• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: Renting games is forbidden in Belgium starting december 1st

Tain

Can someone inform me about the whole renting process in America, do publishers/developers get payed a small fee for each time a game is rented?

If not than it's just as bad as piracy, only you're paying someone for it.

It's also every single bit as mortifying as a little kid buying a game and his brother playing it. Christ, those poor developers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tain said:
It's also every single bit as mortifying as a little kid buying a game and his brother playing it. Christ, those poor developers.

or someone selling their old beatles records at a garage sale without writing ringo a check. horror of horrors!

eznark

Banned
Alaluef said:
Some crazy ass people in this thread. I hope that you guys who are advocating this shit don't lend your games to friends or relatives and when there's a multiplayer session at your houses you make sure everyone bought a copy of the game, otherwise it's piracy and babies will die of hunger.

Allowing multiple controllers is tantamount to piracy. Someone must punish the console manufacturers

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
eznark said:
Allowing multiple controllers is tantamount to piracy. Someone must punish the console manufacturers

Only Nintendo. MS and Sony only have games that can be played online against other people who also have a copy of the game. :p

eXistor

I work at Game Mania (in the Netherlands) and I've known this for ages. I thought it was old news? I don't think they've made a big secret out of it as far as I know.

Ironballs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a rental store had a particularly popular title that was consistently sold out, wouldn't that store buy more copies of that title to meet demand?

That's terrible. I just started renting games again to try and save some money. I wouldn't be happy if suddenly it became illegal. I would probably be out another $120 for Dead Space and Saints Row 2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ironballs said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a rental store had a particularly popular title that was consistently sold out, wouldn't that store buy more copies of that title to meet demand?

no, rental stores don't buy games. they materialize in warehouses from the evaporated tears of bankrupt developers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Danielsan said:
Can someone inform me about the whole renting process in America, do publishers/developers get payed a small fee for each time a game is rented?

If not than it's just as bad as piracy, only you're paying someone for it.

Nope. Game copies are just retail copies. Rentint them out is downright criminal (figuratively speaking).

Notorious_Roy said:
How about renting movies. Or a library?

Movies are completely different. Movies in rental stores are not simple retail copies...unless that's changed in recent years. It used to be, at least, that rental copies cost somewhere in between $100-$200.

I have a feeling publishers may just get royalties for rentals now...though I'm not sure. Anyone have an idea what the current legal status is with movie rentals?

eznark

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
no, rental stores don't buy games. they materialize in warehouses from the evaporated tears of bankrupt developers.

That's not true. Rental outlets have special acquisition representatives who seduce the wives of developers in order to get close to the games they so covet. They steal the games, wreck the marriage and piss in the developers children's cereal.

It's a fact.

Coins

Banned
The customers will get harmed in the long run by lower quality video games and a smaller amount of releases. Devs get harmed by loosing jobs, studios closing or getting out buyed, projects getting canned etc. As said before just take the downward spiral of the Amiga developer scene as an example of what happend when every gamer was an cheap ass unwilling to pay for their gaming experience.

The only way customers get harmed by making lower quality video games is if they start buying shit games. Since we have a free market, a customer decides where the money goes. No one will actively seek out making shit games because they want their product to be better than the competition.

As for devs losing jobs and studios closing? I dont give a fuck. Its a dog eat dog world and if you want job security, go join the military. Do you use internet, cable, satellite, phone service? Those are all industries with outsourced jobs so please dont come on here crying about how we should care about your job when you directly participate in funding other companies that dont care about jobs, too.

I see "people in the industry" come on here a lot and bitch about, well, what amounts to capitalism. You want special protection for some reason and its not warranted. Learn to thrive in capitalism or exit the industry. Dont like the way it works? Change it but dont ask for the government to do it for you.

TheExodu5

Banned
You know, people saying developers should make games worth owning...that's not a bad point. The problem though, is that that point can also be applied to pirated titles.

In the same way though, I agree that, like piracy, this is something developers need to deal with. If implementing a licensing solution is not in effect, developers will have to accept this as reality and offer a product worth owning.

eznark

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
You know, people saying developers should make games worth owning...that's not a bad point. The problem though, is that that point can also be applied to pirated titles.

In the same way though, I agree that, like piracy, this is something developers need to deal with. If implementing a licensing solution is not in effect, developers will have to accept this as reality and offer a product worth owning.

I think it should apply to piracy. Games that have excellent multiplayer or are constantly updated and patched with new content are less likely to be pirated. Make the game worth buying and people will buy it.

Not only will people buy it but they will greatly appreciate not being treated like criminals. Sins of a Solar Empire is a poster child for this approach.

Pellham

Banned
Alaluef said:
Some crazy ass people in this thread. I hope that you guys who are advocating this shit don't lend your games to friends or relatives and when there's a multiplayer session at your houses you make sure everyone bought a copy of the game, otherwise it's piracy and babies will die of hunger.

:lol it's all the butt hurt developers working for companies with thin profit margins/deep in the red. how about this, developers, make some games that don't suck and maybe we'll care about your pathetic cries for draconian laws.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Pellham said:
:lol it's all the butt hurt developers working for companies with thin profit margins/deep in the red. how about this, developers, make some games that don't suck and maybe we'll care about your pathetic cries for draconian laws.

I suspect this law was pushed by publishers, not developers.

wow, so rental places dont actually have a special thing setup for game rentals? I always figured they had permission and the devs got a small cut if their game was rented. Wow no wonder they dont like it.

Pellham

Banned
Campster said:
I suspect this law was pushed by publishers, not developers.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the people on gaf who support it. They are more likely to be developers not publishers. (just realized i didn't state it so in my post, but it should have been obvious based on what i was replying to)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stumpokapow said:
you said game rentals will hurt or kill the industry.

we pointed out this isn't true for books or music and it won't be true here.

you said the difference is the budget, because books and music are low budget and games are high budget.

we pointed out that this isn't true, and that this line of thinking does not lead to banning game rentals, it leads to banning rentals by budget.

... you ignored this argument twice.

... you also ignored the fact that government should not punish one industry to reward another

... you also ignored the fact that right of resale / first sale doctrine is pretty much a fundamental of market capitalism.

I agree the right to resale is fundamental. But nothing is stopping you from reselling or trading games in this law as far as I read. It simply disallows rentals.

And games are different from books and music and movies because 3 or 5 years later you still watch the movie, or reread a book, but you dont play the vast majority of your games save 1 or 2 if that. A game is a 1-2 time experience for the most part, but I have CD songs that I must have listened to dozens if not close to 100 times over the past 10-15 years. Sure you can argue that Mario Kart or Madden or FIFA can be played for 100 games over and over, but that's why I said most games, especially single player games, or those whose online servers are gone ofline (as EA tends to turn off online servers 1-2 years after game release).

But overall I agree that this law is a little out of bounds. It is protectionist and goes against commercial norms and expectations of average people. And their same argument can be easily applied to movies yet those don't seem to be part of this.

This is only going to get worse, as budgets rise games get shorter and thus renting becomes a likely action for far more people and the developers lose out on sales. The industry has backed itself into a corner with its focus on increasing technology.

Danielsan

Tain said:
When you put it like that someone sharing his game with all his online friends via bittorrent is alright as well.

It's about scale and the fact that money is being made of which the developers see no return.

Tarin02543

Yep, didn't see that one coming. I'm making a list of video rental shops around here in Bruges, hopefully I'll be able to buy some great games for low dumping prices.

Damian

Darunia said:
the one good thing that came out of this is that I never have to visit a game mania store again

Where do you buy your games then? Gamemania is about the only store I know that offers so many different games. (Living near Ghent btw)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Danielsan said:
When you put it like that someone sharing his game with all his online friends via bittorrent is alright as well.

It's about scale and the fact that money is being made of which the developers see no return.

So? They already received payment for their work on the original purchase. Why are they entitled to payment every time a game changes ownership?

I understand that we are on a video game message board, but I don't get how some people (not necessarily you, Danielsan) can parse out the video game industry as some sacred and holy entity that should be separated from other industries with a used/rental market. I could almost understand if a person was entirely against the idea of second-hand markets for everything, and felt that the doctrine of first sale was a load of shit that stole food off of every single impacted industry's table. But I just do not understand why the video game industry is a sacred cow. I don't get it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mre said:
So? They already received payment for their work on the original purchase. Why are they entitled to payment every time a game changes ownership?

I understand that we are on a video game message board, but I don't get how some people (not necessarily you, Danielsan) can parse out the video game industry as some sacred and holy entity that should be separated from other industries with a used/rental market. I could almost understand if a person was entirely against the idea of second-hand markets for everything, and felt that the doctrine of first sale was a load of shit that stole food off of every single impacted industry's table. But I just do not understand why the video game industry is a sacred cow. I don't get it.

I agree with you. If I can sell my Cds and DVDs then let me sell my games. I can see the issue with renting games, especially something that can be finished in a few days (the standard rental period), but resale and trade is the reason why I buy games on disc.

I think part of the reason people differentiate the game industry is because it is slightly different from other media industries. With music, you have CDs, concerts and merchandise as revenue streams, and CDs can sell for years after their initial release and concerts can go on forever for better bands. And thats without having new songs... With movies, you have theater revenue, and DVD sales and Bluray and special editions with double dipping and anniversary editions and again a tail of revenue, without any additional effort from the actors, director, producer....

With games, you have one shot to sell your game, at release, and if you have not sold well in the first few months, you are more often that not doomed as technology advances and your game is more and more antiquated. Also, there are no additional revenue streams, theres no re-releases on the 10th anniversary, there are no special editions a year later with more extras, there are no concerts, or merchandise years down the road. You need a new Madden every year, you need a new Call of Duty, and new Halo and a new Final Fantasy to keep the money flowing and keep the gamers satisfied. ANd that's additional work and time and investment.

That is why I think people want games to sell well for the benefit of developers, so they continue doing what we like them to do. Few, if any, developers make the big bucks like artists or actors do, instead its the publishers who seem to be raking it in. When is the last time you saw a game developer's mega-mansion or luxury car fleet on MTV's Cribs? vs a band member's house? or an athlete? or actor?

Sure we have Wii and the VC, or stupid ports on PSN and Live with no enhancements, but what kind of revenue do those bring in compared to a full title? Some of the best selling games on Live sell less than 100,000 copies. At a few bucks each, that's paltry compared to the money a re-release of Star Wars on Blu-ray or a reunion concert by the Police can bring in.

Husker86

eznark said:
That's the point. It isn't up to society to make your business profitable. It's up to you to create a business model that can operate efficiently given the environment.

...and they are trying to alter that business model so it seems. So they are doing what you say they need to do, but you're getting pissed at them for that.

I can't believe how selfish people are, you do not need to be invested in a company to understand that sometimes they need to make changes that might not be for the better for the consumer. It sucks, but sometimes it needs to happen (I'm not so sure this is one of those cases that -needs- to happen).

Anyway, anyone who hasn't figured out that it's all about the $$$ yet is a lost cause, I don't rent so I guess I take this news more lightly than others but I can see where the "big bad guys" are coming from.

eznark

Banned
Husker86 said:
...and they are trying to alter that business model so it seems. So they are doing what you say they need to do, but you're getting pissed at them for that.

I can't believe how selfish people are, you do not need to be invested in a company to understand that sometimes they need to make changes that might not be for the better for the consumer. It sucks, but sometimes it needs to happen (I'm not so sure this is one of those cases that -needs- to happen).

Anyway, anyone who hasn't figured out that it's all about the $$$ yet is a lost cause, I don't rent so I guess I take this news more lightly than others but I can see where the "big bad guys" are coming from.

How is getting a government ban changing their business model?

verenigdkoninkrijk.jpg

DO IT!
again

Xapati

Considering the fact that gaming as a business is doing fine in the US (where renting is much more popular than in Europe) and is in fact flourishing like never before pretty much proves that renting does no harm to the industry. Anybody who thinks banning renting or banninng the sale of used games is a good idea; is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and probably is happy about 60$ games and extreme DRM as well.

That is why I think people want games to sell well for the benefit of developers, so they continue doing what we like them to do. Few, if any, developers make the big bucks like artists or actors do, instead its the publishers who seem to be raking it in. When is the last time you saw a game developer's mega-mansion or luxury car fleet on MTV's Cribs? vs a band member's house? or an athlete? or actor?
I tried asking CliffyB this question, but the reception on his solid gold telephone was bad.

WinFonda

Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you were to ban game rentals, you're also then taking away a lot of people's reasons to own a console in the first place. Consoles are a type of affordable entertainment and renting games is a huge part of that affordability. If it were to become such an expensive hobby that you had to buy every single activity you wished to enjoy on it, you better believe the sales of the consoles would go down. So now the publishers would have an increasingly smaller slice of the pie to pitch their full priced games to, and again I think the net result is fewer copies sold. You gotta think big picture when you talk about axing rentals. There may be a lot of other unintended consequences.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Large the stupidity in this thread is.
Look if a ton of people want to rent a game, you know what the rental store will do? BUY MORE COPIES.

This in no way shape or form hurts the gaming industry. The gaming industry tried to lobby for it, but got shut down here. Japan wasn't so lucky & look at them now.
Look at the N. American game sales vs Japanese sales. Gaming thrives in America, variety & even smaller niches, but it is all but borked in Japan.

RJT said:
WTF is the confusion here? Have you ever read a user license for any copyrighted material? Of course you can't rent it, unless you get a special permission.

Just because a user liscense statement says someting does not make it legal or binding. If you payed for a game and then they showed up at your door and pointed out language in the "agreement" that said "by installing this software you agree to give us your car and house." would you turn them over? Of course not. It is legal for them to say that, and to get houses and cars from people that don't know better, but they could never get a judge to make you turn over your house and car. They cannot punish you for selling your game to a friend, even if the "agreement" said you "can't" do that. It is tricky because it is not illegal for them to put a lot of crap into the agreements hoping people will believe it and go along. They just hope most people do not know a lot of it is legally invalid. Of course this could depend on the country, I am talking USA.

TheExodu5

Banned
Xapati said:
Considering the fact that gaming as a business is doing fine in the US (where renting is much more popular than in Europe) and is in fact flourishing like never before pretty much proves that renting does no harm to the industry. Anybody who thinks banning renting or banninng the sale of used games is a good idea; is suffering from Stockholm Syndrome and probably is happy about 60$ games and extreme DRM as well.

How does it prove it?

meppi

Damian said:
Where do you buy your games then? Gamemania is about the only store I know that offers so many different games. (Living near Ghent btw)

I haven't been in a Game Mania in over 2 years and I've saved so much money that way.

Now I only buy my games from Media Markt (Oostakker) which are much cheaper most of the time, and from British online stores which do crazy deals most of the time. (play, blahdvd, thehut)

Ganhyun

In the past, companies paid a high, flat fee for umlimited use of the video/dvd/game for the life of the product. From my understanding this is still done.

But other methods such as paying a percentage of the rental profits to the studio/publisher have been heard of too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damian said:

GM is really expensive when it comes to new games on any platform. I go to Mediamarkt for new games. If a 360 game is region free I order it from VGplus. Same goes for any DS game. For used games I go to the boards of 9lives to get them cheap. Even those can be pretty damn expensive at GM.

In general, you pay too much for anything you get there.

There's really no argument to be had here. This is bullshit protectionism, plain and simple: an industry that sells a luxury good is upset that their business model isn't good enough, and asking for government intervention to drive out the other businesses that take advantage of the gap (and the universal protections for end users that copyright and trademark law include) to make their own money.

As long as the game industry keeps cutting its throat with upward-spiralling costs and rising prices, it's going to need more and more shit like this because its business model sucks. Instead of getting helpful legislation, these publishers should be left to twist in the wind so that maybe, just maybe, they'll spend some money on developing a better business model that isn't threatened by totally reasonable things like resale and rental.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AndyD said:
I agree the right to resale is fundamental. But nothing is stopping you from reselling or trading games in this law as far as I read. It simply disallows rentals.

It ends up being the same thing on a moral/principle level even if it seems different on a practical level. Right to resale is derived from the idea that the original producer's rights to his/her product ends when you buy it. There's no moral way to argue for resale and not rentals.

And games are different from books and music and movies because 3 or 5 years later you still watch the movie, or reread a book, but you dont play the vast majority of your games save 1 or 2 if that. A game is a 1-2 time experience for the most part, but I have CD songs that I must have listened to dozens if not close to 100 times over the past 10-15 years. Sure you can argue that Mario Kart or Madden or FIFA can be played for 100 games over and over, but that's why I said most games, especially single player games, or those whose online servers are gone ofline (as EA tends to turn off online servers 1-2 years after game release).

I agree with what you're saying here, but I should note that I replay most games in my collection more than I rewatch books or movies. Of course, the law shouldn't legislate based on "replay value". If we were legislating replay value, again, it would lead to a situation where some books, movies, and games were banned from rental while others were not.

If companies want to take advantage of the fact that high replay value games last longer, don't get traded in as much, retain value, etc... then that's their prerogative. If not, they can accept the consequences. Every developer knows the impacts of replayable games on sales patterns, and every publisher who subscribes to sales tracking services can see this trivially.

Linkified

I would of thought by now the games industry would of adopted the same policy as the the film industry where you create a disk just for rental use. Then they can negotiate fees based purely on that disk.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FTWer said:
Large the stupidity in this thread is.
Look if a ton of people want to rent a game, you know what the rental store will do? BUY MORE COPIES.
Really? I just remember the stores giving out something for a free future rental or some discount if the game you wanted that was just released was rented out.
They aren't going to buy more copies because when the game becomes less popular they would have unmoving product which just wastes space.
Some do sell rentals as used later, but still that doesn't necessarily mean they will buy more copies.
Renting I find to be an unfulfilling process and a waste of my money so I don't do it anyway. I can see why people would want to but I haven't been crying about living somewhere where you can't rent.

Damian said:
I have a credit card so I can buy them online. Online shops like play.com work with cheaper prices (49-56 euro for new PS3/X360 releases) and have a bigger library of games available. The second hand games are overpriced and the benefits of your gamemania customer card aren't that great either.

Kobayashi

eXistor said:
I work at Game Mania (in the Netherlands) and I've known this for ages. I thought it was old news? I don't think they've made a big secret out of it as far as I know.

Nope, nothing new here... Very strange this topic is all over the news now.

(Typisch Belgisch misschien, wij zijn altijd iets trager van begrip ;-))

meppi

The old Game Nations, now that were some great stores in the day. Especially the ones in Sint-Niklaas, Antwerpen and Mechelen.

Some really great people worked there as well, extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

Mr YuYu

Darunia said:
GM is really expensive when it comes to new games on any platform. I go to Mediamarkt for new games. If a 360 game is region free I order it from VGplus. Same goes for any DS game. For used games I go to the boards of 9lives to get them cheap. Even those can be pretty damn expensive at GM.

In general, you pay too much for anything you get there.

Altough game mania is really overpriced u can find some gems in the used section.

Recently found dark chronicle and dark cloud for like 10 euro each.

But yeah, in general those tradingforums are much better.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Dascu said:
Over mijn lijk.
damn your language crazy. why are those 'j's there? those 'i's are sufficient. That's just trying too hard to be eccentric. :\

Top Bottom