• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next (PC/Falcom) translation released!

Yuterald

Aeana said:
I'm pretty sure you have enough spell slots for every spell in the game, though.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I noticed spells and skills slotted into predesignated spots. I know it doesn't really matter in the end if I miss an old spell, but my OCD, completionist mentality kicked in and it's difficult to shake, lol! Plus, I find it very odd that the item shop kept all the old spells BUT THAT ONE PARTICULAR Thunder spell after its update. The weapon/armor shop still sells all the old gear so it's just something that threw me off.

JoeFenix

Huh I'm pretty sure the spells stack though, level 1 thunder will be overwritten by level 2 thunder etc. I don't think they have different spell slots, maybe i'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they don't.

Yuterald

JoeFenix said:
Really don't remember but if your goal is to have 1 of everything then I don't even think it's possible due to limited inventory room. Too many items if you try and get one of every level of every spell book.

You'll also start getting Armor+1's and stuff like that. Not gonna happen, sorry!

I'm not trying to have one of every scroll/item/weapon in the game physically collected. I just never got the chance to learn the spell and now the shop isn't selling it anymore. If there isn't enough inventory stock for all weapons and armor in the game I'd at least like to collect all the helmets since they have unique resistances. I'd like to at least learn every spell/skill available in the game.

That sounds really cool about the armor+ stuff though.

ctrayne

Yuterald said:
If there isn't enough inventory stock for all weapons and armor in the game I'd at least like to collect all the helmets since they have unique resistances.
Char (I think that's her name, can't recall right now) lets you store stuff at your hotel room, so pile away.

Yuterald

JoeFenix said:
Huh I'm pretty sure the spells stack though, level 1 thunder will be overwritten by level 2 thunder etc. I don't think they have different spell slots, maybe i'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they don't.

Oh, cool. If this is true then that's even better. I'll go test it out soon. I bought the first Ice and Fire spell and now their level 2 versions are available. I wonder if there are as many spells/weapon skills as their are slots in your menu? I found a weapon dropped from an enemy in the Clover Ruins that could not be purchased and it had a unique skill on it.

I wonder how many more instances there are like this, especially considering how compact and apparently short the game is. Maybe some of these dropped weapons become available for purchase later?

JoeFenix

Yuterald said:
I'm not trying to have one of every scroll/item/weapon in the game physically collected. I just never got the chance to learn the spell and now the shop isn't selling it anymore. If there isn't enough inventory stock for all weapons and armor in the game I'd at least like to collect all the helmets since they have unique resistances. I'd like to at least learn every spell/skill available in the game.

That sounds really cool about the armor+ stuff though.

No, I mean don't worry about not having thunder 1 because when you learn thunder 2 it takes the same spell slot in your spell selection section. It erases all traces of ever having had thunder 1.

Yuterald

ctrayne said:
Char (I think that's her name, can't recall right now) lets you store stuff at your hotel room, so pile away.

Yeah, I saw that, but I believe she only has 3 pages worth of stock? You can definitely store a lot of stuff if you'd like, but apparently armor becomes plentiful later? There are +1 versions of equipment so I guess it gets overwhelming and cluttered at some point. No big deal, I'll just keep playing to see what happens.

krYlon

Good news - my friend and I (mostly my friend) wrote a resolution patcher that makes the game look even better than before. It can't fix the aspect ratio, so you need to either play stretched or use your monitor/graphics card to enable pillarboxing, but it's a huge step up. Here's a link:
http://www.scribesslate.com/software/xannext/xannext.html

The resolution patcher now directly supports widescreen as well.

Tried it today and man does the higher resolution make a big difference, especially when unstretched.
It feels like a modern game now.
Your friend did some great work.

Also, the translators are working on a fix for the latest DVD version (v1.0.2.0).
It's not massively important thanks to Aeana's downgrade patch suggestion, but it will make life easier for those who want to buy this version from Falcom.

The game is so so good. More people need to try it.

Aeana

Glad that's all worked out now!

I dunno if it's been mentioned around these parts, but the group is now working on Dinosaur Resurrection.

Aeana

Yes, I have. Dinosaur (the original) was actually one of my very first video games. The remake is a lot better, too. It won't be for everyone, but I'll say that if you like first-person dungeon crawlers at all, you should check it out.

krYlon

I am completely addicted to the soundtrack at the moment, I think I just want to play it because of that and the general atmosphere that comes through on the youtube videos I've seen of it.

Gameplay and level design looks cool too of course.

krYlon

I can't seem to find the download link to the patcher anywhere??

Haha yeah, that bugged me for ages as well. Sorry, you can find it if you hover your mouse cursor about 1cm above these words:
"Make sure the config.exe that comes with"

It will then magically appear like a hidden treasure chest

Grimmy

Banned
Haha yeah, that bugged me for ages as well. Sorry, you can find it if you hover your mouse cursor about 1cm above these words:
"Make sure the config.exe that comes with"

It will then magically appear like a hidden treasure chest

Ah, thanks! Strange that it's so obvious now that I see it :[

Xanadu NEXT running at 1920x1080: http://i.imgur.com/6KPy0.jpg

Also, it actually looks better with Anti-Aliasing off. It seems to just blur things in the distance instead of smoothing models, but you can see the difference real-time while you are in-game.

Seriously, I would Paypal a lunch donation for this patch, I've ALWAYS wanted this.

I dunno if it's been mentioned around these parts, but the group is now working on Dinosaur Resurrection.
SWEET. I never opened the copy I got from my Falcom Year End special but I've always been interested in it.

JoeFenix

Definitely a bit of a crazy bump but I just recently built a new pc and want to play through Xanadu Next again soon!

I can't seem to find a place to download the resolution + widescreen hack though. That scribeslate link doesn't have the file anymore from what I can tell. Could anyone help me out here, the game looks pretty crappy stretched and low res on this monitor :(

Edit: Forget everything I said, the file is definitely available on that scribesslate site. I just woke up and couldn't see it I guess. Sorry for the bump!

TaroYamada

Sorry to bump this but game's crashing and interested if anybody here has any ideas. I've asked in the translation patch forums too before anybody asks.

Anyways I am running Win7 64 bit, game version 1.0.2 and patch v. 2.0, when I attempt to drag and drop equipment in or out of a slot in the character inventory menu the game automatically locks up and stops working, even in compatibility mode. Any ideas?

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Yes, I have. Dinosaur (the original) was actually one of my very first video games. The remake is a lot better, too. It won't be for everyone, but I'll say that if you like first-person dungeon crawlers at all, you should check it out.

Now that the theard got bumped.

Any update on Dinosaur ? Xanadu Next was one of the few games i finished last year. I really want to try it out.

krYlon

Sorry to bump this but game's crashing and interested if anybody here has any ideas. I've asked in the translation patch forums too before anybody asks.

Anyways I am running Win7 64 bit, game version 1.0.2 and patch v. 2.0, when I attempt to drag and drop equipment in or out of a slot in the character inventory menu the game automatically locks up and stops working, even in compatibility mode. Any ideas?

Have you tried the Ancient Land of Ys boards? There is a Xanadu Next thread there where the translators have posted and helped. You can even try PMing them there.

I have your version, but only have XP not windows 7.

If all else fails, I recommend you downgrade your version. Aeana has detailed this earlier in the thread.

Top Bottom