• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

SerTapTap

I do think they are going to sell this for four figures as a premium experience.

There is zero chance any AAA dev is going to bother making a different build for a >$1000 Homer-car console that no one buys. If they make a more powerful iteration I can't see it being higher than the infamous $599

Lister

Banned
I am interested to see if the new PS4K has any benefits to someone with a non 4K screen. I would be interested in a PS4 upgrade, but do not want to replace my 1080p Plasma for the next couple of years.

It's not goign to run games at a native 4K, but will likely be capable of upscaling, not that that's going to be much better than what a good 4K TV can already do.

But it's almost certina to support 4K video streams and 4K blu-ray movies. Obvisouly, without a 4K TV you won't be seieng any advnatage there.

TyrantII

Sounds to me if you want to play anything more than Indy games, you'll need the PS4K.

I always wondered howd they deal with VR with their console. Guess this is it.

I think this is a really bad idea. I have some fairly casual players in my family and circle of friends that buy consoles specifically so they won't have to deal with this stuff.

Sony needs to tread carefully if they don't want to ruin the good will they've had the past few years. Customers as a whole are not as brand loyal as they think. They've jumped ship to different consoles every single generation.

Then there's the hardcore player and industry folks like me and many of the posters here. Folks like us are semi split on this, but the consumer and developer parts of me hate the idea of fracturing a user base and losing the unified SKU of developing for a console.

This is a bad idea.

nib95

Banned
I wonder if it'll be out this year, and I wonder how much it'll improve a game like Uncharted 4? Anyway, still think this sets a bad precedent, and is a potentially dangerous move, but we shall see.

On Demand

Banned
This move is so bizarre.

PS4 is in first place and is the most powerful console this gen. Who in the board room thought this wasn't enough for them?

"PS4 is selling at a break neck pace, nothing can stop it!"

"But it needs 4k"

"Ok, kill PS4 now and release PS4.5!"

Don't worry, these consoles are going to fail.

To be fair these consoles are underpowered. I'm sure this move is in part because of VR and devs needing extra power. Let's be real we aren't going to have another 7-8 year console gen again. This is how you squeeze out a couple more years.

Yeah but that is moving target if they want to compete with PC. This is lot of resources to put to VR, which IMO a fad that will burn out quickly. It is destroying the console market because some of us want to buy one box that lasts 6+ or more years. There hasn't been that many graphical powerhouse games made for PS4. Most of the stuff I have been playing is just indie stuff.

cyber_ninja

Heading over to gamestop after work to cancel my Uncharted 4 console bundle preorder until they announce it. My launch unit gonna stay with me a little longer now.

This whole thing just feels... ominous... to me. :/

I sincerely hope it's just my complete lack of understanding of whatever implications could come from this.

There's probably going to be just enough power to uprez to 4k and have the psvr breakout box built in this thing. can't see any dev spending resources on trying to develop an additional version of a AAA title that takes advantage of extra power

gcubed

How many of you that already own a PS4 will upgrade? I ain't since I do a majority of my gaming on PC nowadays. I ain't upgrading nothing until Sony releases PS5 :).

I will and will most likely be my last and move over to majority PC gaming

So like new 3ds? I'm cool with this. Sign me up for 3 year upgrade cycles over 5-7 years.

There's probably going to be just enough power to uprez to 4k and have the psvr breakout box built in this thing. can't see any dev spending resources on trying to develop an additional version of a AAA title that takes advantage of extra power

I really doubt the break out box will be built in, what would be the point of that?

entremet

Little Johnny ain't getting a new PS4.5. His parents are gonna say no.

Big John who has a dedicated Home Theatre, is single and childless, and has tons of disposable income will. That's who Sony is going after.

We're hitting the Apple approach of multiple SKUs running the same software, but some SKUs having better performance.

Welcome to a new era of gaming.

THE:MILKMAN

I'll still believe this only when I'll see it.
PS4 slim with small improvements all around (VR unit inside, less noise, small CPU/GPU boost,etc) though? This one is not really surprising. Making this move this soon is though.

I can't see that to be honest. The VR dev kit apparently comes with a power brick rated for 36 watts (12v, 3amps) which at a guess would pull a Wii like 18-20W at the wall alone.

No idea what chip(s) would need that sort of power and active cooling.

Elandyll

Banned
This feels like it could singlehandedly kill PSVR and probably hurt future PS consoles a lot too. Announcing before PSVR launches seems like extra stupid timing so I'm still finding this hard to believe. Why would you basically tell people "hey might want to cancel those preorders and wait a while if you don't want shit to suck, losers!" while they still have ample time to just not buy PSVR at all.
What on earth are you talking about?

/smh

Now, being a bit more rational, it looks like they would (if all true) be going for what I considered to be option #2: Not just a mid gen refresh with slightly different design, but a true iteration having to be sold alongside the existing PS4 at a higher price, either $399 or $499 (for a pretty beefy version, but good luck convincing the masses at that price), while the regular PS4 would be at $299.

My guess is that Sony is aiming at being their own competitor, with a mass market model and a more upscale one, which was so far mostly seen in phones and... cars. Makes sense though I guess.

Still don't believe for a minute that we'll see native 4k gaming on that, whether at 30 or 60fps, unless they want to say "Will play games in 4k!"*

* only on certain less demanding games, specified on the box.

I think rather that there will be some form of 4k upscale, and that the PS4k will be more geared towards people wanting a machine able to play most modern AAAs at 60fps in 1080p, and including a 1Tb HDD, an UHD Blu Ray and a dual band WiFi.

Mathieran

Banned
Sony really needs to address this. There is too much speculation and uncertainty and it's not the good kind. It's honestly hurting the goodwill Sony has built up for me. I am on the fence about this, some legitimate info would go a long way towards making me feel about pre ordering the PSVR. It would be pretty shitty to release it only to find out that I need to upgrade my console too in order to play certain games.

Chittagong

Gold Member
WSJ is as close as you get to official without actually announcing the thing.

Companies use WSJ for controlled leaks to prepare the market for potentially disruptive news, and to float ideas.

I'm personally super happy to upgrade to a Super PS4.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
If i can play Uncharted 4 at 60fps and watch my deadpool 4k blu-ray. I'll buy at a high price.

$500 max

nib95

Banned
How many of you that already own a PS4 will upgrade? I ain't since I do a majority of my gaming on PC nowadays. I ain't upgrading nothing until Sony releases PS5 :).

I'll probably upgrade one of my PS4's, but not both. Still irritating though. Hopefully it's easier to back up and copy data over these days.

It's not much different from the upgrade from the DS to the 3DS in my mind - I'm totally happy with this, and I don't think we'll suddenly get a total exodus of 'original PS4' games/developers just because there is a more powerful version available. The huge PS4 install base won't disappear overnight.

This. Besides, we've already shown corporations we'll gobble up yearly iterations of tech. (Apple, Samsung etc.)

Tobor

If Apple had followed the console model, we'd all still be using the original iPad and getting ready for the iPad 2.

It's time for consoles to join the rest of the consumer electronics industry. This is progress.

McHuj

Surprised Sony hasn't addressed this is some sort of manner. If it was completely false, they'd squash it.

entremet

If Apple had followed the console model, we'd all still be using the original iPad and getting ready for the iPad 2.

It's time for consoles to join the rest of the consumer electronics industry. This is progress.

Yep. Last generation was disastrous with its ultra long cycle on outdated hardware.

I don't know the history so is this sarcasm or not?
It's not sarcasm. WSJ is legit. Their Opinion Pages are insane, but their financial reporting is top notch.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This is great I can use my old PS4 as a streaming box to replace my aging phat PS3 in the living room

I really hate Windows 10/Steam/modern PC gaming but didn't want to be left behind.....this is a dream come true

Boke1879

People do realize you don't have to buy this right? The ps4 will be perfectly fine for you. This is a console to get the best out of VR and a bit more headroom. I can see this being something purely for enthusiasts.

big_z

We need a trade-in program :p

I think this is the only way to do it right without following in segas footsteps of hardware missteps

not sure people are going to take to the cellphone model with consoles. if they don't sony and Microsoft are going to get fucked.

Hargate

My fear with this PS4/PS4K is that while games will run on both systems they may not care about performance as much on the PS4. They already struggle to get a steady 30 FPS. I expect another Hyrule Warriors situation where the 3DS version runs at 20 FPS and the N3DS at 30.

Top Bottom