• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Begins Distributing Software Kit for NX (Console + Handheld units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosur

ItsHappening.gif

Also I could see the console getting announced sooner than E3 if this is the case for launch next year (give devs time to create something for the NX) or they try something simillar to MS/ Sony announce in Feb/ March and Launch in the fall.

maxcriden

utz_utz_utz_utz_utz__medium.png

I knew the Zip-Lash product placement wasn't just a coincidence!

Banned
The important part here people should be focusing on his how many transistors are in the home console?

Kudo

Please be region free and backwards compatible..
Looking forward to the reveal next year, we'll see if they can create another wave like Wii with NX.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Or, as has been said and clarified time and time again, more than one device, but a shared software platform similar to how iOS is shared across several devices.

Am I right to say that most games will be "You only pay once" , and that only a small portion of the games will be exclusive to either the NX handheld / NX home console?

JoeM86

Am I right to say that most games will be "You only pay once" , and that only a small portion of the games will be exclusive to either the NX handheld / NX home console?

That's the intent, yeah. There will still be exclusives, and games don't have to be on both.

suaveric

I'm smiling and crying right now. Please be true.

Eh, the early rumours for Nintendo's next system always start out saying it's going to be so much more powerful and then we get the actual thing and it's not. I'm not getting my hopes up.

jobrro

"At least one mobile unit" sound interesting. Always figured it'd be a console and a handheld, but a two handheld platform approach could make sense. A cheaper 2DS style system as well as a deluxe model with more power/resolution/features both capable of playing the same games at varying quality settings would be cool if it meant they could have a good install base while having an option for a higher spec system that enthusiasts could buy.

In my mind it would kinda be like the 3DS and Vita in terms of power difference, but both could play the same games.

KNT-Zero

They also said Nintendo would aim to put industry-leading chips in the NX devices, after criticism that the Wii U’s capabilities didn’t match those of competitors.

They do this to appeal to the critics who keep stressing that game consoles only compete in terms of graphics, when Nintendo's posture has always been far from that. Ok then....

KidB

Supposedly this was a Miyamoto initiative since so many people didn't bother with the 3D. I'm happy with it. Maybe testing the technological waters for better 3D on the NX handheld? I hope.

I highly doubt that the NX handheld will even feature 3D. I don't think most people appreciated it much with the 3DS, and it will just add to the production costs, which will also increase its price in the market.

Or, as has been said and clarified time and time again, more than one device, but a shared software platform similar to how iOS is shared across several devices.

Seems more like Apple TV + iPad/iPhone. You can use it to interface with the Apple TV, or take it on the go and use it like normal.

Should lead to more leaks and details on specs. I expect either the handheld version and/or the console version to release next year. Can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us.

KingBroly

Banned

I think the latter depends on how they feel about certain IP's and their selling power one way or another. But it could still lead to bad decisions about what will sell where, why and potential.

Z3M0G

Two form factors most likely, with different specs but same OS and architecture..

This is in line with what Iwata has said in the past.

Oh my... I was not aware of this. I didn't follow the NX thread...

But I was always on TeamHybrid... which this isn't, but it is almost same ballpark...

So NX is a platform from which they will launch TWO devices? So all games will be completely cross-buy-play-etc between the two? Yet they will have different power (specs)? So every game will be scale-able between the two platforms?

This is crazy... it's like if Sony were to launch the PS4 and Vita at the same time and promise cross-platform-support for all games.

I only assume it would be 100% cross-platform-support for all games, otherwise what would be the point of the unified platform?

Or do people expect that it will be cross-buy of two different versions of the same game?

So many questions... are there answers?

I thought the WiiU got a heavy downgrade during development, no?

Well my memory is a little hazy but I read rumours that it was going to be pretty powerful and a big step up from 360/PS3. I got excited and so did many others, then we ended up with is the Wii U.

I hope they get some more expertise in the online network area too

DrZeus

I'm dying to know where they are going from a controller standpoint. Wii motes are finally dead. Tablet controller had a lot of unfulfilled promise. Standard pad now?

Marvel

could never
I want to like Nintendo hardware, so I want this to surprise me and actually deliver. Day one if it does.

JoeM86

Seems more like Apple TV + iPad/iPhone. You can use it to interface with the Apple TV, or take it on the go and use it like normal.

No. I believe Iwata specifically compared how it works to how iPad and iPhones were. Same OS, similar architecture, different specs.

Correct me if im wrong but i remember hearing the same shit for wii u,.

I imagine the Wii U was satisfactory when compared to the 360 while in development. Especially with a superior RAM solution. Now in comparison to the PS4 if we can get something remotely close it'd be amazing for a Nintendo platform

KORNdoggy

if it's just a nintendo only playing device that all their previous consoles end up being. then no amount of power will change things. this thing needs a metric shit ton of third party support with zero gimmicks.

JoeM86

Oh my... I was not aware of this. I didn't follow the NX thread...

But I was always on TeamHybrid... which this isn't, but it is almost same ballpark...

So NX is a platform from which they will launch TWO devices? So all games will be completely cross-buy-play-etc between the two? Yet they will have different power (specs)? So every game will be scale-able between the two platforms?

This is crazy... it's like if Sony were to launch the PS4 and Vita at the same time and promise cross-platform-support for all games.

I only assume it would be 100% cross-platform-support for all games, otherwise what would be the point of the unified platform?

Or do people expect that it will be cross-buy of two different versions of the same game?

So many questions... are there answers?

Not quite. 100% cross platform support for all games is not likely. Likely up to the developer.

Now, an article from WSJ with some more solid rumors about NX, and even about the targeted power for the system(s), is one heck of a treat for the weekend!

Nice substitude for that Direct missing-in-action.

Plus possibly the new Star Wars trailer ... yeah, entertaining day for sure!

Alphahawk

The NX is going to really have its work cut out for it, if it's trying to compete technology wise with Microsoft and Sony.. These systems have been out for three years and they'res no sign of this ending in anytime soon. This means that when the next Microsoft and Sony systems launch in 2020 or so that they will most likely outperform the NX by a large margin.

Ever since the Wii faded out in the middle of '11, Nintendo has been operating on a different time table and this hurt the WiiU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom