• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: ''Mojang to be bought by Microsoft'

Thomper

Whoa if true:
Microsoft Near Deal to Buy Minecraft Maker Mojang

Microsoft Corp. is in serious discussions to buy Mojang AB, the Swedish company behind the popular "Minecraft" videogame, according to a person with knowledge of the matter.

The deal would be valued at more than $2 billion and could be signed as early as this week, this person said.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-near-deal-to-buy-minecraft-1410300213

Edited: To add some perspective, consider that they recently announced 54 million copies of Minecraft sold: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mi...es-nears-54-million-copies-sold/1100-6420724/ That makes it one of the most popular games of all time, and that's before releases on the new consoles.

shandy706

I don't believe you.gif

Holy @#$!#%^@^%$^!!$!#!#$!$#@%!%!%#@# if true though.

Edit* Just realized WSJ is Wall Street Journal. Might be a hint of truth....not sure if an agreement would be reached.

popcorn.gif

Gestault

I'm surprised it's taken this long for rumors of a serious buying bid to surface, regardless of who that buyer is.

Ferrio

Banned
Why? What would be the point? What is Mojang pushing out since minecraft that would be worth buying? It was lightning in a bottle.

Nonentity

That's a big deal, I guess... How important is Mojang as a company post-Minecraft, though? It seems like that one product will just go on forever. Is that enough?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
damn. seems like this should have been done a year ago. would have been cheaper and prevented the game from popping up everywhere under the sun.

Mojang have already made their cash cow and published it on a number of platforms, they won't recreate that magic and without being able to push Minecraft everywhere, Mojang aren't worth a great deal. Consider this.

epmode

While Microsoft may love this idea, I'm not seeing how it makes sense for Mojang. They already have more money than god.

edit: Maybe Notch would rather walk away from Minecraft and do something new with a different company?

Talamius

Great for Notch, terrible for Microsoft if true. Why buy the Minecraft IP now? The time to do that would have been a couple years ago.

2 billion.......Minecraft is already on every platform. What other games have they successfully released? Seems like a massive waste of money.

I don't think Notch likes making games or really can given what he has already created. Right now he is fucking around rewriting Doom for kicks. I can see him taking the cash and moving on.

Gestault

Err... What would be the point? Minecraft has already been released on PS4.

Because a high purchase would be immediately valuable to the creators, and the gradual, ongoing profits would benefit the buyer, as well as access to the creative staff who remain with the team. The purchase would also give the Minecraft branding to the buyers, which presumably as one of the best-selling videogames ever, is worth something.

Top Bottom