• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Marvel and Star Wars versions of Disney Infinity are in development

Quentyn

New versions of "Infinity" featuring characters from Disney's Marvel superhero unit and the Star Wars universe it acquired along with Lucasfilm in 2012 are being developed, one of these people said.

In sadder news there will be another round of layoffs at Disney Interactive in the next couple of days :/

Walt Disney Co. DIS +0.11% 's interactive-media unit is preparing to lay off several hundred people despite a strong launch for its videogame "Infinity," according to people close to the company.

The cuts at Disney Interactive, which has undergone multiple rounds of layoffs in recent years as it struggled to reach profitability, are expected to begin after the media giant releases its quarterly financial results Wednesday, these people said.

Disney Interactive has about 3,000 employees.

The planned layoffs follow a recent internal announcement by Disney Interactive President Jimmy Pitaro that he would reorganize the group and shuffle several members of his senior executive team.

Google the title to read the full article.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304851104579361180742804184

fuck.

This might. MIGHT. get me to buy.

I would love to play missions as X-force, the Annihilators or GoTG.

inb4 that ain't for kids thoe!

Fuckton of money for Disney incoming, if true. Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney properties in one game? Holy fuck.

I don't think that's what it means. They'll have separate games. Disney Infinity, Star Wars Infinity, and Marvel Infinity. Maybe some amount of crossover, but I'd imagine they'll mostly be standalone for each separate grouping.

Cardon

I just hope these potential Marvel and Star Wars Infinity games feature more robust gameplay than what was delivered to us last year. I really enjoyed the concept of Infinity, but it felt rather shallow in how it was designed.

Mesoian

I just hope these potential Marvel and Star Wars Infinity games feature more robust gameplay than what was delivered to us last year. I really enjoyed the concept of Infinity, but it felt rather shallow in how it was designed.

They won't be. The toy chest aspect of Infinity is the draw.

It's interesting that they'd rather go this route than look for people who can create interesting properties based on each IP. But I guess Disney is shy on that especially seeing Marvel's video game track record.

Quentyn

Fuckton of money for Disney incoming, if true. Marvel, Star Wars, and Disney properties in one game? Holy fuck.

Considering how overprotective Disney is with their IPs, I am skeptical they will be all in one game. Pretty sure they all be contained to their own separate game.

Ridley327

Considering how overprotective Disney is with their IPs, I am skeptical they will be all in one game. Pretty sure they all be contained to their own separate game.

Yeah, and to be perfectly honest, it would suit Marvel pretty well, seeing as there's so many different layers to it that can justify separate playsets. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they were bold enough to do something like comic book Avengers and MCU Avengers as separate content.

I liked the idea of Disney Infinity, I'll definitely pick those up if they work on the game and make it more robust. Actually playing Disney Infinity was not nearly as fun as collecting,

Looks like Disney and Activision are going to kill off the plastic figurine game market like they did with the plastic guitar game market

kunonabi

They better be. I bought infinity with those expansions in mind. They start separating stuff more than they already are and I'm out.

I don't think that's what it means. They'll have separate games. Disney Infinity, Star Wars Infinity, and Marvel Infinity. Maybe some amount of crossover, but I'd imagine they'll mostly be standalone for each separate grouping.

Yeah upon second reading it does specifically say "versions of Infinity." Would be nuts if they were just add-ons to the existing game, though I suppose being separate could be good for the game design.

They won't be. The toy chest aspect of Infinity is the draw.

It's interesting that they'd rather go this route than look for people who can create interesting properties based on each IP. But I guess Disney is shy on that especially seeing Marvel's video game track record.

They want the Skylanders money, that's all this is and it's all Disney Infinity ever was. They want kids to beg their parents to buy the game and all the "toys" to go with it.

And really it's a different market segment than the standard superhero games. Hopefully they haven't given up on those because of Sega's lousy low-budget offerings and Activision's slightly better Spiderman games. Surely they can't be ignorant of what the Batman Arkham franchise is doing.

Pociask

I understand the sentiment to say Disney is abou to print money, but aren't fan-bases tapped out at some point? If you're a Marvel or Star Wars fans, you've already got movies, comics, toys, Lego toys, Lego video games, etc. etc. Is a Marvel Video Game that requires you buy Marvel Video Game Toys really a license to print money? If they could nail the gampplay, maybe. But cutting all that stuff doesn't look like the move of a studio looking to nail gameplay.

wwm0nkey

If the Marvel version doesn't have MurderWorld I'm going to be pissed. I REALLY want to play in a new MurderWorld already!

thefit

My kid is really into Skylanders atm but completely ignored Disney infinity however he is a big Marvel and SW. Gonna be broke.

Looks like Disney and Activision are going to kill off the plastic figurine game market like they did with the plastic guitar game market

You'd think that but kids still buy toys, they're just capturing that market and merging it with video games. The problem becomes if everything doesn't work with each other. If the marvel and star wars toys work with the infinity pads I don't see this being anything but a big hit for them.

Cartman86

Banned

If by protective" you mean "let's make shit tons of money by selling full priced individual games" then I agree. If you mean they don't want properties merging because of content/tone reasons then I disagree because that's what Disney Infinity already "solved". Jack Sparrow exists with The Incredibles in that game. You can't play as Jack Sparrow in the Car's playset storyline, but you can mix and match whatever you want in the Toybox. That's what they would probably do with Marvel or Star Wars.

bengraven

7400-disney-s-duck-tales-the-quest-for-gold-dos-screenshot-take-a.gif

edit: avatar quote ^^^

They could maybe be in one game, since Disney Infinity already only allows narrative-free crossovers (in the Toy Box mode) between the various Disney IP.

Probably not, though.

emb

Ugh, I just don't feel like there's room for more than one of these kinds of series. Clearly there is, but it's a big turn off for me. I got into Skylanders a little, and enjoy collecting the toys. If those two, plus Infinity (plus possibly whatever NFC thing Nintendo is planning) are all separate games that expect me to buy a bunch of figures? I just dunno if I wanna get myself down that river. (and I mean, I probably won't. No big deal I guess.) At the same time, those are two properties that I'm pretty fond of, so it is kinda tempting.

Xamdou

If they had Marvel and Star Wars characters in Disney Infinity then it would definitely increase my interest in the series.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I want a picture of a living room of some kid with all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero instruments including the keyboard and some mics, and then like a table with Eye of Judgment, and then like a Wii Balance board and a table with a bunch of Skylanders crap and like Disney Infinite stuff all over the wall. Like, the ultimate in plastic garbage kitsch gaming. Even sneak a ROB and some DDR pads and stuff in there and a Tony Hawk skateboard.

Quentyn

If by protective" you mean "let's make shit tons of money by selling full priced individual games" then I agree. If you mean they don't want properties merging because of content/tone reasons then I disagree because that's what Disney Infinity already "solved". Jack Sparrow exists with The Incredibles in that game. You can't play as Jack Sparrow in the Car's playset storyline, but you can mix and match whatever you want in the Toybox. That's what they would probably do with Marvel or Star Wars.

It's a little bit of both. I think to them the Disney, the Marvel and the Star Wars franchise are too far part, farther than the the franchises in the Disney IP, to combine them in one Toy Box.
But there is obviously also way more money to make this way and is this maybe even the primary reason to have everything separate.

I could see them maybe combining the Marvel and the Star Wars franchise in their Toy Boxes and leave the only the core Disney franchises separate.

They had these games planned since day one of this project.

The concept art was made the same time as the mainline Disney ones. It was a big part of the reason the first game was even made. This first one played it safe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Urge to buy rising.. I knew it was inevitable but I want to see how the platform grows and if they'll ever make a digital-only version for a mature(r) audience on PC/Steam.

Seriously I would buy in so hard to a non physical version on Steam.

Son Of D

Has there been any crossovers/cameos between Marvel + Disney since the acquisition? Or Marvel/Star Wars or Disney/Star Wars.

Doubt it, there's a Lightsaber already in the base game.

Disney Infinity is ass, you all should play Skylanders.

Why would I play a game characters that nobody's heard of? (When you're banking on consumers to purchase multiple characters.) Nah, I'm cool with the cheaper game.

Has there been any crossovers/cameos between Marvel + Disney since the acquisition? Or Marvel/Star Wars or Disney/Star Wars.

There was a Prep & Landing comic where the elves deliver to Avengers Mansion (but don't actually meet the Avengers), and last year's Phineas & Ferb: Mission Marvel special.

As for Star Wars, nothing that I know of yet, though there is a Phineas & Ferb special coming up (though this apparently features alternate versions of the P&F cast who live in the Star Wars universe and doesn't involve the "real" P&F characters meeting SW characters).

So, in short, Disney is pretty damn conservative about this sort of thing.

Top Bottom