• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K20 review thread

Bullet Club

he2TN1p.jpg

Game Information

Available on:
PC (Oct 22, 2019)
PlayStation 4 (Oct 22, 2019)
Xbox One (Oct 22, 2019)

Developer: Visual Concepts

Publisher: 2K Games

Genre: Sports

ZDV7vxt.gif

SIP4S6j.png

IGN - Mitchell Saltzman - 4.3/10
WWE 2K20 is a buggy mess, but its gameplay also feels notably worse than previous years.
Wccftech - 3/10
WWE 2K20 is a slap in the face. I'm sure plenty of passionate people worked on this game, but the fact that 2K Games was willing to release it in such a sorry state shows they believe WWE hardcores will blindly gobble up whatever they shovel at them. WWE 2K20 is ugly, broken, uninspired junk, written and presented with contempt for pro wrestling and its fans. I know buying the annual WWE game is a tradition for a lot of people, but I strongly urge you to reconsider this year. If 2K and Visual Concepts can't do better than this, it may be time to hang up their boots.
Cheat Code Central - 2.5/5
At its core, there is still a great deal of fun in playing WWE2K20, but the technical issues, poor visuals, and bad writing make this year an easy one to skip, especially if you’re still playing through WWE 2K19.
Impulsegamer - Paul Stuart -2.8/5
Ugly, unplayable, and filled with glitches, not even the biggest wrestling fan should pick up WWE 2K20 in its current state.
Heavy - Elton Jones - 5.5/10
But there are far too many negatives in place here that disrupts all the good WWE 2K20 tries to deliver. Perhaps it’s time for another developer to try their hand at WWE’s video game efforts…
TrueGaming - 3/10
This year's release is a total technical catastrophe, the series keeps moving downwards with each release and requires an overall reinvention or taking a break till then.
Cultured Vultures - Stephen Wilds - 5/10
The series is back up to its old tricks, the bad ones, as this new installment hosts a crazy number of glitches and annoyances. Some fun can be had playing with WWE’s toys, but the cost of entry seems steeper than ever this year.
Forbes - Brian Mazique - 5.3/10
It feels as if this was a rebuilding year for the WWE 2K franchise. While a few of the legacy strengths such as the creation suite are still strong, the most important part, the gameplay is in a bad place. The previous years’ version of a game shouldn’t play significantly better than the new title, but that’s the case with WWE 2K20.
Cerealkillerz - Julian Bieder- 6.8/10
WWE 2K20 doesn't look good, some Wrestlers probably wouldn't even recognize themselves. It doesn't play well despite the old engine, it doesn't run well because of a immense amount of bugs and glitches. There's not much positive to mention about the newest WWE game, so fans should stay away from this one.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's my GOTY so far. There are some rough edges but I'd give it a solid 8.5 because of how satisfying the core gameplay is, along with the best in class creation suite, soundtrack, and level of diversity when it comes to the roster.

To avoid sounding like I'm gushing, I do have one major issue, and it's that it might be TOO good, thereby effecting the perception of next year's iteration. I feel like they have set the bar so high that there's no way they can top it and people are going to unfairly criticize WWE 2K21 for it.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It's my GOTY so far. There are some rough edges but I'd give it a solid 8.5 because of how satisfying the core gameplay is, along with the best in class creation suite, soundtrack, and level of diversity when it comes to the roster.

Thanks. I was unsure whether to get it or not but now I'm sold. Does it have any kind of Collectors Edition that's like 500$ that I can buy?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Thanks. I was unsure whether to get it or not but now I'm sold. Does it have any kind of Collectors Edition that's like 500$ that I can buy?
CE is only about $150 here in Canada so I'm not sure what that converts to for your currency. But it includes a random selection of one of three autographed items from either Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle, or Edge.

I wanted all three, because I'm a hardcore collector, and it took me having to buy 7 copies until I got all three. Unfortunately my Edge autograph is missing so I have to find a way to replace that.

But I kind of like that, it adds to the chase and is almost a sort of meta game which makes me like 2K20 even more.

Thief1987

To avoid sounding like I'm gushing, I do have one major issue, and it's that it might be TOO good, thereby effecting the perception of next year's iteration. I feel like they have set the bar so high that there's no way they can top it and people are going to unfairly criticize WWE 2K21 for it.
Knew that i can't trust this stupid haters critics. How about microtransaction system? I'm planning to spend as much as i can in this beautiful game.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
CE is only about $150 here in Canada so I'm not sure what that converts to for your currency. But it includes a random selection of one of three autographed items from either Rey Mysterio, Kurt Angle, or Edge.

I wanted all three, because I'm a hardcore collector, and it took me having to buy 7 copies until I got all three. Unfortunately my Edge autograph is missing so I have to find a way to replace that.

But I kind of like that, it adds to the chase and is almost a sort of meta game which makes me like 2K20 even more.

That's very unfortunate. Guess I'll just get 10 of those and see what I get. I'll be sure to buy my friends a few copies as well. Thanks for the info!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Knew that i can't trust this stupid haters critics. How about microtransaction system? I'm planning to spend as much as i can in this beautiful game.
Burn. Them. Doooown!!

There are microtransactions and you can purchase them with either in-game currency or premium currency, but it's pretty grindy if you try to get it with in game currency.

But to be honest, I love that. It makes the actual purchases that much more satisfying. If you use real money, you know it came from an honest days work. If you grind the in game currency, then you know you put in the effort and can feel proud.

Last edited:

RavageX

I can't be bothered to buy the game. I played it on PC and it's just as bad as it seems to be. Everything is low quality, and feels worse than the previous game. I won't even TOUCH the career mode...poorly written just like the actual show. Terrible graphics, slow moving, glitches galore. I will be glad to see whatever Yukes comes up with.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I can't believe they try to release one of these every year. I guess it makes financial sense but...who buys these every year? (I know people say this about sports games that are always on top of the sales charts).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't follow WWE games, so I thought this hilarity surrounding this game was an anomaly, but if you check Meta or Opencritic scores, all these WWE 2K games get crap scores.

The last WWE games to get decent scores were last gen games from around 2008-2010.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they wait this long to drop a review? So that some people can buy this uninformed?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why did they wait this long to drop a review? So that some people can buy this uninformed?
No doubt.

Typically any awesome games let early reviews slide, but shitty games get patrolled like they are under oppression.

The outlier is Bethesda. Good game or shit game, they are seem to be hard on embargo dates.

Amazingly, the 2k WWE games have had trainwreck reviews for years, yet they keep churning them out. Might as well do it as it's the only wrestling game around. These games can get F- scores and will probably still sell 1,000,000 copies.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Amazingly, the 2k WWE games have had trainwreck reviews for years, yet they keep churning them out. Might as well do it as it's the only wrestling game around. These games can get F- scores and will probably still sell 1,000,000 copies.
People that support this kind of thing are worse than the yearly CoD gamer. At least those games actually work.

DilWSTS

How is your review tagline "WWE 2K20 doesn't look good, some Wrestlers probably wouldn't even recognize themselves. It doesn't play well despite the old engine, it doesn't run well because of a immense amount of bugs and glitches. There's not much positive to mention about the newest WWE game, so fans should stay away from this one. "

Yet you give it 6.8/10??

Hostile_18

Banned
I stopped buying these games a long time ago. I really want to buy a good WWE game as well.

The truth is you can't make a good game in 8 months. WWE apparently forces the yearly releases, Yukes had enough and was probably right in walking away.

I admit it’s not a perfect game, but I’m having fun with it. I haven’t really experienced slow down or bad glitches so far. One thing that IS pissing me off is it keeps resetting titles me and my friends win in exhibition back to vacant every time I turn off the console and boot it back up the next day. Anyone else having that problem too?

GreatnessRD

We're aware of the reports "some players" are reporting.

The fucking audacity and arrogance. However, I still respect their don't give a fuck attitude. Take a lot of balls to finesse people out of their money and not care at the same time, lol

Petrae

We're aware of the reports "some players" are reporting.

The fucking audacity and arrogance. However, I still respect their don't give a fuck attitude. Take a lot of balls to finesse people out of their money and not care at the same time, lol

Why would Take-Two care? It knows that consumers are going to keep buying their shit, even if broken. The publisher is like a drug pusher; you don’t have to like the guy or how he does business as long as he gives you what you want... because you’re hooked.

Clarissa

Banned
Last good wwe game was Here comes the pain.

I bought the next two iterations and they were the same and I stopped buying them since. I also moved on to watching UFC/Pride anyway.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Who couldn't see this coming, they need to take a step back but they wont because people still keep buying this shit every year

Shaqazooloo

Sometimes it's best to skip a year if you aren't ready to release. Bad impressions from a broken game will sour those looking toward the next entry.

Are the sales of this game worth the bad press? I suppose their mindset might be that theirs no such thing as bad press

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Pretty sad how this game turned out. You have Becky Lynch (and Roman) on the cover and have a women's revolution as the focus of the showcase. And the game is a mess. I don't like how you have to play both male and female caws for my career.

Javthusiast

Banned
WWE don’t give a damn about their main products quality as long as it makes money, so why should they and 2K care about the game? I hope fans wise up and vote with their wallets, but highly doubt it‘s gonna change for the better with the next installments.

As mentioned in the post above they need to take time off and overhaul everything. But yearly franchises don‘t work that way.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WWE don’t give a damn about their main products quality as long as it makes money, so why should they and 2K care about the game? I hope fans wise up and vote with their wallets, but highly doubt it‘s gonna change for the better with the next installments.

As mentioned in the post above they need to take time off and overhaul everything. But yearly franchises don‘t work that way.
2k games from 1999 to 2010: It's all about high quality games, and none of that EA cookie cutter crap. NFL, NBA, Baseball, NHL, college. It's all here and better than any EA Sports game. Hell, we even have tennis games

2k games from 2011-present day: Please buy our repetitive microtrans heavy NBA and WWE games. The end

Last edited:
Watching that IGN video review... wow, how did this game become worse than last years? Did 2K have to rebuild this game on a new engine? Or is this still using the same engine from the Yuke's games?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Hey team, let's ship this shitty game out the door. Let's hope and pray it gets good reviews.

Oh shit, sites and gamers noticed it's trash.

Ok, you know the drill. Hey PR guy, send out a note we will look into it, BUT don't admit we knew about the bad quality. For all you programmers, get your asses back at your desk Monday and hash out a quick patch.

We'll release the patch in 2 weeks and call it quits.

Look for your meeting invite at the end of the month for WWE 2K21 prep work.

On a positive note, I would like to personally thank our video editing team for spending a record 168 hours to piece together a smooth non-buggy 90 second preview clip to web sites to show gamers 6 months ago. I know you guys put in hard work given the bugs every 3 seconds, but when there's a will there's a way! Looking forward to your excellent 2k21 clip next year.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
WWE 2K20 doesn't look good, some Wrestlers probably wouldn't even recognize themselves. It doesn't play well despite the old engine, it doesn't run well because of a immense amount of bugs and glitches. There's not much positive to mention about the newest WWE game, so fans should stay away from this one.
6.8/10

Ugly, unplayable, and filled with glitches, not even the biggest wrestling fan should pick up WWE 2K20 in its current state.
2.8/5

The words and the number, I do not think they match.

Soltype

All AEW has to do now is release a wrestling game with AKI/SynSophia engine, this joke has gone on long enough.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

6.8/10

2.8/5

The words and the number, I do not think they match.
yeah especially the 6.8 made no sense, i bet they gave some average/decent games that score... this game seems way below average

Top Bottom