• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo batteries for Switch supplied by Amperex

Time to make battery jokes (which don't really apply to the switch because the design of the battery is not adherent to the note 7's design this time around).

I can't they're all done.

Nintendo make toys for kids, I'm sure they have run the Switch though QA a million times.

This is the company that got blamed for blinding kids with the 3DS which caused a shit storm and even to this day some people believe it, you think they are going to risk actually blowing them?
30sy9hv.gif

Nintenboomed

What a useless correlation. There were a number of circumstances in both manufacturing and design that lead to the Note 7's bullshit. Apple, for one, is doing fine with them.

Neoxon

Oh the Killer Queen jokes I could have made if they made the OG Note 7 battery rather than the replacement one.

Skux

Honestly a lithium ion battery is a lithium ion battery. What's more important is the software optimisation. This is how iPhones can lag the day on tiny batteries compares to Android flagships.

tenchir

These guys are actually the premier leader in the field of battery producer. The Note7 incident is a black mark on them, but it doesn't detract from the overall qualities of the batteries they produce since Apple goes to them for their battery.

If you think about it, the Note7 problem will likely increases the QA that goes into these batteries because of the amount of money Samsung lost. I wouldn't worry at all.

SpecX

Probably got a great deal from the supplier. As big of an issue as the Note 7 was, Nintendo probably used it to their advantage to get a lower price in the batteries.

KingBroly

Banned
Probably got a great deal from the supplier. As big of an issue as the Note 7 was, Nintendo probably used it to their advantage to get a lower price in the batteries.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

If they aren't reliable though......

Tripon

Maybe, but it could be that they're the most well known entity within the battery business.

why are people saying it was the design of the phone that was the cause when the report showed that when they increased production to meet the increased demand for replacement units their manufacturing process got sloppy and they started making mistakes including missing insulation tape on some units in the ramped up production run?

Futureman

How many Note 7s actually caught fire?

and how many different phones/devices does Amperex provide batteries for that have had no issue?

seems silly to be worried about this. Samsung has sold what? Hundreds of millions of smartphones going back to the first Galaxy.

SpecX

why are people saying it was the design of the phone that was the cause when the report showed that when they increased production to meet the increased demand for replacement units their manufacturing process got sloppy and they started making mistakes including missing insulation tape on some units in the ramped up production run?
Lack of reading I guess? MDave even put up images of the battery flaws which lead to the explosions and still the majority assume it's the phone design.

Let's hope other news outlets do not try to make click baity articles hinting at the possibility that the Nintendo Switch might also start exploding like the Note 7...

Who am I kidding...

How many Note 7s actually caught fire?

I've found reports of 35 worldwide which was significant enough for Samsung to trigger the recall. Then that number jumped to 112 during the recall.

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-is-samsung-galaxy-note-7-exploding-overheating/

According to an unnamed Samsung official who spoke to Yonhap News, the Note 7's manufacturing defect affects less than 0.01 percent of all Note 7 handsets sold. Some quick back-of-the-envelope math, and you're potentially looking at fewer than 1,000 defective phones. "It is a very rare manufacturing process error," a Samsung rep told CNET.

But this likely wouldn't have any effect on the batteries of the Switch because you're comparing apples and oranges of battery specifications.

Probably because outlets initially reported that Samsung tried to squeeze too much battery to the design of the phone. From the same article:

According to a unpublished preliminary report sent to Korea's Agency for Technology and Standards (obtained by Bloomberg), Samsung had a manufacturing error that "placed pressure on plates contained within battery cells," which "brought negative and positive poles into contact."

Clefargle

Wait I thought it said that this company supplied the replacement batteries after the Samsung fiasco.
Am I missing something?

I've found reports of 35 worldwide which was significant enough for Samsung to trigger the recall. Then that number jumped to 112 during the recall.
and 26 of the ~90 (dunno where you saw 112) were found to be false reports.

But this likely wouldn't have any effect on the batteries of the Switch because you're comparing apples and oranges of battery specifications.

Probably because outlets initially reported that Samsung tried to squeeze too much battery to the design of the phone. From the same article:
fake news

If they make the batteries for Apple then I would be less concerned about them exploding and more concerned that after about a year the Switch will start turning off when it supposedly had 40% battery life left.

In the rush to make a "witty" comment, a bunch of posters make dumb comments.

I get that. Common occurrence.

But what's the WSJ's angle on this? The phone's design was the reason batteries were exploding. Doesn't matter where the batteries were coming from. Do they typically do articles on where component parts in devices come from?

Tripon

In the rush to make a "witty" comment, a bunch of posters make dumb comments.

I get that. Common occurrence.

But what's the WSJ's angle on this? The phone's design was the reason batteries were exploding. Doesn't matter where the batteries were coming from. Do they typically do articles on where component parts in devices come from?

The main part of the article is that Samsung is adding Sony batteries for the Samsung Galaxy 8, with ATL also producing batteries.

The Nintendo and Apple part is just short blurbs. But I was more interested in that.

CazTGG

Does this company sell a battery that's compatible with the Switch and will last longer than the one that comes with the system? I know the Wii U's could be upgraded, albeit with the product being incredibly limited in terms of availability.

What's the deal with those modern batteries

Jerry-Seinfeld.jpg

If you use your Switch on the toilet, your diarrhea won't be the only thing that's explosive

I knew that. I'm saying that people were suggesting that the replacements were flawed too.

Because the batteries were not the problem...if you have a flawed phone design/manufacturing, no matter how many times you replace the battery, the phone is still flawed and will still have the same issues

Clefargle

Because the batteries were not the problem...if you have a flawed phone design/manufacturing, no matter how many times you replace the battery, the phone is still flawed and will still have the same issues

Right. That's why I was so confused with so many replies on the front page suggesting that this was a problem for Nintendo.

Top Bottom