• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

[WSJ] A Generation of American Men Give Up on College: ‘I Just Feel Lost’

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Jun 9, 2004
Canadia
He said decolonising mathematics means curricula decisions are made locally, are transparent, and they enable teachers to be accountable to their immediate society and ensures teachers can publicly explain why they teach what they do.
Yup, more than pathetic actually. Which teacher is accountable for their immediate society when students are not even from that region usually? We're competing with Indians and Chinese, which are even coming to our universities, and they sure don't care about indigenous feelings and how they feel about math. And that's from a former lecture in university in STEMs. Humanities should be scrapped from colleges altogether and society would be better for it.

Kazekage1981

Apr 7, 2019
getting a job while going to school is part of the experience. Financial responsibility a d prioritization of time. Or just mire yourself in debt. Your choice.
So any person with a family who genuinely wants to improve their life seeking a higher paying job through some sort of degree has to weigh in the pros and cons on whether or not its even worth it. Most likely that person CANNOT afford it, and must borrow federal student loans which are NOT forgivable, and at same time SACRIFICE time away from family dedicated to their studies ASSUMING everything is fine and dandy and there are no unfortunate circumstances such as: personal sickness, family sickness, loss of income from spouse, death in family, and ASSUMING you are passing your courses. College and Universities are NOT worth it.

Their is no shame working at walmart, amazon, uber or whatever as long as you master your own personal finances as stated in my previous post. Getting a degree in something does not necessarily guarantee you getting a job. Even if you do meet all the criteria's of the job qualifications, why should they hire you when they can hire the same person from india and china and pay a whole lot less, and not have to worry about U.S. labor laws?

Back to OP, even though there are more females enrolled in college, does not mean that they are getting degrees that are related to the advancements of science and technology. They are all bullshit liberal arts degrees. At best its nursing, social worker, psychology and pharmacy.

Even STEM fields are now chastised by fascist feminazi propaganda because it is 'dominated' by men, and women need to conquer that. When women enter it, and they find it 'hard' society must be more nurturing, encouraging and increasing their self confidence so they wont drop out.

The U.S. Education system is broken and hijacked by liberal arts and feminist garbage, rising tuition costs, unpaid federal loan debt, and its a bubble thats about to explode in the same manner as the Subprime mortgage crises back in 2008.

I would rather have piece of mind that I dont have any debt with no degree vs a Ph.D. with $500,000 of unpaid federal loan debt.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: p_xavier
Sep 11, 2019
East of Eden
Yup, more than pathetic actually. Which teacher is accountable for their immediate society when students are not even from that region usually? We're competing with Indians and Chinese, which are even coming to our universities, and they sure don't care about indigenous feelings and how they feel about math. And that's from a former lecture in university in STEMs. Humanities should be scrapped from colleges altogether and society would be better for it.

The federal study in Canada I posted regarding the decolonization of math involves research into introducing mathematical principles attached to different cultural anchors with the early and progressive education of Indigenous children.
These foreign students aren't necessarily involved with this research or teaching Indigenous children, unless that's part of their program. In which case they may find they may have to recognize the humanity of the Indigenous as part of that course., taught to if they don't already and show the capacity.

Humanities should be scrapped from colleges altogether and society would be better for it.
LOL Society would be better if people didn't study it? Wonder why someone would feel that way?

Last edited:

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005
Not speaking for his experience but my roommate tells me stories all of the time about these kind of things happening to him. We even talked last night about a time that communism was pushed onto him in his school.
The point is, that is your anecdotal experience but it does not discount everyone else.
The only one I remember from my college days is when we had the section in history class talking about bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Pretty much the TA let us know that it was completely unjustified, the Japanese were going to give up any second and the Russians were only days from invading Japan as well. (Yes, I know there were battles in Manchuria but wasn't talked about very much is how hard it is to do a amphibious landing.) Suffice it to say I made the mistake of trying to argue against that on the test and I didn't get a particularly good grade on it. Then again my University had Howard Zinn so I was an idiot to go against the grain there.

dave_d

Jan 31, 2005
I think if someone went to your HS 20-25 years ago and said "Just go to college, you will be better off guaranteed." they would have been correct at that point in time. I don't think the administrative and degree bloat had started to become so monstrous until the early 2000s.
Pretty much. I mean when I was younger a lot of places who hired office workers would hire pretty much any degree because at least back then it proved you'd shown up on time and could follow instructions. (Because if you can at least do that they can teach you the rest.) Not sure how true that is today.

gatti-man

Aug 30, 2010
So any person with a family who genuinely wants to improve their life seeking a higher paying job through some sort of degree has to weigh in the pros and cons on whether or not its even worth it. Most likely that person CANNOT afford it, and must borrow federal student loans which are NOT forgivable, and at same time SACRIFICE time away from family dedicated to their studies ASSUMING everything is fine and dandy and there are no unfortunate circumstances such as: personal sickness, family sickness, loss of income from spouse, death in family, and ASSUMING you are passing your courses. College and Universities are NOT worth it.

Their is no shame working at walmart, amazon, uber or whatever as long as you master your own personal finances as stated in my previous post. Getting a degree in something does not necessarily guarantee you getting a job. Even if you do meet all the criteria's of the job qualifications, why should they hire you when they can hire the same person from india and china and pay a whole lot less, and not have to worry about U.S. labor laws?

Back to OP, even though there are more females enrolled in college, does not mean that they are getting degrees that are related to the advancements of science and technology. They are all bullshit liberal arts degrees. At best its nursing, social worker, psychology and pharmacy.

Even STEM fields are now chastised by fascist feminazi propaganda because it is 'dominated' by men, and women need to conquer that. When women enter it, and they find it 'hard' society must be more nurturing, encouraging and increasing their self confidence so they wont drop out.

The U.S. Education system is broken and hijacked by liberal arts and feminist garbage, rising tuition costs, unpaid federal loan debt, and its a bubble thats about to explode in the same manner as the Subprime mortgage crises back in 2008.

I would rather have piece of mind that I dont have any debt with no degree vs a Ph.D. with $500,000 of unpaid federal loan debt.
It’s not an either or situation dude. I know you’re trying to make it that way bc your argument is trash without it. You can work and budget and graduate with sub 20k in debt. It’s not impossible. Loans were never meant to be a license not to work and just go to school and party. The rest of your post is just a fever dream of nonsense from someone whose never even been to college.

Not speaking for his experience but my roommate tells me stories all of the time about these kind of things happening to him. We even talked last night about a time that communism was pushed onto him in his school.
The point is, that is your anecdotal experience but it does not discount everyone else.
I already said students sure. Professors? No. They teach curriculums that are strictly monitored. If you take a class about communism yeah it might push that on you it’s the curriculum. For example I took a Chinese govt class and had to memorize a ton of shit about communism the pluses and minuses of it etc. it’s extremely rare for a professor to be accused of indoctrination by their students. And both sides are present at colleges. I can tell you Atleast 30 times some extreme right dude shouting scripture at me while on the bus or walking to class. The environment is radical but that’s not the classrooms fault that’s the nature of colleges. They’ve been a point of social change since the 50s.

Again a lot of this stuff is brought forward by people who have never even been to college or are unaware of how rigorous the standards of curriculums are. People lose tenure/get fired over pushing ideology beyond the basic curriculum.

Last edited:

Kazekage1981

Apr 7, 2019
It’s not an either or situation dude. I know you’re trying to make it that way bc your argument is trash without it. You can work and budget and graduate with sub 20k in debt. It’s not impossible. Loans were never meant to be a license not to work and just go to school and party. The rest of your post is just a fever dream of nonsense from someone whose never even been to college.
Are you assuming that I have never been to college? Are you assuming that a person with a family goes to school to party? Are you assuming that everyone can work with a budget and graduate with sub 20k in debt? Are you assuming that people borrow federal student loans to go to school to party and drop out when they had their fill of partying?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I already said students sure. Professors? No. They teach curriculums that are strictly monitored. If you take a class about communism yeah it might push that on you it’s the curriculum. For example I took a Chinese govt class and had to memorize a ton of shit about communism the pluses and minuses of it etc. it’s extremely rare for a professor to be accused of indoctrination by their students. And both sides are present at colleges. I can tell you Atleast 30 times some extreme right dude shouting scripture at me while on the bus or walking to class. The environment is radical but that’s not the classrooms fault that’s the nature of colleges. They’ve been a point of social change since the 50s.

Again a lot of this stuff is brought forward by people who have never even been to college or are unaware of how rigorous the standards of curriculums are. People lose tenure/get fired over pushing ideology beyond the basic curriculum.
How are you telling people what their lived experiences are? Were you there? 😂

manfestival

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2009

You may be right you may be wrong. Was just telling the story from my roommate and that is his experience. He has told me stories of students as well and that is to be expected. Also was not talking about environment either. You can craft whatever you scenario you want from the environment. Not even a point that I was making.

evolvaer

Dec 30, 2019
Chicago
You're still talking nonsense.

What are you talking about? There are protections for borrowers and regulations for the servicers of the loans. Many of which are covered in Title VI of the HEA. For example student loans are one of the few loans in America where you have IBR. You are guaranteed access to loans.

The bolded is especially stupid. What exactly is the government suppose to regulate there? Does the college have to pay for you to be employed?

Again, what? Are colleges supposed to be held responsible for the overall job market?

You pay for school, to earn a degree that symbolizes to the job market you have a certain level of knowledge and skill. That's it. It is not a guarantee you will be gainfully employed.

Protecting people from what? A bad economy? Unemployment?

You're essentially saying "people are unemployed, so regulate universities"...that makes no sense.

Stop bitching about fox news and read a book

You're telling me to read a book when you have a hard time reading along my statement.

What is the government supposed to protect you from? The same thing it protects businesses it bails out and wallstreet when recessions hit and pandemics break out. These protections exist for some groups, but not consumers/individuals going to college, doing the work to get the degree, then graduating to a market or economy that doesn't support that degree.

How about make college degree loan repayments tied to salaries of graduates. A percentage of what you make goes to your college. The college has an incentive to deal you competitive skills so it makes more money off you. Instead of a guaranteed check regardless of how it services or scams it's consumers, students.

Stop bitching and read a book, snow flake!

Razvedka

Oct 20, 2018
Not true. Academic rigor is fully intact at competitive universities and in STEM programs virtually everywhere. "Studies" majors are easier than most other options, but there have always been useless, lower effort majors at schools, e.g. Communications.
I dunno man. My Masters is in Cybersecurity and it’s a cakewalk. Bachelors in Web Tech was marginally more difficult, but the best education I ever received in terms of ‘courses’ were my Udacity Nanodegrees and the learning materials in the OSCP (failed, need to retake it sometime. Brutal.).

I’m worried for STEM.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
How many of you have grad degrees? Were they super easy?

My MBA was the easiest shit ever. You cant fail as long as you show up and hand in tests and case work. Lowest mark you could get is a C.

My undergrad was easier. So was the MBA entry GMAT test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazekage1981
Oct 5, 2013
The American education system is garbage for multiple reasons:

-Liberal Art credits needed to obtain the degree you need which has nothing to do with your major (especially related to STEM field)
-Liberal Art classes are mostly propaganda fueled by misguided leftist ideologies like feminism
The 1981 your birth year? Anyway it is mine, I was in college 20 years ago and yep. For my CS degree we were outright required to get a minor. A lot of people did Math since there was a lot of crossover and it wasn't that many more classes. But we also had Diversity Flag requirements, and I liked History so I went with that for my minor. Women in American History was one of the diversity classes I had to take. Absolutely mind numbing and brutal. It was a lot of "this guy died and his wife took over the ranch and she ran it way better" type stories. Like, whatever, I didn't expect that class to be good.

I also took American History I and II during the same semester... American History II was cool, went through all the 20th century stuff. World Wars. Causes. Labor unrest. Civil rights. Nothing preachy. American History I on the other hand was just all Civil War and slavery. It was like the 1619 project or whatever but two decades earlier. Literally everything was taught through the lens of slavery. It barely even had time to talk about Manifest Destiny and all the shit that happened to Native Americans. Because slavery.

Meanwhile the Liberal Arts people sure as hell didn't have to take anything STEM related. Or even have high school level math. Hell the Communications majors for some reason got an easier pared back version of the Public Speaking class that was required of us.
-Rising Tuition costs
-Garbage Professors
For my Freshman year I went to a Catholic university. I had a year long 'symposium' moral philosophy class for freshman, basically just an essay writing class for the most part. I got exactly one A on a paper in that class and it's the only one I wrote from a 'leftist' perspective. Didn't matter how well written the paper was. Didn't matter how you got to your conclusion from basic moral principles that were in the assigned reading material. If you for example argued against broad abortion rights, you would not get better than a C under any circumstances. The prof. was there to push feminist talking points and that was that. She was actually so bad I transferred out of there to a state school which as noted above had its own issues but on the bright side it was half the cost.
-Rising costs of supplies: books, etc
-Dedicated investment of time for projects, studying and preparing for tests, papers and not having time for anything else.
-Extremely difficult to have a part time job or a full time job while trying to finish your major (no income coming in)
Between the work-study programs, the loans, and working for my parents over the summers I did okay. Wish I did my full four years at state, or even better a year of community college to knock out some pre-reqs intelligently on the cheap. But let's face it, you go around talking about how you're going to go to community college during your senior year of high school and people look at you like you're retarded.
College and Universities are NOT worth it.

I tend to agree at this point. Everything of value that I learned in college is now up for free on YouTube done by people who are actually interested in teaching the topic. Like sure there were some good professors in my college days. But there were a lot more "I wrote a shitty book on this topic and like to sniff my own farts" types. For fuck's sake if those guys taught from better books than the ones they wrote those classes would have been a lot better.

Just figured I'd chime in because gatti-man is full of it.

Kazekage1981

Apr 7, 2019
P Pegasus Actual yes my birth year is 1981, I went to graduate school, I have a doctorate degree but not academic (Ph.D.) I graduated at the right time, and got in to the right job, otherwise I would have been super fucked.
I had no help from family, no scholarships, granted I did live with my parents to go to college, and I was fortunate my dad was the main earner with my moms secondary income and lived in my room in the basement at the time.
Back then it was the thing to do because everyone was pushing for you to go to college because that was the only way to earn more income.

20 years later, you just have so many more options now and going to college is just not necessary. You have so much more access to information with the internet evolving. You can learn how to code instead of enrolling in college courses, you can learn how to paint by watching YouTube videos, etc.

Financial literacy and education is the key for your security and happiness. You dont need to 'major' in anything to get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pegasus Actual

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Trade schools, y'all, trade schools.

If I knew I was going into IT/security and not law I probably wouldn't have attended UGA... I would have gotten a tech degree from a local tech school and some certs.

I knew a guy with a Physics degree who moved appliances for Lowe's.

I truly think women have the ability to focus more and organize themselves more that is required of higher education... men are more hands-on and do better in a working as you learn environment. That's JMO from being in higher education and tradeskill industries.

Umbasaborne

Dec 21, 2020
I think an issue is that college pushes hard basic fundamentals. History, english, mathmatics, biology. Students get so worried about passing these “core” classes that they often lose track of why they were there in the first place. It doesnt help that colleges don’t do much in the way of offering actual career training.

Kazekage1981

Apr 7, 2019
I truly think women have the ability to focus more and organize themselves more that is required of higher education... men are more hands-on and do better in a working as you learn environment. That's JMO from being in higher education and tradeskill industries.
It starts from elementary school, they treat boys like defective girls

I know Milo is a controversial person, but i think this video is a good video on feminist hysteria

Other videos:

AJUMP23

Sep 29, 2020
How many of you have grad degrees? Were they super easy?

My MBA was the easiest shit ever. You cant fail as long as you show up and hand in tests and case work. Lowest mark you could get is a C.

My undergrad was easier. So was the MBA entry GMAT test.
Just finished mine back in May. The last year was fairly easy. The first 2 semesters were pretty strenuous with Test and writing assignments. Lots of writing that I made sure i completed on time. There were also lots of team projects, but I found a good core and we aced all of that stuff.

Oct 26, 2018
I think an issue is that college pushes hard basic fundamentals. History, english, mathmatics, biology. Students get so worried about passing these “core” classes that they often lose track of why they were there in the first place. It doesnt help that colleges don’t do much in the way of offering actual career training.
I dont know what it's like now in HS and college, but when I did it I find one major issue is the material is so canned and force fed many students will lose interest. Myself included. I did well in school as a whole, but got to say things like Calculus, Algebra, English and even Business (which I took as a career) is so canned with textbook examples which the teacher just regurgitates it can be boring as shit.

I totally get it the kids need the basics to know how to process or learn the formulas, but it gets to a point srudents reading the millionth:

- Calculate the derivative of a kite flying at angle x
- Calculate the number of joules if you burn a hunk of carbon
- Company XYZ is selling widgets, calculate the debits/credits etc....

Yawn.

How about after the basics are learned, but give students flexibility to do their own scenarios using what they learned? There's got to be a way teachers can reformat the course curriculum to be more customized for interest than just bee-lining to published material and multiple choices tests. No doubt students would be more engaged.

As I agree (at least when I did school). Zero career advice. Zero budget/finance advice. Not even sure what the guidance counselor even did all day in HS.

Oct 26, 2018
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige and AJUMP23 AJUMP23

how was your tuition paid to earn your MBA?
Paid for it. I had it added to my undergrad loans so I had 3 loans at one time. Two from undergrad, one from grad school. Paid it all off myself on 10 year default payment program.

People should look for free money. Schools can have bursuries. I got a bunch back. All I did back then was fill out some application form hoping they'd say yes. They did. Schools have tons of money they got to get rid of. So sometimes just apply for kickbacks and maybe someone will green light it for you. At worst, you get declined and throw your application in the garbage. Big deal.

Every school's financial assistance office should have all kinds of money to apply for. Just apply to whatever form looks reasonable, and even better..... ones that you do zero work. Some of them might involve you needing to participate finishing a project or something. Forget it.

I also got a small $2000 student loan foregiveness deducted from my statement. I think all I did was apply for financial foregiveness rolling the dice theyd do something. Next thing you know, I got a -$2000 entry on my loan statement.

Last edited:

isual

Jan 5, 2012
I paid for my masters in global security - cybersecurity. it was just a tad bit over 25k. do i have a job in cybersecurity? no; you need hard skills that are related to it. subjectively, it was a waste of 25k, but objective, it feels good have a master's degree. now, do i embellish myself in interviews? yes, but that's the whole point. you make do with what you have. i'm proud of my associates and bachelors, but they're neither stem degrees too.

i currently work for 2 of the FAANG companies at home remotely, making just over 97kUSD/year. not bad, but could better.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Holy shit. Is this what a college education gives you nowadays. The ability to spout talking points? "Bailing out wallstreet" what :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What is the government supposed to protect you from? The same thing it protects businesses it bails out and wallstreet when recessions hit and pandemics break out. These protections exist for some groups, but not consumers/individuals going to college, doing the work to get the degree, then graduating to a market or economy that doesn't support that degree.
Okay, but what exactly is the government supposed to regulate here, Jack?

You do understand when you go to school and get a degree, you are buying a product right? This is not the same as protecting a business or giving you a stimulus check because a once in a century pandemic hit. If you go to school and get a degree in something that has no market value, that isn't a failing of the school or government.

How about make college degree loan repayments tied to salaries of graduates. A percentage of what you make goes to your college. The college has an incentive to deal you competitive skills so it makes more money off you. Instead of a guaranteed check regardless of how it services or scams it's consumers, students.
They are...

An income-driven repayment plan sets your monthly student loan payment at an amount that is intended to be affordable based on your income and family size.

and many schools and post-secondary training are doing income shared agreements

So just to be clear, your great regulation idea is to do what people have already been doing for years? Wow, such innovation

It's obvious you have done zero research on this, and you are just talking out of your ass, snowflake

Last edited:

evolvaer

Dec 30, 2019
Chicago
Holy shit. Is this what a college education gives you nowadays. The ability to spout talking points? "Bailing out wallstreet" what :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Okay, but what exactly is the government supposed to regulate here, Jack?

You do understand when you go to school and get a degree, you are buying a product right? This is not the same as protecting a business or giving you a stimulus check because a once in a century pandemic hit. If you go to school and get a degree in something that has no market value, that isn't a failing of the school or government.

They are...

An income-driven repayment plan sets your monthly student loan payment at an amount that is intended to be affordable based on your income and family size.

and many schools and post-secondary training are doing income shared agreements

So just to be clear, your great regulation idea is to do what people have already been doing for years? Wow, such innovation

It's obvious you have done zero research on this, and you are just talking out of your ass, snowflake

I listed specific example of a generation of graduates who have been disenfranchised after attending colleges thru no fault of their own.

I stated several possible solutions thru regulations. Your rebuttal is "it's already been done to an extent some where, suck it!" That isn't disagreeing or disproving my point at all.

If you aren't interested in having an honest conversation with logic and facts and simply want to troll online, have at it. I've stated my points and you've not disputed anything other than mud slinging. It's clear you haven't done any real research.

Go do some bootstrappin', snow flake :)

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
I'm going to call it just as I see it now, today, unlike what I thought when I was in college over a decade ago.

Colleges strive to provide students with a balance of other ideas, especially other cultural ideas. For me, this meant taking a cultural course elective, a history course elective, a government course elective, and a psychology course elective (or something that resulted in me sitting in a Psych class). While women's studies and gender studies were options on those lists, I chose Native American studies, world history, and economics. I was a Comp Sci. student, so of course those were my choices, logically. In Native American studies, we read a book about the atrocities and genocide of the native american people, but thank goodness for my native american professor. He was not woke by any standard, and the chair of native american studies hated him. We learned the facts of the history with no sugar coating, but rather than make it a guilt class we celebrated the many inventions and contributions to modern society that had native american origins, and additionally we learned how over half the classroom had native american ancestry and many people sitting in that class could even formally join tribes now (which had only recently became possible for many people with lesser percentages of ancestry). He was not divisive and didn't point a finger -- that was his crime.

I've no doubt all of that has changed drastically. He was fired a couple of years after I had taken the class. Or he left.

Any ideas that conservatism has an equal platform to speak from at colleges is a delusion. My entire college stint was filled with the university's attempts to sweep christian groups completely off campus while still offering much of campus as being open to the greater community for events and community purposes (church is a community purpose, isn't it?). The university was incredibly lax/lenient on activities promoting diversity and sexual identities even going so far as to allow students to parade virtually ass naked (more like dudes in drag could wear assless chaps and swing their dicks while walking through the Union Building) but attempts to host and invite students to celebrate european or german food were rejected. We were told there was plenty of space off campus for it but that university wouldn't back or sponsor it. Really, you would have thought we pitched a Nazi rally event to them with the way they received our request. We were treated rudely. Last I checked, german food is actually hard to find in America...

And that's the environment we all felt back then as conservatives. There is a hostility towards anything that doesn't forward their precious agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperBabyMethod
Oct 26, 2018
I'm going to call it just as I see it now, today, unlike what I thought when I was in college over a decade ago.

Colleges strive to provide students with a balance of other ideas, especially other cultural ideas. For me, this meant taking a cultural course elective, a history course elective, a government course elective, and a psychology course elective (or something that resulted in me sitting in a Psych class). While women's studies and gender studies were options on those lists, I chose Native American studies, world history, and economics. I was a Comp Sci. student, so of course those were my choices, logically. In Native American studies, we read a book about the atrocities and genocide of the native american people, but thank goodness for my native american professor. He was not woke by any standard, and the chair of native american studies hated him. We learned the facts of the history with no sugar coating, but rather than make a built class we celebrated the many inventions and contributions to modern society that had native american origins, and additionally we learned how over half the classroom had native american ancestry and many people sitting in that class could even formally join tribes now (which had only recently became possible for many people with lesser percentages of ancestry). He was not divisive and didn't point a finger -- that was his crime.

I've no doubt all of that has changed drastically. He was fired a couple of years after I had taken the class. Or he left.

Any ideas that conservatism has an equal platform to speak from at colleges is a delusion. My entire college stint was filled with the university's attempts to sweep christian groups completely off campus while still offering much of campus as being open to the greater community for events and community purposes (church is a community purpose, isn't it?). The university was incredibly lax/lenient on activities promoting diversity and sexual identities even going so far as to allow students to parade virtually ass naked (more like dudes in drag could wear assless chaps and swing their dicks while walking through the Union Building) but attempts to host and invite students to celebrate european or german food were rejected. We were told there was plenty of space off campus for it but that university wouldn't back or sponsor it. Really, you would have thought we pitched a Nazi rally event to them with the way they received our request. We were treated rudely. Last I checked, german food is actually hard to find in America...

And that's the environment we all felt back then as conservatives. There is a hostility towards anything that doesn't forward their precious agenda.
I did university and grad school over 20 years ago.

The business faculties were just a bunch of students and profs talking dollars, case studies, accounting etc.... Completely zero politics in any way.

One the best classes I took was a business strategy class, in which the prof spent time teaches us how to make effective Powerpoint slides to present, which we did in class as well. But the purpose was to prep us for our careers so we at least have some basics how to do presentations at the office. That was a great class.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
I did university and grad school over 20 years ago.

The business faculties were just a bunch of students and profs talking dollars, case studies, accounting etc.... Completely zero politics in any way.

One the best classes I took was a business strategy class, in which the prof spent time teaches us how to make effective Powerpoint slides to present, which we did in class as well. But the purpose was to prep us for our careers so we at least have some basics how to do presentations at the office. That was a great class.
My school should have spent more time on PPT. It’s definitely one of my weaker skills.

Oct 26, 2018
My school should have spent more time on PPT. It’s definitely one of my weaker skills.
I still remember it today.

And back then, I dont think PPT had all the modern animations and embedding videos and such. At least we didnt use it. You dont have to go too fancy. IN fact in modern day, if you go too fancy with animations, videos, audio files etc.... it fucks up half the time and then the presenter sits there dumbfounded the video he's showing is silent because audio isnt working. And it gets annoying when someone presenting has all kinds of fluffy animations and dumb sound effects when all your goal is that PPT is presenting some analysis and numbers. Save the fancy stuff for a marketing PPT trying to wow an audience.

It was really easy.

For some hand in projects, it was literally no written case. Just hand in lets say a 10 slide PPT based off the case you did.

- Clear header
- Middle part is either some charts and visuals or bullet points (too much text is boring)
- Not too many points. No giant paragraphs. No tiny fonts. Someone at the back of a normal sized board room should be able to see it
- Concluding summary text box at the bottom
- Appendix at the back for detailed stats and charts for the nitty gritty numbers
- And throughout, some basic shit like modest watermarked graphics, page numbering, agenda, putting a reference footer if the info is from a source

Awesome prof. I dont remember his name, but he wasnt one of those stodgy 30 year profs. He had a day job at an office and taught this strategy class for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Voyage
Jan 14, 2018

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I think realizing there are two women for every man on college campuses will have a way of convincing some 18 year old boys to enroll.

• Thoughtful

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Yep, plus a degree shows you were willing to commit to achieving a long-term goal, it's a key differentiator of those with and without one.
Yeah and honestly this is probably why it matter rather than any specific job training. I have a four year degree in an utterly useless field but my field of study seldom ever even comes up in interviews. They just want to know you can do it.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
The men are busy working to pay off their wife’s underwater basket weaving degree. Women take to education like a fish to water, but at least in my life the women I know completely wasted their time in college. I’m the DC area like literally every woman works for some lobbied non-profit social organization.

• Empathy

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
I'm not shocked. Universities in the US and in the UK have become toxic places where far left political ideology runs supreme.

Take the story of Western Washington university implementing black only student housing.

Or Students at St Andrews in the UK being told they must pass diversity and consent modules before they can begin studies.

Yoboman

Sep 17, 2005
I finished high school in 2006 and girls then got far more favourable treatment and expectation to succeed. Pushed to strive for success. Boys were just forgotten by the wayside

Things have only gotten worse. A generation of boys not being led, unguided and those who call out the issue being ostracised

For all the discussion of patriarchy its funny how much feminism has left boys, literal children, to fend for themselves because they have a penis

FStubbs

Aug 29, 2010
I'm not shocked. Universities in the US and in the UK have become toxic places where far left political ideology runs supreme.

Take the story of Western Washington university implementing black only student housing.

Or Students at St Andrews in the UK being told they must pass diversity and consent modules before they can begin studies.

I think the far right would be in support of this too - well, they probably don't support blacks being on campus at all, but if they're forced to, then yeah, segregation.

Last edited:

Ghgghggh1

Banned
Sep 1, 2021

What do you have against black only student housing?

I just hope you arent one of those people who get upset we dont have straight pride parades [hint ,,, everyday is straight pride parade day].

Similarly, since the dominant culture has been genocidally aggressive in its oppresion of woman, lgbtq, non- white ethnicities safe spaces have been an answer to this because until the dominant culture is dismanteled / transformed we cannot have true equality that you and i really want.

• LOL
Reactions: Shaqazooloo
Oct 26, 2018

Wow. Who knew schools still supported segregation in 2021. And here I thought schools were for all students to blend in and learn together on campus.

Looks like anti-segregation has its perks for anti-segregators when you're the one getting the goods.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
I think the far right would be in support of this too - well, they probably don't support blacks being on campus at all, but if they're forced to, then yeah, segregation.

Absolutely they would. I would love to discuss it and also the horseshoe theory, but unfortunately that's stepping into political territory.

We'll just say that universities in the west are no longer places that promote and encourage freedom of thought.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
What do you have against black only student housing?

I just hope you arent one of those people who get upset we dont have straight pride parades [hint ,,, everyday is straight pride parade day].

Similarly, since the dominant culture has been genocidally aggressive in its oppresion of woman, lgbtq, non- white ethnicities safe spaces have been an answer to this because until the dominant culture is dismanteled / transformed we cannot have true equality that you and i really want.
These days I really can never tell if these people are serious or trolling.

Cyberpunkd

Dec 16, 2020
So let me get this straight:

1. Bunch of snowflakes are upset because suddenly not everything is handled to them on a plate (I say this as a 100% straight white male)
2. Women will take a larger % in high paying university degrees, they will go to fill more high-paying jobs
3. Women will earn more and more as compared to uneducated men
4. ???
5. Uneducated men will complain women earn more than their sorry middle-school diploma ass

Reactions: DeafTourette

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
So let me get this straight:

1. Bunch of snowflakes are upset because suddenly not everything is handled to them on a plate (I say this as a 100% straight white male)
2. Women will take a larger % in high paying university degrees, they will go to fill more high-paying jobs
3. Women will earn more and more as compared to uneducated men
4. ???
5. Uneducated men will complain women earn more than their sorry middle-school diploma ass

The point is an entire generation of men feel hopeless in terms of education and career. The system has left them behind as a consequence of all resources & focus being put on minority & female students.

From the article:
Many young men are hobbled by a lack of guidance, a strain of anti-intellectualism and a growing belief that college degrees don’t pay off, said Ed Grocholski, a senior vice president at Junior Achievement USA, which works with about five million students every year to teach about career paths, financial literacy and entrepreneurship.

What I see is there is a kind of hope deficit,” Mr. Grocholski said.

Young men get little help, in part, because schools are focused on encouraging historically underrepresented students. Jerlando Jackson, department chair, Education Leadership and Policy Analysis, at the University of Wisconsin’s School of Education, said few campuses have been willing to spend limited funds on male underachievement that would also benefit white men, risking criticism for assisting those who have historically held the biggest educational advantages.

Also, keep in mind male suicide rates are much higher already for men when compared to women:

Reactions: Fake and gradient

Cyberpunkd

Dec 16, 2020
The point is an entire generation of men feel hopeless in terms of education and career. The system has left them behind as a consequence of all resources & focus being put on minority & female students.
The system has left them behind or the system is simply trying to equalize for historically ignoring women and other under-represented groups? I agree the best scenario would probably be to continue with trying to bring more women and minorities into high education while at the same time not diverting resources from the dominant group, but at the same time this is not what happened for decades when white men were benefitting from the system.

I'm sorry but if we keep sticking to 'men should be manly, don't cry, etc.' then a logical extension of that is not to whine but get your ass moving and try harder. So I do not really see how you can say at the same time that 'men should be men, we shouldn't leave in a PC world, etc.' (which is a position held in rural, Republican, white areas) and at the same time complain you are not getting enough support. I thought 'bootstrap your way to riches and success' is a Republican (and thus blue-collar white workers) credo?

I think the better way would be to put extra emphasis on trade and trade schools - you don't want to go to university? No problem, we will make out of you the best fucking electrician on the planet, and in 5-10 years you are doing the wiring for massive projects worth millions. Want to make furniture? We will give you a know how, the resources and project management skills to create one-of-a-kind custom furniture to sell to rich fucks.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
The system has left them behind or the system is simply trying to equalize for historically ignoring women and other under-represented groups? I agree the best scenario would probably be to continue with trying to bring more women and minorities into high education while at the same time not diverting resources from the dominant group, but at the same time this is not what happened for decades when white men were benefitting from the system.

I'm sorry but if we keep sticking to 'men should be manly, don't cry, etc.' then a logical extension of that is not to whine but get your ass moving and try harder. So I do not really see how you can say at the same time that 'men should be men, we shouldn't leave in a PC world, etc.' (which is a position held in rural, Republican, white areas) and at the same time complain you are not getting enough support. I thought 'bootstrap your way to riches and success' is a Republican (and thus blue-collar white workers) credo?

I think the better way would be to put extra emphasis on trade and trade schools - you don't want to go to university? No problem, we will make out of you the best fucking electrician on the planet, and in 5-10 years you are doing the wiring for massive projects worth millions. Want to make furniture? We will give you a know how, the resources and project management skills to create one-of-a-kind custom furniture to sell to rich fucks.
Nothing you’ve written counteracts what is happening. Intent means nothing. This is tangible.

Tech schools are well and good but how do we motivate the disenfranchised to even enroll?

Oct 26, 2018
Nothing you’ve written counteracts what is happening. Intent means nothing. This is tangible.

Tech schools are well and good but how do we motivate the disenfranchised to even enroll?
Only way I see it is:

1. Government goes ape shit promoting tech schools vs. universities. This is counter to what they really want because academic programs make them more money

2. People are smart enough to push aside media. No tv show, movie or company typically plugs blue collar jobs. It's the glamourized office or white collar job that goes with the territory with nice suburban home or downtown yuppie condo that they mostly show. It's rare the setting or family just got home from work where dad is a welder. It'll instead be "Hey kids, wow that was a tough day at the office" but the image given is it really isnt that bad because they live in a nice house, he's clean in a button shirt, and is possibly a manager too so everyone knows his fictional white collar job he's bossing people around.

3. Parents encourage their kids to go into a field the kid likes, can make some money, and don't artificially push college for the sake of image or what they did in life. I'm sure there's still lots of parents out their hoping their kid becomes a doctor or lawyer. Well, look at that. When I was young, my parents did the same shit to me and my siblings. And why? Money? Prestige? You never hear about parents pushing their kids to be a great contractor or plumber even though some of them can make big money. Every guy I've hired charges like $70/hr for labour. If you're good at it and get gigs, you're pulling in six digits easy. Problem is no matter how successful someone is at this job, no parents who like to brag to their friends wants to say their son is a plumber.

It's a shame too because not every is cut out for (or even wants) an academic education leading to that kind of career plugging through 4 years of school and student debt. But the modern world is all signs point to more success if you go white collar.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Dec 16, 2020
You never hear about parents pushing their kids to be a great contractor or plumber even though some of them can make big money. Every guy I've hired charges like $70/hr for labour. If you're good at it and get gigs, you're pulling in six digits easy. Problem is no matter how successful someone is at this job, no parents who like to brag to their friends wants to say their son is a plumber.
That is so true. It's simple really - everybody needs at some point a plumber / electrician / lockpicker, but nobody wants their kids to be one.

Oct 26, 2018
That is so true. It's simple really - everybody needs at some point a plumber / electrician / lockpicker, but nobody wants their kids to be one.
I dont know about you or other people, but the pecking order game parents all sit in the living room comparing kids is retarded. I used to see it all the time. Not anymore as my sibs and I are all older and my parents are really old, so you dont get these big family and friends dinners anymore. Some of my parents friends are dead too. But maybe about 15 years and before that, all us kids and cousins would be doing our thing and all the parents would be sitting in the living room gabbing about old people topics.

And you could always hear when its time to bring up kids, whomever has kids doing the best is the loudest and has a big smile on his face. and then ones whose kids arent doing anything special dont really have much to say.

And let's face it, it's not comparisons just for information. It's comparisons for bragging rights about whose kids is doing better in life.

Totally retarded, as we don't even compare ourselves to each other like that and were the ones in the actual situation.

Last edited: