• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Making New Handheld Game Device/E-Book Reader/Netbook Computer Thingy

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally the Wall Street Journal is very accurate about the things they leak.

Wall Street Journal said:
Meanwhile, Sony is developing a portable device that shares characteristics of handheld game machines, e-book readers and netbook computers, according to people familiar with the matter. Some Sony e-book readers already come with 3G connections but it is not clear if a new wireless gadget will use carrier networks.
Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703636404575352681516157268.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
As long as it doesn't have a touchscreen, physical media, or support for industry norms, I'm in!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OuterWorldVoice said:
As long as it doesn't have a touchscreen, physical media, or support for industry norms, I'm in!

:lol

It's like you are predicting what will happen for real.

Vinci said:
Holy shit. They're going to take on the iPad?
Might be a better sector to go after than the smaller form-factor that is getting more and more intensely squeezed between DS, iPhone, Android, and soon 3DS.

That said, I think it'd be smarter for Sony to team up with Google but stick to a PSP-size form factor that's easier to commute with and stick into a pocket.

At any rate, I doubt that this is the PSP2.

Vinci

Danish
badcrumble said:
Might be a better sector to go after than the smaller form-factor that is getting more and more intensely squeezed between DS, iPhone, Android, and soon 3DS.

That said, I think it'd be smarter for Sony to team up with Google but stick to a PSP-size form factor that's easier to commute with and stick into a pocket.

At any rate, I doubt that this is the PSP2.

Honestly, I think they had a better chance with a phone. This puts them in direct competition with Apple and its App Store on Apple's playing field. We'll have to see what they have in mind with such a device, but this doesn't sound remotely intelligent to me.

Barrett2

poochie3.jpg

mello

Kilrogg said:
But does it do 3D?

Without the glasses? I can see this being a problem since they're trying to sell 3D TVs that require them. They wouldn't want to confuse there consumers now would they? :D

A portable device that require glasses would be a pretty uncomfortable experience too.

Vinci said:
Honestly, I think they had a better chance with a phone. This puts them in direct competition with Apple and its App Store on Apple's playing field. We'll have to see what they have in mind with such a device, but this doesn't sound remotely intelligent to me.
I don't think a phone is a good idea at all, because I've already got an iPhone that I'm perfectly happy with and don't particularly care to pay for telephony hardware in another device if I won't be using it.
ShockingAlberto said:
This seems...unfocused.
And yet it's certainly not un-focus-grouped! Ba-zing!

dacuk

If they apply to it the same pricing scheme of the PSPGo, it will cost at least $700. So a competitor to the 3DS, it is not.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mello said:
Without the glasses? I can see this being a problem since they're trying to sell 3D TVs that require them. They wouldn't want to confuse there consumers now would they? :D

The glasses ARE the device.

protonion said:
Something sort of like this, but more like a Google-Sony collaboration, would be pretty nice. Google and Sony don't really compete with each other at this point, and yet they both are competing with Microsoft and Apple, so it'd certainly make some sense.

szaromir

Banned
Vinci said:
If PSP2 has a screen that would work great for an e-reader in all lighting conditions (outdoors, sunny etc.) and games at the same time, they might have a winner on their hands. Of course, other factors are also important, but I'd be very curious to see such a device.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ShockingAlberto said:
This seems...unfocused.

That sounds like a pejorative alternative to 'multifunctional' :p

There's nothing inherently wrong with a do-it-all device. The key question is implementation, as always, something we're clueless about for now.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I suggest a title change:

Tired of getting it's ass kicked by Nintendo, Sony decides to get an ass kicking by Apple.

Vinci

Danish
badcrumble said:
I don't think a phone is a good idea at all, because I've already got an iPhone that I'm perfectly happy with and don't particularly care to pay for telephony hardware in another device if I won't be using it.

Not in your case, it isn't. But in a larger, mainstream market? I think it's a wiser move.

I'm speaking under the assumption that they'd work with Droid on a PSPhone. Their back catalogue of titles would help differentiate them within that space - and since everyone needs a phone and Droid is doing decently well right now, there's something to be said for that. But in this case, this is a luxury computer device - and I think it's going to be hard to beat the iPad in that space.

Xater

Vinci said:
Holy shit. They're going to take on the iPad?

That's what it sounds like. They can't beat Nintendo so they go for the iPad market.

This sounds like a dumb idea and I have serious doubts they can compete with Apple there.

badcrumble said:
Something sort of like this, but more like a Google-Sony collaboration, would be pretty nice. Google and Sony don't really compete with each other at this point, and yet they both are competing with Microsoft and Apple, so it'd certainly make some sense.

They're both partners on Google TV, so this would certainly make sense, and I'd love to see it as well.

Vinci said:
Not in your case, it isn't. But in a larger, mainstream market? I think it's a wiser move.

I'm speaking under the assumption that they'd work with Droid on a PSPhone. Their back catalogue of titles would help differentiate them within that space - and since everyone needs a phone and Droid is doing decently well right now, there's something to be said for that. But in this case, this is a luxury computer device - and I think it's going to be hard to beat the iPad in that space.
I'd be fine with it if they went with the general model that Apple has - an iPhone for those who want the telephony, an iPod Touch for those who don't. PSPhone and PSP2 that run the same software and OS.

I think it's silly for people to think that convergence devices are a bad idea. The iPhone is an incredible success precisely because it's a great convergence device. So is, y'know, the personal computer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems like they wont try to compete head to head with nintendo this time.

Cygnus X-1

Thus Sony will follow apple and not Nintendo. Would be laughable if at the last second a 3D implementation will be announced.

Deku

Banned
Metioned this pre-E3 that Sony would leave the core games segment, with a large kids demo, to Nintendo and carve a niche catering to affluent techies in their 20s and 30s, which was always their aim with the PSP.

Seems consistent with what was rumoured prior (that PSP tech was going into tablets). How this is positioned against the 3DS on one side and iPad/Tablets should be very interesting.

I think they will succeed in this niche. (or maybe I'm just optimisitic)

Top Bottom