• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

As someone who hasn't owned a wrestling game since one of the original Smackdowns for 360, will this offer me anything? Haven't watched wrestling in ~9 years, but I was into it early in college and I still usually like wrestling games.. plus I really loved 80s/90s/early 2000s wrestling.

If it were on sale, on digital, I'd pick it up.

Reading the post above about breaking Undertaker's WM streak and having the lights go out (described as bull shit in the post) is something that sounds AWESOME. I was figuring he'd just be super human ... but if the lights went out and I ended up in a coffin or something for no reason, I'd laugh hard.

Any other impressions of the actual gameplay? How would it be for someone coming from not playign for a while, who also generally wouldn't have many friends to play with (I doubt any of my friend would get this for $60. $20, sure, but not $60)

I caved in and bought it yesterday. Id say its worth it for 30 years of WM alone.

I think next year, 2k will really have their imprint on this game. Next gen offerings should work on smoothing out the animation, and of course improving the graphics. :)

I caved in and bought it yesterday. Id say its worth it for 30 years of WM alone.

I think next year, 2k will really have their imprint on this game. Next gen offerings should work on smoothing out the animation, and of course improving the graphics. :)

It is early yet, but I have not noticed as many glitches. The animations for damage are also markedly improved. It is not longer the standard "hand on head" and "hand over stomach".

Hasney

Wow, sounds like Universe is finally out of beta.

Now if only their engine could be...

1381157_670794136285030_1140909657_n.jpg

It is early yet, but I have not noticed as many glitches. The animations for damage are also markedly improved. It is not longer the standard "hand on head" and "hand over stomach".

I kind of meant to make it more fluid. I don't like the way the punching and kicking looks.(too arcadey) I want improved walking physics. But overall, its much better than last year.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know half the roster, but how I wish to play to play a good, fun, modern wrestling game. Yukes be damned.

Might rent it to see if it's good enough to own.

dubq

Gah, I see the tradition of absolutely no quality assurance continues with this design team.. On the PS3 version, I am getting a half-second or so delay on "bump" sounds on moves hitting the mat (ie: suplexes, etc), and also in menu confirmations or cancellations with X or Circle (not the selecting sound with the d-pad though).

Video evidence -- http://youtu.be/904vKXBhqww (sorry for the vertical orientation, easier to hold when trying to pull off moves)

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Nice to see some of last years bugs are still in there. Everyone in my game who isn't in a team is automatically with "The Agents". Which sounds great if i wanted a conspiracy theory storyline.

Had a bug earlier where it was stuck playing Brock Lesnars Music (for no reason) while the announcer was supposed to be saying it was a Championship match, i had to press a button to get past this as it wouldn't end automatically.

HT UK

Gah, I see the tradition of absolutely no quality assurance continues with this design team.. On the PS3 version, I am getting a half-second or so delay on "bump" sounds on moves hitting the mat (ie: suplexes, etc), and also in menu confirmations or cancellations with X or Circle (not the selecting sound with the d-pad though).

Video evidence -- http://youtu.be/904vKXBhqww (sorry for the vertical orientation, easier to hold when trying to pull off moves)

Retail or digital version?

Picked up my copy today, as promised my GF swapped several of the covers round to the Daniel Bryan one while we were in there. :p

Piss off Dwayne.

Can't wait to see how shitty the game is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The divas roster might as well not even exist in this game, honestly. It's the weakest I've seen in a Smackdown title since Smackdown 1. Which doesn't bother me, but man, they're doing DLC and it's not even for the ones who can wrestle like Naomi.

They should have just replaced them with more managers.

Reading the post above about breaking Undertaker's WM streak and having the lights go out (described as bull shit in the post) is something that sounds AWESOME. I was figuring he'd just be super human ... but if the lights went out and I ended up in a coffin or something for no reason, I'd laugh hard.
It's really well done. But when you're trying to beat him legitimately so that you can unlock Undertaker '98, it becomes infuriating after you lose 5 matches at about 10 minutes a piece.

This game works a lot better with the PS4 controller. I can actually reverse things. I'm enjoying the hell out of the Wrestlemania mode but I hope they change things up for the next gen versions. Maybe they'll finally look like a PS3 game.

HT UK

I bought this off UK PSN, and it doesn't include the online pass. No way I'm paying another £7.99 on top of the £39.99 the game cost me!

They screwed that up in the US too, took a day or so to add it to the download. I'd contact Sony because you're certainly not meant to pay for it.

Can someone sell me on Universe Mode? I never really understood the point of it other than you could just create a weekly fight roster.

I loved the multiplayer on WWE '13 even if it was a glitchy mess. It was a good laugh with some friends.

Have they at least fixed 2K14 in some regard? If so I might consider a purchase once the price goes down.

jboss

Neo Member
I bought this off UK PSN, and it doesn't include the online pass. No way I'm paying another £7.99 on top of the £39.99 the game cost me!

I had the same issue - when I originally downloaded it, I only got the game and the Ultimate Warrior DLC, no online pass and they wanted to charge for it.

If you haven't resolved this yet, I had to do this to get the Online Pass in the US, so it's worth a shot.

Go to the PlayStation store and go to WWE 2K14's game page. On that page, click the Download link, as if you were going to redownload the game. When you do, you'll see that 3 downloads start. Set them to download in the background and cancel the game and Ultimate Warrior downloads in the XMB. The third thing that downloads will be the Online Pass.

This is, of course, assuming it's the same on the EU PSN store, but I don't see why it would be different.

I can't beat Undertaker in Break The Streak. Outside of that really loving the game.

Keep him outside the ring until he is in critical condition and hit atleast 3 finishers on him before you bring him back in unless you want to lose. I just stayed up by the entrance to do this because he will keep trying to irish whip you to the ring but you hit the side and stop or stop before you get back to the ring.

Rapstah

Wrestlemania mode is way better than Attitude Era. Moving along and switching wrestlers all the time beats having 16 Mankind matches as a single category (I love Mankind, don't get me wrong).

Edit: Most of the Wrestlemania mode matches work okay, but there are a couple, notably Chris Jericho/Triple H and The Rock/Steve Austin (2003) where the game just tells you "hidden objective" and you have to fight for 30 minutes to figure out what you have to do to trigger the cut scene that unlocks the objective. In both those matches it was a groggy grapple near the ropes which sucks and is something they could just have told you.

Rapstah

So, in the Undertaker mode screen of 30 Years Of Wrestlemania there's a list of all his victories at Wrestlemania and two matches are blanked out with nothing written about them. It's his matches against Giant González and Sycho Sid. Why? I know that Giant González was a terrible match, but that doesn't stop them from mentioning it in passing on TV every other month. And for Sycho Sid, I see no reason whatsoever for his match not to be mentioned, WWE seems to be in all right standing with the guy too.

They list his match with Snuka, and that guy murdered someone and they're very careful about talking about him on TV nowadays, so this just sticks out to me. It's definitely not that they don't list matches against wrestlers that aren't in the game either because Snuka and Boss Man aren't in it.

dubq

WWE is such a bi-polar organization... who knows what their reasoning could be for removing those names.

Awesome, thanks! I'm bored... might rent it for tonight and buy it around Black Friday for $35 or so. I think Amazon & Best Buy had WWE 13 for $35 around then if I recall correctly.

dubq

Yep it's definitely 100 this year. They did cut back on a few features, though. There is no longer a "create an entrance video" feature, unfortunately. :(

ksdixon

removed Championship Scramble match ("time limit title" match without the backstage roaming for older fans).

introduced a resizing glitch with logos in create an arena, probably not a glitch but a design choice.

Rapstah

Modern Ric Flair has his own animation for being eliminated from a Royal Rumble where he cries. I don't think anyone else has a unique animation like that. Is that a huge dig at Flair or the opposite?

Purexed

Banned
Must have spent 2 hours beating the Undertaker in beat the streak, but I did it. Sledgehammers outside the ring were the only way to diminish him enough for the finish.

dubq

Modern Ric Flair has his own animation for being eliminated from a Royal Rumble where he cries. I don't think anyone else has a unique animation like that. Is that a huge dig at Flair or the opposite?

Probably a dig at Flair. When he was doing that whole retirement thing he would start welling up with tears about every 5 minutes, no matter what was happening. "Oh, a hot dog? Yes, I'd love a hot dog.. this reminds me of the hot dogs they had at the concessions at the Georgia Dome.." *starts bawling*

Kaladin

There is one thing that makes this better than all previous WWE games this gen. Rivalry Manager in Universe Mode. I love that I can book the angles I want to see play out like this instead of manipulating rivalries and allies or whatever settings in the background to do this. If the cut scenes don't get old, it's going to be my favorite part of the game.

Branson

So some sites gave this game a higher review score than BF4 and Ghosts. This is the only game I picked up this month. I thought that was funny.

Anyway I usually don't go through the main mode at all since I only want to create caws and use universe mode. I even use the unlocker so I have everything unlocked. I've been going through it this year and it's pretty damn good. The roster seems great. I just wish I could get Warrior.

I hope they include Mr. Perfect's theme with that DLC pack

Beat Takers BtS mode a few times already. Won with Nash, Punk and Ryback. Hes quite easy if you just use the sledgehammer and hit your finisher 2 or 3 times. Beat him in 5 minutes. Fun mode.

Why do they limit the amount of grapple moves? Its so annoying doing the same 3 moves for an entire match. In the earlier SD games there would be like 25 front grapple moves. I wish the game play and physics were more like HCTP. Happy they added back some of the old animations though.

I hope they include Mr. Perfect's theme with that DLC pack

Beat Takers BtS mode a few times already. Won with Nash, Punk and Ryback. Hes quite easy if you just use the sledgehammer and hit your finisher 2 or 3 times. Beat him in 5 minutes. Fun mode.

Why do they limit the amount of grapple moves? Its so annoying doing the same 3 moves for an entire match. In the earlier SD games there would be like 25 front grapple moves. I wish the game play and physics were more like HCTP. Happy they added back some of the old animations though.
From each of the three front tie up positions (wristlock, side headlock, front facelock) there are five grapples, one standing submission, and one grapple strike. Plus there another five groggy grapples. 26 grapples in total from the standing position (not counting the seven grapples from rear waistlock and the back groggy grapples). What might be happening is that you're only using one of the tie up positions.

dubq

So, what kind of Universe are you guys running?

I started out with:

Monday: WCW Nitro (World Heavyweight Title, WCW US Title, WCW Tag Titles)
Friday: WWE Main Event (Winged Eagle Title, white IC Title, blue/SD WWE Tag Titles)
PPVs: Two a month, one for each brand.

I got through to Summer Slam with this set up and kind of got sick of how unbalanced things were getting mainly due to so many retro stars on the roster. I didn't use any dead wrestlers, but the older stars who are still alive were just dominating everything, so I came up with an "angle" that a third party was coming in to buy both companies and make some changes.

So, at Summer Slam I booked a bunch of unification matches to decide the top dogs on the new "main" roster.. Jack Swagger (World Champ) vs Bret Hart (WWE Champ) - WINNER JACK SWAGGER; CM Punk (IC Champ) vs Kofi Kingston (WCW US Champ) - WINNER CM PUNK; Rated RKO (WWE Tag Champs) vs 3MB (WCW Tag Champs) - WINNERS: RATED RKO.

That lead me to..

Monday: WWE Raw - Major Show with own roster
World Heavyweight Title: Jack Swagger
Intercontinental Title (white version): CM Punk
WWE Tag Team Titles (current day versions): Rated RKO

So, with the rest of the roster I decided to create two more major shows..

Wednesday: NXT - Major Show with own roster
NXT Title: Dean Ambrose
NXT Tag Team Titles: Prime Time Players
NXT Women's Title (custom title): AJ Lee
*Note: this is the only roster with women/divas.

Friday: WWE Main Event - Minor Show where both WWE and NXT matches take place.

Saturday: Superstars - Major Show with own roster
WWE Winged Eagle Title: Bret Hart
WWE US Title: Ultimate Warrior
*Note: this roster is basically a "classic" stars show. Most of the living retro stars wrestle on this program, unless there is use for them on the Raw roster. Ie: I still use JBL as a current day active competitor, same for Edge, etc.

PPVs:
WWE/NXT - last Sunday of every month (using the current WWE PPV schedule)
Superstars - second Sunday of every other month (kind of a Clash of the Champions type show)

I divided the RAW/NXT rosters based on overall values, and the made some "trades" back and forth to further balance things out. I still need to come up with a few more tag teams for Raw, though, as NXT is dominating with 5 tag teams versus Raw's 2.

So far it's working out pretty well. I'm coming up on the December PPV and I honestly think that this is the furthest I've played in Universe mode. Usually I'd get annoyed with the bugs in previous games and just give up. So far, so good.

Kaladin

I haven't tweaked much beyond adding a King of The Ring PPV where Over The Limit usually is.

I'm going to mess around with a year or so of it mostly unchanged before doing anything major.

Top Bottom