• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC 2017 |OT| iOS 11, macOS 10.13, watchOS 4 & tvOS 11

subrock

The location of "Pay with Touch ID" makes me hopeful that the fingerprint scanner will be embedded under the screen for the iPhone 8.

That's actually something that made my girlfriend "Apple pay doesn't work on my phone". She was trying to put her thumb on the red Touch ID icon

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Same thing happened to me. I'm assuming I need to be on 10.3.3 before I can go to 11
Trying it again now. It doesn't specify anything on the page where you download and install the profile. No indication of iOS 10 or 11 individually.

Either way, I did the exact same thing this time and now it's getting iOS 11. So I'm sure it does need to be 10.3.3 first. Either way, downloading. I cannot wait. Anyone have it installed yet?

Deku Tree

I'm gonna go iOS11 PB right away on my iPad Pro 10.5 whenever it arrives. Then I'm gonna get off the PB train as soon as iOS11 goes out of beta.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm gonna go iOS11 PB right away on my iPad Pro 10.5 whenever it arrives. Then I'm gonna get off the PB train as soon as iOS11 goes out of beta.
I was telling myself this too. I was on iOS 10 beta the whole way until I got my 7+ which I never bothered to update. I was gonna just go to iOS 11 beta and only do it for 11.0 until release.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Found a few bugs right off the bat.

The Calendar app icon had no date on it. It was just a blank white icon. I rebooted and that fixed it.

At one point I couldn't close an app from the switcher. I had App Store and Clock open. Tried to close App Store and it went off screen but wouldn't quit. When I exited out it was still open. Closed the clock first then tried again and it still wouldn't close. Fixed itself though. But then it came back. App Switcher is kind of buggy right now anyway.

But on a lighter note, some new stuff. Some I like. Some I don't get.

First off, remember for the longest time I would complain that I couldn't check the current time left on a timer without either locking and viewing the lock screen to see it or opening the Clock app itself. Now with the new Notification Center being a lock screen (To some peoples chagrin) it shows the time left right there now. Providing they don't remove it, it'll be very useful. I'm kind of happy right now.

Second, now that the clock itself is on the slide down NC panel, there is no clock on the widget screen anymore. Unless you view the widgets from the NC or lock screen and not from the home screen. It used to at least show you the date there. Maybe I'm wrong and it was never in that specific spot?

I don't really like the new calculator icon. I liked when it was a grid of 4 buttons.

iTunes Store icon is a star. I don't get it. I understand not making it a music note but a star?

I don't like the huge radius of UI stuff now. Especially in Control Center.

The fade in effect of the lock screen when you press Power is really neat. When you unlock and go to the Home screen it slides up as if they're trying to say "Your lock screen is always there lingering a swipe away when you want it. Don't worry it's not disappearing. You can get to it easily." I know some people will hate it, I don't kind of hate it at all.

There's a "Shut down" button in Settings > General. Possibly preparing for iPhone 8 completely changing how you interact with the phone.

Also, I really really am soooo happy Bars are back. I always hated the Circles. They were clunky and ugly and made no sense and went against standards. So now we have bars again. There's only 4 of them now but I like that it's 4. They look so good. And take up so much less space.

//ARCANUM

Well I installed the iOS 11 beta on my iPad Pro 10.5" and of course the #1 app I need for work (JIRA) crashes on launch. Tried and delete and reinstall. :(

Now to decide if I wait it out and use the web interface and hope they update the app soon or if I roll back. ..... we can roll back right?

Deku Tree

Well I installed the iOS 11 beta on my iPad Pro 10.5" and of course the #1 app I need for work (JIRA) crashes on launch. Tried and delete and reinstall. :(

Now to decide if I wait it out and use the web interface and hope they update the app soon or if I roll back. ..... we can roll back right?

You can install a backup. But you can't roll back.

Enzom21

That's actually something that made my girlfriend "Apple pay doesn't work on my phone". She was trying to put her thumb on the red Touch ID icon
An old women I used to work with would always try to press the Touch ID on the screen so having it embedded would be perfect for some people.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282
Q6Cmjcr.png
You can also edit the plist of your backup to use it on an older iOS version.

//ARCANUM

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What if I didn't make an archived backup on my Mac? I just have an iCloud backup...
Be careful because iCloud could overwrite that at any point with the new one.

If you still have your old iOS 10 backup on your Mac, open iTunes and archive it ASAP so it doesn't get replaced.

Backups also only backup data. The OS would need to be force restored from an old .ipsw file if that even works anymore.

Just installed. Seems great so far. Haven’t dug in too deeply.
I’m always just worried about battery life with these. Anyone notice any battery life changes for the worse?

By the way , swiping down to select special characters is a godsend.

What if I didn't make an archived backup on my Mac? I just have an iCloud backup...

Be careful because iCloud could overwrite that at any point with the new one.

If you still have your old iOS 10 backup on your Mac, open iTunes and archive it ASAP so it doesn't get replaced.

Backups also only backup data. The OS would need to be force restored from an old .ipsw file if that even works anymore.

iCloud keeps the three most recent backups per device, so as long as it hasn’t been three days you should be fine

hirokazu

Also, I really really am soooo happy Bars are back. I always hated the Circles. They were clunky and ugly and made no sense and went against standards. So now we have bars again. There's only 4 of them now but I like that it's 4. They look so good. And take up so much less space.
What are we talking about here? Bars? Circles?

I’m always just worried about battery life with these. Anyone notice any battery life changes for the worse?

Yeah, battery life has taken a major hit on both my iPhone 7 Plus and my iPad Air 2. But early betas always do.

Fahro

Updated to iOS beta on my 10.5 pro. Everything seems to be fine but the battery life. It is a beta, after all.

I assumed that you could download files with safari because of the new files app but it doesn't work.

Is there a way to download videos for example from gamersyde?

Maybe with a different browser?

Guess Who

Banned
Updated to iOS beta on my 10.5 pro. Everything seems to be fine but the battery life. It is a beta, after all.

I assumed that you could download files with safari because of the new files app but it doesn't work.

Is there a way to download videos for example from gamersyde?

Maybe with a different browser?

You can download files, but because of the tremendously stupid-ass way file-saving works in iOS Safari due to the lack of any download management, it is very unintuitive how to do so.

The first thing is that filetypes that Safari actually plays can't be downloaded. So, MP4 videos? Nope, no can do. It just plays in the browser with no option to download. You can only download files that Safari can't open (except PDFs, which can be saved to iBooks).

So try to download, say, a ZIP file in Safari. Do you get any sort of download UI? Nope. Instead, the progress indicator in the address bar just displays for a while without really indicating how far the download is going, until eventually the download finishes. Then you can save it to iCloud Drive, or open the file in an app on your iPad that supports it (for instance, one thing I did years ago is download CBR files and open them in a comic reader app).

jts

...hate me...
iCab browser should have more options to download stuff, worth having a look at. Was a very valuable companion app when I used an iPad (although I did my actual browsing on Safari).

Vuze

Yeah, that’s a fantastic change. I use it on a daily basis and it works incredibly well.

E: Is it impossible to swipe back when Safari is in floating mode? Can’t get it to work.

iCab browser should have more options to download stuff, worth having a look at. Was a very valuable companion app when I used an iPad (although I did my actual browsing on Safari).

Dont think theres a way to download files into the Files app with iCab yet.

epmode

Found a relatively big problem for me in Safari on an iPad:

I can no longer open the m.neogaf.com links to the last page of a thread in a new tab. You know how iOS 11 now allows you to drag links into other apps? It looks like it’s interfering with my ability to hold my finger on one of those arrows so the New Tab prompt never appears. It only works if I press on the thread itself, not the arrow that brings me to the last page of the thread.

Those arrows never worked properly in the mobile site; You had to hold in a very specific area for it to work in iOS 10 but the new functionality really broke them.

Wow, this is mad buggy on my SE. Overall it’s solid I’d say until I navigate the UI (app management, trying to use third party extensions, etc.).

Top Bottom