds and Ford filled in. I actually like everything about Ford, except that she is green as shit, and that is the problem here cause so is Statlander and she's just as awful. You can see the levels of bad all over this match. Ford isn't putting anything into her kicks and moves trying to be safe, and Stat on the other end is wrestling like she's in japan in the hayday of potatoes, and way to green herself for having a tombstone style finisher. Both of these two along with Nyla need to be off of TV being trained for at least the next year.

Goldust/Tye Dillinger - Sure must be nice to be buddies with and related to the boss right? These two don't deserve to be ANYWHERE near a main roster PPV match and yet both AND Brandi get paydays for going out and putting on a comedy match, ignoring the list of more talented wrestlers who weren't on the card. Waste of a match, but hey you got to see Tyes butt AMIRITE?

Nyla/Shida - I haven't been behind Shida much, but I loved her new look and hope it wasn't just for the PPV. Her regular gear was too much, she was much prettier, and looked more badass and fired up. Nyla is still a big steaming pile of as bad as Nia Jax levels so the expectations were almost nothing for this one. Shida looked good, but would have looked great with better talent. Hopefully they have some other feuds to turn to with Britt out for a while it seems. Hoping this is the end of the Rose experience for a while. She is awful, and my wife even pointed out that it's kind of offensive for a former dude to have some kind of catchphrase about breaking bitches. Either way, no more awful Nyla for a while I hope, Shida should have been the first champ, this is the reign that needs to start to make this division not suck as bad as it does. They gotta open up the checkbook for Kairi Sane when her contract comes up soon.

Brodie/Jon - Ugh, I hate everything about this TNA style push the old WWE guys feud this has been. I LOVE Brodie, but not as the Exhaulted one, and even worse as Mr. McMahon parody, and maybe after last night he turns up the serious tone. I get TDO is in limbo with Uno and Stu stuck in Canada but that's one the writers to figure out. Brodie can go, and he can cut a promo, just not like this gimmick has been. I actually enjoy Mox more then I did Ambrose by a large margin, but at the end of the day he's just a turned up version of Ambrose and is just kind of crazy, not my cup of tea and I actually think now would have been a good time to move the belt. This match was a no win situation, Moxs first PPV defense, and Brodies first PPV match and couldn't really afford the L here. I don't like the booking of having him kick out of 3? or maybe it was 2 Paradigm Shifts and then pass out. It makes the guys Mox beat with one along the way look weak, and is the kind of shit I'd expect from the WWE. Without fans I'd much rather have heel champions that do heel shit so that when arenas can be filled you have ready babyfaces that the fans will erupt for winning the belts. They worked well together, it was a fine match, but it felt basically like every WWE match they had except with finisher kickouts.

Stadium Match - Eh? I guess I'm just kind of over the IC/Elite thing at this point. It was entertaining and there were a few funny spots, but this lasted 10 minutes too long I think and honestly didn't see why the Elite needed the win here.

Overall while my words may seem pretty negative, I really liked the event I just felt very strongly that a few of these outcomes were just wrong and it took away for me.
---------------------

Ok, so like I said earlier and it was something I noticed watching this Wednesday, that they need to cut down these stupid over the top spots. I know we all love a good crazy spot, but I popped harder for a Drew Claymore (Safe as fuck move) to overcome Brock then I did for anything tonight. That is because they aren't fishing for the right kind of reaction, the reaction I give most is "Jesus Christ, WTF, or Oh My GOD" and not in the good fun type of way. In the jesus christ I think somebody might be dead way. Darbi jumping off the giant ladder to the floor with just the skateboard to break his fall. Seemed likely he fucked his ankle up there. MJF/JB with the poison rana on the outside apron was just dumb, and could have killed MJF. Think I has similar scares during the Ford match as well. I get it you're all indy and shit, but don't be stupid.

Back a bit to the TNT title and Cody. I know Cody is the darling to the IWC, but he's beyond boring. This guy did so much bashing and bitching about HHH ( ANd I'm not his biggest fan either), but I give credit that HHH always had that something that you knew he was going to make it at some point, where Cody even at his most over is as boring as OG Blueblood Hunter, but stays over by being one of the only guys to blade (and do it often), made all his buddies job to him early on, comes out with Arn for that legend protection, or his wife (who'll boo her she's hot), his dog, oh the big elaborite entrance every week. Talk about stacking the deck and still being as interesting as that paper bag he carried around in WWE. They weren't missing something in you Cody, you're just boring and the least talented member of the Rhodes family. That aside, why do you bring Archer in, push him as a MONSTER, have him dominate the match, only to lose clean to a guy that generally has more heel in him then babyface? Why not have just had Archer lose out along the way in the tourney for too much violence? It stops the push Archer was on and leaves him in a weird spot, since he wasn't screwed, and I think he was supposed to be lost without Jake (So he's dumb?). Hey Cody/Darbi 7 with Darbi finally winning will totally be worth it though right?....

Gave my thoughts on Mox/Brodie. I still think Hardy should have been the exhaulted one, and even just have brought Lee in in the main event spot as a free agent monster. Hardy doesn't really fit in the elite storyline anywhay, and as much as I loved Broken Matt, that isn't a main event character. Mox just does not connect with me as a fan, and I think it's just because he's just kind of a boring brawler and it's that he still has the WWE stink on him, so this feud right after Jericho doesn't help with that. And now we have the same predicament with Cage looking like a wrecking ball with Taz either being completely derailed or a short reign for Mox that could have went to The Dark Order (And my god if they aren't going away they could use the gold).

My final thoughts about AEW right now, and it's sad to think but they are COMPLETELY wasting Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks. At this pace the man who was main eventing the Tokyo Dome won't even be one of the first five world champions on a roster that should have been built around him. While I'm not a huge YB fan either, I understand their importance, and all the do is eat losses like they will with the Revolt soon too. Wish the trio would have went to the WWE if they had any inkling this was the way this was gonna go. These are 3 of your biggest stars, and none of them are of any importance in your title pictures. I couldn't care less about Omega/Page breakup because Page isn't on his level, and likely never will be. And how are they ok with Page skipping half the match to ride a horse while they got their asses kicked? Who cares cause we're just having fun. Kenny could be the face of SD right now along with the Bucks being able to work with the New Day and Woods when he returns.

Rant done, for the time being

DKehoe

Gold Member
New Japan put Ospreay vs Shingo up for free on YouTube with english commentary

It won a bunch of match of the year awards for last year and was personally my favourite match of 2019. Highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already

cryptoadam

Banned
Ive been watching some old school WWF lately.

Sid should of heen a huge star. This guy had IT in 1991. Turning him heel was dumb he was insanely over. He was Lesnar before Lesnar.

I know he never had the commitment to the biz but he should of been the big face to take the torch after Hogan at WM 8.

Mid 80s Hogan was also tremendous. I dont think anyone can match the ring presence he had back then. And eye of the tiger was a great theme. Really milking that Rocky tie in though. I am glad though that the Hulker never got over and Hulkster was settled on instead. As well as the faboulous hulk hogan didnt work as well.

Dthomp

Jesus, I get that Nia will have a job forever because of the Rock and that small glimmer of hope he'll come back again for an appearance but send her ass back to developmental til she can go two weeks without hurting somebody. I know they don't value Kairi at all, but there has got to be almost no chance she resigns there after the way she's been treated both in the ring and out of it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Marty on BTE if ROH work with AEW then maybe so will NWA and NJPW? oh shit if so WWE gonna get rekt

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Anyone else getting a bit underwhelmed by AEW lately? Like I understand comedic spots in matches and I'm fine with it, but it feels like so many are thrown in throughout the show or match where they just try to raise the level of crazy.

The stadium stampede match was hella fun and would be in a vacuum, but the overbooking of the Cody match and the ladder match etc just blaots the show with this kind of stuff. When they stuck to reality with MJF Vs Jungle Boy it ended up being my fave match of the night.

To summarise how I feel, it's like AEW is shoving too many meme like moments into its programming. Reminds me a bit like how Borderlands does it in game form.

NickFire

Anyone else getting a bit underwhelmed by AEW lately? Like I understand comedic spots in matches and I'm fine with it, but it feels like so many are thrown in throughout the show or match where they just try to raise the level of crazy.

The stadium stampede match was hella fun and would be in a vacuum, but the overbooking of the Cody match and the ladder match etc just blaots the show with this kind of stuff. When they stuck to reality with MJF Vs Jungle Boy it ended up being my fave match of the night.

To summarise how I feel, it's like AEW is shoving too many meme like moments into its programming. Reminds me a bit like how Borderlands does it in game form.
I'm actually finding myself more drawn into AEW than anytime before the first show. I haven't watched last night yet, but I will soon. Some of the young guys have started clicking, and in my opinion they are doing good things with some former WWE guys. They've by and large knee capped their women's division so far, and I don't see it improving much with their arguably biggest female draw on the shelf for a while. But I still have hope there. If they keep her involved with skits (etc.) while rehabbing it could make for a huge comeback.

My main gripe is still PPV cost. There's no way I'm paying 50 for their PPV's (nor WWE's if they ever move off the network). Maybe I'm just rationalizing my own decision here, but I do think that is going to hold them back.

cryptoadam

Banned
Will be interesting to see how this Tyson stuff comes off.

Last night really felt like they were trying to recreate Tyson/Austin.

GametimeUK

I'm actually finding myself more drawn into AEW than anytime before the first show. I haven't watched last night yet, but I will soon. Some of the young guys have started clicking, and in my opinion they are doing good things with some former WWE guys. They've by and large knee capped their women's division so far, and I don't see it improving much with their arguably biggest female draw on the shelf for a while. But I still have hope there. If they keep her involved with skits (etc.) while rehabbing it could make for a huge comeback.

My main gripe is still PPV cost. There's no way I'm paying 50 for their PPV's (nor WWE's if they ever move off the network). Maybe I'm just rationalizing my own decision here, but I do think that is going to hold them back.

Don't get me wrong as a whole I still love it.

You are correct with the PPV cost. WWE have absolutely knocked it out of the park with the network and it's pricing. I don't mind paying a little more for AEW PPV's because they are more spaced out and the overall shows are more suited to my taste. However, the Network cost me £9.99 a month here and the AEW events are around £17. The price difference for you guys is just insane, but then again we get Boxing etc cheaper. PPV prices overseas are crazy.

NickFire

Don't get me wrong as a whole I still love it.

You are correct with the PPV cost. WWE have absolutely knocked it out of the park with the network and it's pricing. I don't mind paying a little more for AEW PPV's because they are more spaced out and the overall shows are more suited to my taste. However, the Network cost me £9.99 a month here and the AEW events are around £17. The price difference for you guys is just insane, but then again we get Boxing etc cheaper. PPV prices overseas are crazy.
Yeah we are at, I think, 50 to stream or 60 to ppv. Compared to wwe that is nuts.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The Mike Tyson hypocrisy is really something. He's a convicted rapist. They are cool with that though? I don't even see why he's there. He's 20 plus years past his prime and it honestly screams of a move tna would have done 10 years ago. Trying to redo something that wwe had successfully done years prior.

Top Bottom