• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX will be "compatible with" Nintendo's Mobile games, is handheld/console hybrid

Why wouldn't it be if it runs on tegra...? Pretty easy transition. Thought this was automatically assumed. In fact I think it will go even further and they'll open it up to all developers of android/ios to release their games on it.

DSix

Banned
So let's see: the NX is an ARM machine with a detachable controller that is very likely to have mobile internet (as freenium mobile games require).

Guys, it's a phone.

lol

I'm a couple days away from going ahead and buying an iphone se and now these rumors are making me want to hold off until I know what this thing is. I don't need two expensive gadgets serving my needs (apps and calls).

If NX can't do calls, but apps, like say Anki, work on it, then I'd rather buy a cheap phone than drop a ton on an iOS phone.

Welp, time to change plans. Back to waiting.

kinn

You guys reckon that they could use a heavily modified forked version of android to make the mobile games compatible? I think there were rumors going round before about how they were going to be using android.

Kind of doubt it thinking about it. They might consider the OS isnt secure enough.

Darryl

Banned
no shock at all. I mean Pokemon go is on Unity. it would be surprising if they didn't bring it over, alongside their other mobile games

Nessus

Pretty sure this doesn't mean that it'll run smartphone apps in general, just that they'll be super easy to port over.

I think it makes sense. The entire point of a hybrid console and the recent restructuring at Nintendo was to consolidate their software development. It wouldn't make sense to do all that work and then go ahead create another separate line of software (smartphones). This is a device where you'll be able to play every game Nintendo makes, period.

watershed

Banned
What is the WSJ is wrong on compatible meaning can play Nintendo mobile games and instead compatible means will have software that works in conjunction with Nintendo mobile games like Nintendo themselves have already discussed?

forrest

formerly nacire
If Animal Crossing is announced as a launch title then my wife will be asking me to buy an NX on day one instead of the other way around.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It would be really cool if you could sideload APK files somehow lol. If it's using an android derivative, that is.

At this point I really wouldn't be surprised if the NX also doubled as a cell phone with LTE support. Subsidizing the cost of the device with carriers would go a long way into getting it in the hands of people for much cheaper than the full retail price.

This could either work really well or tank really hard.

At this point I really wouldn't be surprised if the NX also doubled as a cell phone with LTE support. Subsidizing the cost of the device with carriers would go a long night way into getting it in the hands of people for much cheaper than the full retail price.

This could either work really well or tank really hard.

A Nintendo phone would tank hard.

Which is why they're not making a cell-phone

Neoxon

no shock at all. I mean Pokemon go is on Unity. it would be surprising if they didn't bring it over, alongside their other mobile games
I wouldn't be too sure, especially since Pokémon GO requires a constant internet connection & a GPS. Plus Pokémon GO likely won't be anywhere near as popular as it is right now by the time the NX comes out.

ekurisona

Care to link?

07882fab4d8b6807294a4e7aa17543d5.jpg

Oh so you've done market research? Care to link?

It's an opinion. Based on the fact that there is no way in hell Nintendo can meaningfully enter a saturated market that they have no experience in. Most everyone already owns a phone, making it a completely redundant device.

So yeah, that's not happening.

Oh so you've done market research? Care to link?

Does this really need to be explained? Apple and Samsung have dominated the smart phone market for years, a market Nintendo has no experience in. Nintendo have already said that they don't want to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the traditional home console space, so why would they instead try to compete in a new, even more competitive and inhospitable market?

AmyS

This is seriously awesome, the historic scans and pictures you post are always so interesting. Wow, to think they were revealing it in '88 while over in the U.S. we had no idea and thought the NES was it.

Yeah, Nintendo revealed the Super Famicom to the press in Japan on November 21, 1988. Exactly two years before its Japanese release, and what, 33 months before the SNES hit American stores (August 1991).

More from November 1988.

rUVhiSs.jpg
vW7QGaj.jpg

LhszePE.jpg
syB5em9.jpg

vyFY8Bu.jpg
Rqq4NjF.jpg

HXbHxh2.jpg
IEq1Kus.jpg

SNK9WrR.jpg
b0mOxVq.jpg

The more info I read the more simultaneously intrigued but also skeptical about Nintendo's chances. It sounds promising obviously to dedicated portable owners but chasing the mobile crowd just seems dangerous and almost pointless.

Yeah, Nintendo revealed the Super Famicom to the press in Japan on November 21, 1988. Exactly two years before its Japanese release, and what, 33 months before the SNES hit American stores (August 1991).

More from November 1988.

rUVhiSs.jpg
vW7QGaj.jpg

LhszePE.jpg
syB5em9.jpg

vyFY8Bu.jpg
Rqq4NjF.jpg

HXbHxh2.jpg
IEq1Kus.jpg

SNK9WrR.jpg
b0mOxVq.jpg

Was it originally going to have BC or is that other build to the left with the SMB 3 cart an early version of the top loader Famicom?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I am glad someone in Nintendo's hardware team monitors neogaf.

Why couldn't it have GPS? Why couldn't Nintendo partner with say Verizon and ATT and have an LTE module for data down the line? They could have a model with LTE for say $80 more a few months post release. GPS is fairly cheap now days.

Because they want to keep costs down and there's no good reason to do it when everyone has a smart phone anyway. You also have to keep in mind that the US isn't the only country in the world. They'd have to make dozens or even hundreds of deals. It also kinda completely failed for Vita.

aBarreras

Because they want to keep costs down and there's no good reason to do it when everyone has a smart phone anyway. You also have to keep in mind that the US isn't the only country in the world. They'd have to make dozens or even hundreds of deals. It also kinda completely failed for Vita.

part of the reason nintendo tvii never took off, people dont really account for al the troubles that would be make a nintendo phone that only works on US.

they sell hardware all over the world, they need ot keep it simple

Neoxon

Put pokemon go (with new features) in and we have the killer app.
As stated earlier, that would require both a GPS & a constant 4G connection. And while the former could very well happen, the latter would both make the NX a bit on the expensive side & force players to pay a monthly fee to use said 4G (& we all know how that worked out with Sony concerning the Vita). On top of that, the Pokémon GO userbase may very well be a fraction of what it is right now by the time the NX comes out, so there may not really be a point in bothering with a port of the game.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It is a hybrid in that it is meant to replace their handheld and console lines.

That it doesn't replace the console line to your satisfaction doesn't invalidate what it is.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with this. It's a handheld. It's designed as a handheld to work within its limitations. 100% handheld. Note however that I also don't consider any Surface device other than the Surface Book to be a true hybrid.

trugs26

As stated earlier, that would require both a GPS & a constant 4G connection. And while the former could very well happen, the latter would both make the NX a bit on the expensive side & force players to pay a monthly fee to use said 4G (& we all know how that worked out with Sony concerning the Vita). On top of that, the Pokémon GO userbase may very well be a fraction of what it is right now by the time the NX comes out, so there may not really be a point in bothering with a port of the game.

Make it compatible with the Pokmon Go Plus peripheral.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm sure this has probably been said but I don't understand the point if people already have smartphones (they do!).

Makes more sense to have games that plug in to the apps. Pokemon Go-enabled functionality in a Pokemon NX game.

Neoxon

Yeah I just realised that after typing. Was going to delete the comment, but too late. Oh well.
Eh, don't sweat it. It happens to the best of us.

That said, if the Pokémon GO userbase levels out at a respectable number, maybe it'll be worthwhile for Nintendo to port the game. But we have no idea how low the userbase is gonna go right now.

aBarreras

I'm sure this has probably been said but I don't understand the point if people already have smartphones (they do!).

Makes more sense to have games that plug in to the apps. Pokemon Go-enabled functionality in a Pokemon NX game.

well you see, i rather deplete my nx battery than my phone's, maybe it;s not much, but it is a little neat perk to nx owners

Kimawolf

They could add a LTE antennae though, work out deals with carriers. After all everyone has a cellphone, if you could add it to your plan for cheap why not? Im sure parents would do it for their kids. hell i'd do it.

And if Nintendo really does want to do a seachange and all this mobile gaming, they will HAVE to have the constant communication of a LTE antenna. I believe it'll have one. or maybe even a 3G antenna.

trugs26

Eh, don't sweat it. It happens to the best of us.

That said, if the Pokémon GO userbase levels out at a respectable number, maybe it'll be worthwhile for Nintendo to port the game. But we have no idea how low the userbase is gonna go right now.

It would be pretty neat to be able to do something extra with the Pokemon you catch in PoGo. Even if it's like managing a Pokemon farm.

Kimawolf

Does this really need to be explained? Apple and Samsung have dominated the smart phone market for years, a market Nintendo has no experience in. Nintendo have already said that they don't want to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the traditional home console space, so why would they instead try to compete in a new, even more competitive and inhospitable market?

unless is Samsung or Google making the phone. no way they'd do it themselves.

Zedark

That means only one thing:
FIRE EMBLEM ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!

NX looking like a better and better purchase.

AmyS

The more info I read the more simultaneously intrigued but also skeptical about Nintendo's chances. It sounds promising obviously to dedicated portable owners but chasing the mobile crowd just seems dangerous and almost pointless.

Was it originally going to have BC or is that other build to the left with the SMB 3 cart an early version of the top loader Famicom?

The early Super Famicom itself wasn't going to have BC but that other build was a redesigned Famicom, named the Famicom Adaptor (strangely enough) for the 8-bit games.

Now here is Electronic Gaming Monthly's report on the Super Famicom from July 1989 (EGM #2).
And sure, they show that redesigned 8-bit Famicom saying it was the original Famicom, even though it's obviously not the actual original design from 1983.
Plus, they get the year it was released wrong, saying 1985 (NES came to America in '85). Otherwise, it was a pretty fascinating article for the time.

(Actual 1983 8-bit Famicom)

5waBGp0.png

Electronic Gaming Monthly's next major update on the Super Famicom, July 1990 (EGM #12).
Another good article, however they're saying SFC was revealed to the Japanese press in summer of 1989. No, that happened Nov. '88. Their own coverage began in summer 1989.

October 1990 (EGM #15) SFC Japan pre-launch.

Amy, really enjoy & appreciate your contributions here - do you have a twitter feed?

Thanks, I appreciate that :) but I don't use twitter, facebook or social media in general.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope it turns out okay, but my intuition isn't filling me with joy at the moment.

Hopefully the information just isn't accurate, or something really huge is missing.

Neoxon

So, if it can play Pokémon Go it either has GPS and 4G or it will wirelessly tether to your phone...
Pokémon GO isn't really one of Nintendo's mobile games like Miitomo, Animal Crossing, & Fire Emblem are. And even then, I've mentioned the potential issues involving getting Pokémon GO on the NX earlier in this thread.

The early Super Famicom itself wasn't going to have BC but that other build was a redesigned Famicom, named the Famicom Adaptor (strangely enough) for the 8-bit games.

Now here is Electronic Gaming Monthly's report on the Super Famicom from July 1989 (EGM #2).
And sure, they show that redesigned 8-bit Famicom saying it was the original Famicom, even though it's obviously not the actual original design from 1983.
Plus, they get the year it was released wrong, saying 1985 (NES came to America in '85). Otherwise, it was a pretty fascinating article for the time.

(Actual 1983 8-bit Famicom)

5waBG0.png

Electronic Gaming Monthly's next major update on the Super Famicom, July 1990 (EGM #12).
Another good article, however they're saying SFC was revealed to the Japanese press in summer of 1989. No, that happened Nov. '88. Their own coverage began in summer 1989.

October 1990 (EGM #15) SFC Japan pre-launch.

Thanks, I appreciate that :) but I don't use twitter, facebook or social media in general.

Cool, thanks for the additional info and clarification.

Top Bottom