• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

Parl

Karma Kramer said:
PS2 vs. Xbox vs. Gamecube ----> Rinse and repeat ---> Wii vs PS3 vs 360

oh wait.

Exactly. PS2 sells more in the early stages, and maintains lead. Now Wii is selling more.

Parl said:
Exactly. PS2 sells more in the early stages, and maintains lead. Now Wii is selling more.

And also noteworthy is that in each of the console's first 8 months, Wii is selling at a slightly faster pace, despite being supply constrained.

nextgeneration said:
Yes, month on month basis for each of the console's first 8 months, including the months of November and December. If we were to remove those months, the outsell ratio would go above 2, but would not be anywhere near 4.

The PS2 was selling well above 200k/monthly from January through July.

So would 3-1 be fair? Or maybe like 2.5-1? :p

Anyway... I am off to bed. Any responses, personal attacks, or personal donations you may have, please post/give and I will gladly respond/accept when I wake up in the morning.

:)

RyuHayate

If it wasn't clear for the past few months, it's obvious now that Sony is ****ED this holiday season with the price drop thrown in the mix.

My 2 cents worth:

Yes, $100 would be better, but any price cut before Madden, Halo 3 and especially GTA IV is gonna be good for MS.

To be honest after the introduction of the Elite, and the fact that the 360 stayed flat at 40k a week June, I didn't expect a price drop until November - milking as many sales at top dollar from Halo 3 and GTA.

However, if Sporks is correct and the Core isn't dropping by the same as the Premium, then MS is certifiably insane:-

The Core is known as the Tard pack because it offers far less value than the Premium (mainly due to the retarded accessory pricing)

So rather than make the Core a better deal to attract the PS2 owners that will want GTA IV, and aren't interested in online, or Xbox live etc, they make it EVEN MORE RETARDED!! :lol :lol

The Core at the very least should be $249.99, preferrably with a Memory Card bundled. If they only reduce it to say $269.99, they must change the pack contents and at least add a 64mb memory card and wireless controller.

The Core is about to be rechristened.

The Vegetable Pack?
Super-Tard Pack?

Any improvements?
:lol :lol :lol

quest

Not Banned from OT
Even though 50 dollars is weak the timing could not be better. To be prominent in the ads the week madden comes out is brilliant.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have been waiting for this news. I have a gift card from my last dead X360 and this will definitely help. I plan on picking up an Elite that was made in July of this year (crosses fingers I find one before Bioshock).

gollumsluvslave said:
However, if Sporks is correct and the Core isn't dropping by the same as the Premium, then MS is certifiably insane:
Absolutely. The sad thing is that as little sense as it makes I'm fully expecting him to be right.

Core at anything above $279 with the premium at $349 = Stupid.
Elite at anything above $399 with the premium at $349 = Stupid.

They'd be better off just dumping the core at that stage.

[Edit - Had core price wrong]

I have it coming from a reliable source that CURRENTLY

The Core will drop to 279
The Premium will drop to 349
The Elite will drop to 449

This will clear out the inventory of the Premium which is the most manufactured 360 and the most sold as they know Premium will sell the most until the demand for Elites pick up in 2008. Elites and Cores have relatively the same manufacturing percentage: low at the moment until FALL this year.

When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced.

EDIT: Clearing out inventory of 90nm so they mostly have 65nm on shelves this holiday season

Gattsu25

Banned
artredis1980 said:

This will clear out the inventory of the Premium which is the most manufactured 360 and the most sold as they know Premium will sell the most until the demand for Elites pick up in 2008. Elites and Cores have relatively the same manufacturing percentage: low at the moment until FALL this year.

When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced
ahh

this reminds me of the ozy prediction. hold off on buying the console waiting for the second price drop

meh

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm late to the thread so please forgive me if this has been posted but there is a Toys R Us ad up at a certain site that is banned (starts with J).

artredis1980 said:

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced.

EDIT: Clearing out inventory of 90nm so they mostly have 65nm on shelves this holiday season
Makes sense. Can you tell us where your source is from, Microsoft or retail?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
artredis1980 said:

I haven't heard any of the stuff concerning 299 premiums and the falcon.

artredis1980 said:

So its one price cut for the Halo Nation, one price cut for the GTA4 Crowd.

I hope the people who pick the 360 for Madden, Halo, Bioshock don't mind that the console dropped in price by $50 a few weeks after they bought theirs. I know some people say "its only $50", but hey...$50 is $50. I'd rather the money in my pocket than in theirs y'know! (assuming all that is true of course)

Jirotrom

artredis1980 said:

I spoke with a friend yesterday and speculated that Microsoft made the right decision in dropping 50 off the premium now and then another 50 around Halo 3 time to really put hurt on the competition, though I speculated this based on the chance of Sony releasing a 399 sku sometime this winter. I thought that if Sony released a 399 sku Microsoft would definitely drop another 50 if not they would be fine with their 50 price cut.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: Wii. I do agree that price is some of the appeal, but IMO even if it was 350 it would still be selling well. Due to a ton of things going perfectly for Nintendo, Wii= hip and cool and Apple etc,. It is completely mainstream and I bet you a lot of people wanting one were pleasantly surprised when they found out it was only 250. So no, I don't think the Core going down to 250 will effect much of anything. It may take away a few people that previously couldn't afford a 360 but will now take the plunge, but honestly..when you have people lining up on Sunday morning in JULY you're going to sell as many as you can make, period.

ThirdEye

artredis1980 said:

A mere $40-50 drop won't clear anything. Defective units will stay on store shelves for a while. And that holiday season drop is just a horseshit.

Jirotrom

schuelma said:
Re: Wii. I do agree that price is some of the appeal, but IMO even if it was 350 it would still be selling well. Due to a ton of things going perfectly for Nintendo, Wii= hip and cool and Apple etc,. It is completely mainstream and I bet you a lot of people wanting one were pleasantly surprised when they found out it was only 250. So no, I don't think the Core going down to 250 will effect much of anything. It may take away a few people that previously couldn't afford a 360 but will now take the plunge, but honestly..when you have people lining up on Sunday morning in JULY you're going to sell as many as you can make, period.
Even if microsoft dropped the core 360 to 199 the effect on a 249.99 Wii would be insignificant. "Wii" is gaining an "ipod" like status if it already hasn't.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jirotrom said:
Even if microsoft dropped the core 360 to 199 the effect on a 249.99 Wii would be insignificant. "Wii" is gaining an "ipod" like status if it already hasn't.

Yeah that's basically my point. It might steal a few people, but not enough to make a dent in the insane demand.

schuelma said:
Yeah that's basically my point. It might steal a few people, but not enough to make a dent in the insane demand.
Yeah, I don't think price is what's causing the Wii to sell as it is. It simply helps.

Well, the $50 price-drop is going to make 360s sell like hot-cakes, especially if they can bundle a memory card or a 20gb hard-drive with the core.

snack said:
Well, the $50 price-drop is going to make 360s sell like hot-cakes, especially if they can bungle a memory card or a 20gb hard-drive with the core.

_39078889_bungle270.jpg

New 360 SKU? :D

tanod

when is my burrito
I think that through the end of the year, we will see:

$299 Core
$349 Premium
$399 Halo SKU
$449 Elite

They had to drop the price of the premium more than anything else to make a place for the Halo SKU to live. They could still drop the Core price by a couple bucks but at least this way, the HD prices make some semblance of sense.

Not good enough MS! You're gonna need a drop of $100 to make a real impact, after 1.75 or so years $50 is just stingy and it will be seen as such by the public.

This is your only chance to stay ahead of the Wii, do the right thing and drop the price on all the SKUs by $100! Bundle a memory card with the core and sell it for $245 if you have to! (That way it'll be cheaper than the Wii but it can still actually be used to play something!)

Drop it by $100 by the time Halo 3 launches and you'll clean up this holiday! (Especially since you can advertise your console as "HALF THE PRICE OF THE PS3!" and watch the casuals scramble into stores screaming for Halo 3 and GTA 4!)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Not good enough MS! You're gonna need a drop of $100 to make a real impact, after 1.75 or so years $50 is just stingy and it will be seen as such by the public.

This is your only chance to stay ahead of the Wii, do the right thing and drop the price on all the SKUs by $100! Bundle a memory card with the core and sell it for $245 if you have to! (That way it'll be cheaper than the Wii but it can still actually be used to play something!)

Drop it by $100 by the time Halo 3 launches and you'll clean up this holiday! (Especially since you can advertise your console as "HALF THE PRICE OF THE PS3!" and watch the casuals scramble into stores screaming for Halo 3 and GTA 4!)
Are you for real? PS3 and 360 are in direct competition, so how the **** is someone going to buy a $499 console over the $349 console. Yeah, Microsoft didn't even have to drop the price.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
snack said:
Are you for real? PS3 and 360 are in direct competition, so how the **** is someone going to buy a $499 console over the $349 console. Yeah, Microsoft didn't even have to drop the price.

Blu Ray playback may be one reason for a small percentage of buyers to purchase a PS3 for more.

artredis1980 said:

Only thing that doesnt make sense is the cost difference between Core and Premium. The Core needs to come with some sort of storage device or that pricing will be to close.

Jirotrom said:
"Wii" is gaining an "ipod" like status if it already hasn't.

Please, dont kid yourself. Game Consoles have been around far to long for anyone console to gain so called ipod status. See Playstation 3 for perfect example.

KeithFranklin said:
Please, dont kid yourself. Game Consoles have been around far to long for anyone console to gain so called ipod status. See Playstation 3 for perfect example.
What does any of what you've just said have anything to do with gaining iPod status?

snack said:

No I mean they have to drop the price by $100 to keep ahead of the Wii for a bit longer, the longer they stay ahead, the longer they can keep publisher support!

Unless MS have given up on winning the war all together and have accepted 2nd place that is!

artist

Banned
$50 price drop is not significant. The things I'm waiting for (& others too) is the inclusion of HDMI and fixing the failure rate.

Teen Ape

$279 for the Core makes no sense at all, unless they pack in a Memory Card/HD Cables or some other accessory or game with it. I dont see it happening at all.

C4Lukins

KeithFranklin said:
Only thing that doesnt make sense is the cost difference between Core and Premium. The Core needs to come with some sort of storage device or that pricing will be to close.

That Core pricing makes zero sense unless they include storage.

Wow. It's really entertaining watching MS and Sony scramble for first place in the Who Can Drop The Price The Most Crappily award, but jeez. :lol A $50 pricedrop does nothing to get most people off the couch and into a Premium, and bringing the Core closer to the Premium's price makes its already terrible value proposition significantly worse! Even that second-price-drop idea doesn't make a lot of sense with the core going to $249, though at least it'd be nice to see a $299 Premium system.

EDIT: STOP SAYING CASUALS OH MY GOD YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE ACTUAL DEMOGRAPHICS FOR VIDEOGAMES LOOK LIKE DO YOU

Sharp

charlequin said:
Wow. It's really entertaining watching MS and Sony scramble for first place in the Who Can Drop The Price The Most Crappily award, but jeez. :lol A $50 pricedrop does nothing to get most people off the couch and into a Premium, and bringing the Core closer to the Premium's price makes its already terrible value proposition significantly worse! Even that second-price-drop idea doesn't make a lot of sense with the core going to $249, though at least it'd be nice to see a $299 Premium system.
At least they're dropping the price. I bet when the Wii has a "pricedrop", in about a year, they'll just be adding a $210 Wii without Wii Sports. Multiple SKUs, no real price drop and they'll have been making even more money on it over the years without passing along the savings to the consumer. I bet the Core will be cheaper by then, too. If Sony or Microsoft followed a similar policy with their price drops, it would be a screwup of epic proportions.

Uh, if they can drop the price of the core 20 bucks, why not make it 50. Then it would be just as expensive as the Wii. Not that it would take away the thunder of the Wii, but the consumers could interpret it as "Wii and 360 are at impulse buy range, while the PS3 is still way too expensive." The price drop wouldn't damage the Wii, but it would benifit the 360. It would be the 2 consoles to buy this christmas. The 279$ price is just stupid in my eyes. It won't change a thing about the sales numbers or consumers perception.

Sharp said:
At least they're dropping the price. I bet when the Wii has a "pricedrop", in about a year, they'll just be adding a $210 Wii without Wii Sports. Multiple SKUs, no real price drop and they'll have been making even more money on it over the years without passing along the savings to the consumer. I bet the Core will be cheaper by then, too. If Sony or Microsoft followed a similar policy with their price drops, it would be a screwup of epic proportions.
nostradumbass, is that you?

Top Bottom