• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wow, it just keeps getting worse.

I look forward to people trying to spin this as a good month.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wow, it just keeps getting worse.

I look forward to people trying to spin this as a good month.

Everyone has said the Xbox Ones games are unknown and doesn't really look that good. The Xbox community aren't usually afraid to call a bad month for a bad month.

I'm surprised about how good GwG has been, and don't understand how the last two months could have been this bad.

Hendrick's

Everyone has said the Xbox Ones games are unknown and doesn't really look that good. The Xbox community aren't usually afraid to call a bad month for a bad month.

I'm surprised about how good GwG has been, and don't understand how the last two months could have been this bad.
Just read back a few posts to last month and how a bunch of people were arguing that old (360) games were the most important part of the service.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Just read back a few posts to last month and how a bunch of people were arguing that old (360) games were the most important part of the service.

Well, maybe it is for them, but you and I can easily agree that it's not the case for the overall crowd.

GwG has went from a third party AA game provider to indie throwaway, which is pretty sad. GwGs Ave compared to psplus has been the major games theyve given out the last few years. Couldn't care less about the majority of Indies.

I heard good things about death squared when it was launched on Switch. Looking forward to try it out.

And I am reeeeeally happy to see Conviction as a GwG. I am waiting for a looooong time for it to be on the program. I skipped a lot of sales waiting for it to be finally free.

Good lineup for me. :)

Hendrick's

Rough month, I guess the 360 games help. At least Vermintide and others dropping into Game Pass help out July.
This is where my head is at. I have the feeling that GwG is suffering because of Gamepass. As a Gamepass subscriber I guess it doesn't impact me as much, aside from feeling like I am overpaying for Gold (which is offset by how cheap I got GP for), but they really need to rethink how they are approaching Gold. They really need to look at rolling these services together.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Another month where Sony has some heavy hitters but the Xbox one is a bit meh... I was actually hoping for something large this time, a big title...

I dunno why I do it to myself every month :(

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
As an aside, I think it’s a really silly and missed opertunity to not combine the backwards compatible stuff with the Xbox one x stuff, and Male every months 360 releases Xbox one x enhanced.

Why we aren’t getting these 360 games running at 4k is beyond me. Come on man, I want to play some more classics at 4k :( I can’t even remember the last 370 game to get 4k treatment, and have no idea when the new ones will be out :(

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm going to make my son play VF5 for 15 minutes first every time he plays Fortnite. These kids today have no appreciation of the classics.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Assualt Andorid Cactus metascore 85
Splinter Cell Conviction metascore 85
Virtua fighter 5 Showdown Metascore 82
Death Squared Meta Score 78

Gaf Reaction, "what a rough month."

What the hell do you people want?

Last edited:
Another month where Sony has some heavy hitters but the Xbox one is a bit meh... I was actually hoping for something large this time, a big title...

I dunno why I do it to myself every month :(

I think this month they(Sony/MS) both said "Screw it, it's summer, give them some random junk". Let's be frank. That's honestly what this looks like, just the summer dregs from both offerings.

Filler month.

Leonidas

I agree with this.. It's BS.. Virtua Fighter is like 12 years old and Splinter Cell 8 years old.. Include at least one 1 bigger title in the last 2-3 years!

Seems like Game Pass has what you're looking for.

It is good to promote these indie games otherwise maybe no one would ever know about them, many in this thread never heard of Assault Android Cactus but apparently it's a great indie game, and it's even X enhanced. If they didn't bring games like that to GWG then there would be many great indie games that I would have missed. I've never had a problem with indie games on GWG or PS+ as long as they are titles that look interesting.

Artistic

Not a great month for GwG, but admittedly haven't played too many of the games given away on the service. More than likely would purchase before it even hits the service.

Gives me a reason to sell my physical copy of Conviction though.

Justin9mm

Seems like Game Pass has what you're looking for.

It is good to promote these indie games otherwise maybe no one would ever know about them, many in this thread never heard of Assault Android Cactus but apparently it's a great indie game, and it's even X enhanced. If they didn't bring games like that to GWG then there would be many great indie games that I would have missed. I've never had a problem with indie games on GWG or PS+ as long as they are titles that look interesting.

Like I said at least have 1 newer title, they can promote the indies all they want with the other 2 or 3 games they provide.. I have game pass too but for $80 a year for Gold in addition to Game Pass, I expect better!

I'm genuinely curious. What do you mean?

I played Splinter Cell Conviction for a number of hours (in one sitting) with headphones on. The volume was set at the same volume I was playing other games on and loud enough for me to hear the conversations of some of the NPC's. The gunfire was SUPER loud and instead of lowering the volume or taking my headphones off, I stupidly played through it.
As soon as I put my head on the pillow that night, I realized that there was a loud ringing in my head/ears. I immediately knew it was tinnitus (as I already had a mild case) and I knew it was permanent.
I freaked out and suffered with it for about 3 months, then my brain kind of became used to it - but I still have the noise to this day. Its the dumbest thing I've ever done. People need to be careful with their hearing.

Allandor

btw if you set your console to south korea you get Zoo Tycoon animal collection for free and if you set it to japan you get loco cycle

Alx

I don't get why the age of the game matters, a good game is a good game. And if anything, offering older ones increases the chances of making the players discover a forgotten gem.

mneuro

Great month for me. I've been interested in virtual fighter and splinter cell in the past but never got around to trying either.

Norse

For the price of gold you get 48 games over the year. That's less then $1.50 each! It's a great deal no matter how you look at it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't get why the age of the game matters, a good game is a good game. And if anything, offering older ones increases the chances of making the players discover a forgotten gem.

Because the fact a game being being newer and available at retail automatically makes it better! Didn't you know!?

Justin9mm

I hear everyone making excuses for Microsoft, it's not the age of the game that really matters but why should we not get at least one good game that is still currently worth money to buy now? Sony is doing it far better than Microsoft. I understand they are still giving good games but I want to at least see one current one, not bargain bin ones I've owned and played countless times. You seem happy to pay the Live Gold Price saying it's cheap.. Sounds like Microsoft need to raise the fee because apparently it's such a good deal they must the ones losing out right?

I hear everyone making excuses for Microsoft, it's not the age of the game that really matters but why should we not get at least one good game that is still currently worth money to buy now? Sony is doing it far better than Microsoft. I understand they are still giving good games but I want to at least see one current one, not bargain bin ones I've owned and played countless times. You seem happy to pay the Live Gold Price saying it's cheap.. Sounds like Microsoft need to raise the fee because apparently it's such a good deal they must the ones losing out right?

Fair enough, you don't see the value in it. I appreciate that you want a selection that's newer more to your tastes.

I for one do see the value in it. I like the 360 games this month. My gold expires on Aug 15th and I'll be looking for a good Live Gold deal again.
I'm "content" to pay for Gold. For now. And always looking for a deal.

Last edited:

TimFL

btw if you set your console to south korea you get Zoo Tycoon animal collection for free and if you set it to japan you get loco cycle
You can additionally get them via the mobile app (set region there to KR/Jp temporarily) or the web browser via a localized link. You should also be able to obtain Kalimba that way (offered in both regions).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Nothing I would touch. The lego game was really novel for the time, but those days are over for me, my kids are too old now :(

Akuza89

I'll add them to my ready to install cue, but I don't think I will end up playing those when i get them unfortunately... maybe if I get bored 1 day...

still, some decent titles though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom