• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX will be "compatible with" Nintendo's Mobile games, is handheld/console hybrid

TLZ

Banned
I hope it turns out okay, but my intuition isn't filling me with joy at the moment.

Hopefully the information just isn't accurate, or something really huge is missing.

I still believe this is just the handheld and Nintendo giving you a way to play on tv.

People not interested in portables and just using this as a home console will be having a tablet sat in the dock 24/7, and that's quite a waste of screen and resources. They're basically making us pay extra money for a screen and portable parts that will be duds to us. Doesn't make sense, especially when they can make a cheaper home version without these parts, and Nintendo definitely don't want to miss out on that cheaper version.

Pokemon go with exclusive gen 2 or gen 3 (if they get that far by the NX launch) would be pretty huge as a launch title

Zelda X Pokemon X others 👀

jblank83

Pokemon go with exclusive gen 2 or gen 3 (if they get that far by the NX launch) would be pretty huge as a launch title

Zelda X Pokemon X others ��

Exactly what I was thinking.

Pokemon Go on the Nintendo Go with exclusive features/content. Doesn't even have to be locked content. The NX just has to function in some supplementary fashion to the mobile game (communication, maps, whatever), to encourage people to carry both around.

That's gonna sell some units.

The Giant

Banned
To everyone saying how will Pokemon Go work? It won't, Pokemon Go is NOT part of Nintendo/DeNA mobile game deal.

If the rumour is true, It's Miitomo, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing etc, plus future ones. That it will be compatible with the NX.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
As more of this stuff comes out or gets reported on, it continues to seem like a bad idea to have not announced it at e3, or at least some point already.

You can't get this close to release without officially revealing a single thing about it, without stuff leaking, or reports causing misinformation or w/e. You'd think they would want to unveil this sort of information themselves

Pokemon Go craze > Nintendo's stock +++++ > Nintendo states forecast won't change much and impact of GO will be minimal (knowing it would negatively impact stock) > Nintendo stock drops but still super healthy > N releases controlled NX leak to take advantage of the stock situation: it could go either way and if it dropped then shareholders could still think the market is just reassessing to less crazy values after PGO statements, meanwhile Nintendo can test the waters/tempering hardware's power expectations without suffering a visible drop in the market's value

2 cents in a tinfoil hat.gif

We have removed the orange port since the world is still not ready for such advance technology
l6Xfs9P.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm curious to see whether it supports mobile internet, if it doesn't then it's only going to have limited compatibility with mobile titles. I guess you could tether it to your phone...

I really wonder what it will mean for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. I hope it doesn't mean the next mainline entries will be for mobile, playable on NX also. I want some games that are made for a specific hardware and can benefit the power of that hardware. They can add some functionalities between the app and the game as long as it is not too intrusive.
What is even more puzzling is the Amiibo update for New Leaf that is planned in autumn...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder if this means that it has android or the article is wrong and it just means there will be cross play and save.

AzaK

I wonder if this means that it has android or the article is wrong and it just means there will be cross play and save.

Well at least if it's Android then it'll be funny too see all the hacks and things that happen. (No way will it be Android unless Nintendo is mad)

oti

Banned
Imagine if its a cell phone, would you replace your iPhone/Android with it?

Assume the main component is the same size as say, an iPhone 6+.

I think so, yes. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that I only use a couple of apps anyway. Twitter on iOS is the same stupid Twitter as Twitter on Android. Ecosystems just don't play that huge of a role for me anymore.

Some Nobody

I'm starting to admire Nintendo's stubbornness here. They are absolutely refusing to acknowledge any rumors whatsoever, even as fan speculation spirals out of control. At this rate there's a small chance news will actually break with some proof (pictures of the console or something) but they'll still keep mum until they're ready for the N-X presentation, whenever that happens to be.

Metal B

So since it's rumored, that Nintendo's mobile games will get ports for the NX, we can assume, that the touchscreen will be a capacitive one and not resistive. I will miss the stylus, but Multi-Touch and a higher accuracy are a better trait off. Maybe Nintendo will include a stylus for the capacitive screen.

BKSmash

The mobile games, the handheld games and the home console games all in one. NX will be one busy-ass console! Bless!

City 17

The full verse is:

•Three form factors under the sky,
•One NX to rule them all. One NX to find them,
•One NX to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In Nintendo Land based Tokyo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think they need to be careful it doesn't become defined by the smartphone compatibility. It needs a distinct identity. Otherwise people may just think 'well I have the best/most-popular stuff - e.g. Pokemon Go - on my phone already, so I guess I don't need that NX thing'

Compatibility or even just running their smartphone games makes sense, but I'm not sure they should really make much play of coat-tailing on the likes of Pokemon Go. It shouldn't be much more than icing in the marketing proposition.

Ekid

I'm wondering if DQXI is still coming to NX. Surprised to see SE bothering to port it to a totally different architecture far below PS4 et far above 3DS in power with most likely a very little install base at the time of release.

Aceofspades

Banned
So NX is basically good portable, really weak console with lots of Mobile games...ummm

It does make business sense but I'm afraid it means bad things for Quality full-fledge games.

Asd202

Exactly what I was thinking.

Pokemon Go on the Nintendo Go with exclusive features/content. Doesn't even have to be locked content. The NX just has to function in some supplementary fashion to the mobile game (communication, maps, whatever), to encourage people to carry both around.

That's gonna sell some units.

People are not playing Go for the game but rather the social aspect. Phone is enough.

Here is how the "compatible with" makes sense.

Android sandbox like the Wii Channel on Wii U.

This way you can have Android, as buggy as hell as it is, and still not infect the rest of the system.

This would mean that Nintendo mobile would not be the only games you could play on the system.

orioto

Good Art™
So i've not really being following that thread but.. I hope everyone realize, having the Nintendo smartphone games doesn't mean it'll be compatible with Android games right ?

it can also mean Nintendo smartphone games, which are already available on two os, will be also available on NX.

Here is how the "compatible with" makes sense.

Android sandbox like the Wii Channel on Wii U.

This way you can have Android, as buggy as hell as it is, and still not infect the rest of the system.

This would mean that Nintendo mobile would not be the only games you could play on the system.

No, the developers will just have a compiler for the NX platform and compilers for iOS/Android. Much simpler, much more secure.

If you want it in Layman's terms, that's how it works with something like Unity. You make the game in a platform-agnostic way, then you tell it which kind of "app" to make when you're done.

Krowley

It's not going to happen. Piracy and Security.

But, if I'm wrong Ill be having Humble Pie because "crow" is stupid. 99% sure I'm not wrong though.

Is there any way to customize android to the point where security wouldn't be as much of a concern?

I know Amazon has their own customized version of Android, but the "Amazon" part is just a thin veneer on the surface (or it seems that way.) Could Nintendo make a customized version that was much more proprietary?

If there is a way for them to put Android on this machine without making piracy ridiculously easy, I think they would be smart to do it. At the end of the day, piracy will happen anyway, and the potential benefits of Android compatibility are considerable.

Is there any way to customize android to the point where security wouldn't be as much of a concern?

I know Amazon has their own customized version of Android, but the "Amazon" part is just a thin veneer on the surface (or it seems that way.) Could Nintendo make a customized version that was much more proprietary?

If there is a way for them to put Android on this machine without making piracy ridiculously easy, I think they would be smart to do it. At the end of the day, piracy will happen anyway, and the potential benefits of Android compatibility are considerable.

Yes, its possible, but the question is more along the lines of "Is it worth the effort?" Now, no system is 100% secure, but building your own OS gives you a significant step up over customising one that is not only open-source, but has been actively hacked and taken apart for years.

In order to get "their" version of Android to a stage where they are comfortable with the security may take just as much (if not more) effort than creating their own custom OS (Which would likely to some degree be based on previous iteration, such as the Wii U one) which not only gives them more control over the security, but allows them to have a much more bespoke and tailored approach to how software for their system can speak to the Hardware. They would have total control over what graphics APIs (among many other things) would be compatible with the system, and wouldn't have to rely nearly as much on 3rd parties for system-level functionality updates.

I don't doubt that they have explored the possibility of using Android. I would actually be very strange if they hadn't, but I honestly can't see a way that it would benefit them other than it being slightly easier for developers to port (mobile) software to the system. If they have chosen Android I would be incredibly surprised (And will then keep my opinions to myself in future :p)

Oregano

I'm wondering if DQXI is still coming to NX. Surprised to see SE bothering to port it to a totally different architecture far below PS4 et far above 3DS in power with most likely a very little install base at the time of release.

It won't take long for NX to exceed PS4's userbase in Japan barring a disaster. Also UE4 is already on Tegra X1 so a PS4 port should be possible.

Top Bottom