• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

GameSeeker

New article from the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-plans-new-playstation-for-graphics-heavy-games-1459152941

No new information from what is already rumored, but more proof that Sony is planning an improved PS4 model. The WSJ tends to have a very good track record in these matters.

Sony Corp. is planning to sell a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 machine to handle higher-end gaming experiences, including virtual reality, people familiar with the matter said, while continuing production of its existing console that has so far sold more than 36 million units world-wide.

Existing PlayStation 4 owners would need to buy the new model to take full advantage of the enhanced graphics and power, though it is likely that the current model and the coming one would share the same software catalog, one of the people said.

The new console would be announced before the planned October release of the PlayStation VR, Sony’s new virtual-reality headset, the people said. It would be able to handle ultra-high-definition resolution graphics. The upgraded console would also provide more power for running the PlayStation VR, whose main competitors, Facebook Inc.’s Oculus Rift and HTC Corp.’s Vive, are designed to work with top-shelf computers.

Well, I guess it's all but confirmed now. WSJ doesn't write these stories without confirmation.

I just hope that it will come out this year. I'd be really pissed if I bought the PSVR and then they came out next year with the breakout box internal.

c0de

So their Interpretation based on the same rumors? This is as legit as every post in the two threads here.

Mikey Jr.

Well, we'll see what happens.

This could do extremely well or become an absolute miserable failure. Not much precedent for this.

MrHoot

Welcome to the era of the 32x all over again. Forget your old SHITTY hardware guys, please buy the new one..you don't HAVE to but we'll make sure you'll feel miserable if you don't

qatak

Neo Member
have we heard anything about whether the increased PSVR capabilities will just mean that the external box is built in? Or will we be getting higher framerate that the 2013 PS4 can handle?

Eolz

able to handle ultra-high-definition resolution graphics
Graphics-Heavy Games

I'll still believe this only when I'll see it.
PS4 slim with small improvements all around (VR unit inside, less noise, small CPU/GPU boost,etc) though? This one is not really surprising. Making this move this soon is though.

Stike

So their Interpretation based on the same rumors? This is as legit as every post in the two threads here.

Wanted to ask this as well. Do they just parrot what they got from Kotaku etc or do they have better/other sources?

zsynqx

Well at least from this article, the implication is that it won't be launching this year.

Edit: Actually maybe not. hmmmm

Ooccoo

This is how the industry collapses IMO. We've seen the signs already. Hope you guys love PC gaming because consoles are done for.

Trojan

Sony Corp. is planning to sell a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 machine to handle higher-end gaming experiences, including virtual reality,

I still believe this revision is firmly rooted in VR capabilities, with the benefits of that extra horsepower being available for new games but not mandatory. Sony would be insane to fragment the market into 3 segments of PS4, PS4.5, and VR.

Peltz

Still not sure how I feel about this. It's somewhat unappealing.

If this becomes an industry practice, it may be the thing which finally turns me into aPC gamer.

Does it say they have an exclusive source that is not one of the news items already posted?

Still having a hard time believing this tbh.

Still think it is mostly VR and 4K video.

TheGhostSix

Neo Member
Well that's...whatever. Doesn't really add anything to the conversation but I guess we can all but confirm it now.

Though they do say both consoles would share the same library so I'm glad we're not venturing into New 3DS territory here

I, for one, cannot WAIT to see what these "ultra-high-definition resolution graphics" look like on PS4K.

sass1.png

sass2.png

Well, I guess it's all but confirmed now. WSJ doesn't write these stories without confirmation.

I just hope that it will come out this year. I'd be really pissed if I bought the PSVR and then they came out next year with the breakout box internal.
Nothing is confirmed until you hear Sony say so.

True Fire

Why doesn't Sony take advantage of an external GPU for its existing install base? It would kill the idea of a console generation, but Nintendo and Microsoft look like they're moving towards ending traditional generations anyway.

I really, really hope this is just for VR shit, especially considering this isn't like some sort of add-on for your current PS4 (as far as we know) like the 32X or the cancelled Sega Saturn 3D accelerator.

Well that's...whatever. Doesn't really add anything to the conversation but I guess we can all but confirm it now.

Though they do say both consoles would share the same library so I'm glad we're not venturing into New 3DS territory here

I imagine certain games will have "VR Compatible on PS4K"

ps3ud0

Would have been nice to get this announced and detailed before PSVR pre-orders as I thought if they are going to such trouble as a new model that theyd integrated the VR processor box and ports into the PS4.5

ps3ud0 8)

playXray

Welcome to the era of the 32x all over again. Forget your old SHITTY hardware guys, please buy the new one..you don't HAVE to but we'll make sure you'll feel miserable if you don't

It's not much different from the upgrade from the DS to the 3DS in my mind - I'm totally happy with this, and I don't think we'll suddenly get a total exodus of 'original PS4' games/developers just because there is a more powerful version available. The huge PS4 install base won't disappear overnight.

WSJ is batting 1000 with its rumor articles. Really don't see how a new probably $500 PS4 box plays games in 4K that aren't indies. I have a 4K set and would be elated if they actually pulled it off where new titles would be 4K

vpance

From the article

Macquarie Securities projects Sony will sell eight million PlayStation VR headsets in the product’s first two years on the market, but Macquarie says it will take years before the hardware device itself becomes a considerable profit contributor. For now, the headsets will drive highly profitable software sales, Macquarie wrote in a research note recently.

That's a lot. Sony would be very happy with those kinds of sales.

Top Bottom