• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Google developing standalone VR headset (no phone or PC required)

Stand alone units are the natural evolution of the platform; the arms race for this tech is moving at warp speed.

That's in theory.

In practical terms, it's going to have most of the components of a high end smartphone and HMD (llike cpu-gpu, memory, battery, wifi, casing, lenses, motion sensors, mic, audio system) so surely it's going to be as expensive as a Samsung Galaxy + Gear VR, except you only are going to be able to use it for VR instead of being acceptable paying $600 for it because it's also a good smartphone.

Lylo

I'm not sure if people are willing to buy stand alone VR sets because you need good specs to backup it up and it's the only purpose it has. I believe Samsung is in a better position here, a lot of people buy their high-end phone every year, it's a natural choice buying a Gear VR for $100. I can speak for myself, i wasn't going to get into VR anytime soon, but i had the right phone, so why not to get a Gear VR? It's so cheap. And i sure the tech will improve in the next versions of Gear VR with more sensors and all that.

vpance

They should make a VR hmd that's powered by your phone but has its own higher quality screen. That's probably the future, when mobile and battery tech gets good enough.

I'm not sure if people are willing to buy stand alone VR sets because you need good specs to backup it up and it's the only purpose it has. .
If they wanted to I'm sure they could make it take a pc feed as an option. There's enough price range in the market for them to undercut at least one of the players while including a mobile apu and battery.

inner-G

Banned
If they wanted to I'm sure they could make it take a pc feed as an option. There's enough price range in the market for them to undercut at least one of the players while including a mobile apu and battery.

Maybe any device could 'cast' VR to it? Phone/Tablet/PC/etc.

megateto

About a month ago, I was selected to beta test google's new education VR Experiance called Google Exhibitions.

I signed on for this, but I'll have to wait until they make it available in certain european countries.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I hope this pans out. The idea of a VR headset this isn't tethered to anything is a lot more exciting than one that has to be physically hooked up to a powerful pc.

Has anyone here tried google cardboard? Thoughts?

It's a fun thing to mess around with for 10 minutes but beyond that the experience isn't great.

DavidDesu

I can see a Gear VR type setup with the screen built in and all the guts needed to render and operate a store front etc. Basically a phone built in minus the stuff only a mobile phone needs like cellular receiver etc. Just the graphics, memory, screen and wifi basically. Could work and be in the $500 bracket, price coming down every year as newer headsets are released and older ones get discounted....

Oh and don't they have a lot of experience with project tango which can look at a room and work out dimensions and basically recreate it in a 3D model? Could be the sort of tech that allows on device positional tracking.

Cartman86

Banned
If I were going to put faith into any company possibly making VR work over a network, it would be Google.

Google can't fix physics.

This will be another Android product that is essentially a phone. Without external censors and really premium hardware however this stuff is the most novelty of novelties. True VR is here to stay and this shit will just make that take longer.

And infinitely vomit inducing due to latency.

the gif that gets lots of mileage:

3QQ6iUP.gif

Harlequin

Unless you are wearing a backpack computer, I not exactly sure you can get enough power in something you have to wear on your head to do VR justice.

If they're using foveated rendering, they might not need as much power to facilitate a good experience. That would also mean that bringing PC games to their device would need a bit of extra work.

Top Bottom