• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX will be "compatible with" Nintendo's Mobile games, is handheld/console hybrid

maxcriden

The Wall Street Journal is getting in on the Nintendo NX rumors now. Yesterday we had a rather large rumored info dump on the NX and its form factor as well as power. Today the WSJ says that the platform is also going to be able to play Nintendo's mobile titles. This rumor seems pretty plausible and makes a lot of sense for Nintendo. Might as well give fans as many ways as possible to play their mobile games!

http://gonintendo.com/

Full article behind Paywall:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-swings-to-loss-1469604309

WSJ said:
Nintendo’s outlook also depends on the reception of its new console, code-named NX, which is expected to hit the market by the end of the current fiscal year that ends in March 2017.

A person familiar with the matter said NX would be a handheld-console hybrid that would be compatible with its own smartphone games.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment on the details of NX.

giphy.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Welp

And that's why Nintendo is so OK with moving into cell phone game development: It's essentially development for their next hardware platform, too.

Oregano

NX is Mobile, Handheld and Home Console then...

Nintendo are absolutely mad, this could really go either way.

This is something ive always believed and think it would be very benificial. What you do at home or on the go on the tablet can effect what goes on in your phone app. And vice versa.

Giving as much connectivity and control through your phone is a big thing and will help continued intrest and will gain word of mouth.

FelipeMGM

Catch Pokémon on Pkmn GO and then use them in a classic style Pokémon RPG would be cool I guess.

And yes, I know GO isnt really a Nintendo game but you get the point

udivision

It makes sense that all Nintendo Mobile games will be free to play.

It also makes sense not to expect any of the mobile games to be fleshed out the way you want them to be.

Animal Crossing Mobile probably isn't going to be much an Animal Crossing game.

As more of this stuff comes out or gets reported on, it continues to seem like a bad idea to have not announced it at e3, or at least some point already.

You can't get this close to release without officially revealing a single thing about it, without stuff leaking, or reports causing misinformation or w/e. You'd think they would want to unveil this sort of information themselves

gwiz210

I've had a hunch that Miitomo is going to be NX's equivalent to the "Mii Channel" or whatever. I believe it'll be adapted and potentially clothing won/purchased in Miitomo can be used across other software like Xbox Avatars.

Nanashrew

Banned
I've never owned a smartphone or tablet so I guess this is how I'll be experiencing their mobile titles. Makes me curious if we might see other mobile developers show up on Nintendo's platform too.

As I said in the other thread: "Compatible with" is vague wording. It could just mean My Nintendo integration, say, between AC Mobile and AC NX.

That said, I'm not ruling ports out, as there's obviously no reason why the NX hybrid couldn't run the mobile games themselves (not counting Pokemon Go, which would be unplayable without 4G/LTE Internet), but the idea seems weird and pointless given that those games are designed first and foremost for platforms much friendlier to pick-up-and-play gameplay.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the chances of this only being NX handheld form factor? Not that I dislike the hybrid.

There's no real indication of an additional device existing.

Maybe they'd tear out the screen and release a cheaper Vita TV-esque box in the future, but I get the sense they're sticking to one SKU for launch.

Can't take credit for this, my skeptical buddy Geo pointed it out..

The WSJ article says "compatible with" as opposed to "plays," so I'm not sure if that's significant or not. Can't think of what else that would mean, other than maybe connecting to a smart phone app to track something like friends performance or leaderboards?

All intents and purposes, it sounds like a huge step for Nintendo in allowing mobile games/apps to be played on NX (if true)!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Considering how much people use their smartphones for data instead of phone calls, I'm wondering if Nintendo's "out of left field" play is to deploy a device that has cellular data service but isn't a phone.

I was just going to ask about Pokemon Go in the pricing thread.

Seems like an obvious way to boost the launch lineup. Oh hey, remember that F2P phone game you love? Here it is with more features and optional analog controls.

Shin-chan

I hope it receives a healthy supply of traditional/handheld titles. I have absolutely no interest in playing mobile phone games in whatever this device is and I would hope Nintendo doesn't slowly transition their core teams in this direction.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
As I said in the other thread: "Compatible with" is vague wording. It could just mean My Nintendo integration, say, between AC Mobile and AC NX.

That said, I'm not ruling ports out, as there's obviously no reason why the NX hybrid couldn't run the mobile games themselves (not counting Pokemon Go, which would be unplayable without 4G/LTE Internet), but the idea seems weird and pointless given that those games are designed first and foremost for platforms much friendlier to pick-up-and-play gameplay.

This is my feeling. Compatible in my mind means complimentary.

Imagine if its a cell phone, would you replace your iPhone/Android with it?

Assume the main component is the same size as say, an iPhone 6+.

NX runs mobile apps

Fire emblem and AC apps coming

I highly believe those apps will be compatible with games

No retro compatibility

New FE and AC games sorta confirmed

don't kill me, i'm just assuming

Top Bottom