• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ reporter : Standard capacity of Switch game card is around 16GB

Chobel

LShVikA.png

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791899762035335168

Lock if old.

EDIT: From Emily Rogers https://twitter.com/ArcadeGirl64/status/792071571384864768 (Thanks SinCityAssassin)

MmlsNlq.png

So, that's the smallest a Switch card will be?

Going by Nintendo's history with game cards, this means we'll be seeing much larger ones throughout the Switch's lifecycle.

Borman

Wasnt there a point on the PS3 where data was being duplicated to allow the slow bluray drive to keep up? Obviously 16gb isn't all that large, but at least its expandable from there.

Hydrus

Most Wii U games were not even close to 16 gb and they looked great. Don't think this will be an issue for Nintendo games.

I'll be really happy when all of the following questions are answered:

- Will I be able to use most "retail"-type games on game cards without having to download and install a bunch of data?
- What happens when I purchase a game, at retail or digitally, that I want to play online with another family member? Will I need to buy a second copy of the game?
- How much internal storage will the system have?
- How much space will most games take up when downloaded/installed?

These questions are all super inter-related and it sucks having to guess at what the answers might be.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nintendo first party games are always ridiculously small. It's the third party ones that would be a bit concerning.

Justified

How will patches be handle?

Does the switch have stand alone expandable storage, or will it all (DLC updates, patches) go on the game card

Pachinko

Standard in this case probably means lowest. I imagine with todays flash memory capability they could go from 16 GB all the way up to 128 GB.

I think the more pressing comment on everyones mind is - if the dock doesn't let you plug in a hard drive and a big name title gets thrown on the Switch that's 70GB with a 30 GB patch, where does it all get stored ? Is the console just going to rely entirely on solid state media ? Or will carts have a huge writable portion to hold patches ? (which could be a pretty effortless back door for pirates).

Guess we'll just have to wait until January.

Oh boy

This guy shouldnt even be reporting unless he knows what the max is

Im SURE 16GB carts will be used quite often

No reason to ship a game thats under that size on a 32GB cart

Makes sense but I wonder what the range will be

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lol. There goes any possibility for multiplats. Especially if this and the 4Gb ram is also true...

LordKano

How will patches be handle?

Does the switch have stand alone expandable storage, or will it all (DLC updates, patches) go on the game card

The same way as it's handled on 3DS : it goes on the storage of the console (or the SD card, if you have one)

tesla246

That is actually pretty good, if it is the minimum size. What was the 3DS minimum size again? 512MB minimum and a max of 8 GB?

About the usb harddrive option; didn't wiiU get support for that later? It seems likely to me that they will patch that in. They can always do that, right?

The big question now is how large they can get.

Steiner

Banned
People need to remember before over-reacting that this is standard, not maximum
Lol. There goes any possibility for multiplats. Especially if this and the 4Gb ram is also true...

Too late.
Yeah I really wish this guy would have waited to report this as a "headline." I've already seen a few peeps run with this under the erroneous assumption that the Switch won't be able to play any games that can't be compressed to 16GB or less.

Top Bottom