• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ Rumor: NX to "work with" PS4, smartphones, PC

6ca6302077.png

The forthcoming Nintendo NX console “may work with smartphones, PCs and even rival consoles such as PlayStation 4.”

The rumour comes via a tweet from Takashi Mochizuki from the Wall Street Journal, and appears to reference a report from David Gibson, a highly reputable chap who reports on Japanese gaming and tech for Macquarie.

TheSixthAxis

Console? Handheld? Neither?

I don't even know anymore

tiffcryingkpsc2.gif

EDIT: The report that the WSJ writer is sourcing (Credit NDP_Mulcair):

JazzmanZ

At this point I'm not going to believe anything about the NX until I see a video of it from Nintendo themselves

English isn't his first language so information from him usually ends up confusing people.
The PS4 part could mean it could rival it with its power or run games on it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It's unrealistic to assume that Sony/Microsoft/... would allow somebody else to run a rivaling ecosystem on their own platform. So at most, it'll be a companion app for secondary services, like MiiVerse, account management, etc., at least on those closed platforms. And even there, I can imagine that those platform holders would not want to allow it.

Sir TapTap

I'm guessing this will be in the same way that Wii U "works" with PS4 because you can open Miiverse's webpage in the web browser.

Dragon

Banned
I can see it working with any of the devices mentioned if Nintendo Network seriously expands its web presence. Anything else seems a bit weird, regarding PS4.

I'm guessing this will be in the same way that Wii U "works" with PS4 because you can open Miiverse's webpage in the web browser.

100% agreed.

Elandyll

Banned
Maybe they just mean that the social platform launching alongside the NX will be accessible by anything with apps/ browser support?

That would be rather expected...

epmode

After reading NX speculation/rumor threads over the last few months, I'm convinced that it will do EVERYTHING.

If Nintendo truly means to release the NX in 2016 they need to start talking about the thing soon. As in next month soon. Otherwise info will leak one waya or another as more third parties get their hands on dev kits (if any, of course).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Maybe they just mean that the social platform launching alongside the NX will be accessible by anything with apps/ browser support?

That would be rather expected...

Do you say "My PS4 works with my PC" when you access PSN from the PC? Or "My Wii U works with my PC" because you can open Miiverse on it?

This is possible in the following way:

NX will be the console and handheld hybrid we have been rumored, with a console under the TV and a Wii U-like controller that also functions as a handheld separate from the console. The console will have a HDMI in port, like on Xbox One.

There will be a feature to stream whatever goes into the HDMI in port to the handheld device, like Wii U off-TV play. This would allow you to get a PS4 or PC image (assuming your PC has HDMI out) to the handheld. There will also be a phone app to stream the image to your phone.

Top Bottom