• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE has dealt with racism before, but fans are chanting ‘that’s too far'

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Couleurs

Wait, I don't follow wrestling so I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

The Indian wrestler guy made some racist sounding remarks against the Japanese wrestler, but this was supposed to be part of an act? And people thought that it went too far?

Yeah. Today's fans know that all of the promos are scripted these days, as opposed to years ago when wrestlers were usually given a couple of bulletpoints of topics to talk about (many times not even that) and came up with their own lines, so when they hear racist bullshit they know it's the company behind it as opposed to the wrestler doing it on his own.

norm9

Does Indians even mock japanese people like that? Will be cool when the WWE drops all their america crap for once, I'm fine with some patriotism, but the WWE really takes it way too far

Wait till they push Jason Jordan. It'll be USA all the way all day every day.

PgMaesQ.jpg

Then they wonder why attendance was so low...??

Wow. This is worse than 1994-95.

Edit:

This was this week: https://twitter.com/AllEyeNeedIsU/status/910309386546946048

Syder

Fuck this company and anyone that gives them money by subscribing to the Trump Network and buying their shitty merchandise.
Nothing racial. It was the simple fact that HHH didnt think Booker T was ready and used his backstage political powers to remain champion. I guess these stories are the reason why you hear about HHH and his golden shovel.
Bad memory because the feud was very close to the bone with racism.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Shinsuke Nakamura is one of the best wrestlers on the planet, became world-renowed for his five-star matches and now he’s being racially mocked on a Smackdown ep no one even attended. Christ.

Nekofrog

Banned
Shinsuke Nakamura is one of the best wrestlers on the planet, became world-renowed for his five-star matches and now he’s being racially mocked on a Smackdown ep no one even attended. Christ.

Yep. Starting to give the side eye to people who are still supporting this. No more in 2017. This shit is getting horrendous on a national level.

sibarraz

Banned
I recall reading that booker lost because he was thinking on retiring around that time, plus the inminent goldberg return.

Saying that, if Vince or HHH knew that, it makes it even more stupid to throw the racist remarks, since there would have not be a payoff against the racists

Fuck this company and anyone that gives them money by subscribing to the Trump Network and buying their shitty merchandise.Bad memory because the feud was very close to the bone with racism.

If anything Vince prob played a part. I don't think hea racist at all. But I do think hes very anal with who becomes champion. Jinder is the first unique champion in a long time. I mean with the WWE tittle that is.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oh, I'm sure this was only a one time thing. I'm pretty certain WWE has neeeever had racially charged moments like that in th-

Piper+1.gif

Oh...right.

Also, heaven's be praised, SUNNY VINCE IS BACK!

Nothing racial. It was the simple fact that HHH didnt think Booker T was ready and used his backstage political powers to remain champion. I guess these stories are the reason why you hear about HHH and his golden shovel.

Triple H too Booker T "Somebody like you doesn't get to be a world champion. People like you don't deserve it. You're not a competitor, you're an entertainer. You're here to make people like me laugh."

Defiantly not racial at all.

Cagey

Banned
Well at least the ISEC can rally this time because they dislike the guilty performer for unrelated reasons.

I mean. This wasn't long ago and barely earned a second glance.

u5lrIPi.gif

Man reading this thread, Im glad the channel that had the WWE rights in my country back when I was a kid only aired the fights and left out all the shit around them.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
At least the fans (all, you know, eight who showed up, but still) rejected this. Just awful.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bad as WWE is, there's other contenders

NJPW:
DKLi6sGV4AAzXgt.jpg:large

PROGRESS Wrestling had a Nazi Staff as its "Heavyweight Staff"
qHp4n0K.jpg

TRNERUT.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
At least the fans (all, you know, eight who showed up, but still) rejected this. Just awful.

There was a full other half of the arena where the photo didn't show. They tarp off sections of it. Selective photo taking.

Don't get me wrong, it's not good to not have a jam-packed arena. But it's selective, these photos.

norm9

There was a full other half of the arena where the photo didn't show. They tarp off sections of it. Selective photo taking.

Don't get me wrong, it's not good to not have a jam-packed arena. But it's selective, these photos.

I didn't want to mention it, but I'm surprised people don't know that the camera side of the arena is usually empty. Good for tv when they do their poses facing the camera, but it's funny because they're preening to the empty side.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is a bit much, really. Those clowns bellowing idiotic insults at one another are actually _scripted_?

If you watch modern day promos...

.....yeah

But they had visual aides and everything. It's very clear it is scripted.

If you watch modern day promos...

.....yeah

But they had visual aides and everything. It's very clear it is scripted.

I've seen odd bits on television and YouTube. I'm usually incredulous that people pay for this, that clown-wrestling is a moneymaking concern. Then again, I find the existence of things like soap opera and reality television inexplicable.

And people wanna know "when's (fill in a talented wrestler name) gonna go to WWE?!"

Stay the fuck away.

cordy

Banned
Poor Jinder. Just let him be himself.

As for this, the company is only gonna see this as something that's working so fuck.

Striker

Triple H too Booker T "Somebody like you doesn't get to be a world champion. People like you don't deserve it. You're not a competitor, you're an entertainer. You're here to make people like me laugh."

Defiantly not racial at all.
He said "Dance for me, Book" and mentioned nappy hair, as well. I mean they were treating all WCW guys like shit but that program became aligned more with unnecessary racial undertone.

He said "Dance for me, Book" and mentioned nappy hair, as well. I mean they were treating all WCW guys like shit but that program became aligned more with unnecessary racial undertone.
15 years later and just reading this pisses me off, wish I could erase that entire feud from memory.

Does Indians even mock japanese people like that? Will be cool when the WWE drops all their america crap for once, I'm fine with some patriotism, but the WWE really takes it way too far

Vince's jingoistic crap was part of what led to WWF's massive success in the 80's, a time when American nationalism was skyrocketing. He's never really been able to break himself of that mental association.

Shauni

He assumed wrong that as one of the biggest stars in the WCW being the champ and all, he probably thought he'd be respected as such.

Nah, he knew. He was well aware that coming to WWE meant he'd be back to starting at square, but he did it anyway to continue working and make the bread. That was a shitty program, but Booker did manage to cut a decent niche for himself in the end, so at least it wasn't all worthless.

Valkrai

This was so odd to watch live. The chant was hilarious but true.

Edit: to be fair to that attendance pic, that side was locked out. No one was permitted to go there.

Tom Nook

I remember this. This was during the week of the London attacks I believe. Wasn't Hassan suppose to be their next big thing? I still remember the heat he got whenever he came out.

Yes it was. That episode was taped on the Tuesday that week, the attacks in London happened on Thursday Morning (London time or Wednesday night USA time). Instead of cutting that segment out, WWE decides to still air that segment on Thursday night Smackdown. Why? I guess Vince love the publicity.

Velcro Fly

A guy who draws most of his heat by saying Americans are racist against brown people then basically goes on an anti Japanese rant two weeks in a row is really fucking dumb, even for WWE.

Shauni

Yes it was. That episode was taped on the Tuesday that week, the attacks in London happened on Thursday Morning (London time or Wednesday night USA time). Instead of cutting that segment out, WWE decides to still air that segment on Thursday night Smackdown. Why? I guess Vince love the publicity.

He must not have loved it that much. The character was basically killed over directly afterward instead of getting the massive push he was planned to

Top Bottom