• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestling and Gaming.... we are what's referred to as "Marks" (Smart Fans)

MarkMe2525

*I can't believe this requires an asterisk but we got some skin thinned people in the house this morning. It's a silly joke to have fun with. Remember to take a breath..... relax.... chill..... have fun discussing video games/wrestling. This isn't a attack on anyone. If you get offended that I compared your favorite toy company to a wrestler you don't like..... give me a better comparison.

*Also know the difference between "Smark" and "Mark" but didn't think it would help to get into that. Besides, most people here would like to believe they are gaming "Smarks" but I know better, you damn "Mark" 😁

I grew up watching WCW/WWE and I have noticed a lot of similarities between gaming and wrestling fandom. In wrestling, hardcore fans that take the time to learn the behind the scene aspects of the business, post on forums about product, and general take a more than casual approach to the product are referred to as "Mark's". Half of what these wrestling companies do is an attempt to throw "Mark's" off the trail, or leak info that they know will rile up the internet chatter between fellow "Mark's."
"Mark's" like to yell at each other online and talk about what promotion/wrestlers are the best, reminds me of some place I frequent.... oh yeah... here!

I thought it would be fun to try and use our "Mark" status to categorize what wrestling personas fit best with some of the big gaming companies.

Here is my take

Nintendo: Orange Cassidy, does his own unique thing. No imitators as no one is crazy enough to try a gimmick like his. If you don't know who he is, he is currently AEW Champ and wildly successful.

Sony: Charlotte Flair- Probably the best overall wrestler in the WWE. She's got the moves, aggressive, awesome on the mic. Always on point with her character. There is no one as consistent as her, in a division with some pretty weak fellow women wrestlers, she sets the bar and never plays down to her competition. ( I know people look down on female wrestlers but if you take gender out of the equation she is legit-and its my fucking opinion so suck it)

MS: Eric Bischoff- Lots of people hate him but he is never afraid to shake shit up and try new things. A lot of the time this was to his detriment. He broke out on the scene and changed the wrestling landscape with NWO. This was really out of nowhere and his ideas dominated wrestling for a lot of mid 1990's. Kinda reminds me of the first Xbox catching everyone by surprise and MS initially dominating the 360/ps3 gen before sony got their shit together. (WWE got their shit together and came up with the Attitude era)

Steam: Vince McMahon- knows better than you (You don't need Episode 3) Rarely does what fans want (no episode 3).

If you have any thoughts or own comparisons, please discuss.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

2IQ.gif

Paracelsus

kojimad0jtn.gif

A mark is a gullible loyal fan, someone that falls for marketing, reviews etc., smarks are something else.

Marketing tries to piss off the smarks, people that don't get worked easily (in fact when smarks in videogame get angry it's because of a shoot, when you ruined something "behind the camera", for real).

As for the comparison, imo it could be better.

PlayStation: WWE, they're seen as The Wrestling Company because there's a bunch of kids that grew up watching nothing but RAW. Their wrestling is solid, slick but very overrated, their wrestlers are overrated, a lot of what they do is bells and whistles, marketing and people defending them out of nostalgia. The reason why Vince McMahon can take a dump on his wrestlers is because they're "living their childhood dream".
You can apply this argument to gaming series too, like Final Fantasy.

XBOX: 90s WCW. They got lucky because of one "angle" (NWO = $599), thought they could win the war, let a bunch of clueless idiots waste millions of dollars hotshotting everything, killed their chances in less than five years.
They can also be seen as TNA and soon AEW: had a small window to be competitive to beat WWEstation, wasted it, it will never come back.

Nintendo in this case would have to be JPC-NWA-GCW-AJPW et cetera, a classic, but unlike them Nintendo survived WWE poaching of the 80s.

Also, both mediums let in the business people that did not belong in the business, didn't take care of the business, exposed the business, took the medium public/corporate/mainstream and it was downhill from there.

MarkMe2525

kojimad0jtn.gif

A mark is a gullible loyal fan, someone that falls for marketing, reviews etc., smarks are something else.

Marketing tries to piss off the smarks, people that don't get worked easily (in fact when smarks in videogame get angry it's because of a shoot, when you ruined something "behind the camera", for real).

As for the comparison, imo it could be better.

PlayStation: WWE, they're seen as The Wrestling Company because there's a bunch of kids that grew up watching nothing but RAW. Their wrestling is solid, slick but very overrated, their wrestlers are overrated, a lot of what they do is bells and whistles, marketing and people defending them out of nostalgia. The reason why Vince McMahon can take a dump on his wrestlers is because they're "living their childhood dream".
You can apply this argument to gaming series too, like Final Fantasy.

XBOX: 90s WCW. They got lucky because of one "angle" (NWO = $599), thought they could win the war, let a bunch of clueless idiots waste millions of dollars hotshotting everything, killed their chances in less than five years.
They can also be seen as TNA and soon AEW: had a small window to be competitive to beat WWEstation, wasted it, it will never come back.

Nintendo in this case would have to be JPC-NWA-GCW-AJPW et cetera, a classic, but unlike them Nintendo survived WWE poaching of the 80s.

Also, both mediums let in the business people that did not belong in the business, didn't take care of the business, exposed the business, took the medium public/corporate/mainstream and it was downhill from there.
The classic signs of a Mark!!! Thinks they know better, "your opinion is wrong", little bit of gatekeeping.... CLASSIC!!!

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You compared gaming companies to Charlotte Flair, Orange Cassidy and Bischoff, if you had used slurs you would have insulted them less.
If someone gets insulted over some silly ass wrestling comparisons, then that says a lot more about that person than it does me. It's supposed be fun/funny. No skin off my back. I could have done The rock, Stone cold, Hulk Hogan.... that's BORING!!!

Last edited:

Paracelsus

If someone gets insulted over some silly ass wrestling comparisons, then that says a lot more about that person than it does me. It's supposed be fun/funny. No skin off my back. I could have done The rock, Stone cold, Hulk Hogan.... that's BORING!!!

Nintendo was Hulk Hogan, Sony was The Rock, Microsoft is HHH (the console that works with the consoles that make the money).

MarkMe2525

Nintendo was Hulk Hogan, Sony was The Rock, Microsoft is HHH (the console that works with the consoles that make the money).
I like this, but i'm gonna come back at ya!!! No "Mark" likes Hulk Hogan, they respect him but don't like him (generally speaking). Sony was definitely like The rock in early 2013.... throwing burn after burn at MS. That was good one.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

*Smarks

My rankings would be

Nintendo = Austin, HUGE draw, and has the best fundamentals

Sony = The Rock, good fundamentals, Huge draw, and can talk for days

X Box = Cena, not as big a star as the other two above as far as drawing ability, and his fundamentals are sketch, but is still quite good at the whole carrying a promotion thing

Steam = Okada, great history and fundamentals, and is the biggest star in his part of the market

Also Charlotte flair is sloppy as fuck! She ain't even in their top 30 best workers and she has proven to not be a draw either, Asuka is far and away their best female worker and their best wrestler overall would be Daniel Bryan still

MarkMe2525

*Smarks

My rankings would be

Nintendo = Austin, HUGE draw, and has the best fundamentals

Sony = The Rock, good fundamentals, Huge draw, and can talk for days

X Box = Cena, not as big a star as the other two above as far as drawing ability, and his fundamentals are sketch, but is still quite good at the whole carrying a promotion thing

Steam = Okada, great history and fundamentals, and is the biggest star in his part of the market

Also Charlotte flair is sloppy as fuck! She ain't even in their top 30 best workers and she has proven to not be a draw either, Asuka is far and away their best female worker and their best wrestler overall would be Daniel Bryan still
Charlotte can be sloppy (mainly earlier in her career) but is great at ring psychology. I knew that would get a few people a little worked up... as Eric B. likes to say...."controversy sells"!!!

MarkMe2525

“Marks” aren’t smart fans. They’re the ones that buy into the BS and think it’s all real.
That's usually what "Marks" say!!! In my experience in wrestling fandom... There is no such thing as a "smark" anymore as no one believes it's real. If you still watch the silliness that these wrestling promotions put on (which I do, not as much as I used to) then you are indeed a "Mark"

Edit: I also was trying to avoid getting too deep into the wrestling jargon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom