• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrong version DLC purchased on PSN - please help!

goonergaz

Essentially my daughter bought the Far Cry 4 DLC whilst it was on offer, however shes accidentally bought the PS3 version DLC (from the web) and owns the PS4 version of the game.

I have to say looking at the website it seems an easy enough mistake to have if you're not paying attention.

Anyway, does anyone know the chances of getting the DLC swapped - who the correct contact is? Anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks in advance :)

Alo0oy

Banned
Contact customer support.

I once bought a DLC accidentally that was already part of a large DLC bundle (I think it was AC: Brotherhood or Revelations), after contacting their live chat, I got a refund the next day.

goonergaz

WTF!? this is BS

Hi Miss,

Thanks for your e-mail about your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

I can see from your e-mail that you'd like a refund for your recent purchase of Far Cry 4 Season Pass from the PlayStation Store. Regrettably, as stated in the PlayStation Network Terms of Service, we are unable to offer a refund for purchases made on PlayStation Store unless the content is found to be defective. As this content is not cross-buy, unfortunately it's not possible to amend the version of the Season Pass.

For your reference, our Terms of Service can be found here .

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Stuart
PlayStation Support

Kadin

I would reply to that and make it clear, if you didn't already, that you're not asking for a refund exactly. You're simply asking for the proper version of the DLC. I can't see how they can honestly refuse to do that.

1) Sony clearly doesn't have a defined policy about this, which is why 5 different people will get 5 different answers about refunds from PSN

2) Call them, and continue calling them until someone says okay

1) Sony clearly doesn't have a defined policy about this, which is why 5 different people will get 5 different answers about refunds from PSN

2) Call them, and continue calling them until someone says okay

This.

I don't have a PlayStation but this is usually how it works over on the Xbox side. It's a simple mistake. I don't see why they couldn't help you out.

I don't get it. Is Sony's customer support really this poor? It seems like multiple times a week we're hearing these types of stories, and every time, it seems like Sony's response is, "Go suck a big dick."

Yaari

WTF!? this is BS

Hi Miss,

Thanks for your e-mail about your Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account.

I can see from your e-mail that you'd like a refund for your recent purchase of Far Cry 4 Season Pass from the PlayStation Store. Regrettably, as stated in the PlayStation Network Terms of Service, we are unable to offer a refund for purchases made on PlayStation Store unless the content is found to be defective. As this content is not cross-buy, unfortunately it's not possible to amend the version of the Season Pass.

For your reference, our Terms of Service can be found here .

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions please contact PlayStation Support using the contact details below or by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Stuart
PlayStation Support

I'd go to their chat and you might find a different answer there. They will always tell you about their ToS. Sometimes they will just honor the request.

goonergaz

There's no live chat for UK as far as I can tell, we tried calling initially and got this answer hence the email.

I have replied restating it was a cock-up on my part and happy to pay the extra to upgrade, if I had bought something from a shop and not used it I would be entitled to a refund.

TBH MS was worse when I accidentally paid for XBL - they said they had actioned a refund and it never happened!!

If this email doesn't work I will get my daughter to call one more time before escalating, but TBH I think it's an expensive lesson learned :(

Eusis

Yeah, you gotta be careful, and it's disappointing the UK support just shut you down. I got a refund to re-buy DA:I when I screwed up and grabbed the PS3 version, and even then they were warning that it's NOT in their policy to issue refunds or anything, but in this one case they'd make an exception. I'd wonder if I'd get another "exception" if it happened again in a year or whatever, but it's better to not risk it without a solid, automated "you fucked up so lets fix it" system.
Or maybe if developers/publishers/retailers would stop being lame and just fully embrace cross buy across a family of platforms as long as the versions weren't fundamentally different to warrant being treated differently.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Weird, the live chat has worked for me the two or three times I've had to use it. I wonder why they don't have the service over there?

But even then, if you are in the UK, can't you cite some law to get a refund? I know that people use that to get Valve to offer refunds on Steam. the UK is like the only region in the world where they seem obligated to do so.

I just managed to pull this off with my Battlefield Hardline order. I was so concerned about clicking on the standard edition instead of the deluxe that I didn't notice that for some reason the PS3 versions were the ones prominently listed under "New Games". I guess I'm trying my luck with chat support when they're open.

goonergaz

I just managed to pull this off with my Battlefield Hardline order. I was so concerned about clicking on the standard edition instead of the deluxe that I didn't notice that for some reason the PS3 versions were the ones prominently listed under "New Games". I guess I'm trying my luck with chat support when they're open.

It's easily done if you're not paying full attention...

graywolf323

Gold Member
chocoholic_123 is her PSN ID and the DLC is Far Cry 4 season pass we need to swap the purchased PS3 version for PS4 one (last time we buy stuff via the web lol)

nothing wrong with buying stuff via the web store, it says both on the product page and in your cart which platform it's for

goonergaz

nothing wrong with buying stuff via the web store, it says both on the product page and in your cart which platform it's for

It would be better if you could select which version - so you find the DLC you want (in this case Far Cry 4 season pass) and then when you buy it asks which version.

TBH it was her first purchase via the store and if you're in a hurry it's easy to overlook it and with many things being cross-buy it's also a reason things should be a little clearer.

Anyway, it's a genuine mistake - the lesson has been learnt, but if this were a physical item we'd be able to get a refund/replacement, I'm sure Sony could easily see she has never even played the PS3 version of the game and a lot of time playing the PS4 version so it's not like she's pulling a fast one.

Jennifer: I'm afraid that the pre order can't be changed from one console to another, but what I can do is to process a refund request for you.
You: That would be great, so I should just go ahead and purchase the PS4 version now, yes?
Jennifer: Yes you can do that. According to the PlayStation User Agreement all sales are final, but I will submit your request for review so that our Network Team can look at your specific situation. Please note, I cannot guarantee a refund will be processed.

If your refund request is granted, all funds will be returned to your PSN wallet. Please allow 3-5 business days for your refund to be processed. You will be notified via email once a decision has been made.
It's a little disconcerting that they wouldn't commit to refunding the purchase, but I'm optimistic that the "Network Team" will cut me a break.

Krakn3Dfx

I've done the web chat thing with them 3 times, was given the "we'll put the request in, can't guarantee, blah blah blah, 3-5 days" thing each time, and within 24 hours the credit was back in my PSN account.

Hopefully it works out in the end, and yeah, Sony needs to work on their customer service on all fronts.

goonergaz

Its a real shame Sony don't do the online chat in the UK!

I've contacted Ubi also in the hope someone will do something - I will get my daughter to try calling again tomorrow...fingers crossed!

jediyoshi

I don't get it. Is Sony's customer support really this poor? It seems like multiple times a week we're hearing these types of stories, and every time, it seems like Sony's response is, "Go suck a big dick."

That's because people are more inclined to write about something when it's shitty as opposed to when it works.

I got charged for PSN through automatic renewal recently and got it refunded in 5 minutes. Success.

DOWN

Banned
Its a real shame Sony don't do the online chat in the UK!

I've contacted Ubi also in the hope someone will do something - I will get my daughter to try calling again tomorrow...fingers crossed!
Why aren't you just calling Sony?

goonergaz

That and she had already tried with no joy.

Just got the latest reply from Sony:

"Unfortunately we cannot issue a refund for this nor can we transfer it to the correct version as when you have downloaded the content you have also acquired the rights to the content and this is non-transferable."

Interesting, how can she download it when she doesn't have a PS3? He went on to say she will need to buy the correct version if that's what she wants.

What a joke, Sony I love you but really!?

Yagharek

"Unfortunately we cannot issue a refund for this nor can we transfer it to the correct version as when you have downloaded the content you have also acquired the rights to the content and this is non-transferable."

Interesting, how can she download it when she doesn't have a PS3? He went on to say she will need to buy the correct version if that's what she wants.

Try emailing ubisoft and see if they can help you out? they're probably as useless as sony customer "service" but its worth a shot at this point.

Pikma

Banned
It's not just Sony, sadly, every other platform holder does this except for, maybe, Origin/EA.

I done the same thing, buying Fifa 14 on PS3 instead of PS4 back at launch.

Still arguing with Sony about it today.

Seems like SCEA will refund mistakes to the wallet, but SCEE just flick the V's at you.

gogogow

Fucking terrible customer service. How can this be legal? If you bought the wrong item in a store, you can return it. It's not like the OP wants to keep the FC4 DLC for the PS3 version. Can't they withdraw the license and issue a refund? Don't they have such system in place? If these platform holders wants people to buy games and dlc from their digital services they need to have some competent customer service when honest mistakes like this happens.

Google gives you 2 hours to get a refund for Play Store purchases and Apple gives you 14 fucking days (in Europe) for iTunes purchases, no questions asked.

Podge293

You could try use the EU commissions ruling that you're allowed a refund up until the point the download begins.

If the download never begun (and that's what I'm getting after reading all the above) then they're legally obliged to refund you the full cost back to your credit/debit card rather than PSN credit.

it's a fine line but I'd guess quoting EU legislation at them would make them give the refund since you're in the right

Also aren't you legally entitled to a refund 14 days after purchase?

Anticol

Banned
Go through the web support option. They'll most likely refund you for the purchase.

Really? Then the PSN customer service in Australia sucks, I made the same mistake with Destiny and tried to contact them 3 times at the third time I got yelled at through the phone and the guy told me they didn't get any money out of the dlc's sales, so I had to contact Bungie directly if I wanted a refund.

DrDamn

You've got something to run with there, she couldn't have downloaded the content therefore she hasn't acquired the rights. I don't think who you are dealing with has actually understood the issue properly. Re-iterate that it was via the web, that you haven't and couldn't have downloaded anything.

Fucking terrible customer service. How can this be legal?
Legality =/= nice. You agree to Sony's terms of service when you shop on their store.

I want them to change this to a system where as long as you haven't downloaded the product you have x hours for a refund, but there's nothing illegal happening.

hodgy100

You could try use the EU commissions ruling that you're allowed a refund up until the point the download begins.

If the download never begun (and that's what I'm getting after reading all the above) then they're legally obliged to refund you the full cost back to your credit/debit card rather than PSN credit.

it's a fine line but I'd guess quoting EU legislation at them would make them give the refund since you're in the right

Also aren't you legally entitled to a refund 14 days after purchase?

yup, the uk put in a consumer right last year for "remote contracts" covering digital purchases that says you are allowed a refund for ANY reason up to 14 days after purchase.

Legality =/= nice. You agree to Sony's terms of service when you shop on their store.

I want them to change this to a system where as long as you haven't downloaded the product you have x hours for a refund, but there's nothing illegal happening.

there is such a thing as the unfair contract terms act which invalidates the terms of a contract if they infringe consumer rights.

Top Bottom