• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

Omikaru

Editing. Sucks.

I'll hit a string of chapters where I think, "Hell, this is pretty good!" Then, after one rough patch, my entire mindset changes to, "This is trash. The book was always trash."

😩😩😩

Just reached the end of that ordeal, for now, and I can relate.

My big problem is perfectionism, however. Nothing I do is ever good enough.

Alas, I've sent the 120k word monster off to writer friends to read. Hoping to lop 8-15k words off of it.

I think I'll be skipping NaNoWriMo this year. Part of me is tempted to just write something - anything - for a month, but I am mentally exhausted from editing this book. Plus I think I'm in a good place with my writing so I don't necessarily need to do it this year. Good luck to everyone doing it next month, and I will be sending good vibes and words of encouragement in the thread.

I just want to mention.... coworkers give you odd looks and amusing reactions when you ask them

"If you are determined to show their resolve by putting a dagger through your hand and if you were left handed would you take the dagger in your left hand and put it through your right, or would you instead take it in your right to put it through your dominate hand?"

:p

The answer is, unless the character has been training with weapons, a person will always use their dominant hand for that motion.

But be sure the character isn't cutting through the metacarpals or they won't heal for a year.

zulux21

The answer is, unless the character has been training with weapons, a person will always use their dominant hand for that motion.

But be sure the character isn't cutting through the metacarpals or they won't heal for a year.

heh, the character in question is actually trained to fight using either hand, and unless she considers an enemy worth going all out on typically will fight right handed to help train her weaker side.

that being said, at least in this scene where the dagger ends up isn't to important as there is a party healer.

anyways, between the ideas I had last night, the ideas I have had this morning... I think the final arc of my book 3 is going to just become a book 4 lol. Thus I need to eventually figure out a bit more for book 3, but the stuff before this arc ran to nearly the length I was aiming for for book 3 in general so yeah...

Beta reader #1: You're not explaining enough there are too many characters and I'm kind of frustrated/confused

Beta reader #2: You're telling too much instead of showing. I don't like it

YOU BOTH CANNOT BE RIGHT >:[

Also fucking sick of readers who said "yeah i want to read it" quitting part way through and not telling me. Like, if you're saying you want to read it and give feedback, I'm gonna fucking hold that to you. I won't forget.

Beta reader #1: You're not explaining enough there are too many characters and I'm kind of frustrated/confused

Beta reader #2: You're telling too much instead of showing. I don't like it

YOU BOTH CANNOT BE RIGHT >:[

Also fucking sick of readers who said "yeah i want to read it" quitting part way through and not telling me. Like, if you're saying you want to read it and give feedback, I'm gonna fucking hold that to you. I won't forget.

I had similar happen. Guy agreed to Beta Read, much of his notes were talking down to me, as if I was but a fledgling before his awesomeness. Eventually he got far enough in my book to suddenly want my notes on his work, before then going silent just as he hit some big reveals that, I assume, didn't sit well with him. He'd been trying to guess what my book was about and I think him being wrong/it not turning out as he wanted, made him lose interest.

I hope you at least got some feedback before they went silent. Even if I found him difficult and annoying to deal with he had at least a couple points I could run across my friends and family which then proved to be things I needed to improve upon.

I had similar happen. Guy agreed to Beta Read, much of his notes were talking down to me, as if I was but a fledgling before his awesomeness. Eventually he got far enough in my book to suddenly want my notes on his work, before then going silent just as he hit some big reveals that, I assume, didn't sit well with him. He'd been trying to guess what my book was about and I think him being wrong/it not turning out as he wanted, made him lose interest.

I hope you at least got some feedback before they went silent. Even if I found him difficult and annoying to deal with he had at least a couple points I could run across my friends and family which then proved to be things I needed to improve upon.
So far nothing other than a paragraph. He says he's going to send me more when he's at a PC, but I don't expect him to. He's a month and six days late from the original "deadline" which was basically a "PRETTY PLEASE"

He only got 50 pages in, so we'll see. I'm around that point for editing, so it's at least fresh in my mind.

zulux21

While the bite of my insults spewed from my characters tonight were about as sharp as a newborns.... at least I have kept my streak up despite being tired.

one week into oct.
and looking good so far
8E3K636.png

I can't complain about getting nearly 13k words done in a week, even if some of those words need to be redone when I can think of real threats again lol.

Big ol' email sent. The more I drafted it, the more I realized she was mostly right. Not about all of it, but about enough. My subtle hints at things aren't answers.

That being said, I don't know how important some of those questions were. There's a certain level where you just have to assume things work because that's how magic is. You don't go "why does magic work in Harry Potter?" because it's a given that it does.

Or maybe you do. People want different things out of books.

Regardless, I answered her questions to the best of my ability, included ways i could fix clarity, and thanked her for her time. We'll see what happens next.

Big ol' email sent. The more I drafted it, the more I realized she was mostly right. Not about all of it, but about enough. My subtle hints at things aren't answers.

That being said, I don't know how important some of those questions were. There's a certain level where you just have to assume things work because that's how magic is. You don't go "why does magic work in Harry Potter?" because it's a given that it does.

Or maybe you do. People want different things out of books.

Regardless, I answered her questions to the best of my ability, included ways i could fix clarity, and thanked her for her time. We'll see what happens next.

Excellent and congrats! Criticism is always tough. Sounds like you took the time to handle it thoughtfully. I hope she is willing to work with you and that you've found an agent!

Just gonna quote this email in full since I dunno what to make of it:

Offhand, I don’t have any suggestions as to how to fix these issues. I might, if I had the time to go through the manuscript again with a more critical/editorial eye, but I don’t. I did like the novel, so I’m very happy to look at it again in the future.
Is that a revise/resubmit without the formality or what? I honestly don't know what to do other than be happy someone liked the book despite some perceived flaws.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Editing. Sucks.

I'll hit a string of chapters where I think, "Hell, this is pretty good!" Then, after one rough patch, my entire mindset changes to, "This is trash. The book was always trash."

😩😩😩

Oh boy I will have that to look forward to.

I really wish that I shut off my inner voice when writing, it's what caused me to struggle with my current chapter.

Sometime I am my own greatest enemy. ¬_¬;

I wouldn't worry about it, even Harry Potter got rejected by multiple publishers.

Just gonna quote this email in full since I dunno what to make of it:

Is that a revise/resubmit without the formality or what? I honestly don't know what to do other than be happy someone liked the book despite some perceived flaws.

Ugh. I'd put this one on the back burner and keep plowing through agents. If you get similar feedback from someone else that makes you want to implement the changes you suggested to him/her, then resubmit. But otherwise, it feels you're chasing someone down the street who gave you a smile but is too busy with something on their phone to look at you again.

Ugh. I'd put this one on the back burner and keep plowing through agents. If you get similar feedback from someone else that makes you want to implement the changes you suggested to him/her, then resubmit. But otherwise, it feels you're chasing someone down the street who gave you a smile but is too busy with something on their phone to look at you again.
Yeah, that's what I think too. It's a shame though, because there's such a tease at the end.

But at this point, I'm out of agents for the book. I'll clean it up at some point and self publish. Toyland comes first, but then, I'm kind of hating this book now that I'm almost done. I've been unhappy since Oct 1st, and this manuscript is to blame. Tempted to just stop with it and I dunno, work on something completely different like music.

Landford

Banned
I finished the goddam book. I wrote a small blurb for it. Im editing it now.

I cannot make a fucking good title. Fuck my life hhahahahahahha

kevin1025

Banned
I finished the goddam book. I wrote a small blurb for it. Im editing it now.

I cannot make a fucking good title. Fuck my life hhahahahahahha

I always recommend going with your gut in terms of the title. Some may pop out as obvious, but sometimes there's one that sticks out above the rest, and just feels right. Good or not, sometimes that title sticks out.

All day while at work, I think about how much I can't wait to get home to write. Then I get home at 5, and I am so damn tired that I don't feel like I have energy to do anything. Then I end up not writing. That night I'll lie in bed thinking about how much I can't wait until tomorrow so that I can write after work. Then it just cycles. I get good sleep too, so it might just be mental exhaustion.

All day while at work, I think about how much I can't wait to get home to write. Then I get home at 5, and I am so damn tired that I don't feel like I have energy to do anything. Then I end up not writing. That night I'll lie in bed thinking about how much I can't wait until tomorrow so that I can write after work. Then it just cycles. I get good sleep too, so it might just be mental exhaustion.

I totally get you. I work on reviewing anime and manga all day, trying to get our website going and gather some attention so it'll take off, I reach the end of the day and it can feel like a real struggle to get words on the page or find another agent to query.

It's been especially bad since the start of the month. New anime season, extra work to cover all the new 1st episodes, no energy to write at the end of the day just like you, and yeah, I get that feeling too when laying in bed "Okay, I'm gonna do this!" and then... still no energy or time. It's frustrating, because if you don't right it doesn't find success. And of course now I'm sick too!

For me, I think it's a combination of things, because I didn't have this problem last year when I was working on my first novel. I think having someone like Trump in office, knowing that the country is being run/torn apart by a baboon isn't making it easy to sleep at night. Couple that with being busy, writing itself a creative endeavor that is draining, and yeah I think Mental Exhaustion is totally a major factor.

I'm hoping that once I've recovered I can get back on track with an easy schedule. I might suggest maybe even easing yourself back into it. Like, take a week to just relax, do easy stuff, nothing mentally taxing and then gradually step it up to 100 words minimum a day, 200 the next, etc. until you feel good about what you're pumping out.

But yeah, I really just wanted to say I feel you.

Soulfire

Maybe try lowering your writing goal? Or if you don't have one set a really low goal so that you can at least get in the habit and then go from there.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yesterday I am managed to finish a chapter that was giving me troubles, wheeeeeeeeee. I also did a rough layout of the next chapter and will be tackling it soon.

Today I jumped to another project to sort of plot out the plot layout of a new project that was rattling in my head and I didn't want it to get lost, I don't like jumping between project but if I didn't do this then my brain would just get clogged up and I would end up struggling on my Novel.

Tomorrow I have a application form to fill out, but after that I want to make a start on chapter 10.

Also does anyone get that giddy feeling of excitement when they are writing? I got it yesterday and today.

I know that feeling when I use to be a dental nurse as I would finish at 18:00 and wouldn't get home till 18:30 and after I had dinner I would be so tired to do any writing plus I had work from the dental school to do.

But after I got fired from work and dropped out from the dental school I had a bit more time to work on my novel before landing another placement role with shorter hours, so I get home around 17:00.

I am still tried when I get home so what I do is have a quick power nap and I am then raring to go, honestly I am surprised that I wanted to sit down in front of the computer and work on it as I thought I wouldn't after spending all day starring at a screen being bored out of my mind.

I also suggest to just maybe spend a set amount of time writing, if you're like me you will probably go over the time limit and get a lot done.

JaseMath

Slogging through my last draft before I send it out. Is it this normal to be so exhausted? I love writing, I love my book, but boy, is it hard to keep that excitement when you're churning through drafts.

Slogging through my last draft before I send it out. Is it this normal to be so exhausted? I love writing, I love my book, but boy, is it hard to keep that excitement when you're churning through drafts.
Yeah, I think so, or I'm feeling the same lethargy. Yesterday and today were better, but it's been a nasty month.

I think at a certain point you just get fed up with the project and want to move onto the next one, but polish drafts are still needed. It's the time when writing really feels like work.

JaseMath

Yeah, I think so, or I'm feeling the same lethargy. Yesterday and today were better, but it's been a nasty month.

I think at a certain point you just get fed up with the project and want to move onto the next one, but polish drafts are still needed. It's the time when writing really feels like work.

Amen to that. I was flying high for awhile, but the relentless pursuit of perfection has me dreading the process. I feel like these times more than any other (at least for me) demand more from the writer. I think it also separates the pretenders from the pros.

Amen to that. I was flying high for awhile, but the relentless pursuit of perfection has me dreading the process. I feel like these times more than any other (at least for me) demand more from the writer. I think it also separates the pretenders from the pros.

I feel like any round of editing separates the pretenders from the pros, at least based on the junk I've come across on Amazon :p

But yeah. Normally the more you edit the better you feel, but sometimes that reverses and life is a miserable hell for awhile. I'll be honest, if I can't turn my headspace around with this book, I'm throwing it on the "later" pile and either plotting the next novel or working on some music.

I feel like any round of editing separates the pretenders from the pros, at least based on the junk I've come across on Amazon :p

But yeah. Normally the more you edit the better you feel, but sometimes that reverses and life is a miserable hell for awhile. I'll be honest, if I can't turn my headspace around with this book, I'm throwing it on the "later" pile and either plotting the next novel or working on some music.

Editing is always a bitch. I cut about 60K words from Ahvarra when I was working with a writing group on feedback. I will say that was a much more complex novel, with a magic system and multiple perspectives, with a future world and a medieval world connected via a portal. Keeping things straight as to culture and how characters would react (I had at least three "fish out of water" situations, where characters from the medieval world were thrust into our future, and one where a future character traveled into the medieval one). So yeah, that one took ... well, it took at least a year with the writing group, and then it took probably another six months of incorporating their comments, ripping out stuff that didn't need to be there, then honing it, reading through it again, etc.

Meanwhile, in this novella per month writing challenge, it's all one POV, it's a journal format that I feel I can get a little loose in, the main character feels--well, Conker read it and liked it--just, comfortable I guess. I feel like I write 30K words per month and the editing takes a couple of days, but overall it's been pretty smooth.

Shrug. tl;dr it depends on what you're writing and how comfy you are with your character and his/her pov I suppose.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Speaking of editing, I had my friend read through the short story I mentioned last page just because they're super nitpicky and would tell me to dial back the crazy if it was too much. They came back with glowing remarks that kind of caught me off guard tbh. A lot of good criticism too, don't get me wrong, but they said it was objectively the best thing I've written they've ever seen and asked me "Where has this been for six years?"

That question kind of has me off. I guess that means I've gotten better and my oh so precious bar of quality (precious to me at least) has risen once again. I don't know, I should be happy a lot of my edits brought a really rough story together, but I kinda secretly wanted a reason to not work on it cause fuck this story is a downer. Oh well, I'm going to sit on the criticisms for a week or so and then bring it to a second draft before trying to wrangle up a decent number of people to beta read this just so I have a good variety of responses.

Mr-Joker

Banned

My lecturer once said that if you're getting sick of it, then it means that you're actually making progress and working hard.

But yeah it can be hard to keep going after working on it for a while and you just want to move on to a new project.

My fiance and son are gone today, which is great news for writing. I sat down for an hour and didn't let myself get distracted, but I was surprised at the end to discover I'd only written 300 words. When I saw that, I thought, "Come on! I had to have written more than that?!" Just finished my lunch, so I'm going to jump back in and write some more.

I totally get you. I work on reviewing anime and manga all day, trying to get our website going and gather some attention so it'll take off, I reach the end of the day and it can feel like a real struggle to get words on the page or find another agent to query.

It's been especially bad since the start of the month. New anime season, extra work to cover all the new 1st episodes, no energy to write at the end of the day just like you, and yeah, I get that feeling too when laying in bed "Okay, I'm gonna do this!" and then... still no energy or time. It's frustrating, because if you don't right it doesn't find success. And of course now I'm sick too!

For me, I think it's a combination of things, because I didn't have this problem last year when I was working on my first novel. I think having someone like Trump in office, knowing that the country is being run/torn apart by a baboon isn't making it easy to sleep at night. Couple that with being busy, writing itself a creative endeavor that is draining, and yeah I think Mental Exhaustion is totally a major factor.

I'm hoping that once I've recovered I can get back on track with an easy schedule. I might suggest maybe even easing yourself back into it. Like, take a week to just relax, do easy stuff, nothing mentally taxing and then gradually step it up to 100 words minimum a day, 200 the next, etc. until you feel good about what you're pumping out.

But yeah, I really just wanted to say I feel you.
Maybe try lowering your writing goal? Or if you don't have one set a really low goal so that you can at least get in the habit and then go from there.
Yesterday I am managed to finish a chapter that was giving me troubles, wheeeeeeeeee. I also did a rough layout of the next chapter and will be tackling it soon.

Today I jumped to another project to sort of plot out the plot layout of a new project that was rattling in my head and I didn't want it to get lost, I don't like jumping between project but if I didn't do this then my brain would just get clogged up and I would end up struggling on my Novel.

Tomorrow I have a application form to fill out, but after that I want to make a start on chapter 10.

Also does anyone get that giddy feeling of excitement when they are writing? I got it yesterday and today.
Really appreciate the replies. Not sure how I'm going to tackle it yet, but I'll find someway to overcome.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Got a weird piece published over at Tin House online yesterday.

Regarding Lichen

I workshopped this thing in my circle and no one got it. To be honest, I'm not sure how it got accepted. Guess the lesson is if you believe in a piece, keep submitting!

Got a weird piece published over at Tin House online yesterday.

Regarding Lichen

I workshopped this thing in my circle and no one got it. To be honest, I'm not sure how it got accepted. Guess the lesson is if you believe in a piece, keep submitting!
I don't know what the fuck I just read, but I liked it. My favorite line from near the end, "Is one half of lichen, bereft of partner, still considered lichen?"

So after a much-needed day off with sleeping in and some Vitamin D tablets, I'm feeling pretty good and fixing the hell out of the first few chapters of my book. Apparently when I'm not depressed it reads better.

Crazy.

A few hours into editing (almost three), and between the coffee, chocolate chip cookies, and nonstop black metal, I'm happy with the progress. Making some tweaks and changes, but not on the level I had feared.

Kind of convinced that the reasons people don't like this book are a mix of style and wrong expectations. Like, I'm sorry someone hates John but I can't just kill him because the only straight man in the whole novel is a straight man. The book is too chaotic without him.

Khaz

Hey there, I was looking for people who knew how to write nice stuff in English. I have a couple of phrases translated from Spanish that I sort of get the meaning of, but I can't find a nice way to put them in English. I'm not a native speaker myself.

Is it ok if I put them here?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Hey there, I was looking for people who knew how to write nice stuff in English. I have a couple of phrases translated from Spanish that I sort of get the meaning of, but I can't find a nice way to put them in English. I'm not a native speaker myself.

Is it ok if I put them here?

So you just want someone to help pretty them up? Because I love prettying sentences up!

zulux21

So you just want someone to help pretty them up? Because I love prettying sentences up!

I was going to be a smart ass and google translate something like "I imagine that making sentences pretty really does give you joy."

but then it spit out...

"The images that are beautiful phrases give you the greatest joy." (in georgian it's გამოსახულებები, რომლებსაც ლამაზი ფრაზები უდიდეს სიხარულს მოგცემთ. :p)

which... I actually kind of like lol.

but yeah we are in general here to help in this thread. I suck at pretty sentences unless I am writing for a certain character, but I can try helping as well, and then flowers can do it better.

Khaz

Damn, I'm out of my league here ^^

Here's the thing I'm trying to adapt. A friend gave me the translation, the bit in bold is what bothers me. I get the meaning, but it just sounds weird.

Quiero advertiros que en esta abadia suceden cosas muy extrañas. Alguien no quiere que los monjes decidan por si solos lo que deben saber
I must warn you, very strange things are happening in this abbey. Someone wants to decide what the monks must and must not know.

google gave me that crap:
i want to warn that in that abbey there are very strange things. someone does not want monkeys to decide only what should know

Here's the thing I'm trying to adapt. A friend gave me the translation, the bit in bold is what bothers me. I get the meaning, but it just sounds weird.

Quiero advertiros que en esta abadia suceden cosas muy extrañas. Alguien no quiere que los monjes decidan por si solos lo que deben saber
I must warn you, very strange things are happening in this abbey. Someone wants to decide what the monks must and must not know.

i want to warn that in that abbey there are very strange things. someone does not want monkeys to decide only what should know

I mean, this is gold right here. I dunno why you need someone to fix it.

zulux21

as I said cleaning up stuff isn't my strongest suit. but I imagine you could clean that up a bit by switching it to something like "decide what the monks are allowed to know" with it implied that the stuff they aren't allowed to know is stuff they must not know. though that lacks the emphasis on them having stuff they must know, thus if you need them to know certain things, that doesn't really work for that.

you could also go more involved

"Someone wants to decide what knowledge the monks must have ingrained to their memory, while also hiding knowledge that is forbidden to learn"

but again, I am sure flowers will help you far more, as they are much better at this thing than me lol. (I at least tried >.>)

Khaz

It might help to have a little more context here. Is it more important the monks don't know what's happening, that someone is keeping them from finding out, or that someone is literally deciding what they do or don't need to know? Do the monks even matter?

right, context. This is said by another monk to the main character, investigating. In the plot, the main librarian has books on a strict lock down and decides if the person asking for one (to read or copy) can have it or not. This is apparently how it works here. In the story, the librarian is hiding subversive books, that no one knows he has. It's unlikely that the character speaking knows about this plot point though.

I think this phrase is about exposure to the reader of the abbey rules, and was just terribly written by the original author.

gakkyuu

Neo Member
Hello GAF!

Long-time lurker, this is my first post. I'm applying for a Master scholarship and I have to prove that I deserve it by providing four brief articles that each answers a specific question. I have already written the first one, but I just wanted to get feedback on the clarity of my writing and vocabulary selection and everything. English isn't my native language. If anyone is willing to help kindly PM me. Thanks in advance!

Landford

Banned
Hello GAF!

Long-time lurker, this is my first post. I'm applying for a Master scholarship and I have to prove that I deserve it by providing four brief articles that each answers a specific question. I have already written the first one, but I just wanted to get feedback on the clarity of my writing and vocabulary selection and everything. English isn't my native language. If anyone is willing to help kindly PM me. Thanks in advance!

I cant promise you I will read them like, today, but if you want I can help you as soon as I can :)

I thought about two titles, that encapsulate the story Im going for, but I cant decide wich one I would use. My favorite is "On the Garden of the Demiurge" or "The Demiurge Children", but friends tell me something like that would "never sell", so I came up with "Under the Scarlet Sun" wich people liked more because it was simpler.

I cant promise you I will read them like, today, but if you want I can help you as soon as I can :)

I thought about two titles, that encapsulate the story Im going for, but I cant decide wich one I would use. My favorite is "On the Garden of the Demiurge" or "The Demiurge Children", but friends tell me something like that would "never sell", so I came up with "Under the Scarlet Sun" wich people liked more because it was simpler.
Yeah, that last title is certainly easier to say/spell. If I have to self publish The Grimoire Library I might change the title to The Spellbook Library for that reason.

Had to do a title change for the video game I'm making because no one could pronounce the fantasy name in it.

Big ol' sigh, but I think it's all for the better.

MilkBeard

Submitted a story to Metamorphosis. Reading through their process, I have found that they actually give some light critique of the story whether it is accepted or denied, which is a nice little bonus.

Curious to see what they say.

Edit: Rejected, but they gave some good advice on the story. I'm not sure if I would be able to implement it the way they wanted in this particular story, but it was something to think about.

Top Bottom