• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Trump to roll back ACA requirements with EOs next week

lush

President Donald Trump will sign an executive order next week to start lifting some insurance rules set by his predecessor’s Affordable Care Act in the aftermath of the failed Republican bid to repeal the law, a senior administration official said Saturday.

The order is aimed at expanding insurance options for Americans who buy coverage on their own or work for a small employer, and would include broad instructions for agencies to explore ways to loosen regulations and potentially lower premiums, as well as looking at three specific areas of health insurance. It has been anticipated by industry officials and political observers in the days since the GOP repeal effort crashed.

Mr. Trump will order three agencies, the departments of Health and Human Services, Labor and Treasury, to take steps to make it easier for people to band together and buy insurance through “association health plans,” the official said.

The president also will order the agencies to start winding back an Obama-era rule curbing coverage known as “short-term medical insurance,” a low-cost but limited-protection option, and allow people to once again buy those plans for up to a year, the official said.

In addition, the executive order would order agencies to expand health reimbursement accounts, employer-funded arrangements that employees can use to pay out-of-pocket medical costs and premiums. Obama-era guidance from 2013 had prevented pretax employer dollars in the arrangements from being used to buy health insurance on the individual market.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/tr...insurance-options-for-self-insured-1507410483

Couple that with slashed outreach and a shorter sign-ups period a month out from open enrollment and this administration is in full on sabotage mode.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wonder how the GOP is going to own it when premiums go up and coverage goes down because of Trump.

"What did I tell you folks? Obamacare was a ticking time bomb set to explode. Blame the black man."

And done.

Foffy

Banned
Wonder how the GOP is going to own it when premiums go up and coverage goes down because of Trump.

"The Democrats didn't work with us and opposed measures that would really help Americans"

Remember, the GOP has been the party of anti-intellectuals since at least Ronald Reagan. They'll make up a spook and people who cling to the party of normalized terrorism will nod and agree without objection.

Kevinroc

Saw Andy Slavitt talking about this on twitter a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/916069859066286081

1/ I am leaving 4 intense days in DC & now have a very different theory of what's going on in HC. Will tweet soon.

Follow if interested.

2/ GOP is now trying to create what I call "synthetic repeal."

Before I explain what that means let me tell you why this is happening.

3/ GOP has 7 years of promises and a lot of fundraising to pay back. Moore's win in AL punctuates the point that the R base is very unhappy.

4/ GOP needs to compete in primaries & fundraise. Make no mistake that is a 2018 reality weighing on them.

5/Three strategic choices:
a- say repeal failed & move on
b- promise to try again next yr
c- "synthetic repeal"

First step is "c".

6/ Synthetic repeal allows them 2 say: sure, we didn't repeal the ACA because of RINO holdouts, but before long it will be effectively done.

7/ Synthetic repeal goes after ALL the big cahuanas: huge Medicaid cuts, pre-ex protections & the mandates. WITHOUT REPLACEMENTS.

8/ CBO would score the synthetic repeal an absolute disaster.

9/ The tools for synthetic repeal are:
- An Executive Order coming next week
- The budget/tax plan
- Sabotage of the ACA (not even denied)

10/ The EO allows "association health plans"-- ability for plans to be offered with no pre-ex protections & turn ACA into a high risk pool.

11/ In states that have done things like this, like TN, premiums have skyrocketed and competitors have left the market.

12/ This Executive Order next week is a massive undermining of state's, insurance markets & American families.

13/ Anyone will be able to create a plan that usurps state authority. And across state lines.

Graham Cassidy "state's rights" 😂😂😂😂😂😂

14/ The tax cut is the other side of the nickel of Medicaid cuts.

Rs will need Medicaid 2 deal w $1 trillion+ shortfall 2 balanced budget.

15/ From their standpoint, either vehicle could work.👇

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/915419455894810625

One Senator said to me tonight: the health care bill was about hidden tax cuts. Now the tax bill is about hidden health care cuts.

16/ In fact, I've heard some say tax vehicle will be easier for Rs because opposition won't recognize it as a health care fight.

17/ Sabotage effort 2 drive up prices w no CSR payment, limit enrollment, deny/ignore state waivers is designed to beat the ACA unworkable.

18/ Someone in a position to know i surer thinking told me Assoc plans & sabotage will leave markets bare in '19 so ppl have no options.

19/ Many states will have exclusionary plans 4 healthy (like pre-ACA days, big MCD cuts. Budget also allows mandate to be cut, ⬆️ premiums.

20/ Synthetic repeal would butcher ACA beyond recognition. GOP could back 4 a draconian full repeal w yes votes coming out of necessity.

21/ The troubling part (yeah, there's a troubling part) is it can be done with much less public recognition of it all. Cc: boiling frog.

22/ This is Synthetic Repeal as I see it. No one is calling it that but that's the plan as I see it. (Couple more tweets promise that's it)

23/ SR is the most underhanded perversion of the law I can think of w little thought 4 the impact on ppl.

But it doesn't mean it will work.

24/ So response to SR? Working on it now. I won't be alone.

Right now let's #GetUSCovered. One win at a time.

End

TheContact

He’s desperately searching for any kind of W. He can pretend like he thinks he’s accomplishing something but he knows truly he’s a fuck up. He can’t do the wall or anything else he promised but the one thing he feels like he can pull off is fucking over as many middle and lower class people as he can before his 4 years are up. We chose this asshole.

Wilsongt

With the ACA being gutted, and Trump's general attack on the way health insurance works, I guess I can expect that the medicine my insurance currently pays for for my eczema will have to end soon.

Bleepey

Al Qaeda wishes it could be as evil as the Republican Party. No I am not being hyperbolic.

I wanna slap the shit out of Republican voters, then those who stayed at home, then third party voters. You're idiots.

Kevinroc

More of Slavitt talking about what he dubs "Synthetic Repeal."

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/916370792925057024

Yesterday I tweeted this thread about #SyntheticRepeal of the ACA & promised 2 work on solutions.

Will tweet shortly. Follow if interested.

2/ There of course is no perfect antidote to #SyntheticRepeal it that doesn't mean we don't do everything we can.

3/ #SyntheticRepeal is stuff we no about:
-CSR pmt
-Not enforcing law
-Mktg & in person help cut
-Now allowing state waivers
-Much more...

4/ But then there's all that we don't know about or aren't public.

Call centers, website outages-- anything to depress enrollment.

5/ The number one thing is to help #GetUSCovered. All the resources 👇

Donate, volunteer, help if you can.

https://getamericacovered.org/

6/ What about the Executive Order for Assoc health plans👇 which would end pre-ex?

This EO is unlikely to be supportable by law.

7/ I connected to some lawyers, states & AG offices. They should protect consumers with vigor. Many will & we need to insist.

8/ Your doctor & hospital shouldn't do business with "insurers" that don't protect their patients-- with pre-ex, caps & essential benefits.

9/ Let me repeat: The hcare community can play many roles in stopping what the law can't.

If it's destructive 2 public health, they should.

10/ The final critical area of opposing #SyntheticRepeal is to oppose the #TaxAndMedicaidCut currently being debated.

11/ 4 ways to limit damage of #SyntheticRepeal.
1- #GetUSCovered
2- oppose EO legally, contracts
3- defeat tax cut
4- be a #healthcarevoter

12/ That's just a start. Will keep working. End

SoulUnison

Banned
"I can't beat this in rhetoric or support so I'll bludgeon it to death with the thing I complained my predecessor was making too overreaching a use of."

"The Democrats didn't work with us and opposed measures that would really help Americans"

Remember, the GOP has been the party of anti-intellectuals since at least Ronald Reagan. They'll make up a spook and people who cling to the party of normalized terrorism will nod and agree without objection.

People blame the party in power, rightly or wrongly. Maybe not his super fans but they don't matter.

Steel

Banned
I find myself hoping the supreme court can do something about this. But then i remember that Gorsuch just got put in there....

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
We need to make noise like we made noise about them trying to pass a worse healthcare bill, so we know that whats gonna happen is entirely because of trump before him and the repubs try to blame something else.

Trump is still counting on the Democrats to save the Republicans from themselves but even though we'll all suffer I hope that not a single Dem rep or senator helps them pass a new half assed healthcare bill.

old

Mr. Trump will order three agencies, the departments of Health and Human Services, Labor and Treasury, to take steps to make it easier for people to band together and buy insurance through “association health plans,” the official said.

They have a name for that. It's called "health insurance".

And when it was loosely regulated like this would be, they don't allow sick people with pre-existing conditions to join at reasonable prices or at all.

Cipherr

What I wonder is how the morons complaining about the current high rates that somehow attribute it to Obamacare will respond when gutting the ACA only drives their costs that much higher.

Foffy

Banned
He has chosen the way of pain. Single payer it is.

The public now believes government has a responsibility to assure its citizens health care.

The GOP does not wish to accept this, and their only wall is gerrymandering.

Destroy this wall and these guys are effectively blowing the floor that they stand on.

It's either that or you're going to start seeing vigilantes shooting more Republicans, like what happened at that baseball field. People with nothing to lose have nothing to lose. I am deeply concerned about this, for while we can agree violence seems like a last resort, I can understand the motivations and reasoning of such attacks and threats onto the lives of GOP members in office. The person who threatened a GOP member via email comes particularly to mind.

That should scare the fuck out of anyone, because if you can have understanding with those who turn violent or threaten senators for "not having souls and selling the public down a river," you understand we've socially created the conditions for this to be seen as rational, and potentially, a trend.

What I wonder is how the morons complaining about the current high rates that somehow attribute it to Obamacare will respond when gutting the ACA only drives their costs that much higher.
This is the thing that confuses me the most. There is no end game that delivers the Republicans a better plan than the ACA for their constituents. So what do they intend to do when premiums skyrocket? Hope those angry voters all die before the next election?

Foffy

Banned
This is the thing that confuses me the most. There is no end game that delivers the Republicans a better plan than the ACA for their constituents. So what do they intend to do when premiums skyrocket? Hope those angry voters all die before the next election?

Either that or they accept that America "lives in a world where health care is a choice, because f r e e d o m."

Freedom, in this context, is often the inverse of what it's meant to be. Freedom from care. Freedom from treatment.

That's not freedom. That's oppression and tyranny.

At this point they're just doing whatever they can to loosen the burden on their corporate masters. The entire Repblican party is just a scheme to fool poor people into lining the pockets of billionaires with more gold.

Republicans have blamed Obama for the Iraq War. Everything is the fault of liberals.

linkboy

They honestly don't care. They spent the last 17, probably even more, telling their base that it's all the liberals fault.

The just blame this on Democrats and their base will buy it like they always do.

BriGuy

The public now believes government has a responsibility to assure its citizens health care.

Destroy this wall and these guys are effectively blowing the floor that they stand on.

It's either that or you're going to start seeing vigilantes shooting more Republicans, like what happened at that baseball field. People with nothing to lose have nothing to lose. I am deeply concerned about this, for while we can agree violence seems like a last resort, I can understand the motivations and reasoning of such attacks and threats onto the lives of GOP members in office. The person who threatened a GOP member via email comes particularly to mind.

That should scare the fuck out of anyone, because if you can have understanding with those who turn violent or threaten senators for "not having souls and selling the public down a river," you understand we've socially created the conditions for this to be seen as rational, and potentially, a trend.

In other words, we can expect single-payer healthcare and gun control legislation before too long?

Pomerlaw

636318426610168593-XXX-roger-waters-10.jpg

To be completely honest? I'm not worried about it in the slightest. Do I want it to happen? No. But there is a turning point where only the irrational will sit down and take it, or simply wave signs around while the police beat you into submission if you're lucky, or throw you into prison (upward of 70 years) for being even tangentially positioned to someone throwing a rock into a window.

They are fishing for assassinations, they won't get the right to claim they didn't know what they were doing when they fish them up.

This isn't "oh well that's going to be a pain in the ass," when budget cuts make the DMV open for four hours a day four days a week instead of 9-5, 5 days a week, this is "My little sister will die if we can't afford to pay upfront for the surgery to remove an operable tumor," "My mother will die because she can't afford insulin, so she's been taking half her normal dose when she needs it instead of her full dose."

This is them coating their faces with foam and biting at people like a rabid dog, and there is only the one cure for late-stage rabies.

Foffy

Banned
In other words, we can expect single-payer healthcare and gun control legislation before too long?

In a just world, yes.

But this requires a lot to happen.

- Gerrymandering must die.
- The Democratic party needs a vision for the 21st century beyond being an opposition block: there is much for them to do here.
- The GOP has to continue to self-implode.
- NRA clauses that prevent gun violence from being researched into must be revoked; I would say this is the first pillar to kill their grip.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This may make single-payer/universal-healthcare/medicare-for-all a wedge issue the Democrats can actually run on. They can say Obamacare was the compromise, the Republicans broke it, and healthcare is a right and they're the only party that can deliver it.

The GoP has two options in 2020: a) say that healthcare's not the domain of the govt., which is unpopular, or b) say that they can deliver healthcare better than the Dems, which their record from this term will kill them on. And that's more than a philosophical proposition, people will notice that their healthcare went missing over the years leading to 2020.

The GoP gained by simply obstructing and grandstanding on ACA, the Dems can do the same on ACA repeal, but everyone knows the Dems have an actual healthcare plan they can put forward in 2020.

That's my most optimistic take. That the pendulum swings back on healthcare.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think at this point I can safely say that I hope every major member of the GOP gets a horrible disease that destroys their lives. They're fucking terrible people constantly doing terrible things.

Gorillaz

he's definitely going to do the whole "see look obamacare is failing" routine at the midterms

too predictable the only more predictable thing will be people actually believing it

Kevinroc

I don't see how this isn't anything but overreach, but the damage will already be done. There will be insurers who will pull out of the market, rates will rise all over the place, and people will die because of this.

Top Bottom