• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Kimishima: NX mobile-interface update "not too late in the course of this year"

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I didn't see a thread about this.

Analysts expect Miitomo, developed in partnership with mobile-game platform operator DeNA Inc., to contribute little to earnings. It will be free to download and built around communications features, meaning users won’t spend a lot for add-on items in a race for high scores.

Analysts have been watching for indications of how Nintendo’s mobile game will interact with a next-generation system that Nintendo has under development, code-named NX.

Mr. Kimishima said Tuesday that the company will provide an update “not too late in the course of this year.”

Analysts expect Nintendo NX to be unveiled in spring, with a possible release in October or November.

“Nintendo’s NX and smartphone games will be a test case for the videogame industry’s trend of trying to merge smart-device games and console-based games,” said Junko Yamamura, an analyst at Nomura Securities.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-profit-slumps-in-3rd-quarter-1454397802

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reading the precedent phrase, I believe he's mostly referring to the interaction between NX and smartphone games, not NX itself.

maxcriden

We will probably get a full reveal at E3 and at best a conceptual reveal before that. I expect to see a handheld and/or console release on Nov. 18 2016.

The main briefing and Q&A are at 8 PM EST tonight (that's tomorrow 10 AM JST) so I maybe we could get another little tidbit or two there. But it will probably be mainly the Nintendo Account and Miitomo focused on.

shingi70

Banned
Hope it's not June, I have other large expenses later this year and would like to make up my mind now if I want it or not to start saving.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Q1 and Q2 are gonna be fucking awful for Nintendo while they wait it out for NX news.

At least they have the mobile stuff coming soon™.

ironcreed

Banned
They should announce it late this month or in March and then do a full on presentation at E3. Let us know what it is first.

BY2K

Membero Americo
God damn it, Nintendo I don't want another 6 months of bullshit rumors and delusional expectations!

Hope it's not June, I have other large expenses later this year and would like to make up my mind now if I want it or not to start saving.

Why not just start saving money now no matter what? If your budget is that tight you really should start building some savings in general.

emb

Ugh, I had some shreds of hope left for a this-year launch, the wording on this kinda flies against that.

Here's hoping that something there is lost in translation.
Reading the precedent phrase, I believe he's mostly referring to the interaction between NX and smartphone games, not NX itself.
Solid point. I took it just as more that the as a transition, in an article that was more focused on mobile and general financials.

Zeeman

Yeah, unless there's more in the article (which I can't access), this seems to only be about mobile-NX interaction.

Brew124

Sounding more and more like an E3 reveal. Just hope they do the reveal then quick release model so it's out before the end of the year.

shingi70

Banned
Why not just start saving money now no matter what? If your budget is that tight you really should start building some savings in general.

I do have some General savings but a Car will wipe most of that out. I did think about that as soon I posted it though. Probably going to start putting NX money aside after this March onslaught in games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I changed the title and added in some of the surrounding text. It does sound like they mean the mobile-interaction with the device.

I'm still expecting them to wait until E3 to unveil the system itself, but I don't think that's what this comment is about.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, unless there's more in the article (which I can't access), this seems to only be about mobile-NX interaction.

Analysts have been watching for indications of how Nintendo’s mobile game will interact with a next-generation system that Nintendo has under development, code-named NX.

Mr. Kimishima said Tuesday that the company will provide an update “not too late in the course of this year.”

Analysts expect Nintendo NX to be unveiled in spring, with a possible release in October or November.

“Nintendo’s NX and smartphone games will be a test case for the videogame industry’s trend of trying to merge smart-device games and console-based games,” said Junko Yamamura, an analyst at Nomura Securities.

This is the part of the article where the tidbit in the OP comes from. It goes like this

> NX - mobile games interaction
> Kimishima: "not too late in the course of this year"
> Analysts expectations for NX unveiling
> Junko Yamamura's opinion

ironcreed

Banned
I changed the title and added in some of the surrounding text. It does sound like they mean the mobile-interaction with the device.

I'm still expecting them to wait until E3 to unveil the system itself, but I don't think that's what this comment is about.

Thank you.

DKHF

As has been stated I think he is talking about an update on how mobile and NX will interact. I think the NX will be revealed before E3, at least the concept. When exactly, it could be anytime in the next months before E3.

Cross posting from the NX-Knowlegde-With-Sources thread:

"Not too late in the course of the year" ... damn, i wish i had been able to be that creative with words and their arrangement back in school. Would've made essays so much easier.

I hope that "Not too late in the course of the year" doesn't translate to E³.

If the system(s) do(es) have one or another concept(s) to shake things up, they should be aware that consumers/gamers need to get a defnitive clarification. They don't want a mess similar to the one with Wii U, again.

E³ event might get to cluttered, if they just dump everything in it ... system basics, all details, games, services, launch details, etc. Chance for misinformation galore.

Also, SQEX was eager to announce a game for the system in 2015, help those poor 3rds and pubs, and give us the systems name. ^^

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

So you say that there is a hope they reveal NX without revealing the interaction between NX and the smartphone games that release before?

Kurt

So NX with mario galaxy 3 & Zelda U full reveal e3 & extra's

Nintendo already wins next E3
:)

Mediking

So NX with mario galaxy 3 & Zelda U full reveal e3 & extra's

Nintendo already wins next E3
:)

??? Why would the handheld NX have Galaxy 3 or Zelda U? Let the console NX have those games. Handheld NX should have Pokemon and Dragon Quest and stuff like that.

??? Why would the handheld NX have Galaxy 3 or Zelda U? Let the console NX have those games. Handheld NX should have Pokemon and Dragon Quest and stuff like that.

Well people are going of the rumored unified platform idea

The NX may see a lot of crossover similar to Vita/PS4 but even more so since NX handheld and console are cobsidered to both be powerful

Take that with loads of salt.

We know nothing

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
It's heavily speculated that the NX Mobile and Console will have a mostly shared library of games.

Rodin

If it really was E3 he would have said... E3?

They'll probably start to talk about it earlier (march? April?) and then show games at E3, like sony and microsoft did.

I mean that's the right thing to do, but then if they think it's 2005 and they have to wait for E3 to show new hardware it's an entirely different thing.

Banned

You're the hero I need. <3

Top Bottom