• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Trailer 2

Uhtred

TqIEnYB.gif

oagboghi2

So apparently the screen writer for X-Men 3: the last stand is the director behind this, and this movie is based off a spec script he wrote for that. It's his directorial debut

This movie is based off a old script that he floated around after X2, but Singer and Fox decided to go in a different direction.

This movie....could be the next Avatar: The last airbender type trainwreck. I kinda wanna watch it now for the potential lols

mcjmetroid

Unfortunately I watched this trailer after "the wandering earth" Chinese Sci fi movie.

And this suffered. A very uninspired trailer. I want this film to be great but I have a very bad feeling about it.

Grinchy

Banned
Man this looks worse than Apocalypse and Sophie Turner is legit abysmal in this trailer footage. Unless this turns out to be a surprise then I'm relegating this to netflix while mega-bored viewing.
Apocalypse is one of the first superhero movies I can remember seeing at the theater where I felt bored. It kinda marked the end of the X-men cinematic universe for me. Maybe Disney can make it good again down the road.

Apocalypse is one of the first superhero movies I can remember seeing at the theater where I felt bored. It kinda marked the end of the X-men cinematic universe for me. Maybe Disney can make it good again down the road.

One of my main issues with Fox X-Men is just the timeline stopped making sense. I am sure someone who is a fan and has it all charted can tell me I am wrong, but it just seemed needlessly convoluted.

From what I understand, all these films exist together. From X-Men 1 to Wolverine Origins to Days of Future Past to Logan. Correct me if I am wrong but I was led to believe they are all on the same "timeline."

Assuming that is true, some of these characters/character interactions make zero sense.

Doom85

One of my main issues with Fox X-Men is just the timeline stopped making sense. I am sure someone who is a fan and has it all charted can tell me I am wrong, but it just seemed needlessly convoluted.

From what I understand, all these films exist together. From X-Men 1 to Wolverine Origins to Days of Future Past to Logan. Correct me if I am wrong but I was led to believe they are all on the same "timeline."

Assuming that is true, some of these characters/character interactions make zero sense.

Nah, there's separate timelines. X-men 1-3/First Class/The Wolverine/DOFP before the time reset are in one timeline (Origins: Wolverine is non-canon). Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix follow the new timeline set by the end of DOFP. Logan is in a completely separate timeline since it can't be the first timeline as Logan's world condition doesn't include any Sentinels, but also can't be the new timeline because they mention in Logan that there had been no new mutants in 25 years but in the epilogue to DOFP there are kids all over the place.

It's a bit convoluted but honestly it's still easier than trying to follow the many times DC and Marvel have had alternate earths, alternate timelines, cosmic retcons, etc. in the actual comics.

Nah, there's separate timelines. X-men 1-3/First Class/The Wolverine/DOFP before the time reset are in one timeline (Origins: Wolverine is non-canon). Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix follow the new timeline set by the end of DOFP. Logan is in a completely separate timeline since it can't be the first timeline as Logan's world condition doesn't include any Sentinels, but also can't be the new timeline because they mention in Logan that there had been no new mutants in 25 years but in the epilogue to DOFP there are kids all over the place.

It's a bit convoluted but honestly it's still easier than trying to follow the many times DC and Marvel have had alternate earths, alternate timelines, cosmic retcons, etc. in the actual comics.

In my opinion it’s very convoluted especially when the same characters/actors from both timelines share the screen in DOFP. If everything after is a clean slate from “time reset,” ok, that’s fine, but I still don’t think it has been handled well at all and that’s just my opinion.

I’m glad MCU is handling these characters moving forward.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the Disney/Fox deal, but I'm guessing the usual Marvel writers had no part in this. Is this a contractual obligation?

JimiNutz

Banned
You can't build a film around Sophie Turner as the lead. I'm sure she's a lovely person in real life but at this stage in her career she is just not a good enough actress to carry a movie.

Bad main actress in lead, cheesy special effects and rumours of a bad script being executed by a director with no previous experience... If this turns out to be anything other than shit it will be impressive.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lets see what its dealing with domestically:

Opening Weekend:
- Godzilla King of Monsters weekend 2. Don't think this one is much of a threat. People who want to see Godzilla will see it week 1. Not to mention it did Xmen Apocalypse numbers, which isn't bad but isn't great.
- Secret Life of Pets 2. This one is dangerous. The amount of girlfriends & kids who will want to see this instead of Dark Phoenix is not a small amount.

Weekend 2:
- Secret Life of Pets 2 weekend 2.
- Men in Black 4 opening weekend. Hard to gauge but safe to say it will at least do decent.

Did anyone see that video/news/whatever where McAvoy says they had to reshoot the whole ending because the original was "too similar to another superhero movie?"

kunonabi

Did anyone see that video/news/whatever where McAvoy says they had to reshoot the whole ending because the original was "too similar to another superhero movie?"

Word on the street is it was too close to Captain Marvel with them fighting enemy spaceships and shapeshifting aliens. Of course, there wasnt much of a battle to begin with in CM so it seems silly to me that they changed it.

Word on the street is it was too close to Captain Marvel with them fighting enemy spaceships and shapeshifting aliens. Of course, there wasnt much of a battle to begin with in CM so it seems silly to me that they changed it.

Yeah an EW article from April confirms the third act was originally outer space. "...and shoot a new third act (instead of taking place in space, the climax finds all the X-Men kidnapped and on board a military train)". And y'know, that's just as compelling and visually interesting. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

kunonabi

didnt watch, but probably more like "fans unhappy with Storm Actress"

id rather they de-aged halle berry. and I am NOT a Halle Berry fan.

The Storn actress has been pretty vocal about she needs to have a bigger focus on her and alredy made comments that she should be Storm in the MCU.

It really sucks that Hollywood has so much trouble casting Storm. Should have just used Angela Basset when they had the chance.

Before watching, be warned that Grace has a habit of “imply spoilering” or “reference spoilering” movies in her non-spoiler reviews. I’ve only watched the first 30 seconds of this where she says the movie is “surprisingly watchable” and that’s all I was looking to hear so closed it out

Edit

Stuckmann

Last edited:

sol_bad

I just stepped out of the cinema from seeing this. I'm too lazy to go in to depth but it was so damn boring. Lots of talky talky scenes with characters that have no personality and music that makes the scenes feel like they are dragging on.

We barely got to know Jean, Scott, Ororo and Kurt in Apocalypse. This movie runs full speed ahead without letting us learn about them again.

The action scenes that are there are interesting but also have some questionable decisions.

It's a big meh from me, I might divulge further when I get home.

Ulysses 31

Before watching, be warned that Grace has a habit of “imply spoilering” or “reference spoilering” movies in her non-spoiler reviews. I’ve only watched the first 30 seconds of this where she says the movie is “surprisingly watchable” and that’s all I was looking to hear so closed it out

Edit

Stuckmann

For balance

Orpheum

Prrrrrrp.

EYWK12F.png

The franchise is all over the place. The movies range from amazing to kinda cool to downright awful. Truly a sight to behold. With Dark Phoenix i expected nothing and the reviews so far seem to prove it

MetalAlien

Banned
I'm hearing they dropped some woke scenes in the movie mostly to do with the X-men name. Seems the franchise might not be called X-men going forward...

More money I save...

kunonabi

Chastain is also playing a gender bent character from the comics. Still the least of the movie's problems based of the summary I've read.

I'm hearing they dropped some woke scenes in the movie mostly to do with the X-men name. Seems the franchise might not be called X-men going forward...

More money I save...

Aren't the X-Men themselves a political metaphor, and have been since day one of their comics? Hasn't some form of a political aspect been in every X-Men film with the exception of The Wolverine?

kunonabi

Aren't the X-Men themselves a political metaphor, and have been since day one of their comics? Hasn't some form of a political aspect been in every X-Men film with the exception of The Wolverine?

No they weren't. It was more of a useful coincidence and they didnt really lean into it until like the 80s.

MetalAlien

Banned
Everyone has a level of tolerance to Hollywood (Marvel) preaching. Mine has been exceeded.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
there are just too many damn comic book movies. i actually liked X-Men Apocalypse but i only just gave the Avengers 3 hours of my life just a few weeks ago. ffs.

growing up, i kind of felt that all major franchises only had 2 good movies. Terminator. Aliens. TMNT. Batman. Ghostbusters. Jurassic Park. Star Wars. The Matrix.

but this need to endlessly pump out sequels, it's like, every new movie that comes out, i care less and less. it is like when you repeat a word over and over again, it looses all meaning, it just becomes a series of sounds, grotesque, absurd, gratuitous.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
there are just too many damn comic book movies. i actually liked X-Men Apocalypse but i only just gave the Avengers 3 hours of my life just a few weeks ago. ffs.

growing up, i kind of felt that all major franchises only had 2 good movies. Terminator. Aliens. TMNT. Batman. Ghostbusters. Jurassic Park. Star Wars. The Matrix.

but this need to endlessly pump out sequels, it's like, every new movie that comes out, i care less and less. it is like when you repeat a word over and over again, it looses all meaning, it just becomes a series of sounds, grotesque, absurd, gratuitous.

Counter point... I wish a new one came out every month.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Why am I not surprised that the same people are crying about feminism and the fact that they hate comic movies.

People crying about the feminism aspect, it was literally 1 line in the whole film. It actually made me role my eyes but I got over it 30 seconds later. That one line is the least of this films problem.

People crying over comic films, we get it, you hate them. So make your own life better and stop going in to comic movie based threads. Your lives and the lives of people that love these films will vastly improve.

Top Bottom