• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA - Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

ultron87

Edit: Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTwSmfyDO8 (thanks Foffy).

So there's an XBLA E3 Montage trailer available for download on the Live Marketplace right now. All the games seemed to be announced quantities except for Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. It appears to be a new 2D Castlevania that features multiple heroes from the DS games.

It seems to line up with this rumor posted by Destructoid: http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-6-player-castlevania-harmony-of-despair-revealed-172497.phtml

I looked for the montage video online but couldn't find anyone that has posted it. So quickly, to your Xboxes!

Foffy

Banned
Hmm. Hope it comes to PSN eventually (no hate, I just have some good friends I wanna play with who only own PS3's).

I hope it looks a little bit more appealing than the leaked/rumored shots.

I'll be happy with it as long as it has a full blown adventure/campaign mode like all of Iga's previous games in the series. Throwing in co-op over 'Live sounds awesome. Hopefully it's executed well too.

TxdoHawk

ShockingAlberto said:
I feel really bad for you guys that have high hopes but have not seen it yet.

By "seen" do you mean the last thread we had on this? Because there were some cracked-out things going on with those pictures.

ultron87

Unbiased Basturd said:
??

this is old news. There was a thread about this earlier this year and even pics from in-game. Sort of a cheap COOP Castlevania.

I felt like letting people know that there was footage out for it. And it was never technically officially announced.

So if anyone wants to see this apparent travesty in motion, they now know where to look.

Yeah, was searching for a summer of arcade thread. Doesn't look that appealing to me, Lara Croft, Some boat racing game, some mech shooting game, Castlevania, Limbo. Only look forward to Limbo.

Sectus

The video doesn't show much, but it looks like it could be fun for me.

Personally, I don't get why people are complaining. If Konami had released a new Castlevania for DS with new content and 6 player multiplayer, would people complain? If they release that game to 360 instead, is that suddenly reason to complain? Heck, I wouldn't mind direct ports of the DS Castlevania games to a console or PC. I think the games are a lot of fun, but I don't think playing on a DS is very comfortable.

It doesn't seem Konami wants to put in the effort to revive 2D console Castlevania like CAPCOM did with MegaMan 9 and 10 so far.

This could be fun, but like said it looks pretty "amateurish" in that trailer.

Chemo

Sectus said:
The video doesn't show much, but it looks like it could be fun for me.

Personally, I don't get why people are complaining. If Konami had released a new Castlevania for DS with new content and 6 player multiplayer, would people complain? If they release that game to 360 instead, is that suddenly reason to complain? Heck, I wouldn't mind direct ports of the DS Castlevania games to a console or PC. I think the games are a lot of fun, but I don't think playing on a DS is very comfortable.
I think the complainers are sick to death of shitty lazy 2D IGA Castlevania games, and the fact that this looks somehow even lazier (how is that even possible) certainly isn't endearing it to people of discerning taste.

Foffy

Banned
theMrCravens said:
It doesn't seem Konami wants to put in the effort to revive 2D console Castlevania like CAPCOM did with MegaMan 9 and 10 so far.

Adventure Rebirth seems to have been their attempt, but I don't think they even promoted that game. I think people here talked about it for like, a week. :lol

It actually has new sprites, too.

Castlevania looks terrible, in fact it's borderline awful along with the shitty puzzle game coming out for the iPhone. What a poor effort.

Foffy

Banned
adversesolutions said:
Igavania is good.

This however not only recycles game design but seemingly all assets involved.

Cheap and uninteresting.

And yet, IGA is producing it...

Ever since Dawn of Sorrow, every single Castlevania title IGA has had a hand in has reused some sprite, background, or model, and even though this is my favorite series, I'm absolutely tired of it. I could put the blame of the quality on the game on his head as well as the game director of the game, but there must be something about that man that causes these games to recycle so much.

I mean, think about it: A 2010 game is using sprites that were cutting edge back in 1993.

KAL2006

Banned
That crappy looking fanmade Castlevania with reused sprites and no proper story mode is confirmed to be real?, this day just gets worse.

Cels

Looks kind of meh. I'll still be keeping an eye on this though, love me some Castlevania ever since SotN.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Foffy said:
Adventure Rebirth seems to have been their attempt, but I don't think they even promoted that game. I think people here talked about it for like, a week. :lol

It actually has new sprites, too.
I thought Castlevania Rebirth was good. Not perfect but I had more fun with it than I did with the last Metroidvania (not saying Order of Ecclesia was bad - it's pretty good too! - but Rebirth was just more refreshing after so many Metroidvanias.)

This however I can't get behind. It's like some weird Four Swords type game and it just looks quite janky and unprofessional. What the hell at DoS's final boss just appearing in some seeming random spot.

Chemo

ShockingAlberto said:
For whatever reason, Iga has fallen out of Konami's favor.
Took it long enough to happen! Hopefully they'll dropkick his ass right back to Tokimeki Memorial.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Foffy

Banned
Chemo said:
Took it long enough to happen! Hopefully they'll dropkick his ass right back to Tokimeki Memorial.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

:lol :lol :lol

Let's just hope he isn't like Dracula, hmm? I wouldn't mind Michiru Yamane coming back on board to the series someday, as she was the only consistently solid asset to the IGA generation to Castlevania. Her weak soundtracks were to weak games. And of course she was also pre-IGA, having her hand in some of the better titles on the Genesis.

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
I think they probably made it on a shoestring budget.

For whatever reason, Iga has fallen out of Konami's favor.

So its been confirmed that IGA is making this thing.

Jesus though it looked like a pile of shit, I hope they've been working on a real 2D Casltevania for the 3DS or something.

Enk

makes good threads.
Why do I get the feeling that this won't be the 2d Castlevania console game that anyone wanted?

Foffy said:
And yet, IGA is producing it...

Ever since Dawn of Sorrow, every single Castlevania title IGA has had a hand in has reused some sprite, background, or model, and even though this is my favorite series, I'm absolutely tired of it. I could put the blame of the quality on the game on his head as well as the game director of the game, but there must be something about that man that causes these games to recycle so much.

I mean, think about it: A 2010 game is using sprites that were cutting edge back in 1993.
1991 if dudes like slogra and gaibon show up, no?
weren't they in Super Castlevania IV?

Decado

theMrCravens said:

Wut? Weren't those direct NES ports? I seem to recall they looked worse than some indie games.

Foffy

Banned
_dementia said:
1991 if dudes like slogra and gaibon show up, no?
weren't they in Super Castlevania IV?

I think they were given newer, more fluid sprites for SotN. So they didn't reuse those sprites.

It made sense for SotN to reuse Rondo sprites, considering it's a direct sequel. But to see literally every other IGA game use them has ruined the novelty of them. What's worse is IGA's 3D games, as all of them use pretty much the exact same assets and there's barely a level of difference.

mujun

So is there like a new rule on the site now where every thread of 360 related piece of news gets flooded up with shit?

Yeah, no reason to get worked up here folks. Pretty mediocre looking stuff and that's being more generous than I should be.

mujun said:
So is there like a new rule on the site now where every thread of 360 related piece of news gets flooded up with shit?

Fuck it.

Who cares if it's PS3, 360, Wii, or fucking Commodore 64, the game looked like ass.

Looks pretty crappy, both visually (CV Adventure Rebirth looked way better than this) and gameplay wise (Camera is way too zoomed out, no proper story and reuse of past bosses and gameplay features. Add generic co-op and you've got one uninspired game!)

Top Bottom