• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k14 |OT| 30 Years of Wrestlemania, 10 Years of Here Comes The Pain

As someone who hasn't played a WWE game in a few years... What is universe mode? I figured it was a story mode, where you played as a guy and went through a story, but doesn't sound like it anymore?

You're basically like a god-GM planning WWE? I would have loved this 10 years ago.

Universe mode still needs objective based matches. I want it to be less about winning and more about the wrestlers hitting their spots successfully to gain prestige in the Fed.

Objectives would be laid out similarly as they would be in story mode.

How do WWE games keep getting decent scores? '12 was fucking terrible and this looks exactly the same

Every year everyone keeps saying they suck and are full of glitches yet every year I have a lot of fun playing them. Only glitch I've experienced is two stalls since I bought it last week.

Downhome

I just got the game today from the Walmart glitch, pricematched at Best Buy.

I don't suppose there is a discount on the season pass for PS+ members is there? I can't seem to find anything if there is.

Also, how do I get Ultimate Warrior since I didn't preorder? Unlockable or do I have to buy it?

EDIT:

I just put it in, I have no clue what I'm doing other than the basics. I just started the Wrestlemania thing and I just had more fun doing the Andre/Studd bodyslam challenge match than I have had in a wrestling game in a LONG time. This just may be pretty darn good...

Kaladin

So I immediately started a feud with John Cena vs Daniel Bryan over the WWE Championship....Cena as Champ in universe mode. I've gone through 4 weeks and 1 PPV of this feud.

Week 1: Bryan defeated Cena in a submission match, Cena refused the code of honor handshake.

Week 2: Bryan vs Kane.....Kane Def Bryan by submission after Cena causes a distraction.

Week 3/4: Bryan vs Cena continues with Bryan and Cena trading cheap shots before and after the matches, Cena wins week 3, Bryan goes over in week 4.

PPV: Bryan vs Cena (Extreme Rules) : Extreme rules gets extreme. Bryan puts Cena through a flaming table. Bryan goes for more punishment before putting on the Yes! Lock but Cena wraps him up in a small package for the win.

This feud is set for 12 weeks (3 PPVs)

How will Bryan earn another shot at the WWE Championship which Cena out wrestled him for when it mattered?

HMC

That digital Macho spot gave me chills...The Savage/Steamboat fued had soo much heat back then. I remember that match so clearly. The only thing missing was George the animal.

Great job on the nostalgia factor, 2K.

I just got the game today from the Walmart glitch, pricematched at Best Buy.

I don't suppose there is a discount on the season pass for PS+ members is there? I can't seem to find anything if there is.

Also, how do I get Ultimate Warrior since I didn't preorder? Unlockable or do I have to buy it?

EDIT:

I just put it in, I have no clue what I'm doing other than the basics. I just started the Wrestlemania thing and I just had more fun doing the Andre/Studd bodyslam challenge match than I have had in a wrestling game in a LONG time. This just may be pretty darn good...

There is no way to get UW without a preorder. They will probably sell him at some point in the future.

Downhome

I'm having the hardest time timing the reversals in this game, ha. I'm up to Savage/Steamboat and I can only get it 1 out of 10 times, if even that.

Rapstah

I'm having the hardest time timing the reversals in this game, ha. I'm up to Savage/Steamboat and I can only get it 1 out of 10 times, if even that.

Arm twists are impossible to predict. I think every wrestler has different timing with those because on some it's right on the first twist, on some it's right on the second twist, and it's sometimes right inbetween. Most other moves should counter the same every time. I think arm twists depend on the speed stat for how quickly the animation completes but I guess the counter isn't tied to the animation in timing.

Edit: Weird bug: King is absolutely convinced one of my custom wrestlers is The Rock.

Rapstah

Universe mode entrances seem fucked up. The game generated a triple threat match with three of my custom wrestlers. The first two have custom music and the third has a song from the game (Damien Sandow's, I think, doesn't matter). The first one entered to the Ultimate Warrior's music, the second entered to his actual custom music, and then that custom music kept playing while the third wrestler entered. What the hell?

This could tie into the bug where selecting music and Titantron videos in the entrance creator starts showing you the last thing you previewed when you preview music or videos.

In short I don't think this is any less buggy than WWE '13 and reviews that said it was weren't looking in the right places.

Edit: A consequence of the AI being slightly better seems to be that AI/AI/AI triple threat matches never end. They'll never throw anyone out of the ring so the third competitor is always close enough to break a pin between the first two, and the pathfinding is good enough for the third guy to always get to the pin.

Edit II: The audience seems to be reacting to the length of the match with "boring" chants. Pretty great if that's what it is, couldn't tell.

Edit III: Next match: the game is playing Dolph Ziggler's music and Razor Ramon's music at the same time for a custom wrestler who's supposed to have Razor Ramon's music!

... and now it played custom music over three entrances in a row. The first guy was supposed to have the music, the second guy had game-supplied music, the third guy had custom music again.

And after the second guy with the game-supplied music won, the game started playing his actual music (Prime Time Players theme) two times at once so they're sort of overlapping and really loud. This is broken as hell.

Downhome

They really stumbled onto something with this Wrestlemania mode. I haven't done a single thing in the game yet other than this. They could expand this with future games and I'd be all in. Do it for other major matches at WM, other PPVs, anything. Heck, do a game based on doing classic WCW matches, do it for ECW, whatever. I love this mode to death. I want to do this for Goldberg/Hogan from Nitro.

They nailed so many of the details, I'm very impressed with the entire thing.

They really stumbled onto something with this Wrestlemania mode. I haven't done a single thing in the game yet other than this. They could expand this with future games and I'd be all in. Do it for other major matches at WM, other PPVs, anything. Heck, do a game based on doing classic WCW matches, do it for ECW, whatever. I love this mode to death. I want to do this for Goldberg/Hogan from Nitro.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the real key to that mode is that the focus isn't on winning, instead you're trying to hit all the objectives. That's far more like real wrestling than simply winning.

I really want them to bring objective based match types as an option Universe mode. I want my Feds to be focused on wrestlers hitting their spots instead of just simply winning. The better they are at hitting their spots and putting on a great match, the higher their rank would be and the closer they would get to a title shot.

Downhome

Yep, future DLC and games should focus BIG on this sort of thing.

I would eat up DLC giving us PPVs to complete, classic WCW shows, ECW stuff, or even mixtures of it all. I want to relive all of that stuff in these games now.

Rapstah

Universe Mode has just been crashing and glitching left and right for me. For my purposes, creating a TV show with all-custom stupid characters, it's completely broken. May have something to do with how half of them have custom music that I painstakingly burned onto CDs that I then ripped onto my Xbox (fuck this process) but the rate at which something doesn't work, just trying to make the game run every match AI vs. AI, is so high it's not worth trying until they patch it. Since no one else seemingly has this problem I don't think they're patching it.

While '13 had somewhat more broken AI and didn't have two-counts, at least it worked on a basic level.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Universe mode entrances seem fucked up. The game generated a triple threat match with three of my custom wrestlers. The first two have custom music and the third has a song from the game (Damien Sandow's, I think, doesn't matter). The first one entered to the Ultimate Warrior's music, the second entered to his actual custom music, and then that custom music kept playing while the third wrestler entered. What the hell?

This could tie into the bug where selecting music and Titantron videos in the entrance creator starts showing you the last thing you previewed when you preview music or videos.

In short I don't think this is any less buggy than WWE '13 and reviews that said it was weren't looking in the right places.

Edit: A consequence of the AI being slightly better seems to be that AI/AI/AI triple threat matches never end. They'll never throw anyone out of the ring so the third competitor is always close enough to break a pin between the first two, and the pathfinding is good enough for the third guy to always get to the pin.

Edit II: The audience seems to be reacting to the length of the match with "boring" chants. Pretty great if that's what it is, couldn't tell.

Edit III: Next match: the game is playing Dolph Ziggler's music and Razor Ramon's music at the same time for a custom wrestler who's supposed to have Razor Ramon's music!

... and now it played custom music over three entrances in a row. The first guy was supposed to have the music, the second guy had game-supplied music, the third guy had custom music again.

And after the second guy with the game-supplied music won, the game started playing his actual music (Prime Time Players theme) two times at once so they're sort of overlapping and really loud. This is broken as hell.

sounds like the problems people were running into in this vgcw forum thread where people were trying to get tag entrances to work. 6 pages of "wtf Yukes"

Kaladin

Lol, PS3 got a 225MB patch to prepare us for the delivery of DLC....in other words, they pre-loaded the DLC via patch and buying it simply unlocks it.

Been having some fun epic matches with the CPU. Put the difficulty on Legendary and set the matches to epic for an awesome time.

Been having crazy wars being CM Punk vs Lesnar, Randy Savage vs Yokozuna, Shield vs Ryback in a handicap match to name a few. Actually having more fun with this game than I thought due to the AI

How does this years Wrestlemania mode compare to last year's Attitude mode?

I think Attitude mode is better because they actually built up the fueds and built up the storylines. In Wrestlemania mode they just drop you in a match to complete objectives with no build up to the match. And there is way too much focus on current WWE in this mode. Would have been great to see more New Generation & Attitude wrestlemania moments, but with the lack of Dudley's, Hardys & Angle I can almost see why, but they could have added some more Attitude Teams like LOD and NAO.

I'm at the start of Universe era and I have no desire to go through it

Roster wise this game has much more star power, while 13 had more of a mid card pressance. It's awesome seeing guys like Rikishi, Gangrel, Chainsaw Charlie & Brian Pillman.

Rapstah

When challenging the Undertaker with Batista in the Beat the Streak mode I got King talking about "WWE hall of famers" the Wild Samoans as the intro speech where he's supposed to say something about either the person you're challenging the Undertaker with or a generic quote. The Wild Samoans aren't even close to being in the game, what the hell?

Edit: The crowd started a "Let's go 'taker"/"No it's not" chant immediately, I think my copy of the game is cursed.

dubq

What characters are supposed to be dlc? I wonder if they are already unlocked for season pass holders.

Tomorrow it's Nash, Hall, Syxx, Hennig, Steiner, Giant & Savage.. with the bonus of Outsiders attire for Nash & Hall for seasons pass holders. And now, they aren't unlocked for SP holders. :( We get them the same time as everyone else.

Rapstah

Getting some pretty funny bugs out of Universe Mode:

20131112_222315j2e0s.jpg

Rapstah

Impressions of the nWo DLC:
  • Hennig's finisher is the Perfect-plex although this is supposed to be nWo Curt Hennig whose finisher was the Hennig-plex for copyright reasons.
  • Scott Steiner has the Steiner Elbow (biceps kiss included) with pin. A+ effort.
  • Outsiders Nash and Hall are separate characters meaning they exist in three separate characters with the game if you have this DLC.
  • Finkel announces Syxx as "Syxx-pac"... which was his TNA name? I don't think he ever went by that in WCW. This usually is the type of thing WWE is really sensitive about. Edit: His tights totally said 6-PAC, I'm wrong.
  • Syxx has crotch chops as a taunt.
  • Cole still uses the same quotes when nWo Macho Man enters as when 80s Macho Man enters. One of the quotes is "this music means only one man can be entering". nWo Macho Man enters to the nWo song to which like 12 characters now enter.
I'm also pretty sure Nash, Hall, Macho Man and Hennig use the exact head models of their WWF counterparts that are in the base game, which I guess isn't a bad thing. They all have base game-level commentary from King and Cole.

I need to go download that season pass. NWO pack sounds awesome.

I would kill for a WCW and Attitude pack

Imagine

WCW
DDP
Bagwell
Ultimo Dragon
Raven
Sting (didn't he sign a legends contract?)
Lugar

Attitude
Christian
Gangrel
Rikishi
Dudleys (Vince owns the Dudley names and likeness)
Vader
Sid
Shamrock

Screw it, just add in the entire Attitude roster from last year as DLC. Would buy it for $30

• Cole still uses the same quotes when nWo Macho Man enters as when 80s Macho Man enters. One of the quotes is "this music means only one man can be entering". nWo Macho Man enters to the nWo song to which like 12 characters now enter.
I heard this same thing on 2K's official video for his nWo entrance. I laughed.

Kaladin

For a company that prides themselves on realism in it's sports (entertainment) games, I don't see 2k keeping Yukes around unless they start fixing some of these small issues like that Macho Man entrance bug.

After they get a couple years into their next gen engine, I'd love to see a Monday Night Wars themed game.

I was actually expecting this game to be a Monday Night Wars game given the hints from WWE 13.

But if they do a Monday Night Wars game they can't botch it. It will need guys like Sting, Dudleys, Angle and everyone. They should have 100 WWF 100 WCW and 50 ECW wrestlers from 96'-2001.

Game should start with King of the Ring 96 with Austin's famous speech and the Invasion of the NWO which happened during the same time and end it with the end of the Invasion angle, but modify it so that Goldberg and Sting were there. That game would be beyond epic

Rapstah

There's a stupid bug where the game locks up and freezes when it's trying to load a title match for a custom belt which manifests in one of the following three ways:

1. The loading screen keeps loading forever. It still animates and you can quit the game through your system menu on your respective system.
  2. The loading screen freezes, taking the system with it.
  3. The match loads to Justin Roberts talking in ring, but no sound plays and the game freezes after he is done talking. Sometimes this cut scene is skippable and skipping it sometimes leads to the match.
There are a couple of ways to counter this in Universe Mode, but no way to actually get the booked match stipulation unless it's Hell in a Cell.
  1. Re-book the match (R1 or RB, picking Title Match for the title in question) as a Hell in a Cell match. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work, and sometimes does the Justin Roberts thing.
  2. Make sure your fictional Universe Mode promotion uses one of the belts that the game comes with, like WWE Championship (Edge).
This issue also sometimes applies to regular exhibition mode title matches and the finals of Gold Rush tournaments, with the same solution about making it a Hell in a Cell title match sometimes doing it.

This seems to also tie in with the game having enormous issues doing ring intros when there's custom content involved, like the bug with tag team intros in story mode and custom music sometimes not playing, sometimes playing the wrong song, and sometimes playing the wrong song and the right song at the same time, or the wrong some and another wrong song at the same time.

Yuke's. Not even once.

Metalmarc

I bought this off UK PSN, and it doesn't include the online pass. No way I'm paying another £7.99 on top of the £39.99 the game cost me!

Gutted for you, i bought it today £19.99 in GAME, on disc , with the online pass and the ultimate warrior code

dreamfall

As someone who's played 12/13 pretty heavily, I think I'm having a real problem figuring out reversal timing this year.

It feels like they've changed it significantly- granted, there aren't as many reversal exchanges, but part of me feels like they've made the window much more particular. Maybe I'm imagining it? This allows for much better match flow, but I keep missing it. I never had this problem before!

I love the Wrestlemania mode- even better than Attitude for me. I'm supremely excited to devote more time to this year's iteration!

YoungHav

Banned
Are stables perpetual in Universe mode? My last game was SvR '11 and I had to recreate the 4 Horsemen and nWo like 400x because the stupid game would automatically break up my stables.

As someone who's played 12/13 pretty heavily, I think I'm having a real problem figuring out reversal timing this year.

It feels like they've changed it significantly- granted, there aren't as many reversal exchanges, but part of me feels like they've made the window much more particular. Maybe I'm imagining it? This allows for much better match flow, but I keep missing it. I never had this problem before!

I love the Wrestlemania mode- even better than Attitude for me. I'm supremely excited to devote more time to this year's iteration!
In my experience, it's more of a case that the AI varies it's timing. Seems like it used to just go for the first chance, now sometimes it waits before executing a move.

Got this for £20 from amazon, got to say I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Probably helps I haven't played a game since the ps1 days so there's no burnout. The classic matches are a lot of fun.

Takes some time to get used to the reversal button timing though, its the first game I've noticed input lag on, until I switched the TV to game mode and its now much better.

I got it for £11 from the PS3 sale and I just can't get my head around it.
I've not played a WWE game since the PS2 days and the whole affair now seems focused on reversing rather than attacking, but I just can't do it. It's like wrestling a brick wall, lol. The CPU can reverse every move I throw at them, but I can't get the timing right on the simplest of holds. Too slow, too fast, too slow, too fast, too slow. There's no room for error, even on easy. :/
I played a local two player match and that was fun in a cripple-fight kind of way, neither of us were producing moves based on skill....but fun was achieved. Against the CPU just feels like a hassle.

PaulLFC

Noticed this is £11 in the PSN sale, but I have WWE 13 already. Are there enough improvements to justify upgrading, or should I wait until next year? I know about the Wrestlemania story mode, anything else apart from that? Universe/GM style improvements would be the most interesting to me, if there are any.

Top Bottom