• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writer of Marvel’s She Hulk on Disney+ attacks South Park over “Cultural Damage”

Nymphae

Banned
Screenshot tweets that are not videos always and forever. No excuses. Don't be too lazy to upload a screenshot, you have another 30 seconds. Images are viewable by everyone but tweets can be deleted and domain blocked.

Cdhpqwd.jpg

Last edited:
I think at this point, we’re gonna end up losing a whole generation to this kind of bullshit.

like Papa John said, “We’ll just have to let it run its course.”
Did he say that during his interview with Ethan?

Problem with letting it run its course is unlike, say, the crazies of the alt-right who have no power. The far left unfortunately does have a lot of influence and power and it does worry me a bit what will happen if they're just allowed to have their way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe my literary analysis is tone deaf, but I don't think that South Park's main theme is nihilism and thinking that earnestness is a sin. Quite the opposite, actually.

But I can see how you might think that if your earnestly held beliefs have been mocked on the show before. Join the club.

Hinedorf

Banned
A female hired to write about a super heroic female protagonist takes aim at writers who take aim AT EVERYTHING.

Good luck Dana.... you should've probably checked how they do writing for their shows. The basically wait till the very last minute to get the most current events in their show. You don't want to make that show.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Did he say that during his interview with Ethan?

Problem with letting it run its course is unlike, say, the crazies of the alt-right who have no power. The far left unfortunately does have a lot of influence and power and it does worry me a bit what will happen if they're just allowed to have their way.

Yeah, it was in reference to the question of if he would return to the board of directors at PJ. He said no, we’ll just have to let it run it a course. Meaning, we’ll wait to see who sticks around when the shit hits the fan with that lawsuit. Assuming everyone who did him harm would leave.

Turnt

People have been saying this stuff about South Park for years. So this person saying it isn’t a new sentiment.

For example, this reddit post is a couple years old

esgziSA.jpg

I do think that saying it’s hard to overstate South Park’s “cultural damage” is hilariously over dramatic. I also don’t think the show is particularly insightful. Although I haven't watched it in a long time now. It’s just a show people watch for fun. And that’s ok.

Last edited:
People in entertainment think entertainment matters way more than it does.

These people live in a bubble.

Funny, I have the exact same thoughts when I read stuff like that The Last of Us II thread and the crusade against the games perceived "wokeness" or whatever. It is a fuckin videogame man. It's a fuckin movie man. Etc etc. People on both "sides" (ugh) of this entertainment wokeness battle are just taking all the enjoyment out of everything.

People have been saying this stuff about South Park for years. So this person saying it isn’t a new sentiment.

esgziSA.jpg

And then you have stuff like this, as an aside to my previous comment. I get it, looking into stuff deeper and all that, and I understand what this person is getting at but why does everything have to have this supposed underlying insidiousness that is worming it's way into us. Corrupting us without our knowledge!

How about it is a stupid show that likes to shit on everything and everyone. Sometimes you don't need to look so deep into everything, just have a laugh man. Relax maaaannnnn.

Nah.
For me, Marvel Studios have made 23 good to great films. Until they really feck up I won't doubt them.
Benedict Cucumberguy has some insufferable feminist beliefs but ngl dude is entertaining to watch and he's a damn good Dr. Strange.

Plus he also gets a pass because he came to the rescue of some guy who was getting assaulted irl.

GreyHorace

I used to think South Park was just a collection of stupid jokes mixed in with some cartoon violence. But then it slowly morphed into a brilliant satire of everyone and everything. No one is spared, which is a refreshing attitude in this day of overt political correctness. The Safe Space episode was hilariously on point. That's how I like my comedy.

*sighs* And this woman again? Haven't we already established that she's an idiot? Earnestness a sin? Bullshit. South Park is probably one of the most earnest shows around. Matt Stone and Trey Parker clearly love what they're doing and it shows with some of their most brilliant episodes.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This is the woman who was using her mainstream platform to defend the Reylos who sent death threats to JJ and John Boyega isn’t it? I believe she blamed the Fandom Menace for making them all up.

she’s entirely full of shit

Last edited:
Well lookie here, another thing the Regressive Left and the Religious Right have in common.

That sure is one way to find unity for these humorless, self righteous, and insufferable hacks.

She should directly @ trey and matt. I am sure they will apologize with humility and grace. They might even devote an episode on this topic.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Looking forward to the She-Hulk episode ;-)

Actually the hulk comes to southpark because he is depressed and wants to get away from things. Then later you find out he is in southpark to see doctor mephisto because he is becoming a tranny and calls himself she hulk would be hillarious. Possibly he gets his dick turned into a vagina and tries to go to the bar and trick thor into fucking him and the boys witness it.

All you need is him being called sir after the surgery and yelling ma'am so loud it blows out the windows in the store.

Throw in mr garrison somehow and it's a wrap on that episode. It writes itself.

Weiji

Banned

esgziSA.jpg

I do think that saying it’s hard to overstate South Park’s “cultural damage” is hilariously over dramatic. I also don’t think the show is particularly insightful. Although I haven't watched it in a long time now. It’s just a show people watch for fun. And that’s ok.

Bullshit. (@ the reddit post)

South Park plays devil’s advocate to popular theory and concepts by challenging them.

Challenging an idea by shitting on it isn’t an endorsement of apathy, nor is it libertarian.

This bit clenching piece of fecal matter doesn’t like the fact that south park Insults shit he cares about. He’s a religious zealot making excuses about the fact that no one wants to hear His fucking sermon

If his ideas had merit he wouldn’t need to give the slightest shit about some off color low brow criticism.

But they don’t and he does.

Last edited:
I understand where they are coming from, but the problem stems from human nature and how trolling and "for the lulz" culture became prominent in a society where certain individuals are struggling to find deep existential meaning and purpose. The remedy to this is the cultivation of awareness, but this is really hard in an age where social media is profiting off of dopamine fuelled behavioural loops.

To paraphrase the late Isaac Hayes: "Matt and Trey go after everybody, everything is open game to them". They have always had a pretty strong "everything or nothing" stance on mockery.

plushyp

njbPqIM.jpg

Funny, I have the exact same thoughts when I read stuff like that The Last of Us II thread and the crusade against the games perceived "wokeness" or whatever. It is a fuckin videogame man. It's a fuckin movie man. Etc etc. People on both "sides" (ugh) of this entertainment wokeness battle are just taking all the enjoyment out of everything.
There's a huge difference in the magnitude of what you compared though. Majority of the verified twitter accounts will get retweeted and make their way into unknowing timelines one way or the other whereas some of the posts in the TLoU2 thread you dislike are mostly limited to remaining here.

mcjmetroid

I really can't believe people don't understand what South Park is meant to be about by now. It's been doing this for over 20 years.

South Park challenges you to think for yourself and it's very clever about not leaning on one side or the other.
It makes fun of lefts, rights, muslims, gays, trans people the list goes on.

As a writer I would expect her to have a better grasp on this.I assume she was offended by something but that says more about her personality that she's able to care more about herself than anyone else.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Also in before she starts playing the victim. Oh now wait too late!

Here's where she shows her true colours after a few posts of "Bu bu I was only criticizing a tv show, what's the big deal"

and for good measure one from one of their supporters.

Amazing! This fan is responding to triggered South Park fans people who are now calling Dana out for being triggered by telling people to stop people being triggered.
How does that work?

Last edited:
Top Bottom