• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Kimishima: NX mobile-interface update "not too late in the course of this year"

Kouriozan

What's 4 more months of speculations and rumor craziness? :p
I hope Nintendo's mobile games/apps will be available on NX, too.

I'm sorry, am I reading this wrong? To me it sounds like he's saying an update, like a downloadable update, that ties mobile and NX together will come out later this year. I don't think he's saying that an update about NX will come "not too late in the course of this year."

I changed the title and added in some of the surrounding text. It does sound like they mean the mobile-interaction with the device.

I'm still expecting them to wait until E3 to unveil the system itself, but I don't think that's what this comment is about.

reads better

Clov

What's 4 more months of speculations and rumor craziness? :p
I hope Nintendo's mobile games/apps will be available on NX, too.

This would be interesting, though I think I'd probably stick to playing the mobile games on my phone.

Neoxon

??? Why would the handheld NX have Galaxy 3 or Zelda U? Let the console NX have those games. Handheld NX should have Pokemon and Dragon Quest and stuff like that.
Pokémon would still be on the 3DS by the time the NX Platform drops, & we all know how long it would take for Dragon Quest games to get localized. I do think that we'll probably get the NX Handheld first. But if the shared platform thing pans out, what games come out at the launch of which device is irrelevant.

Either way, if Nintendo is really gonna wait until E3, that'd be really cutting it close if one of the NX devices is planned for a Holiday 2016 release.

Pokémon would still be on the 3DS by the time the NX Platform drops, & we all know how long it would take for Dragon Quest games to get localized. I do think that we'll probably get the NX Handheld first. But if the shared platform thing pans out, what games come out at the launch of which device is irrelevant.

Either way, if Nintendo is really gonna wait until E3, that'd be really cutting it close if one of the NX devices is planned for a Holiday 2016 release.

Yeah... Its a really short lead time to release even if they talk about it now

I guess the new trend is to announce and release hardware close together

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Thanks for fixing the OP. I missed the wider context.

Neoxon

"not too late" I hope that means E3, otherwise.....2017 release date eh?
Maybe a 2017 release for the NX Console, but I'm pretty sure that we'll get at least one NX device this year. As stated before, the Wii U has terminal cancer while the 3DS is on its deathbed. Both need successors soon.

Luckydog

I don't understand the large difference between say a March or April reveal vs. E3? Is it the compressed time frame between reveal and launch that has everyone worried?

Maybe a 2017 release for the NX Console, but I'm pretty sure that we'll get at least one NX device this year. As stated before, the Wii U has terminal cancer while the 3DS is on its deathbed. Both need successors soon.

Ill be more than happy to replace my 3DS

Making me eyes hurt outside of certain games

Having an nXL isnt helping lol

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
E3 is in mid June, the very end of Spring and with only 2 weeks left in Q2 as well.

That seems awfully late for an update in Spring. I think we'll know a bit more before E3, it's only natural. Even the DS had some info like the twin screens before its unveiling.

“Nintendo’s NX and smartphone games will be a test case for the videogame industry’s trend of trying to merge smart-device games and console-based games,” said Junko Yamamura, an analyst at Nomura Securities.

I don't really like what this is implying...

Zeeman

I don't really like what this is implying...

It's a bit of an odd quote, if only because plenty of console games have had companion apps or the like. I have no idea if any of them have been successful though (I think Fallout's seemed pretty popular)

Pineapple

Nintendo needs to look to Sony and replicate that marketing approach. Unveil / announce something in the spring (as in, within the next few months), formally unveil the actual system, price, launch date, etc, at E3, while showing off games, and then release it in the fall. There has to be a steady stream of information throughout the course of the year - this allows for the hype to slowly build and for the console to acquire mindshare and recognition. Ideally, they should follow a schedule similar to this -

- Within the next week - announce a "special announcement" for late February / first week of March. Trust me, Nintendo, the internet will do the hyping for you - just make the announcement.

- Late February / first week of March - unveiling of the system. Go over the philosophy behind the development of the system, highlight the main features, and tell us about some launch titles and show us a bit of gameplay.

- Continue releasing little details over the next few months to keep the hype going.

- Huge information release at E3 - specific console specs, price, release date, actual launch lineup, more gameplay footage.

- Release in late October / early November.

Kyzer

Banned
I like how the conclusion people draw from the article that says Nx is expected to be unveiled in spring is that it won't be unveiled until e3

Neoxon

Nintendo needs to look to Sony and replicate that marketing approach. Unveil / announce something in the spring (as in, within the next few months), formally unveil the actual system, price, launch date, etc, at E3, while showing off games, and then release it in the fall. There has to be a steady stream of information throughout the course of the year - this allows for the hype to slowly build and for the console to acquire mindshare and recognition. Ideally, they should follow a schedule similar to this -

- Within the next week - announce a "special announcement" for late February / first week of March. Trust me, Nintendo, the internet will do the hyping for you - just make the announcement.

- Late February / first week of March - unveiling of the system. Go over the philosophy behind the development of the system, highlight the main features, and tell us about some launch titles and show us a bit of gameplay.

- Continue releasing little details over the next few months to keep the hype going.

- Huge information release at E3 - specific console specs, price, release date, actual launch lineup, more gameplay footage.

- Release in later October / early November.
So would they launch the console & handheld together in your opinion or stagger the releases?

Rodin

- Release in late October / early November.
This needs to be in the first post of every NX thread.

I like how the conclusion people draw from the article that says Nx is expected to be unveiled in spring is that it won't be unveiled until e3
Yup

OneUh8

If Nintendo reveals everything at E3, they will steal the show, no questions. It will mostly be all everyone is talking about. A hint should be EA moving their conference ahead of E3. They know...

Jackano

Not too late this year? Ah, mmmmmm.
In Nintendo's mind I imagine "too late in the course of this year" must be on Dec. 15th and after, so, "not too late" can very well be October.

To be serious, I don't expect anything else than the usual PR "we will announce it at E3" in April/May, and actually showing it at E3, or E3 digital event.

Which is a shame, I was hoping they will change their way of doing things, but the shedule looks as late as usual, and the hardware as secret as usual (even more secret than Wii U / 3DS because no Ubi leaks this time).

I dont know ow why im so hungry for Nintendo

Ive been more than happy with Sony and the year ahead

I just have this feeling in my gut that they are going to finally deliver something i want in a few areas

And thats all its going to take. To be fair they have built some positive feeling from me with Mario Maker, Smash, and Monster hunter.

The prospect of them FINALLY putting some better hardware (especially in the portable space) along with a software account ecosystem that makes fucking sense

Its almost too good to be true from the rumors.... I need those DEETS Nintendo!

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I interpret this as we'll find out how NX and mobile interact later on this year, not find out about the NX later this year

AmyS

Remember Sony did not announce PS4 until Feb. 20, 2013 at PlayStation Meeting, and did not actually show the console itself until E3.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why were people expecting a console reveal before E3?

Because you would expect them to follow the best practices for the most recent successful launches?

Because we saw how the hype can be generated and maintained with the climax at E3 with a good PR campaign?

Because it is better to have everybody focusing on your new console rather than fight for attention with others?

If they reveal it until E3 there's no way this thing is coming out in 2016.

If they do intend to launch this year Nintendo needs to start the conversation about the NX right now. Like "this month" now.

shingi70

Banned

If they do intend to launch this year Nintendo needs to start the conversation about the NX right now. Like "this month" now.

The PS4 and Xbox One had launches the same year they were announced.

With Nintendo especially if it's a handheld I could understand why they'd want to start hyping it up now. I'm hoping for a March reveal followed by E3 and then launching holiday 2016.

AmyS

The PS4 and Xbox One had launches the same year they were announced.

With Nintendo especially if it's a handheld I could understand why they'd want to start hyping it up now. I'm hoping for a March reveal followed by E3 and then launching holiday 2016.

Yep, this is the modern way of launching video game systems.

bachikarn

Why does it matter. These systems don't need 2 years of hype. If anything, the Wii U probably should have only been announced in 2012 instead of that confusing 2011 reveal.

bman94

Probably a highly unpopular opinion, but I don't want the NX to release in 2016. Nintendo needs this launch to be successful, and in my opinion they need as much time as possible to make this launch amazing.

Honestly, I think they should wait. I think it would be in Nintendos favor to come back to E3 and reveal NX.

Consoles released in the middle of console generations don't really do to well.

Top Bottom