• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo batteries for Switch supplied by Amperex

Tripon

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/833508073180258304

Seeing picks of this by others, I guess not many people interested in who is supplying batteries to Nintendo Switch?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-unit-to-join-battery-suppliers-for-new-samsung-phone-1487313394
The people said it is unlikely that Samsung would stop buying batteries from Amperex, which is known as ATL, at least for now, because of the supplier’s lead in technology and production capacity.

ATL has close ties with Apple Inc. in battery research and development, people familiar with the matter said. Nintendo Co. will also use ATL batteries for its new hand-held hybrid console Switch, according to people familiar with the matter. Nintendo’s new game console will go on sale in March.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment about battery suppliers. Apple wasn’t immediately available for comment.

ATL/Amperex was the company that provided the replacements of the ill fated batteries that powered the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. But reports blamed the design of the phone itself for overheating and exploding phones instead on the batteries.

https://www.ft.com/content/d7445be2-8f9c-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

93224_o.gif

Magikoopa24

Neo Member
Wasn't the big problem with the exploding phones the fact that phones are thin and don't have good airflow? The Switch is so intricately designed not to get hot that I don't see the same thing happening here.

Samsung themselves said the battery was at fault, I thought.

Edit: The link was above me lol

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/22/14353686/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-reason-report

Yeah, the second batch also had problems.

Why the Note 7 battery went up in flames a second time

Samsung recalled and reissued all Galaxy Note 7 phones in September, thinking that the other half of its phones – the ones with batteries made by affiliate Amperex Technology – were fine.

However, the sudden ramp up in the second batch of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones seems to have caused a number of different manufacturing issues.

At Samsung's press conference, the company said that there could have been a number of failures during this rushed process, with contributing factors including missing insulation tape and sharp edge protrusions.

Quite ironic that some are trying to pin this as reading comprehension.

Dystify

Amperex supplied the replacement battery but according to reports I read they also had faults which ultimately led to the recall of the Note 7.

I can already see articles headlining "Nintendo Switch batteries by same company who made exploding Samsung Note 7 batteries" or something similar.

Edit: I checked again and it wasn't really the Amperex batteries' fault after all, even though that was assumed at first.

NeonBlack

ATL/Amperex was the company that provided the replacements of the ill fated batteries that powered the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. But reports blamed the design of the phone itself for overheating and exploding phones instead on the batteries.

So they made the replacement battries? why is this a thread then?

Vena

Amperex supplied the replacement battery but according to reports I read they also had faults which ultimately led to the recall of the Note 7.

I can already see articles headlining "Nintendo Switch batteries by same company who made exploding Samsung Note 7 batteries" or something similar.

The second wave of issues was more down to the Note 7 being very poorly designed and leading to unanticipated overheating (as such even *good* replacement batteries would and could be compromised). The exploding batteries were SDI produced and Samsung's own.

DrProfBitseys

Neo Member
I don't think Nintendo is pushing the Switch to the absolute minimum thickness. The manufacturing defects Samsung noted were due pushing the limits of various fabrication processes, resulting in abnormally high defect rates.

Dystify

The second wave of issues was more down to the Note 7 being very poorly designed and leading to unanticipated overheating (as such even *good* replacement batteries would and could be compromised). The exploding batteries were SDI produced and Samsung's own.

That seems to be right I guess. Here's a good article summarizing the events around Samsung Note 7: https://www.ft.com/content/d7445be2-8f9c-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

The remark I made about sites using that as headline was more of a joke saying they may use it as clickbait title even though it's actually factually wrong.

massoluk

Banned
What am I missing here,I thought the second batch of battery were rushed as well and caused the explosion from whatever sources I read.

Memory

Nintendo make toys for kids, I'm sure they have run the Switch though QA a million times.

This is the company that got blamed for blinding kids with the 3DS which caused a shit storm and even to this day some people believe it, you think they are going to risk actually blowing them up?

Nintendo make toys for kids, I'm sure they have run the Switch though QA a million times.

This is the company that got blamed for blinding kids with the 3DS which caused a shit storm and even to this day some people believe it, you think they are going to risk actually blowing them?
Some people just won't open their eyes.

Because they used the 3DS under the age of 6

Top Bottom