• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Cindro

I booted up Mega Baseball with the intent of briefly fooling around with it, and several hours later I had played about ten games.

It takes a couple of bouts to fully acquaint yourself with the mechanics, but once you've locked in on those it's a ton of fun. It's the first time I've enjoyed a baseball game since playing the MVP series on GameCube!

The UI and menus are pretty jumbled and overwhelming though, so just be prepared to spend time hunting around for things like options and team building capabilities (especially in season mode).

Still well worth checking out though!

I booted up Mega Baseball with the intent of briefly fooling around with it, and several hours later I had played about ten games.

It takes a couple of bouts to fully acquaint yourself with the mechanics, but once you've locked in on those it's a ton of fun. It's the first time I've enjoyed a baseball game since playing the MVP series on GameCube!

The UI and menus are pretty jumbled and overwhelming though, so just be prepared to spend time hunting around for things like options and team building capabilities (especially in season mode).

Agreed, it's a super competent baseball game. I've put probably 4 or 5 hours into it so far. Scratching the baseball itch I get every long once in a while.

Flux

I guess that's good to hear. To non-Americans, or baseball outsiders in general the game is really obtuse to play. I don't understand the rules, and the management stuff is another layer of confusion. Was kind of hoping it was an arcadey style game to just hop in to have fun. Also it's strange that there are just generic created characters and teams.

Reflex is actually a great motocross game. Especially for the era it was released. Though there are now better mx games even on Xbox One with MXGP 2, but its still a real enjoyable game if your into racing games. The learning curve can be a little steep though.

Chris1

I don't know if I can even be bothered to redeem the games this month. One of the XB1 games being of a sport that only two countries in the entire world actually play is really silly.
I do wish they'd stop giving away sports games, might sound selfish but whatever. My interest couldn't be any lower with Baseball and WWE and virtually every sports game out there barring FIFA, and even then I wouldn't care as I buy FIFA every year anyway.

I get people like them but they have such a limited audience it makes it worthless to a good chunk of the world.

EmiPrime

I do wish they'd stop giving away sports games, might sound selfish but whatever. My interest couldn't be any lower with Baseball and WWE and virtually every sports game out there barring FIFA, and even then I wouldn't care as I buy FIFA every year anyway.

I get people like them but they have such a limited audience it makes it worthless to a good chunk of the world.

I totally agree. I felt the same way when that NBA game came to PS+ earlier this year.

Novocaine

Yep. Sports games suck. I hate getting them.

Super Mega Baseball is a really neat indie. It's good that more people will get to check it out -- for free -- because it deserves attention, especially with a second one coming next year.

I kick myself for playing on a lower difficulty to break records, because it soured me on the game for a while.

I wish they gave us Pure instead of this other offroad game. Pure was genuinely fun.

Pure was a lot of fun. It was a great early release. The end was a bitch, though.

Reflex is pretty good, though -- nothing too special, but fun and decent.

Alx

To non-Americans, or baseball outsiders in general the game is really obtuse to play. I don't understand the rules, and the management stuff is another layer of confusion. Was kind of hoping it was an arcadey style game to just hop in to have fun.

Eh, I think I'll give it a pass then... I intended to try it out of curiosity, but it's no use if it requires some deeper knowledge of the sport to be enjoyed (all I know of it is "hit the ball and run around until the other team catches it").

Monocle

Totally agreed.

I like sports games, but not as much as I used to. I can only really get into NHL these days. So, I agree, I'd like them to take a break from mainline sports games.

That said, good arcadey ones like this month's baseball game are fine by me.

ElNino

Honestly, this is a good month for me. Super Mega Baseball has been a great game to play with my boys so far, and I had been to close to buying it before when it was on sale.

The Escapists is also good, even though my son has it on his Macbook on Steam, he'd like to play it on the Xbox.

I can appreciate some wouldn't like this month, but this has been one of the best months for me in a while for GwG or PS+.

flkraven

People keep talking about sports games, meanwhile nobody talking about the elephant in the room: racing games. Why the hell do we get so many god damn racing games?

Here are the GWG racing games we've gotten over the last year:

DiRT 3
DiRT Showdown
GRID 2
The Crew
Forza Horizon
MX vs ATV Reflex

I loved The Crew and Forza, but still. Is there not enough game diversity to prevent a racing game being given every other month?

What is the Escapists like anyways? Is it hard or very strategical?

EDIT: I find racing games to be fun, so I'm really happy with those.

People keep talking about sports games, meanwhile nobody talking about the elephant in the room: racing games. Why the hell do we get so many god damn racing games?

DiRT 3
DiRT Showdown
GRID 2
The Crew
Forza Horizon
MX vs ATV Reflex

I loved The Crew and Forza, but still. Is there not enough game diversity to prevent a racing game being given every other month?
Of course they have plenty of options to choose from. They just seem to really want that racing crowd to be pleased.

Chris1

DiRT 3
DiRT Showdown
GRID 2
The Crew
Forza Horizon
MX vs ATV Reflex

People did complain, but I do agree they give out too many racing games and have posted as much in those GWG topics. I like racing games though, so it's not a big deal for me but there does need to be more variety. More stuff like Hitman, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Portal, LA Noire, Bully, Fable, Ryse, Left 4 Dead, Batman, Far Cry, etc. Games that spread among a wide range of genres or are completely different from one another.

I don't have a problem with those games going GWG but when you're getting DiRT 3 and DiRT Showdown within like 2 months it's a bit much.

illusionary

Is there anyone else who can't get the page for The Escapists to load? I've had this now for a fair few games, but can't see any pattern to it. I've ended up just redeeming via the console up until now, so I guess that I'll just do that here too - but working out what's wrong would be good, of course!

louiedog

Is there anyone else who can't get the page for The Escapists to load? I've had this now for a fair few games, but can't see any pattern to it. I've ended up just redeeming via the console up until now, so I guess that I'll just do that here too - but working out what's wrong would be good, of course!

Same. I got it through the Windows Xbox app instead.

illusionary

Loads for me. UK.
Thanks - I'm also from the UK. I can't think what else to try to get it to work via the web store!

What is The Escapists like?
Decent and certainly worth playing, though quite grindy in places if you're going for 100%. There are a lot of ways to approach each level, which can be fun to explore. Just be careful not to take *too* many risks, as it's very frustrating to get caught and lose much of your progress in the level.

Chris1

Downloaded I Am Alive shortly after it became free and there were just over 540.000 people on the leaderboard.

Now we are at 770.000 entries.

Should be interesting to see how it increases over the next two weeks. Everyone who starts up the game once gets added.

The Crew had 3M downloads during it's month and there was an indie game on XB1 that had 1 or 2M downloads earlier on. I want to say IDARB but Google isn't bringing anything up. If you count the games and average it out when we were given milestones like 100M downloads, I think it was around 1.7M per game, too. But obviously this includes the very first games which I have to imagine had really low downloads.

I don't think I am Alive is a fair judge of how GWG fares because it's not a particularly good game and it's a 360 game so a lot of people cant get it (no 360, no cc, etc) or some other reason. Should be interesting to see how it goes anyways, but I don't think it's really indicative of anything.

TheYanger

I know almost anyone I know just clicks 'buy' on 360 games and sets them aside since there's no time limit on them either. And, yeah, a lot of people probably just don't even bother with the 360 stuff. It's 'old'

Not like Microsoft care about Europe before. Makes perfect sense imo.

What utter tosh . MS have treated the Pal gamer brilliant since the original XBox . Unlike SONY who treated the Pal gamer like crap for decades with border gameplay loads of games not supporting 60 Hz gaming huge gaps between software release dates in the USA and Pal and the less said about Nintendo treatment of the Pal gamer the better (

The ignorance on this board sometimes defies believe, mind you like with NFL (where the Superbowl winners are declared World Champions) . MLB claims it's a world series, so maybe Baseball is played across the world *RollsEyes*

Matt

What utter tosh . MS have treated the Pal gamer brilliant since the original XBox . Unlike SONY who treated the Pal gamer like crap for decades with border gameplay loads of games not supporting 60 Hz gaming huge gaps between software release dates in the USA and Pal and the less said about Nintendo treatment of the Pal gamer the better (

The ignorance on this board sometimes defies believe, mind you like with NFL (where the Superbowl winners are declared World Champions) . MLB claims it's a world series, so maybe Baseball is played across the world *RollsEyes*

What a strange, out of nowhere rant.

Not a rant . Microsoft to their credit have treated the Pal gamer with respect and very well since original XBox , in stark contrast to the way SONY treated the Pal gamer through the PS and PS 2 generation (and to a part the PS3) or the way Nintendo still treats the Pal gamer to this very day . I say that has a long-suffering Gamer that until MS and the XBox (more so the 360) Where one was almost forced to go to Imports thanks to huge delays between NTSC USA/JP and their Pal counterparts for Hardware and software , never mind issues of either 50 Hz games or bordered games.

Chitown B

NFL is American Football. That's a USA thing. It's not the Rugby Football Leagure. Baseball invented in Canada/USA, therefore World Series is Canada/USA.

Seems like a weird hill to die on

NFL is American Football. That's a USA thing. It's not the Rugby Football Leagure. Baseball invented in Canada/USA, therefore World Series is Canada/USA.

Seems like a weird hill to die on

I know NFL is a USA sport, so why is every side that wins the Superbowl Champions declared 'World Champions' ? USA and Canada are not the World, but North America nothing at all World about that . You don't see any Football (sorry Soccer) side that wins The Premiership declared World Champions and you don't see the European Rugby Champions Cup being called the World Series and there's a reason for that ;) :p

Looking over that bit of pointless fun and how's it's hard to knock any game that;s given away free . Anyone who's been a Pal gamer, would know the utter contempt SONY and Nintendo and even SEGA treated the Pal gamer over the years. Microsoft to their credit tried to look after the Pal gamer and really pushed that to new levels with the 360 and they deserver a lot of praise for that.

I know NFL is a USA sport, so why is every side that wins the Superbowl Champions declared 'World Champions' ? USA and Canada are not the World, but North America nothing at all World about that . You don't see any Football (sorry Soccer) side that wins The Premiership declared World Champions and you don't see the European Rugby Champions Cup being called the World Series and there's a reason for that ;) :p

Looking over that bit of pointless fun and how's it's hard to knock any game that;s given away free . Anyone who's been a Pal gamer, would know the utter contempt SONY and Nintendo and even SEGA treated the Pal gamer over the years. Microsoft to their credit tried to look after the Pal gamer and really pushed that to new levels with the 360 and they deserver a lot of praise for that.
No one challenges their title though so it rings true regardless, I guess Japan could have an issue with it since baseball is popular there.
It's a thing to make fun of for sure but not a serious jab. Football and baseball have a tiny presence in the rest of the world.

Microsoft also didn't even launch the XBO in many PAL regions for a long time. Didn't support Kinect with them either. The whole original approach didn't do anything outside the US and it didn't even work properly with 50hz

novabolt

This part is sad but I do agree that MS has been doing good when it comes to PAL, NSTC and JP(sometimes) releases.

Yager

Banned

Agree 100%. I'm sure that if they didn't push that hard for the PAL consumers, we would still be fucked in some way by the industry.

EmiPrime

I haven't had any PAL related complaints (other than compromised retro re-releases) since the PS3/360/Wii generation. If anything I would take Nintendo Europe over Nintendo America these days, something I never thought I would say.

It's not like the Xbox was immune to PAL bs either given we got 50Hz Halo and PAL Xbox consoles couldn't output 480p without modding (effectively telling it to be a NTSC Xbox). So yeah, odd rant.

Eh, I think I'll give it a pass then... I intended to try it out of curiosity, but it's no use if it requires some deeper knowledge of the sport to be enjoyed (all I know of it is "hit the ball and run around until the other team catches it").

It doesn't though. I know jack about the rules/terminology of baseball and have had a blast with SMB. You'll pick up up the finer points as you play more, but I'd recommend it to anyone who just wants to throw and hit home runs.

Lazaro

I haven't had any PAL related complaints (other than compromised retro re-releases) since the PS3/360/Wii generation. If anything I would take Nintendo Europe over Nintendo America these days, something I never thought I would say.

It's not like the Xbox was immune to PAL bs either given we got 50Hz Halo and PAL Xbox consoles couldn't output 480p without modding (effectively telling it to be a NTSC Xbox). So yeah, odd rant.

Weren't a lot of OG Xbox and early 360 games Pal50hz only?

Regarding Nintendo, I think Metroid Prime 2: echoes was one of the only Pal60hz GameCube games.

EmiPrime

Weren't a lot of OG Xbox and early 360 games Pal50hz only?

Regarding Nintendo, I think Metroid Prime 2: echoes was one of the only Pal60hz GameCube games.

My memory is hazy on the Xbox because I had a modded machine and could force most games into 60Hz that way. Some games like Halo would bug out and stutter when forced however.

I don't remember any issues with the 360 but I didn't buy one on launch.

There were 60Hz Gamecube games on launch. PAL Gamecube was very hit and miss though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

He's right though.

As an Australian, Microsoft treats us better than Sony or Nintendo do.

- Digital prices are cheaper
- We get games before the rest of the world (except NZ)
- The above mention 60Hz support
- Our console prices are actually cheaper than they should be after conversion

He's right though.

Well to be fair, Microsoft has far better infrastructure than the other two do. Hell, I'm not even convinced that Nintendo even has any infrastructure down here in the first place.

Card Boy

Banned
He's right though.

Yeah Sony is treats us like shit compared to MS. Also all what you said is factual and true. Nintendo is in a whole another world in not giving a fuck.

JoeLT

Firewatch and Hyper Light Drifter took over a month to come to Australia, The Witness still hasn't. Not necessarily PAL but Australia is certainly treated like crap, though not sure if this has anything to do with Microsoft or our ratings board holding games back.

Firewatch and Hyper Light Drifter took over a month to come to Australia, The Witness still hasn't. Not necessarily PAL but Australia is certainly treated like crap, though not sure if this has anything to do with Microsoft or our ratings board holding games back.

Ratings board goodness. Sony ignores the ratings board, while Microsoft requires games to actually get a rating.

By the way, did Superhot actually make it to Xbox down here?

Top Bottom