• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Borderlands 2 not COD enough, should be priced the same as Nascar Unleashed

kadotsu

Banned
e9ea54e8f8d65f33871efpxkh2.jpg

Can't wait for Borderlands 3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I have no idea if that article is serious at all.

I remember when alot of critics and analysts said Borderlands 1 would be a huge bomb, Pachter saying it was a huge mistake for 2K to publisher, and it wouldn't make back it's money, then it goes on to sell like 5 million copies.

What is it that certain people dislike about Borderlands and want to see it fail?

Well, judging by this article, it's not gritty and serious enough.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Did this person play the game like a single player CoD campaign?

Question: Who goes to the WSJ for gaming news/reviews? Seriously... who?

About the only people who I could imagine would be my grandfather... and he still plays the NES we bought him 20 years ago and that's it <_<

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Why is so much attention/credence being given to a one off review by someone who admittedly doesn't know much about games?

It reminds of me the histrionics that went on around here over Uncharted 3.

Nobody is raging at his opinions, we're marveling at the stupidity of what he decided to write.

lockload

I replied with
I dont want to ask this but, do you know the difference between an action first person shooter and an Role playing game first person shooter?

As for saying it whould be $30 like NASCAR unlimited im sorry but have some respect for the developers and maybe check out reviews from more experienced reviewers of videogames.

I assume you are a new intern that has never played videogames apart from NASCAR?

Opiate

As an abstract article, a discussion about how Call of Duty has reshaped the concept of "value" in AAA games on console could be interesting. One might be able to make a reasonable argument that a single player only game -- even one which is, let's say, 80 hours long -- pales in comparison to the value of a multiplayer game which people play for hundreds of hours, and thus the pricing structure should be adjusted.

That is an interesting discussion. This article does not make this argument and does not really open this discussion in a meaningful, reasonable way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
At that price point, the first-person shooter, published by 2K Games, inevitably invites comparisons with the Halos and Calls of Duty games already out and due to come in the next few weeks and months.
No it really really doesn't.

ismk

Guys, WSJ is a serious newspaper where real journalists work so clearly they know what they are talking about. I hope Gearbox were paying attention to their harsh, but true, criticism.

sleepykyo

Wow . Guess every thing does have to be grim-dark . Oh and it has to have BO2 or H4 production values or it isn't worth 60 .

marrec

Banned
As an abstract article, a discussion about how Call of Duty has reshaped the concept of "value" in AAA games on console could be interesting. One might be able to make a reasonable argument that a single player only game -- even one which is, let's say, 80 hours long -- pales in comparison to the value of a multiplayer game which people play for hundreds of hours, and thus the pricing structure should be adjusted.

That is an interesting discussion. This article does not make this argument and does not really open this discussion in a meaningful, reasonable way.

But that discussion is only interesting from purely a mathematical point of view. If we could build actuarial like tables that would map out the expected amount of time one plays between COD and BL2, I'd imagine that there would be vastly different numbers in the middle, but very similar numbers and the extreme edges.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The game’s opening sequence reminds you that Borderlands’ developers chose to go the animation route, and I don’t like it very much. The game isn’t manga-like enough to be super-hip, so instead, it just feels cartoonish.
Oh brother. This is probably the type of shit that gave Insomniac cold feet with OverStrike.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My reply:

DC said:
This article could not be more insane. I respect opinions, but comparing a game like Borderlands to CoD just because it has guns? Not “Manga-like” enough? It’s a cell shaded open world RPG-Shooter hybrid. It’s not meant to be CoD’s Michael Bay-like dude-bro shooter. It’s meant to be a shooter experience in the RPG/MMO space. One that blends awesome co-op with the vast open world and the joy of getting loot drops and new guns.

I’m not sure what the writer is on about here, but the whole article reads like a trolling attempt at a review from someone who sees the genre lines blurred into “this has gun, must be like CoD” instead of seeing the fact that this is not like CoD is what makes it so enjoyable to a LOT of people. It’s the most pre-ordered game in the company’s history (even more-so that GTA IV), which goes to show some people are looking for more than CoD. Heck, I say buy both. Borderlands is far enough away from CoD that you’ll get a good time out of either.

To the author; stating that this game is not enough like CoD, and stating that it should be a budget title like NASCAR: Unleashed, is a slap in the face to Gearbox, and the gamers who love the series. I would do a bit more thinking on this next time, opinion piece or not.

I'm like 150 comments down though. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Borderlands however is actually built to be replayed repeated in co-op in a Diablo-esque fashion, so it does kind of fall outside of the "absolute end" domain concept.

COD campaign sucks. Borderlands Campaign is awesome. It is that simple. Plus killing monsters and shit is way cooler than killing other humans. This shit is boring.

marrec

Banned
Borderlands however is actually built to be replayed repeated in co-op in a Diablo-esque fashion, so it does kind of fall outside of the "absolute end" domain concept.

Yep, that's my point. If you look at the extreme edges of play-time for both COD and BL2 I bet they're going to match up pretty well.

Twitter does not allow one to mince words.

@notmarrec said:
@adamnajberg That review is possibly the worst review I've ever read for any piece of entertainment ever. You're bad and should feel bad.

I regret nothing.

Teletraan1

Banned
Mr. Najberg, what you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your manga-like rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Opiate

Right, this journalist chose poorly when deciding to breach this topic. I actually own the original borderlands! (I hated it)

But I'm sure a reasonable person could do the analysis necessary to see which games have the longest play time by average customers. If you could establish that the average CoD purchaser plays the game for 30 hours, while the average GTAIV consumer plays the game for 15 hours, you could make a very reasonable argument that games like CoD can and should be priced higher.

As an abstract concept, this idea is not unreasonable. As practically applied here, it is not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, this journalist chose poorly when deciding to breach this topic. I actually own the original borderlands! (I hated it)

But I'm sure a reasonable person could do the analysis necessary to see which games have the longest play time by average customers. If you could establish that the average CoD purchaser plays the game for 30 hours, while the average GTAIV consumer plays the game for 15 hours, you could make a very reasonable argument that games like CoD can and should be priced higher.

As an abstract concept, this idea is not unreasonable. As practically applied here, it is not.

I feel we've actually seen the impact of this via the large scale death of the $60, 6-12 hour singleplayer game.

it's like this person's "opinions" are formulated by a combination of asking a 12 year old what they think and reading about video games on the Internet

Top Bottom