• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 and PS4 - What We Know (so far)

CREMSteve

RQnLeXC.jpg

While both consoles make use of an eight-core AMD Jaguar processor, the PS4 features 1,152 GPU cores compared to the XB1’s 768 graphics cores. Sony’s new console drives 1.84 TFLOPS as a result, compared to the XB1's peak shader throughput of 1.23 TFLOPS.

The PS4 also has the edge when it comes to system memory, featuring 8GB of 5500MHz GDDR5 memory compared to the XB1’s 8GB of 2133MHz DDR3 RAM. The PS4 has a rumoured 512MB-1GB reserved for it's OS, while we know the XB1 has 3GB reserved for it's 3 OS'.

Embedded memory and embedded memory bandwidth for the PlayStation 4 are still unknown factors.

But what else do we know? Aside from specs, a lot of "features" have been revealed, so let's recap those.

XB1
- 3GB RAM reserved for OS, 5GB available for games
- 2 CPU cores reserved for OS, 6 available for games
- 10% of GPU reserved for OS, 90% available for games
- Change channels and watch TV through the console (through pre-arranged partnerships, none confirmed as of yet)
- Blu-ray/DVD optical drive
- "Snap" mode allows for seamless transition between games, movies, TV, etc.
- Kinect 2 mandatory for console to operate
- Mandatory installs for all software (requires console to be online)
- Software tied to LIVE ID
- No Backwards Compatibility
- HDMI in/out only
- 4K TV compatible
- Smartglass second screen
- Cross-game video and audio chat via Skype app
- Exclusive launch lineup of Forza 5
- 3rd party launch lineup of Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts
- LIVE will continue to exist as it did this gen, with all online multiplayer and entertainment features behind a paywall (pricing not yet announced)
- Games can be suspended and resumed, even after turning off console
- System has constant access to the "Cloud", which could be theoretically used to offload AI routines and the like to take load off of the CPU
- Controller now features force feedback triggers (awesome), internal AA batteries, improved d-pad, Start + Select renamed to Menu and View
- Headset not included, and not compatible with previous gen headsets
- Achievement system carries over from 360
- Releasing in North America in 2013
- Region-locked

PS4
- Separate chip for Encoding/Decoding and various other tasks
- Blu-ray/DVD optical drive
- Will not play CDs
- There is a dedicated Share button on the controller. You can send snippets of recorded video straight to a friend and even invite them to watch your game, or allow them to take over your gameplay if you want them to.
- Backwards Compatibility through on-board Gaikai streaming (likely subscription-based, not likely available at launch)
- All PS4 software remote playable on PS VITA through Gaikai streaming (voodoo magic)
- Sharing and social functions controllable via iPad
- HDMI, RCA and Optical outputs
- 4K TV compatible
- VITA second screen
- Cross-game video, text and audio chat via OS
- Exclusive launch lineup of inFAMOUS: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Drive Club and Knack
- 3rd party launch lineup of Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts
- Games can be suspended and resumed, even after turning off console
- Dual Shock 4 features much beefier size, tighter analog sticks, proper R2 triggers, and multi-touch touchpad, internal speaker and a light bar for motion control and identifying players
- Compatible with previous gen peripherals including headsets, keyboards and PS Move (not compatible with Dual Shock 3)
- Trophy system carries over from PS3
- Headset included
- Releasing in North America and Europe in 2013

As far as I know, that's everything we know up to now. Did I miss anything? If I made any errors, let me know and I'll edit. I haven't been following it as closely as many here, so there may be updated info I wasn't aware of.

Raide

All these numbers and we have hardly seen any games. Both Sony and MS really need to pull their fingers out for E3.

pixlexic

Banned
Yeah I actually expected more spec comparisons during the week.

I think the ps3/360 spec war kind of killed of spec comparisons. It really all comes down to whose making what and which is the lead platform.

VanWinkle

Since you mentioned Xbox One being HDMI only, might as well mention that PS4 has HDMI and analog AV.

Edit: oh I missed it. You did. Carry on.

Radec

- 3GB RAM reserved for OS, 5GB available for games
- 2 CPU cores reserved for OS, 6 available for games
- 10% of GPU reserved for OS, 90% available for games

Dat Xbone OS Anchor.

Mrbob

PS4 is including a headset in every box.

Have they confirmed they won't put a headset in the box?

Use your Kinect. It's odd how it feels like PS4 is going to be the early 360 successor while Xbone feels to be the early PS3 successor.

Gorgon

I think the PS4 comes with a headset included in the box. The headset connects to the controller.

EDIT: beaten.

CREMSteve

Linkypoos?

might be worth citing sources for each factoid in the OP, so you don't get loads of questions like that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ach-to-manufacture-headsets-for-xbox-one.aspx

This is significant in a couple of ways. One, we’ve received confirmation from Microsoft that the company will not be packing in a Communicator headset in with the Xbox One, as it did with the Xbox 360 (this is presumably because the unit comes with a next-generation Kinect sensor bar in the box).

Copenap

Let's be fair here regarding backwards compatibility. The PS4 has no bc at launch and supposedly will become it later on (if at all, as of now it's just PR talk).

Microsoft never said all Xbox One games will have dedicated servers. They simply said that is an idea for the 300,000 servers.

p3tran

Banned
1GB OS reserve for PS4 isn't confirmed I think.

What else?

that xbox SUCKS so much! not confirmed yet, but it will be.

edit: for the graph to be more precise, ram bandwidth should be increased about 20% (like one empty space), if you take under consideration the esram (you can make it different color to separate)

EvB

Is the difference between DDR3 and DDR5 really that big? So would like 4GB of DDR5 be equal to 8GB of DD3?

From what I understand GDDR5 is the graphics optimised version of DDR3.
GDDR5 has more bandwidth, but DDR3 has lower latency.

But as we buying games machines, it's likely that the GDDR5 is more beneficial for games with funky graphics.

ptuck874

the cloud thing, my bro in law was over here, trying his best to say the xbone was all that, and he brought up the power of the cloud, in all seriousness, he said that, I love the man like my brother, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off....

Infusion

Banned
OP is Misleading the actual answer to what we know so far is NOTHING! Sony has not said anything about their policy or on online or used games Only a controller! Ms has not address the same thing only a console and trailers. until we see the games at e3 running on hardware and people playing them and we get answers Im not putting stock in any of them. The idea that ms wont have games and sony wont have media stuff is just fantasy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is the difference between DDR3 and DDR5 really that big? So would like 4GB of DDR5 be equal to 8GB of DD3?

This tech stuff is generally over my head but the consensus prior to the PS Meeting was that Sony would have an advantage with 4GB GDDR5 over Xbone's 8 GB DDR3.

the cloud thing, my bro in law was over here, trying his best to say the xbone was all that, and he brought up the power of the cloud, in all seriousness, he said that, I love the man like my brother, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off....

I have no doubt this unlimited cloud power stuff will make for an effective marketing tool. I've already seen it on other forums.

OP is Misleading the actual answer to what we know so far is NOTHING! Sony has not said anything about their policy or on online or used games Only a controller! Ms has not address the same thing only a console and trailers. until we see the games at e3 running on hardware and people playing them and we get answers Im not putting stock in any of them. The idea that ms wont have games and sony wont have media stuff is just fantasy.

tumblr_miybgfwBzB1s6ezlmo1_400.gif

CREMSteve

I don't believe I mentioned online or used games in the PS4 section? I specifically attempted to avoid anything that wasn't already confirmed.

Gestault

I believe this was confirmed via Guerrilla's powerpoint presentation, was it not?

The info they gave was that their demo ran on a total of ~4.5 gb of ram on the game side (3 gigs for GPU ops and 1.5 gigs for CPU ops), and no info on OS footprint.

Top Bottom