• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: No announcements planned for game titles or specs for Nintendo Switch in 2016

Cubas

I can't fucking believe they won't show more Shift games before the end of the year.

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

Vinc

In terms of reveal, this is barely any better than the Wii U. Better name, better reveal to release timeline, that's it.

ffdgh

Saw this coming. Oh well atleast we got something.
KuGsj.gif

Isnt this thing coming out in March and your not gonna have any games or specs announced 3 months out. Sounds like a bad idea. Ita Nintendo so im not suprised.

I believe Emily and others said we were supposed to hear something next week. I wonder if that's still on. I guess it would make sense not to have anything till like december with all the titles taking the spotlight, but a 3 month wait after 3 minutes seems like a poor idea

javadoze

This sucks, but kind of expected seeing as we're approaching the holiday season. They probably want to start fresh in January 2017 with Switch details.

I was wondering if they were going to gradually let out information from this point on or wait until after the holidays for a full on blowout in January.

In terms of reveal, this is barely any better than the Wii U. Better name, better reveal to release timeline, that's it.

Those were two major problems with the Wii U.....so I'd say that's a start.

I'm fine waiting until January for game announcements. It's going to be an amazing Nintendo Direct, that's for sure.

Boke1879

THey would have been best revealing that video in January and then doing something a bit more formal a couple of weeks later.

DMONKUMA

Ok I'm not excited anymore.

Unless third-parties announce some games....which they should since the system has been revealed already.

Seems kind of dumb. Part of me wants to say why even bother teasing it at all right now, if they're not really going to talk more about it? Is it just to make sure parents don't get super pissy if they buy a Wii U for the holidays?

That's a weird strategy, they should try to keep it in peoples mind and not pop in and then vanish for at least 2 months.

I hope that they allow developers to mention that their games are coming to the Switch, if not that would be straight up dumb.

jmizzal

That sucks :(
Jan Direct it is full marketing a go to start 2017

It kinda makes sense tho, they dont want those game to over shadow the games coming this holiday for 3DS and lol WiiU

But I hope 3rd parties can announce stuff tho

Sorcerer

I can't fucking believe they won't show more Shift games before the end of the year.

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

I guess we have to realize they still have the Wii-U and 3DS to sell this holiday. They can not kill it too hard.

I guess we will get a flood of info starting in January. Then the console is out 2 months after that. Not long.

This announcement was simply to put those considering a PS4 or Xbox one who do not have one on the fence. (Also make investors happy of course).

Like now we literally know what the NX is and the next investor's briefing is still going to be Kimishima going "we're not talking about the NX today" for the 180000000th time. Insane.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
That sucks :(
Jan Direct it is

It kinda makes sense tho, they dont want those game to over shadow the games coming this holiday for 3DS and lol WiiU

But I hope 3rd parties can announce stuff tho

"Games?"

What are these "games" that you speak of?

Neiteio

Perhaps they want to let the holiday come and go, first, maximizing Sun and Moon sales, etc. Then, once everything has settled down, they'll switch gears (pun intended) to Nintendo Switch. It's not like the general public is ever really aware of new system launches until like a month before anyways.

Hold a Nintendo Direct and media summit in February, run ads during the Super Bowl, launch in mid-March. BAM.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, that's interesting because Laura Kate Dale, who has been pretty solid on rumors, said differently.

Expect price, date, specs and specific games expanded on by the end of the month investor call.

[source]

At least this disagreement will resolve within the next couple of weeks.

I was expecting the next blowout in December or January. If I combine the two tweets, I think we'll get a little new info next week and then a huge blowout in January. It seems like Nintendo is telling companies not to talk about Switch games and guiding them on it (see the similarities between what Bethesda and 2K said about being in the video), so it'll be a shame if they have to stay quiet for 2.5 months.

udivision

You know... couldn't you have shown more than one game that was "WOW, NEW!"

And not.. "hey is that a Wii U port or... well an enhanced port... maybe a sequel? err.. no probably a port with all the dlc... er..."

I am intrigued by Mario... but.. hm...

January reveal time?

Better than reading all those NX speculation threads on GAF.

I am so glad that I have a huge backlog on Wii U and 3DS. I can make through these two months easily.

There have a new Pokémon game coming out the holiday right after Pokémon Go.

They don't want people waiting for the more powerful handheld coming in only 5 months but after the holidays.

Davey Cakes

This sucks, but kind of expected seeing as we're approaching the holiday season. They probably want to start fresh in January 2017 with Switch details.
It's sensible in that way, sure. They've given us a taste. Now they can focus on the holidays. Other than this short reveal video, 2017 is the year of Switch.

jmizzal

I believe Emily and others said we were supposed to hear something next week. I wonder if that's still on. I guess it would make sense not to have anything till like december with all the titles taking the spotlight, but a 3 month wait after 3 minutes seems like a poor idea

I'm pretty sure they were talking about the investors meeting, which we will get some new info there

Hydrus

Such idiots. Why do they always fail to capitalize when they have all the attention on them? E3? lol nope. Pokemon Go phenom this summer? NOPE! The Switch reveal? HAHAHA HELL NO! "Lets wait until after the holidays and less then 3 months from when its supposed to launch to convince people to buy it. "

Just when I thought they learned something...

I was waiting for them to find some way to disappoint. The trailer and announcement was too good, there had to be a Nintendo-style negative to go along with it.

Top Bottom