• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE No Mercy '17 |OT| No Way Out from this No Holds Barred event that gives No Sympy

THE GUY

Banned
Vince better hope Reigns doesn't get injured between now and Mania.

Because he sure is putting all his eggs into that basket.
They're in a much better position now than anytime between 2011-2014. Even if Reigns were to get injured, they still have all of Rollins, Styles, Ambrose, Balor, Owens, Strowman, and Joe to use. That's ignoring the older talent like Cena, Orton, Brock, and Triple H.

They've actually done a good job since 2015 by elevating one or two stars every year. Reigns may be the top guy, but they could easily put on a good card without him too. Just nothing as big as Brock/Reigns.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good PPV, lots of stuff pushed forward in interesting ways. Protected finishers, which a lot of people don't really understand, but that's a big deal. Womens Division is protected. Things are great. Roman went over Cena, don't think it did Roman any good but that's the right outcome.

Good PPV.

espher

I hated the last three matches, overall.

I felt the matches were just not as good as they could have been. Outcomes didn't bother me - how we got there is another story.

Up to that point though, I thought it was a solid PPV.

Mr. Sam

There were two matches on that card that absolutely belonged at a WrestleMania, and yet it still felt like a B-pay-per-view, and that's telling.

Good PPV, lots of stuff pushed forward in interesting ways. Protected finishers, which a lot of people don't really understand, but that's a big deal. Womens Division is protected. Things are great. Roman went over Cena, don't think it did Roman any good but that's the right outcome.

Good PPV.

I agree, Vince.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Smackdown storylines are definitely a lot better at the moment, however. Lots of good motivation.

Alucard

Banned
Works for me.

Btw I love that Bliss essentially cut the same promo style Enzo did but it works better because you know she's a fucking heel.

I feel so burned out on pro wrestling. It's the one thing I listen to people talk about more than actually watch. Asuka might be cool, though.

But I thought the same thing about Nakamura.

I like that every Cena feud is the same

Cena "shoots" on his opponent, laughs everything off, wins or loses and then cuts a I respect you bro promo.

THE GUY

Banned

Good PPV.
I think the only mistake was the way they booked the finishing sequence of Brock/Strowman. I thought it was pretty smart utilizing the Kimura to make it seem like Strowman couldn't capitalize on his finisher, but then they actually had him do a third finisher, and have Brock kick out anyway.

It would've been smarter to have Brock kick out of the second, but not let Strowman able to cover after the third. Then Brock can do the F5 and win. It's still a clean victory, but is more in line with Reigns/Strowman where it felt like Reigns only won because Strowman made a mistake.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think the only mistake was the way they booked the finishing sequence of Brock/Strowman. I thought it was pretty smart utilizing the Kimura to make it seem like Strowman couldn't capitalize on his finisher, but then they actually had him do a third finisher, and have Brock kick out anyway.

It would've been smarter to have Brock kick out of the second, but not let Strowman able to cover after the third. Then Brock can do the F5 and win. It's still a clean victory, but is more in line with Reigns/Strowman where it felt like Reigns only won because Strowman made a mistake.

Can't disagree. The match could have been planned out a bit better to keep Strowman losing this match without losing some of his mystique.

Risette

A Good Citizen
started really strong then ended on a lolwwe sour note.

now I remember why I cancelled. I'll make use of the three free months at least.

THE GUY

Banned
I didn't watch their match yet, but Cena is being ridiculous here. WTF?
Just makes no sense because it's made Reigns break the asshole character he's had for 18 months. It's because they built a "shoot" story that is clearly opposite of what the reality is, and now Cena is basically doing the expected thing and trying to fit that into all the nonsense he said earlier. None of it fits. This entire story has been a mess. Worked shoot promos are a joke and a crutch for being unable to tell an actual story. Always keep it kayfabe. This story would've made sense in 2015. In 2017, Cena has been long replaced.

Just makes no sense because it's made Reigns break the asshole character he's had for 18 months. It's because they built a "shoot" story that is clearly opposite of what the reality is, and now Cena is basically doing the expected thing and trying to fit that into all the nonsense he said earlier. None of it fits. This entire story has been a mess. Shoot promos are a joke and a crutch for being unable to tell an actual story. Always keep it kayfabe. This story would've made sense in 2015. In 2017, Cena has been long replaced.

Welcome to every John Cena feud

cordy

Banned
Reigns is officially The Guy now.

But with that said I'll watch less Raw as the time goes on. These past few months it's become far easier and the more they fuck up the easier it is.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Enjoyed the show, main event underwhelmed a little bit but hey, they can build on that.

Not a fan of how Enzo and Bliss bury people in their promos. You have to build opponents to make them credible.

Also really dislike how a babyface makes fun of people for being ugly, not a good look.

"Nobody ever steps up to take my place!"
"Top 'face' I'm going to shoot on you and you best not respond whilst I giggle at you"
"Gee, this kid finally stepped it up and deserves my spot. Just let me go film this movie but ya'll know I I eat, sleep and breath WWE!"

2 months later:

"This company needs me because nobody steps up!"

Enjoyed the show, main event underwhelmed a little bit but hey, they can build on that.

Not a fan of how Enzo and Bliss bury people in their promos. You have to build opponents to make them credible.

Also really dislike how a babyface makes fun of people for being ugly, not a good look.

Bliss built up Asuka who is likely going to come in and kill her. The story here literally is that no one can keep Bliss down... Asuka will.

She's also a heel.

Shauni

"Nobody ever steps up to take my place!"
"Top 'face' I'm going to shoot on you and you best not respond whilst I giggle at you"
"Gee, this kid finally stepped it up and deserves my spot. Just let me go film this movie but ya'll know I I eat, sleep and breath WWE!"

2 months later:

"This company needs me because nobody steps up!"

What movie is he supposed to be filming now?

THE GUY

Banned
Can't disagree. The match could have been planned out a bit better to keep Strowman losing this match without losing some of his mystique.
Definitely.

I think people don't give Reigns or Show the credit they deserve for making Strowman look good. A good wrestler knows how to pace a match and cover their opponent's flaws. Reigns and Show did a fantastic job of that. Even though Strowman dominated, it was Reigns and Show who very much led the matches and broke up the onslaught so it wasn't entirely in his hands. That keeps the pace going and communication continues.

The Cena/Strowman match showed how green Strowman still was. A lot of points in that match where he wasn't sure what to do, and Cena didn't cover well for him because he's always been terrible with match flow. Strowman was just standing around confused at two points because Cena was basically playing completely dead instead of actually disrupting the pace and communicating with the guy.

Strowman is a good monster character, but you have to book him well. He's not at that stage where he's going the whole nine yards by himself.

It's why I think they messed up a little here. They've done a great job of booking him since he got involved with Reigns, and a little tweak in the finishing sequence would've been perfect to keep him looking good tonight.

Although I do think the crowd hurt the match a little too. The ending feels weird and abrubt for that reason too. They weren't very loud and seemed to quieten down shortly into it. They never really picked up again. I feel this match would've played better somewhere like New York or Chicago.

Definitely.

I think people don't give Reigns or Show the credit they deserve for making Strowman look good. A good wrestler knows how to pace a match and cover their opponent's flaws. Reigns and Show did a fantastic job of that. Even though Strowman dominated, it was Reigns and Show who very much led the match and broke up the onslaught so it wasn't entirely in his hands. That keeps the pace going and communication continues.

The Cena/Strowman match showed how green Strowman still was. A lot of points in that match where he wasn't sure what to do, and Cena didn't cover well for him because he's always been terrible with match flow. Strowman was just standing around confused at two points because Cena was basically playing completely dead instead of actually disrupting the pace and communicating with the guy.

Strowman is a good monster character, but you have to book him well. He's not at that stage where he's going the whole nine yards by himself.

It's why I think they messed up a little here. They've done a great job of booking him since he got involved with Reigns, and a little tweak in the finishing sequence would've been perfect to keep him looking good tonight.

Although I do think the crowd hurt the match a little too. The ending feels weird and abrubt for that reason too. They weren't very loud and seemed to quieten down shortly into it. They never really picked up again. I feel this match would've played better somewhere like New York or Chicago.

Lesnar made Strowman look like a million bucks. It was the finish that sucked but that's not on Lesnar

ReiGun

I'd have an easier time liking Roman Reigns if they'd stop being so pushy about telling me I should like Roman Reigns.

As is, I remain mostly indifferent.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Bliss built up Asuka who is likely going to come in and kill her. The story here literally is that no one can keep Bliss down... Asuka will.

She's also a heel.

[mocking]Whos next, Alicia Fox?[/mocking]

Thats what I have a problem with, especially since Fox is a great performer. Even as a heel you have to make it sound like beating your competition would take some effort, otherwise youre just working for yourself (Jericho mentioned how that was one of his big mistakes as a rookie)

The rest was fine.

Top Bottom