• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF? Vita has a 100 application/game limit?

Joni

That is a stupid limit considering all the mandatory apps. They should give the option to delete stuff like Welcome Park.

I know you're joking, but there are several people with this problem. I have well over a hundred with Vita retail, downloadable, minis, PSP, and PS1, but I have them spread over two 16gb cards so it's not a problem for me.

Yeah, if I downloaded all the stuff I wanted to, on my download list etc, and kept it, I'd probably be close too.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
You know what else sucks? Correct me if I'm wrong but deleting a game also deletes save files. Lame...

You mean like on iPhone?

Back up to PC first or do PS Plus cloud transfers next time. It's lame but there's ways around it.

I can't defend the 100 limit though, but you could always start working through your backlog...

I'm impressed that you managed to fit 100 items on a 32GB card. I'm at around 70 apps/games and only have like 2-3 GBs of free space left.

Luigiv

The 3DS one keeps expanding by 60 when space is running out to accommodate all of your programs. I don't think it has a hard, arbitrary limit.

It does. 300. Though that's not including folders. Theoretically there should be space for 18000 with folders but that's assuming there's no arbrary limit on the total icon count.

It does. 300. Though that's not including folders. Theoretically there should be space for 18000 with folders but that's assuming there's no arbrary limit on the total icon count.
Do DSi or Wii U have hard limits? I can't seem to find specific info on either.

Ponn

Banned
Vita owners with more than 100 applications, that must be a very vocal minority.

Not really. My screens are almost filled up but unfortunately those FF games are pretty big and I have a couple Vita games over 3 gigs and more sitting at 2 gigs.

Again I don't think this is a simple matter of just adding folders, especially those using 3DS as their basis of comparison. You can suspend any app on the Vita access your other apps and have multiple apps going with your entire OS visible and accessible. This may be a hard limit set for what the internal ram can handle all at once. It's not just a space issue with your memory card or deleting items.

They should probably let you delete Welcome Park. And all those other useless apps you wouldn't use.
Yes. Or at least let us toss them all into one folder so they only take up one bubble all together. Clogging up a whole screen of my precious Vita real estate!

VanWinkle

I'm impressed that you managed to fit 100 items on a 32GB card. I'm at around 70 apps/games and only have like 2-3 GBs of free space left.

Just depends on what you have. I have eight pages filled (80 icons) on my 16gb card before I ran out of space and had to start on another 16gb.

Vita owners with more than 100 applications, that must be a very vocal minority.

Well, let's see, you take out about 20 icons installed by the system, and that makes 80 icons for you to fill. You really think you can't find 80 apps/Vita retail/Vita downloadable/minis/PS Mobile/PS1 Classics/PSP games on there over the course of a year? Especially if you had previously built up some of your PSP/PS1/minis library before that.

You know what else sucks? Correct me if I'm wrong but deleting a game also deletes save files. Lame...

I do hate that, but PS+ alleviates that, and you can back up your saves without PS+. Still something they need to separate.

how much icons can 3ds hold including folders?

But wait, 3ds saves are at least on the cart. Vita retail game saves are also in the little circle bubbles right?

Sony really did give zero shit about vita :S

Toki767

But wait, 3ds saves are at least on the cart. Vita retail game saves are also in the little circle bubbles right?

It's all a ploy to get you to subscribe to PS+ for proper Vita saves.

300 icons, 60 items per icon (if you use a folder).

That's 18,000 altogether.

KalBalboa

Banned
Well, let's see, you take out about 20 icons installed by the system, and that makes 80 icons for you to fill.

I don't think the OS "requires" 20 icons. It's probably closer to five to ten. (EDIT: Turns out I'm wrong)

I kind of snicker at the entire 100 icon limit being juxtaposed against "Vita has no gamez."

VanWinkle

I don't think the OS "requires" 20 icons. It's probably closer to five to ten.

I kind of snicker at the entire 100 icon limit being juxtaposed against "Vita has no gamez."

Videos, Party, Music, PS Store, Friends, Content Manager, Trophies, Browser, Group Messaging, near, Email, Network Operator, Maps, Photos, Settings, Remote Play, Welcome Park. So 16, or 17 if you have 3G.

So even pre update, 3ds had 300 icons? Never knew. Crazy. Wonder how much can fit on an iphone 5.

i think it's 20 apps per page, and like 11 pages max. 16 apps can be in a folder, so 3520.

KalBalboa

Banned
Videos, Party, Music, PS Store, Friends, Content Manager, Trophies, Browser, Group Messaging, near, Email, Network Operator, Maps, Photos, Settings, Remote Play, Welcome Park. So 16, or 17 if you have 3G.

I stand corrected. I have a wifi Vita (and love it). I was wrong assuming it was so low.

I guess I don't think I'll hit that 100 limit soon, though, even with my 32 gig.

Huh, I don't have that on my Vita. What is it? EDIT: Oh, duh, must be for 3G Vitas.

Also, I was pretty annoyed when the firmware update forced the Email app on us. I didn't want it, don't like it and resent that usage of one of my bubble slots!

Skilletor

Yeah, this is extremely stupid. Couple this with the fact that your icons completely rearrange each time you swap cards and it's a major inconvenience. Shit needs to be fixed quickly.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I thought this was a well known thing? 10 page limit was widely talked about during Jpn launch last year.

I second the icon arranging being a pain in general - it's hardly Vita exclusive though (all touch devices suck for this, universally) - but Apple at least has a workaround by letting you arrange icons in iTunes, with a dramatically more usable interface on PC/Mac.
There should be no reason why Vita can't do this either - hell make it a Move PS3 app if you must - being able to sync layout on other devices would also solve the issues with card-switching.

Valnen

Vita has more than 100 games?

Hope they fix this, sucks seeing this amazing hardware run into more and more issues.

Valnen

yeps.. one of the reasons I hate Live Gold.

and why would they make a 100 apps limit..? that doesn´t make sense in any way..?

It's probably something they thought they could sneakily patch out before anyone would notice, I think. Maybe.

totowhoa

Banned
Yeah, I know they'll fix this with folders eventually... they'll have to. PSN+ members that obsessively download every free thing (such as myself) will be particularly prone to having issues after the service has been on Vita for a year.

Tenki

The Vita needs folders like the 3DS.

d7hys.jpg-153o7l.jpg

I always found this restriction hilarious, and rather alarmingly baffling. Coupled with the fact that the Vita marries your save file to the game (unless you use a cart, in which case save data takes up a bubble separately from the cart :/), this is uncharacteristically archaic and short sighted on Sony's part. When I consider that 3DS had a better file management system to begin with (300 file display limit that was increased to 18,000 with folders update; also, I might be wrong, but I think 3DS handles save data for its digital games separately from the actual games themselves, meaning deleting the game should not delete the save data), I begin to womder WTF Sony was up to, to make such a simple usability oversight such as this.

Thankfully, this is nothing that cannot be replaced by a future firmware update and in fact I expect the ext major one to at least increase the icon limit, and maybe even give us folders, but it is not an issue that should have existed to begin with.

its more dumb that they just dont have folders. Almost every other device does, it just seems so obvious.

The saves is anoying if you dont have plus but all I did is back up the app if I wanted to remove it (can do this to PS3 or PC). Then if you want it again just restore it as the save is backed up with it. Have to do the same thing with physical games as well but seeing as the bubble only contains the save data its only a small file.

Its not perfect and still silly considering the PS+ servers shows they can easily extract the save file to be backed up if needed. However isn't it something to do with piracy protection due to what happened on PSP? Think I remember hearing that somewhere.

Top Bottom