• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men is “outdated”

"I don't know where the future is going," Alonso told Nuke the Fridge. "Its funny that people call it the X-Men... there's a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group; I think it's outdated."

While only a snippet, it just shows, again how people think. “Men” is in the term Women and is obviously used in other terms like mankind etc. and of all of the comic teams, X-Men has always had a quite large representation of Women.

Also bonus double cringe: IGN and a terrible clip. Skip to about 2:10ish for the goods.

So yeah.

X-Women!

Last edited:

Sybrix

If we're all honest with ourselfs, all the X-Men films (excluding Logan) have been mediorce at best, yes even X-Men 1 2 and 3.

The new(ish) X-Men films with James McAvoy et al are really not good, Apocalypse was the worst and Dark Phoenix looks meh at best.

I think X-Men can survive and thrive in the hands of good film makers in this genre.....Disney

If we're all honest with ourselfs, all the X-Men films (excluding Logan) have been mediorce at best, yes even X-Men 1 2 and 3.

The new(ish) X-Men films with James McAvoy et al are really not good, Apocalypse was the worst and Dark Phoenix looks meh at best.

I think X-Men can survive and thrive in the hands of good film makers in this genre.....Disney

You...didn’t read the post did ya?

cryptoadam

Banned
Woke it till you Broke it I guess.

We should set up a bureaucracy to tell us all the trigger words and have them replace them. We need protection from the evils of words like X-Men or Owner.

I think X2 was legit good, but otherwise I completely agree with you.

I think if you found a superhero team, you get to name it whatever you want.

I am naming my superhero team the X-Cunths

Who's in?

Last edited:

Doom85

Or, you know, I actually think X-men 1 is decent, X-men 2 is great, First Class is great, The Wolverine is pretty good, and Days of Future Past is excellent. WTF is this "be honest with yourself" bullshit. Oh yes, I've been lying to myself about a bunch of movies, some of them for over a decade, because apparently I'm a masochist who enjoys re-watching movies I don't actually like. Seriously, are people incapable of expressing their own opinion (about fucking movies of all things) without adding that basically everyone's opinion must also match theirs?

Also the fact that you include X-men 3 as a "yes, even that one" is perplexing as most fans disliked that movie. Kelsey Grammar is Beast is excellent, honestly probably in my top 10 best superhero casting choices, but he's the sole gem in a pile of shit.

bitbydeath

Men is inside of women.

giphy.gif

oagboghi2

So this is how Marvel executives see the x-men franchise, a month before they reboot the comicbook line again, and apparently wipe out the history of the past books.

God, go fuck yourself marvel....

juliotendo

I’m pretty sure nobody with a normal brain looks at “X-Men” and thinks “Gee that sure is sexist!”

Only mental midgets and leftist freaks think like this. X-Men is just X-Men, and when I think of X-Men I think of superhero mutants whether they be Wolverine,Gambit,Rogue, or Storm...Gender doesn’t cross my mind... nor does their sexual preference.....

But then again like I said — I’m not a leftist freak or blue haired lesbian feminist that PROJECTS my weird sexual and gender fantasies onto everything.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
man
(măn)
n. pl. men(mĕn)
1. An adult male human.
2. A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
A human or an adult male human belonging to a specific occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: a milkman; a congressman; a freeman.
4. The human race; mankind: man's quest for peace.

sol_bad

I don't know who this woman is, she seems to be an executive producer so probably has barely anything to do with any of the films.
I'm fine if they call the films X-Force, X-Factor, X-Statix, New Mutants or any other names they have been called in the comics.

Probably better to distance themselves from the X-Men branding after Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix anyway.

rbanke

during the mid 90's PC push i remember having a conversation with someone that they arent mailwomen, firewomen, policewomen, much less <thing>person. The job title is mailman, fireman, policeman, etc. You can have a female policeman, a female actor is still an actor. ~25 years later, still feel this way. It would be so nice to move beyond words and pay attention to intent of what people say.

Barsinister

Banned
The book was always called "X-Men", yes? It gained it's popularity and acclaim with that name also? People look fondly at the old stories written thirty or so years back with fondness? Those books inspired the writers of today, I assume? So, the idea is that it's now "outdated" and needs to be completely ripped to the foundation and built back up as something wholly different? Does that make it a new thing or an old thing, I wonder?

Reactions: 888
These retards really can't understand that in some contexts "Men" can collectively refer to both men and women?

It's just how the English language works.
The modern feminist doesn't operate on context. They simply see the word "man" and begin to seethe.

Really though, I do wonder what their plan is for other languages (like Spanish) where the masculine form of words almost always takes precedence over feminine.

TTOOLL

Logan is good, the rest is trash. They should adapt the 90s cartoon. That's the X-Men everybody knows and loves.

The modern feminist doesn't operate on context. They simply see the word "man" and begin to seethe.

Really though, I do wonder what their plan is for other languages (like Spanish) where the masculine form of words almost always takes precedence over feminine.

And context is only like, one of the most important aspects of language.

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds like they're making drama out of nothing. No one in their godamn minds think as X-men as a bunch of men.

Its a group with awesome super-hero mutants, both men and women. If you don't know that you probably don't watch or read.

Reactions: 888

Kenpachii

X-LGBTIQCAPGNGFNBA

That actually exists not a joke.

I would however laugh super hard when a new movie will push all the woman out and make a statement. Yes indeed woman didn't make much sense in this series.

For maximum trigger.

Sounds like they're making drama out of nothing. No one in their godamn minds think as X-men as a bunch of men.

Its a group with awesome super-hero mutants, both men and women. If you don't know that you probably don't watch or read.

That's what a nazi would say.

/s

Last edited:
They should call it something like X-Factor, or X-Force, or New Mutants, or Excalibur, or something cool like that. Those sound like much better names with real staying power, unlike X-Men.

Falcs

Banned
So fucking stupid.

The word human is also outdated, right?
Can we please change it to huperson!! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
So fucking stupid.

The word human is also outdated, right?
Can we please change it to huperson!! Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Huperson??

No. No fuckin way!
Fuck you!!

WHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Top Bottom