• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam 2016 |OT| The Flo Rida Concert Is Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a work and that's a shoot.

Really, I don't know if Ric Flair and Cody Rhodes hate it when people use their lingo or if they're being facetious. But I read an interview with Ric Flair in which he chides if not outright berates the interviewer for using wrestling slang.

I've tried to find this interview again, but have had no luck.

Wrestlers have always been ultra defensive about their craft, and old school guys like flair still wanna maintain that it is more or less a sport . I mean look at the marks when Connor said something about them. It always feels like there is a huge inferiority complex between wrestlers and real sports like football, boxing or mma.

KingBroly

Banned
makes sense. didn't realize Orton had an issue with his shoulder. Good guy Brock!

Shit almost forgot about this amazing Summerslam moment!

gotjuice.gif

What I love about this is Brock clearly gets a split second look at it then IMMEDIATELY ignores it until he passes it.

Down the line I would have loved for them to bring Joe up, make him a complete badass and have him feud with Brock but after the last NXT night that's about as good an idea as a chocolate fireguard.

I don't know who they have iin line for Brock next but it better not be fucking Roman...

Toki767

Down the line I would have loved for them to bring Joe up, make him a complete badass and have him feud with Brock but after the last NXT night that's about as good an idea as a chocolate fireguard.

I don't know who they have iin line for Brock next but it better not be fucking Roman...

Judging by the end of the show...probably Shane

JustinBB7

They're gonna suspend him again for attacking Shane, so he can take another break till Survivor Series or Rumble. They do it all the time to save his contract days lol.

Joe would be a great fued, but I still think Brock would win out. Ultimately, I think nakamura should be the guy to get a clean win over lesnar.

dream

They're gonna suspend him again for attacking Shane, so he can take another break till Survivor Series or Rumble. They do it all the time to save his contract days lol.

It's fantastic, 70s-style booking. The man who is too dangerous for WWE. In an ideal world, he beats a Nevada suspension, gets another fight in against someone like Ben Rothwell, all while WWE is pushing him as someone we'll never see again because he's just too savage and violent.

I think it was exactly what was supposed to happen. We're a month out from watching Brock win a shoot fight against the #8 ranked HW in the world. You can't have him look like just another fake wrestler because he's not just another fake wrestler, nobody believes he's just another fake wrestler, and he shouldn't have to do fake wrestler stuff like hook the leg for the pin or get rolled up in a schoolboy.

strobogo of legitshook.com, one of the best wrestling writers on the Internet, wrote this in his coverage of Summerslam, and I think he absolutely nails it:

Look at the way wrestlinggaf, who proclaims itself to be "smart" or "inside" fans is reacting to the match. That's because they know Brock is something different from an Adrian Neville or an Antonio Cesaro.
I don't normally agree with you and stro on these type of "smark" matters, but you two are absolutely on the mark here. Everything about this match felt extra real, even those "botched" german suplexes and goddamn it worked perfectly.

Imagine if Brock broke the streak with this kind of match. The internet wrestling community would have lit themselves on fire.

Hex

Banned
I genuinely thought that WWE would hand Brock a loss as a token hand slap for the failed piss tests.
Ok you are not taking money from him even though the entire world knows he pissed hot.
Ok you are not suspending him even though the entire world knows that he pissed hot.
Ok you just suspended a number of other people for pissing hot, but you are still not going to do anything to Brock....
Just have him show up, talk about how he doesn't give a shit about anyone in the locker room or anyone on the roster and take money and job out your "stars".

Unfortunately now WWE has visions of golden sugar plums and a Mania match between Goldberg and Brock so Brock will get treated like a king.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
My issue with the Brock match isn't the finish. It's that the match preceding that finish sucked. It wasn't exciting. Randy should have had more offense than he did, there should have been more of a story to the match and there should have been a badass RKO out of the F5 spot. Lesnar getting frustrated at the end and deciding to just beat Orton to a blood pulp is a fine finish. But the match preceding it didn't earn that finish and in the end the match was just a disappointing mess leaving me saying "That was it?"

Mahonay

Banned
My issue with the Brock match isn't the finish. It's that the match preceding that finish sucked. It wasn't exciting. Randy should have had more offense than he did, there should have been more of a story to the match and there should have been a badass RKO out of the F5 spot. Lesnar getting frustrated at the end and deciding to just beat Orton to a blood pulp is a fine finish. But the match preceding it didn't earn that finish and in the end the match was just a disappointing mess leaving me saying "That was it?"
My exact feelings on the match. Wasted potential galore.

If you are going to book Brock this strong then you have to have a purpose. Brock doesn't appear on Raw enough to increase Raw ratings and he doesn't wrestle house shows. Brock doesn't have any kind of significant impact on the buyrates and attendance of PPVs he does wrestle on. So what is the endgame here? What is his purpose? The only reason he exists is to give someone a huge rub, but nobody is even close to him because nobody else is allowed to be booked like him. Having him mutilate Randy Orton is great, but it needs to have a purpose.

Mahonay

Banned
If you are going to book Brock this strong then you have to have a purpose. Brock doesn't appear on Raw enough to increase Raw ratings and he doesn't wrestle house shows. Brock doesn't have any kind of significant impact on the buyrates and attendance of PPVs he does wrestle on. So what is the endgame here? What is his purpose? The only reason he exists is to give someone a huge rub, but nobody is even close to him because nobody else is allowed to be booked like him. Having him mutilate Randy Orton is great, but it needs to have a purpose.
Again, another good post that highlights the issue most people have with the match.

Lothar

Banned
http://rajah.com/node/53123

As noted earlier today, Finn Balor suffered an injury during his match with Seth Rollins at last night's SummerSlam pay-per-view.

According to Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline.com, the injury is believed to have happened when Rollins powerbombed Balor into the barricades outside the ring.

I can't believe that Rollins is still allowed to do his stupid running powerbomb. I'm still pissed that he ended Sting's career with it. Will he stop it now that it's apparent that he sucks at doing it?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It was those suplexes that actually gave me hope early on that they were going to make Orton look good and be somewhat competitive in this match. He looked like he was actually trying not to let Lesnar suplex him. He's attempting to put up a fight. I was interested in where the match would go. Then it went nowhere.

sora87

Good point, it all seemed very disjointed and rushed to the ultra violent finish when really Randy didn't push Brock THAT much for him to see red like that.

Cagey

Banned
Pro Wrestling. Where all the moves look super real.

It did work at least with the match story they were telling.
It's Brock Lesnar. His character is "I'm a Real One in a Fake World." His moves should look real. His opponents should be squirming and resisting every step of the way and still getting thrown around like a ragdoll.

That's not Nakamura and Joe. What works for one doesn't work for the other.

They both look great for different reasons.

Mahonay

Banned
http://rajah.com/node/53123

I can't believe that Rollins is still allowed to do his stupid running powerbomb. I'm still pissed that he ended Sting's career with it. Will he stop it now that it's apparent that he sucks at doing it?
I find that pro wrestlers have pretty obnoxious levels of pride when it comes to their move sets.

I'm not confident that Rollins will stop after this. Maybe someone in the office will request he stops using it.
It's Brock Lesnar. His character is "I'm a Real One in a Fake World." His moves should look real. His opponents should be squirming and resisting every step of the way and still getting thrown around like a ragdoll.

That's not Nakamura and Joe. What works for one doesn't work for the other.

They both look great for different reasons.
I know I was just being facetious since it's pro wrestling. It worked for the match.

Literally right before this match, they had Reigns go crazy and beat Rusev so badly their title bout couldn't happen.

I have no doubts that they're still planning to have him go over Lesnar.

dream

Long ago, before people like Will Ospreay came along, the goal of pro wrestling was to simulate a fight between two human beings, in which one person won by physically incapacitating his or her opponent to the point where he or she could not get up from underneath for three seconds.

kiguel182

Ziggler did the best he could. Ambrose just shits the bed when he gets in the ring. Sucks for Ziggler after s good build.

Now, if Styles can't have a good match with him no one can.

Literally right before this match, they had Reigns go crazy and beat Rusev so badly their title bout couldn't happen.

I have no doubts that they're still planning to have him go over Lesnar.

Which would be a huge waste because they've already ruined Roman. He could beat 1986 Hulk Hogan and it still wouldn't get him over.

This is why WCW and the territories shutting down hurts wrestling so much. Roman could go to WCW for a year and come back and be a huge star but if he continues wrestling in the WWE week in and week out then people will never stop hating him at this point.

cordy

Banned
Tbh...

I think the majority of the "Ambrose doesn't have good matches" comments are just Ambrose dislikers (not gonna use haters) saying they dislike Ambrose. If you go down his PPV list this year you'll see the only PPV matches he's had that have been bad were the Lesnar match, the Jericho Asylum match and the match last night with Ziggler. Each make sense. All the other matches have been damn good. Ambrose and Ziggler have faced each other at least 3 times besides last night these past 9 months on tv and each match has been pretty good. Last night was the only time it wasn't which makes sense when all the other matches were more back and forth rather than Ambrose dominating like last night. They worked a different style of match compared to how they usually work. Ziggler last night for example, he was working completely different than how he usually worked in their other matches.

I get people can dislike him and his style, that's cool. I understand how. You just gotta have some sense here as to why some of his matches are bad.

It feels like people have forgotten Ambrose/Ziggler's other matches they've had. I think people should peep their Raw/SD matches together to see how they really work. They were far better than last night.You'll enjoy them. No offense to anyone but yeah...
He deserves it. Does Bret still have a podcast?

Yep. He also brings up Rollins in interviews a good amount too so yeah...he ain't gonna be happy.

Dinokill

LOL at the people getting worked out about the Brock/Orton match.

Brock Lesnar should always look real. Everything about him should look like a shoot; Busting people open, cursing in interviews and doing that kind of shit to make it look like he is off the script. I hope for his next match he smashes some skull with a steel chair. I would love to see the reactions here.

Pikma

Banned

Brock Lesnar should always look real. Everything about him should look like a shoot; Busting people open, cursing in interviews and doing that kind of shit to make it look like he is off the script. I hope for his next match he smashes some skull with a steel chair. I would love to see the reactions here.
What the fuck, you're really asking for chair shots to the head?

cordy

Banned

Lord...

https://twitter.com/shanemcmahon/status/767798447588114432

Looks like you might get your wish. RIP Shane.

Pro wrestling in general should always look real.

It's just strange that they only allow one person to portray it that way

MisterR

Tbh...

I think the majority of the "Ambrose doesn't have good matches" comments are just Ambrose dislikers (not gonna use haters) saying they dislike Ambrose. If you go down his PPV list this year you'll see the only PPV matches he's had that have been bad were the Lesnar match, the Jericho Asylum match and the match last night with Ziggler. Each make sense. All the other matches have been damn good. Ambrose and Ziggler have faced each other at least 3 times besides last night these past 9 months on tv and each match has been pretty good. Last night was the only time it wasn't which makes sense when all the other matches were more back and forth rather than Ambrose dominating like last night. They worked a different style of match compared to how they usually work. Ziggler last night for example, he was working completely different than how he usually worked in their other matches.

I get people can dislike him and his style, that's cool. I understand how. You just gotta have some sense here as to why some of his matches are bad.

It feels like people have forgotten Ambrose/Ziggler's other matches they've had. I think people should peep their Raw/SD matches together to see how they really work. They were far better than last night.You'll enjoy them. No offense to anyone but yeah...

Yep. He also brings up Rollins in interviews a good amount too so yeah...he ain't gonna be happy.

To be honest Ambrose just sucks in the ring. He's goofy and his offense looks extremely weak and ineffectual. It's fine if you like him, but he's factually awful.

Dinokill

Lord...

https://twitter.com/shanemcmahon/status/767798447588114432

Looks like you might get your wish. RIP Shane.

Shane vs Brock Lesnar Three Stage Of Hell(Street fight, TLC and Hell in a Cell). Brock Lesnar destroys shane so bad that his entire extended family runs to the ring to beg Brock to stop the carnage to only have Brock dismantle every McMahon in sight and take over the WWE.

RAW featuring Brock Lesnar
Smackdown starring Brock Lesnar.
NXT without Brock Lesnar because Brock Lesnar Does Not Give A Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom