• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

giga

Giga's OT:
aWlgGX4.png

B9XMX62.png

Software
- iOS 11
- macOS 10.13
- watchOS 4
- tvOS 11

Hardware
- Macbook Pro refresh
- Macbook refresh
- iPad Pro refresh

rCJm8b3.png

- desktop Macs
- iPhones
- a new Watch
- a car

NHQOPZM.png

"Siri Speaker"

WwCR5NC.png

When: June 5, 1PM EDT
Streaming: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2017/ (Safari, Edge, and Apple TV)
Liveblog: https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/live-blog-apples-wwdc-2017-starts-june-5-at-1pm-et10am-pt/
Full Schedule: https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedule/

t1496682000z1.png

Celebi's OT:

Th6RpsN.gif

er18izx.jpg

2bvqZgn.png

• Web Site: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/
  • Where: McEnery Convention Center - San Jose, CA
  • Dates: June 5th thru June 9th, 2017
  • Events: Keynote, Apple Design Awards, Workshops, Stump the Experts, WWDC Bash, Lunchtime Speakers
  • Purpose: Apple held conference to provide developers and IT professionals with in-depth technical information and hands-on learning about the powerful technologies in iOS, macOS and watchOS.

oIpd4K3.png

Ld6BWRv.png

aqU6qiz.png

Like the last few Apple events, they will be broadcasting it live. It will also be available to watch again on Apple's Web site hours after the event has ended. The places that you can watch the video (again a few hours after the keynote has ended):
Text/Photos
Currently updating this section with new links

(If you find other live blogs, please feel free to post the urls)

WWDC App:

Unofficial WWDC app for macOS

WWDC for macOS

dY5tneg.png

CKJzisn.png

5BsGO1Z.png

• Will be updated after the keynote has finished

TuqOEvY.png

Special thanks to Andrex for the header images!

ZzTUzID.png

NOTE: I'm posting this a little bit early as I won't be getting home until very late tonight. I hope that it's ok.

In for at least one Siri speaker if it's ~$250.

There's not really a lot I want from iOS 11 tbh.

Watch is needs more hardware improvements than software at the moment.

Majine

Banned
Watch is needs more hardware improvements than software at the moment.

True, it does need hardware but there's still lots they can do on software.

If they are serious about this, they should put more pressure on developers to update to newer APIs. Many developers made a Watch app when the thing was released, and they essentially checked that box and moved on to other stuff. That there are still so many WatchOS 1 apps is holding them back.

If they are serious about this, they should put more pressure on developers to update to newer APIs. Many developers made a Watch app when the thing was released, and they essentially checked that box and moved on to other stuff. That there are still so many WatchOS 1 apps is holding them back.

Yea. I wish apple would cull non-updated apps. Tired of seeing apps/games from 2015 like it ain't shit.

I really hope they show an update to the iMac (I know rumors point to laptops only). I've been on the market for one for a while now and I'm getting tired of waiting :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's almost here! I really hope they spent the last year stepping up their game with iOS 11 and maybe macOS. But I'll take whatever.

Aleh

Hopefully the iOS 11 redesign will finally feature a dark mode considering the OLED phone coming later this year

Aleh

people really expecting a big refresh of iOS?

It's not that far fetched in my opinion, they're gonna have to adapt it to the different screen ratio of the iPhone 8, which also allegedly has an unusual shape at the top and no physical home button etc. As it is right now, iOS wouldn't fit it well. And they usually try maintain design consistency which means we should still get some clues in the preview.

kaskade

I'm really excited to see what iOS11 has to offer. We don't seem to know much about it at this point. There's probably going to be some stuff left out depending which what the design of the iPhone 8 goes.

Just let me control spotify with Siri please.

EmiPrime

I'm in for a new Apple Watch and a 4K Apple TV but there's a <1% chance of either of them being there.

Hoping for iOS to finally have notifications that aren't utterly wretched and a better way of working with files. I can't think of anything I want for Mac now that the new file system is a thing. Better implementation of dark mode I guess? I have given up on iTunes.

Majine

Banned
There's been very few rumours about iOS 11 compared to usual, so that could signal that Apple's got some big things under tighter wraps than usual.

Or it could mean nothing.

I hope and think it's the former.

It's the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone this year.

jstripes

Banned
I hope and think it's the former.

It's the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone this year.

Steve Jobs historically couldn't care less about major anniversaries of products, he was against even having a museum on campus, so let's see if Tim Cook is different.

Majine

Banned
Steve Jobs historically couldn't care less about major anniversaries of products, he was against even having a museum on campus, so let's see if Tim Cook is different.

Tim Cook made a big deal out of last year being the 25th anniversary of Apple Notebooks, which pretty much no one else kept track of.

Somnid

What improvements do you guys want to see iOS 11 bring to the iPad Pros?

Improve the garbage Apple Pencil support. It should be much more like Windows, ink support everywhere. Also if they are doing an iPad refresh I'd like to see a better stylus with an eraser (that's backwards compatible).

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the 12" MacBook and also the supposed Air update.

Curious about the Siri Speaker, can't see myself replacing my Echo tbh.

Fuchsdh

I don't really think so. A lot of people made Watch apps because "hey it's a new platform, let's do it and see what happens", not because they were good apps on the Watch or it made much sense (really the only surprising loss in the Watch app department has been Google Maps.)

Either way the Watch seems to be on a slower hardware cycle so we'll see a new one in early 2018 more likely than not.

Hopefully the iOS 11 redesign will finally feature a dark mode considering the OLED phone coming later this year
yeah I think that's guaranteed. It was even in ios10 I believe in the code. There were pics. Probably a much more refined version of those pics will be in this one.

Is there a good summary of what he has posted? Any new info we learned or is it pretty much what we already know?

They mention they haven't seen a lot since Chinese New year (end of Jan)

Apple glasses project delayed (2018/2019 may be cancelled)
- Rough bill of materials of Project Mirrorshades - Apple Iris: Kopin NED Acetate frame Polarisized or prescription lens with Zeiss smart optics Bone induction modules Microphones (noise cancellation) Light sensor Accelerometer for step tracking and head movement app navigation Magnetometer for navigation Capacitive Pavel Ceramic battery Apple chipset Charging circuit BL5 Induction module.
- Microphone for voice, accelerator meter and magnetometer for steps could be used for apps like tinder, nod for yes, shake for no, small capacitive strip on arm for accept calls, volume functions.
- We only saw transparent reader lens but I understand they can procure polarised or prescription lenses
- Cellulose acetate Injection mold frames into an aluminum mold. Colors are added and tumbled for finish.
- P3 frame design
- Two sizes, men's and woman's
- BOM would indicate around $600 mark.
- Very unique design, if it can be done properly will be like what the iphone did 10 years ago.

MacBooks
- 2017 MacBooks: updated SOC but no much changes. Air will be discontinued. 32GB RAM for 15 inch.
- 2018 MacBooks: smart any key technology. Function row is OLED touchbar: remaining keys are e-paper smart keys. Tests on updated design language. More glass and dark black body. Reintroduce white apple light.
- 2018 MacBooks: Foxconn JV with startup; keyboard with e-paper display embedded in new keyboard. Testing of two e-paper technologies; E-ink in black and white and color, other a color Qualcomm display (cancelled due to IP dispute).

Siri Speaker:
- A modified A9 chip
- Same shape as Mac Pro but smaller. We have no seen design since Chinese Lunar Year; long time ago.
- "We tested three designs, one design without camera, without screen." Says final version will not have camera or screen

iPhones
- "We saw test units with fingerprint scanners mounted below the glass but performance and yield rates were not good. I've seen reports of a rear fingerprint scanner which I haven't seen; our team thinks the previous design + camera authentication is more likely given our intelligence."
- EVT did have Touch ID but not capacitive unit. Instead in manufacturing it was bonded to glass substrate. There was issues but this was the original design.
- TouchID is under screen.
- Face recognition through front facing camera modules.
- Water resistant
- Wireless charging
- Lightning not USB C as reported.
- new battery charging chipset from TI.
- No wireless charging for 7s.

iMac
- SOC update for 2017; incremental update.
- The full hardware design + smart keys are delayed to 2018.

I really hope they make the iPad a bit more pro on the OS side. Better filesystem support in iCloud Drive. I hope Siri's contextual conversation abilities are massively improved, and I'd like to see the Siri API opened up to all 3rd-party apps.

I'd also like to see massive QoL improvements to Xcode. As a code editor it's way behind the times, and it's very slow.

Top Bottom