• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2k17 Changes From 2k16 - No Showcase Mode

Hasney

Eh, Day of Reckoning 2 is up there with No Mercy, but I couldn't pick one over the other. It's not goggles, they're in our local gaming rotation.

All Stars is a totally different beast that I couldn't compare to anything else.

Branson

I did enjoy the gameplay of 16, so no complaints there, but waiting for the PC version might be smart since it includes all of the DLC for like $40 or so. But waiting like 8 months isn't that appealing. Plus the CAW community I feel like would be on ps4.

Passing on a Showcase this year to focus on other modes is definitely a welcomed change for me. That's not to say that past showcases have been bad or anything - there's just a slight lack of excitement when you already know how everything is going to pan out.That being said, showcase mode typically provided us with a nice set of legends and alumni to play around with, so we might get a little burned there. Hopefully that void will be filled with as many NXT superstars as possible!

MyCareer is the mode that I have the highest hopes for every year. I appreciate Yukes trying to add longevity to the mode, but it doesn't matter when the player feels like they've hit a wall so early. I'd love to see the returns of paths, similar to what we had in HCTP and SYM. If they could find a mix between what they have now and the storytelling elements of past games, they'd be able to find a near perfect balance. I just pray that the mode feels fully realized regardless of what stories you're involved in, and doesn't just feel like a nonsensical ladder to face off against Lesnar. Paul mentioned on Twitter that he recorded lines that advocated for the player rather than Brock, so I'm assuming you'll be able to nab him as a manager and have him be your mouthpiece, which would actually be really awesome.

Universe Mode is my least played mode, and I don't expect that to change this year. Like a lot of other people said, there needs to be a strong GM Mode influence. Hopefully we'll see that next year, which will be more impacted by the brand split than this year.

Simulation over arcade isn't a bad thing if it's implemented correctly. There shouldn't be a complex system for everything, or you'll end up breaking the flow of the match. Mechanics like their current kick-out system is fine, because it's simple and exerts pressure on the player. If you're critically injured, you know that the kick-out bar is going to be a lot slimmer and more difficult to hit if you get pinned. It creates a sense of urgency to end the match before your shoulders go down. Chunsoft posted that next-gen NFP petition a while back - I haven't heard anything about it sense, but I'd love to see it come to fruition and be able to get my arcade kick.

Everything else sounds promising. Customs tron, custom victories, improved ladder matches, the return of backstage brawls.

Eh, Day of Reckoning 2 is up there with No Mercy, but I couldn't pick one over the other. It's not goggles, they're in our local gaming rotation.

All Stars is a totally different beast that I couldn't compare to anything else.

All Stars felt more like an evolution of the old coin-ops, such as Wrestlefest or those weird midway games where the Undertaker would hit you in the head with a literal tombstone.

Also, of course create-a-move is out. Gotta keep back some moves for the season pass, can't have folks making them themselves without putting more dollar down.

Thabass

"backstage brawling gameplay?

Does that mean backstage wrestling is back?

Yes. It's actually a mini-game called WCW Backstage Assault.

10898_front.jpg

Kidding of course, but yes, your point is what it means.

I wish the series would go back to the less serious, more fast paced and more content heavy gameplay of the later PSOne games and the early PS2 games. Going backstage and having an entire network of rooms and areas to move between and fuck about in was the best shit ever. All the cool stuff the series has had seems to have been stripped over the course of the last 2 console generations.

Exis

2K16 was weird in places and the submission system was unplayable.
Will rent the new one but they will not get money until they actually fix the gameplay.

What could they even historically mine for showcase anymore?

They did dx, austin, past wrestlemanias...

They'll never use Hogan, seems like they would run out of candidates.

I wish the series would go back to the less serious, more fast paced and more content heavy gameplay of the later PSOne games and the early PS2 games. Going backstage and having an entire network of rooms and areas to fuck about in was the best shit ever. All the cool stuff the series has had seems to have been stripped over the course of the last 2 console generations.

I guess people grew up with those type of games and loved them but I really hate the early Yukes stuff. Smackdown 2 had some nice features but a lot of it was too fast paced and arcadey for me. Those were the games that made me yearn for a No Mercy sequel.

I feel with the current gen 2k stuff, it's more my stride.

We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction
Bleh. Also:

We also added a full Highlight Replay system, which allows players to record video highlights from their matches.
We also added more intrigue and possibilities by incorporating run-ins

Vintage Yukes. Bring back shit that we removed a couple of games before and try to act like it's a brand new feature.

Stuart444

Honestly, here comes the pain also was as good also.

Here comes the Pain and Shut your Mouth were the best story mode wise. HCTP would have been the best if not for no announcers. I know some people don't care about that but I prefer announcers over silence/music/etc

I'm also okay with simulation gameplay but any Rock Paper Scissors aka luck based gameplay doesn't make it more realistic. Nor does the new submission features, etc.

SYM/HCTP were better. Hell the first two SvR were better than the recent incarnations from a gameplay perspective (even if the story mode VA was laughable)

Ah well. Until people stop buying them, nothing will change. WWE likes them because they sell. As long as that is a constant, going "Is it Yukes again?" is stupid since you already KNOW the answer.

As soon as you see WWE going "WWE game sales are down, we're considering a switch of developers and are discussing it with the publisher, 2K, etc" then asking "Is it Yukes again?" will be a relevant question.

Also, good thing to remember. Even if they switched the developer, if it's still yearly, you would need to wait at least a year or two to get the same content since a new developer would essentially be starting from scratch. (and if they weren't, people would be complaining about Legacy stuff from Yuke's still being in the game)

anyway, bottom line is, Yukes will keep being the developer for the foreseeable future. Can't do much about it as long as sales are up.

edit: Also yes, the submission system sucks in 2k16

Hasney

Is there a mobile version of this? GM mode on the phone would be a perfect setup.

Booking Revolution is hilarious, probably deeper than the WWE GM modes, but don't expect anything too crazy.

Although you can make a Christmas Tree match inside a steel cage with 50 trees and 99 pieces of dynamyte to boost up the ratings, kill someone in the ring and have a memorial show for them the week after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S_wMoQj70I

EDIT: Speaking of New Legacy Inc

i3HSzJL.png

Past

Besides Kurt Angle, which "historic superstars" couldn't they get for Brock Lesnar's showcase mode? Most of the big names that he faced are still on the roster...

theclaw135

Banned
2K16 on PS4 was overall a pleasant surprise. All those glitches plaguing PS3 2K14 are gone! The reversal point system could be balanced better. Good at reducing counter spam, yet still penalizes running out too much.

I will say the extent of gender restrictions is lame. Intergender matches may not fit WWE's current product, at least tone down the instant DQ for fending off a female manager in your way.

2K16 on PS4 was overall a pleasant surprise. All those glitches plaguing PS3 2K14 are gone! The reversal point system could be balanced better. Good at reducing counter spam, yet still penalizes running out too much.

I will say the extent of gender restrictions is lame. Intergender matches may not fit WWE's current product, at least tone down the instant DQ for fending off a female manager in your way.

There were still a lot of glitches. They don't hamper gameplay nearly as much as some people try to claim. They do make for fantastic gifs though.

RBH

We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction
This is the opposite of what they should be doing.

I wish them record breaking low sales. They just dobt deserve it after years of laziness

Give the budget to All Stars 2. At least that game had heart

Striker

Most of these changes sound great but:

I actually liked the arcade-centric gameplay when you make things too realstic you end up loosing the charm and fun factor that originally made the games fun to begin with. Still the Creation Suite changes sound great and it is about damn time we can fight backstage again.
Like the NBA series, this build has a big problem with responsiveness and feedback. It was and has been super lackluster since 2K took over with their new engine.

And anything on freedon for users for creating any type of match they want? Because no entrances online, unable to turn off submission, countout, etc. is ridiculous.

Edit: oh the 'new' reversal system is really bad. Lazy to boot.

The submission mini game from last year might have been the worst gameplay mechanic ever added in a game and broke the gameplay.

KAP151

Fans have been asking us to truly improve the core gameplay experience since we inherited the brand, and we are taking your requests seriously

What a crock of shit. Lies, lies, lies.

And anything on freedon for users for creating any type of match they want?
Match Creator from '13 really needs to make a return. It was such a simple thing to be incorporated, and the fans loved it, yet they seem to be moving in the exact opposite direction by minimizing match type options.

They haven't mentioned anything about adding new match types, but they've alluded to an updated online system. Hopefully that update will at least include custom match stipulations.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Since there's no showcase will we still get older arena's? I know there's the WCW ones and WM 31.

How hard is it to make a divas career mode?

With the WWE 2K franchise, we are striving to deliver the most authentic and realistic WWE experience possible. Fans have been asking us to truly improve the core gameplay experience since we inherited the brand, and we are taking your requests seriously

Ayyy Lmao

"Sim" with all the shitty, stiff, robotic animations and wrestlers sliding around the ring and a referee with a reaction time only rivaled by a sloth.

I always end up getting the newest WWE game every year. I've always enjoyed playing them, even at the low points. This one sounds promising, but that's every year before release. My 7 year old loves playing them, so I'll end up getting it for some tag team action at least.

JUST MAKE ALL STARS 2 DAMN IT
Preach it! That game was great.

Xion385

Can we use current Superstars in Career Mode? I think last year you weren't able to do that. I just want to have career mode as Hideo Itami, man.

Just give me Styles and Nakamura and I'm set.

NAKAMURA AND STYLES BETTER BE AT LEAST 92!!! HEAR ME, YUKES!!! I WON'T BUY IT IF THEY AREN'T RATED THAT HIGH!!!
I probably still will be though if AJ is in the game

Hasney

Can we use current Superstars in Career Mode? I think last year you weren't able to do that. I just want to have career mode as Hideo Itami, man.

Just give me Styles and Nakamura and I'm set.

NAKAMURA AND STYLES BETTER BE AT LEAST 92!!! HEAR ME, YUKES!!! I WON'T BUY IT IF THEY AREN'T RATED THAT HIGH!!!
I probably still will be though if AJ is in the game

Styles isn't confirmed, but I'd say it's likely he's in.

Nakamura's confirmed... But he's DLC and a timed exclusive to the $100 NXT edition.

The Showcase mode was my favourite part of 2K15 and 2K16 so this is very disappointing news. It's not even the worst part as I feel that going for a more sim-like experience will make the gameplay worse and it already pales in comparison to the days of No Mercy and Here Comes the Pain. I still enjoyed 2K15 and 2K16 but this looks like it is going to be bad enough for me to not bother playing.

Dueck

Banned
"We’ve shifted the gameplay experience focus from an arcade-centric, fighting game style to simulation-based gameplay, and WWE 2K17 continues pushing in that direction with both improved and new gameplay mechanics."

That's why I like each game less and less, I suppose. Am I crazy? Aren't the N64 ones the most fun wrestling games to this day? And that's what you hear on forums? Who keeps demanding these stricter simulations? It seems more like some executive wants all the sports licenses in a neat little row. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they end up in Australia and Marge is trying to order a coffee and the guy just keeps repeating "beer" to her.

Maybe I am alone in this...

Top Bottom