• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

banner.png

The Walking Dead: Season 2
--Episode 2: A House Divided - 5$ (400msp), 405MB.

So, question about buying out-of-region XBLA games.

I wanted to buy Virtual-On and Virtua Strikers, so I bought a 2000 yen card off of PlayAsia and redeemed it on my Japanese alt account. The problem is that when I try to download either game it wants me to put in a region-specific billing address. I'm wary of putting one in since I don't want to get console banned. Am I being paranoid, or will they actually ban my console? I'm not trying to game the system and get free downloads or anything...I'm trying to purchase the content for full price with the correct currency on my account.

Also, when did they start doing this? The currency switch? I paid for some EU content with prepaid codes a few years back and it didn't require an address.

EDIT: I signed up for a Tenso account to get a valid Japanese address...should be good to go then?

So, question about buying out-of-region XBLA games.

I wanted to buy Virtual-On and Virtua Strikers, so I bought a 2000 yen card off of PlayAsia and redeemed it on my Japanese alt account. The problem is that when I try to download either game it wants me to put in a region-specific billing address. I'm wary of putting one in since I don't want to get console banned. Am I being paranoid, or will they actually ban my console? I'm not trying to game the system and get free downloads or anything...I'm trying to purchase the content for full price with the correct currency on my account.

Also, when did they start doing this? The currency switch? I paid for some EU content with prepaid codes a few years back and it didn't require an address.

EDIT: I signed up for a Tenso account to get a valid Japanese address...should be good to go then?

It is been a while, but I only had to enter a valid address when making my Japanese account. And I use the address of our embassy in Tokyo, just in case.

Vert boil

Updating at the moment, double check prices before buying. I'll update throughout the day.
Everything is listed in USD. Check your region for local prices.

DOTW

BIT.TRIP Presents… Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - 5$ (400msp) (was 15$)
Capsized - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
Doodle Jump - 1$ (80msp) (was 5$)
Foul Play - 5$ (400msp) (was 15$)
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - 5$ (400msp) (was 15$)
Hexodius - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
Sanctum 2 - 5$ (400msp) (was 15$)
Retro City Rampage - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - 10$ (800msp) (was 20$)

Eternal Sonata - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)
Euro GoD version

Soul Calibur 5 - 3.74$ (300msp) (was 15$)

-----

CoD: Ghosts - 40$ (3200msp) (was 60$)

Madden 25 - 50$ (4000msp) (was 60$)

NCAA Football 14 - 50$ (4000msp) (was 60$)

NHL 14 - 50$ (4000msp) (was 60$)

Pac-man and the Ghostly Adventures - 20$ (1600msp) (was 40$)

-----
Games with gold bits, (Expires this Sunday. Dungeon Defenders is the next game.)

Civilization Revolution - free (was 30$)

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - free (was 1200¥) Japanese gold account needed

2009kskk.png

Lima

Did they ever fix the achievements for Capsized? Fucking loved the demo but I will refuse to buy this game if they haven't.

Awesome! Look forward to it! Maybe Capy can go and have a little chat with OneLifeLeft/Gamasutra's official GDC podcast and share some tidbits?! Have a good one!

I love OneLifeLeft and Ste is an amazing dude. Will definitely try! I think I missed last years but was on with Cindy from Kickstarter a couple years ago.

Capy!

Will we see more of Below at GDC too or is that dark until STF is released?

You will be seeing a lot more of Below quite soon, but not at GDC.

Game Informer just posted a relatively long interview Kris (co-founder/creative director/Below director) and I did online. It's from print way back in like September so *lots* has changed, but there's some worthwhile-but-still-sorta-vague stuff in there.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...leads-the-indie-games-charge-on-xbox-one.aspx

excowboy

I love OneLifeLeft and Ste is an amazing dude. Will definitely try! I think I missed last years but was on with Cindy from Kickstarter a couple years ago.

I think if you tweet any of the OLL crew they'll bite your hand off - they are brill - Ste is good, but Simon is best! (Ann is lovely too!)

You will be seeing a lot more of Below quite soon, but not at GDC.

Game Informer just posted a relatively long interview Kris (co-founder/creative director/Below director) and I did online. It's from print way back in like September so *lots* has changed, but there's some worthwhile-but-still-sorta-vague stuff in there.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...leads-the-indie-games-charge-on-xbox-one.aspx

Thanks, really looking forward to seeing more of Below and finally playing Super Time Force.

Will definitely check out the interview later on tonight.

Promo on the UK store...

Spend £50, get £5 back and rather stupidly, it's limited to the 360 store...

“March Offer” terms and conditions: Buy £50 worth of products in the online Xbox 360 Store between 00:01 UTC 11th March 2014 and 23:59 UTC 25th March 2014 and receive £5 of credit to spend on your next purchase in the online Xbox 360 Store. Offer available in United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Austria, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal, South Africa, Russia, Poland, Greece, Hungary and Czech Republic only. You need to be an Xbox Live member to benefit from this offer. If you do not own an Xbox Live account you can create one for free (ISP charges may apply) at the following address https://signup.live.com. This promotion applies to any content purchased from the online Xbox 360 Store during the promotional period mentioned above. Content of the Xbox 360 Store may vary by country. £50 or more can be a single or combination of multiple orders made during the promotional period as long as in case of multiple orders the total amount of these orders is equal to or exceeds £50. Each customer will be eligible for one £5 credit only, irrespective of total spend over £50 during the promotional period. Some titles may only be available for download by Xbox Live account holders aged 18 or more. Kinect and/or hard drive are required for some games. You should receive the token for the £5 credit by email to the email address linked to your Xbox Live account within 6 weeks of the promotion end date. This email will be sent from xbox@engage.xbox.com. The token must be redeemed before 30 June, 2014 23.59 UTC and must be used on the online Xbox 360 Store within 365 days of redemption. Credit is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other rebate or offer. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the customer.

Same here in Belgium. What make me laugh, is the suggestions. They suggest you the most expensive games on demand (like Diablo III for 69.99€).

Diable 3 is 70 Euro? What the hell.

Should have been released on Wednesday but there was a snafu,

boxartlg.jpg

Constant C - 10$ (800msp), 232MB.

Sigh, this looks great and MS just push it out with no fanfare or announcements. Will download later tonight.

Gave the trial a go, not buying it. Maybe it's more me than the game, I dunno, but I just got no satisfaction from it at all. It's physics puzzlers in general, really, you can't be sure if you've come up with an elegant solution to a problem or just completely fluked your way to a bullshit solution, and so you never really feel happy about what you've done. What's the point of a puzzle game when you don't feel clever for solving a puzzle?

As soon as the levels started having no boundaries and just arbitrarily killing you I packed it in.

Gave the trial a go, not buying it. Maybe it's more me than the game, I dunno, but I just got no satisfaction from it at all. It's physics puzzlers in general, really, you can't be sure if you've come up with an elegant solution to a problem or just completely fluked your way to a bullshit solution, and so you never really feel happy about what you've done. What's the point of a puzzle game when you don't feel clever for solving a puzzle?

As soon as the levels started having no boundaries and just arbitrarily killing you I packed it in.

These are pretty much my thoughts too. Didn't really get on with it as much as I thought I would, Might pick it up when it goes on sale though.

Another released at an odd time,

boxartlg.jpg

Skydive: Proximity Flight - 7$ (560msp), 747MB...

Huh, MS really are all over the place with releases at the moment. I guess that's to be expected with their split focus on Live Arade and ID@, but you'd think they'd have separate teams working on both...

Damn, I only have a two hundred mile long stick.
As per usual I will download it.
It may well be another donkey but it can't be any wore than Shit Many Robots.

DD is fantastic, possible the best tower defense game on XBLA. Do yourself a favour and give it a try, at least.

Dungeon Defenders gameplay:

RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT

It's just that fun.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, no. That's neither an accurate representation of the action element, nor fair to the tower defense/loot/coop components. Not to mention the fact that you can complete every level with towers only ('Pure Strategy'), so no pressing RT required.

But hey, don't let me get in the way of your irrational dislike for that game.

acm2000

Dungeon Defenders gameplay:

RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT RT

It's just that fun.

so its a diablo clone?

It was my experience of the game. The whole thing is so shittily balanced, levels go on far too long and get boring LONG before the end, and you could REALLY tell that it was a mobile phone game when you were playing it because there are so many stupid and irritating control quirks due to there being no buttons on an iPhone.

It's probably the kind of game you could get something out of if you spend 150 hours levelling up and collecting loot so that the game is less irritating, but who the fuck wants to do that to make a game fun? Not me, anyway, I'd rather just play games that manage to be good the whole time.

Didn't help also that the game is populated entirely by dicks. I didn't play a single game with a nice, or helpful random when I was playing it which isn't really the game's fault but the community was just the worst I've ever experienced on XBLA.

I'm curious as to which part of your laws it falls foul of. Anti crayon rulings?

Horrible deaths and impaling?

Yes, it is a beautiful game (asthetics and gameplay wise) but with a dark sense of humour. I do not let my 6 years old play it because of that. It is a small child nightmare (brother being kidnaped, learning how to advance usually by getting cought in traps).

abracadaver

I'm curious as to which part of your laws it falls foul of. Anti crayon rulings?

It didnt get an age rating in time for the release and microsoft does not release games without one. The rating came at the end of december (for ages 6 and above) and they said the game will be released in early january. That was 3 months ago. Since then they only said it will come "soon".

I am still sad that Final Doom didnt get released on XBLA. It was ESRB rated so it must have been finished. Why didnt they release it ?

Lima

Nothing actually. The game missed its original release date because it was submitted late to the USK.
It was rated ab 6 years and older on December 19th, 2013.

This shit is entirely on MS or Press Play. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Top Bottom