• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

From a GameFAQs guide
Chest
_______
A |_|_|_|_|
B |_|_|_|_|
C |_|_|_|_|
D |_|_|_|_|

1 2 3 4

First of all, slash the crates at 1A once. Then, slash the crates at 3A once.
Slash the crate at 3C once. Climb onto 3C, push the crate at 3B onto the crates
at 3A. Move to 3B, then 2B, then hop onto the crates at 1A -
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/930337-xanadu-next/faqs/45513
You have officially saved my day. Spent like 3 hours feeling thick as shit.

Strength + Mind or Intelligence + Mind? What shall I foolishly dump all my points into?~

xVr3and.jpg
cBnPJnt.jpg

Messing around with the Wooden Sword, I've found that it gains additional power from Mind. Not only that, but the bonus from Mind exceeds that of Strength. Got me thinking as to whether I should go for an insane level of attack power or go for the highest magic power (and resistance! :eek:) possible and try a spellcaster.

No, I won't try to stack evasion. :x Also, I'm now slightly paranoid about whether all the weapons I sold also had semi-secret bonuses. >____>

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm playing through this pretty slowly... though I suppose I'd think of it as "savoring" more than anything else. This is really good, and it's not like there's a whole lotta Falcom left to go around on PC right now. I need to make it last.

Tizoc

For the love of all that's holy please tell me I won't be fighting another
Lich
again @_@

Lich
again @_@
Don't try and finish the optional dungeon. They're everywhere on the last two floors, and I just had to abandon what I thought would be a final run because they kept spawning in fork/t-intersection rooms. On the plus side, I wasn't encountering Tesla Salamanders at that point, so I should be fine using a stronger helmet than Valkyrie.

One more grind to level 27, I guess! I still have three Elixirs I can use to brute-force my way to the end.

Lich
again @_@

In my haste to finish up the the final area I ran into a -group- of them and lost two levels after having not saved in a half hour. Rage quit...I mean really it wasn't hard to get there but still.

Tizoc

Don't try and finish the optional dungeon. They're everywhere on the last two floors, and I just had to abandon what I thought would be a final run because they kept spawning in fork/t-intersection rooms. On the plus side, I wasn't encountering Tesla Salamanders at that point, so I should be fine using a stronger helmet than Valkyrie.

One more grind to level 27, I guess! I still have three Elixirs I can use to brute-force my way to the end.

GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

But nah seriously I still love this game. GotY for me for sure.

Eila

I already uninstalled but that doesn't sound fun at all. I
rebirthed and all the way up to level 20 again
, but to level up after that is such a chore. Even doing that was like an hour or two of grinding.
Wonder if you can edit your level with cheat engine. Get yourself to a level where you can beat it.

I remember the first time I got hit by a Lich. I just wanted the bastard dead before I got swamped in undead so I tried whacking him in the face, then he whacked me in the face for a LEVEL DOWN. Good thing you can load a previous save. lol

Anyways, don't think I ran into any Liches in the optional dungeon so far (Floor 11), but the second lightning spell, Blitz, has been doing wonders for me, letting me bump into skeletons to kill them in two hits without being a still target. Figure it should make Lich fights much more sane, though I should note I'm spec'd for magic.

I'm playing through this pretty slowly... though I suppose I'd think of it as "savoring" more than anything else. This is really good, and it's not like there's a whole lotta Falcom left to go around on PC right now. I need to make it last.

I know it is the norm to burn through games as quickly as possible, but this is definitely closer to where I am at with them in general and I like them so much more as a result. I don't get worked up about backlog. Fear of missing out. Demanding all sorts of weird concessions so I get the biggest bang out of my 1-2 hours as a responsible adult on the average week day.

I play exactly what interests me at the moment. Engage with it on its own terms. And play for it as long as it holds my interest. Sometimes that manifests as a 20-30 hour weekend binge-fest. Sometimes I pick at something over weeks/months.

It is one of the largest disconnects for me with how game reviews are approached because they are so far removed to how I actually play games. 5 minutes of actual game play tells me infinitely more than practically any review I've ever read. The number of times I have gotten a game, played it for 20 minutes and gone NO!! UGH, THIS IS THE WORST is probably in the low single digits. I honestly have no idea how people manage to do it to themselves.

I digress, apologies, has just been on my mind.

e: in an effort to make this a little less pointless ramble. I like organizing an inventory, especially in little squares. Fuck the haters.

Beatened.

The last area is one of my favorite dungeons in quite a while (I hope somehow that Falcom has those who did XN's dungeons still on the payroll; nothing I've ever beaten from them touches this with a ten-foot pole).

Like I've mentioned a few times upthread, the Vagrant Story in this one is STRONG. The end boss (spoilers) even looks a ton like some of VS' dragons smooshed together. The block puzzles, the layouts, the locking rooms, the palette, the "play good and the trash enemies just melt" philosophy; so much is so very close to the surface here.

It's on the shortlist so far for GOTY consideration, so this is where I say thank you XSEED and Falcom for making me a happy player this last week.

Just beat the game, man Castle Strangerock is HUGE! Great way to end the game though, they really saved the best for last. I found the last boss fun, but nothing too special. Probably the best boss in the game though, overall. I did pretty terrible on all the rankings at the end, lol. Story has a nice conclusion/resolution to it, I like how it ties into the tablets/memoirs. Overall I really enjoyed this one, feels like a sort of halfway point between Brandish and Ys, which is a good combination. More atmospheric than Ys, but more fast-paced than Brandish, with a lot more customization than either. Would love to see another game in this style from Falcom, but it seems Tokyo Xanadu isn't that (still excited for that one though).

Mechazawa

What in the fuck is up with these red slimes. Am I missing something obvious here? Dudes chip me away from across the screen.

This
Sliding boxes
puzzle @_@
How do I solve it?

EDIT: Aha figured it out :v
Those are the best worst. You encounter them much too often (as in even once) when running the optional dungeon.

The last area is one of my favorite dungeons in quite a while (I hope somehow that Falcom has those who did XN's dungeons still on the payroll; nothing I've ever beaten from them touches this with a ten-foot pole).
No other final dungeon from their mid-2000s period matches this. It's a great example of silently teaching players and making the most of (nearly) every skill and tool they've acquired over the course of the game. And the architecture...holy poop, it's like FROM Software really did play this game and realize they had to try and top this. Falcom's done us some good and so many Souls fans may not have realized it.

What in the fuck is up with these red slimes. Am I missing something obvious here? Dudes chip me away from across the screen.
No, there's no reason for these slimes to hit you at infinite distance. This never happened in the Japanese original, even with a fan-translation patch equipped. Rest assured, you can ignore these guys, learn the fire-sword passive skill, and then beat up skeletons to get experience/money/items instead.

Are the items that increase stats by +1 permanent, even if you use the level down option? Is there any reason to not use them immediately?

Tizoc

I take it the game doesn't have NG+?
Is one of the benefits of Leveling down so you can readjust your points and utlize bonus points to equip the more stronger items/equipment?

Danny Dudekisser

Man, this game is just awesome, and it keeps getting better. I'm not finished yet, but I suspect that this is something I'll want to replay before long.

That said, I wouldn't want to replay it until after it's been patched up a bit. There's a lot of minor bugs that still need to get resolved, like:

- The occasional stuttering
- When you pick up a tabula, the message window that pops up to tell you what it is disappears immediately.
- Sometimes, the background noises from a certain area will get "stuck." So, if you're coming from the eternal maze, where there's running water, and travel back to town, the sound of running water keeps playing in town.
- The red slime damage range is a bug... right? I think it is.
- Some of the text doesn't fit quite properly in the window where it's supposed to. This happened a couple times on the inventory/store screens.

And there's probably a couple others I'm forgetting. So, I'd like a bit more polish, at some point. But regardless, I'm having a hell of a good time with this thing.

Thud

The red slime doesn't seem to be a bug. There was that room in Eternal Maze where taking them down destroys all the boxes in the room and revealing a treasure chest. That's by design. The only shitting thing is, it affects the player as well :p.

Tizoc

Once you reach a high enough level it becomes trivial :V

BTW where can I find Anyess in
Xanadu Labyrinth? i got the potion now I want her to give me the 12th guardian

Tizoc

Yeah
I'm lost in
Strangerock Castle
Got the 2nd disc but I can't remember which path to take to find its door =_=

Are the items that increase stats by +1 permanent, even if you use the level down option? Is there any reason to not use them immediately?

All except for the one that grants a bonus point instead of directly increasing a stat will be safe on a level down, yes. Save that one for after you get the 12th guardian.
(I know this because I lost the bonus point from that one. >.>)

I take it the game doesn't have NG+?
Is one of the benefits of Leveling down so you can readjust your points and utlize bonus points to equip the more stronger items/equipment?

No NG+, no.

Levelling down's more to abuse the 12th guardian's ability to set yourself up for the optional dungeon. Gear-wise, you're actually already set as the one direct upgrade I've found so far there at Floor 20 can be used on a Lv. 1 character. lol

Danny Dudekisser

And... finished. Man, this game was really something special. Definitely one of my favorite games from Falcom. I really like that old-school Falcom game aesthetic... playing this actually kinda makes me want Brandish PSP to get a re-release.

Anyway, Xanadu Next was satisfying. It feels good to play, there's a great sense of progression, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. It pretty much does everything that matters for this sort of game right. And it's kinda what Castlevania should've been when it went 3D.

It's about damn time.

KmuB9fn.png

Taros, the final boss, is something of a pushover so long as you have Surprise Attack equipped with Berserk, Rapidfire, and Veda's Gift. Both Silver Armor and Battle Suit do the trick, too, and it helps to have an Elixir or two left for this guy. I'm glad to have finally beaten every part of this game, and at least Netherworld becomes a lot more fun when you can skip right to the hardest parts using the Mantle to bypass magic doors.

And it's kinda what Castlevania should've been when it went 3D.
The actual castle part would need expanding (a smaller fort built by Galsis besides Eaglet Mountain and Clover Ruins, for example), but Strangerock captures the Castlevania feeling right where it counts most. I love how environmental storytelling happens in the final dungeon, too, since you learn how much Galsis admires and wishes to become Kublai Khan, let alone a master of elements and industry.

The red slime doesn't seem to be a bug. There was that room in Eternal Maze where taking them down destroys all the boxes in the room and revealing a treasure chest. That's by design. The only shitting thing is, it affects the player as well :p.
Not true. In the Japanese version you're supposed to break the boxes apart manually, not using the slimes, and you have the choice of leaving enemies alive or eliminating them and then getting the chest.

preta

OK made it tot he final boss but where is
Anyess
so i can get the last Guardian?

Anywhere you can normally find her. One place is the room with the waterfall in Clover Ruins. Just kill everything and reenter the room.

I'm not sure whether it is a bug or a feature.
Just started the game to check if my laptop can run it and
4 hours have passed.

PLEASE SEND HELP.
This is too damn addictive

matmanx1

I'm not sure whether it is a bug or a feature.
Just started the game to check if my laptop can run it and
4 hours have passed.

PLEASE SEND HELP.
This is too damn addictive

Haha yep. It's my favorite single player game right now. I'm really enjoying it. Just got to the Forest maze and I need to make a map! I'll get on that later today...

Tizoc

Haha yep. It's my favorite single player game right now. I'm really enjoying it. Just got to the Forest maze and I need to make a map! I'll get on that later today...
Its not so mch a maze so much a loop with trap paths :p once u figure the pattern it becomes easy to tet thru

Ascheroth

Well, I made a map and combed through the whole thing, but if you just want to get through it, that's not necessary.
A good adventurer always carefully observes his surroundings ;)

Kvik

I never knew pain until I met two Liches in a narrow corridor, endlessly summoning scythe skeletons, preventing me from getting behind it. :-|

mclem

The bones seem to regulate the price down to a minimum of 20 gold, so if it's already that you won't see an effect (but it can still change the number of keys you can buy at 20 before the price increases).

Actually, I don't know if this is intended, but I'm seeing it being reliably as 'Selling a bone to the shopkeeper resets the count, so the next three keys will all be 20G' - but selling *multiple* bones doesn't seem to affect that - you'll still get three keys at 20G. And if you sell three bones, you can get nine keys at 20G if you were to sell one bone, buy three keys, sell another bone, buy three keys, sell the last bone, buy three keys.

(I'm not quite sure why I'm quibbling over a single gold coin, mind you, but I'm curious if this is what's intended!)

Top Bottom