• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

I guess Super Meat Boy is the highest possible regarding this criteria?

Super Meat Boy is different. For me, SMB was more about developing the muscle memory to beat one specific level at a time, whereas Trials and Spelunky have you developing skills/knowledge that you can use elsewhere and throughout the game as a whole.

(SMB is amazing, of course)

I'm still torn on Spelunky. I've had the demo on my 360 since the day it came out. I've played it numerous times, but I just can't tell how I'm going to handle the frustration that game will cause me.

I'm still torn on Spelunky. I've had the demo on my 360 since the day it came out. I've played it numerous times, but I just can't tell how I'm going to handle the frustration that game will cause me.
It'll be different for everyone but I found the frustration level to be just right for the amount I've played (up to unlocking the last batch of levels). You'll die a lot but you'll also slowly start to recognize what your surroundings represent and develop strategies for surviving. You may get unlucky levels but more often than not a "bad" level can still be hurried through.

If you're very cheevo-motivated then I might say avoid unless you want a major challenge. Also I suggest looking at gamefaqs at times, particularly for knowing certain requirements in advance.

Great game, and if you don't own it I'd say it makes up for lack of other great deals on currently known for XBLA BF (Tomb Raider is great too, and everyone should own it).

Izick

How is Retro City Rampage STILL not out on the 360?

Fuck it, I think I'll buy Spelunky, Magic+ it's expansion. Those are all solid, right?

angelfly

I think I'll pick up Magic along with the DLC (haven't played since middle school) but I'm going to wait until we see that actual BF and CM deals.

Rlan

Sonic The Fighters, Fighting Vipers, and Virtua Fighter 2 are up on Xbox.com now.

boxartlg.jpg

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Sonic-the-Fighters/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841129e

Join Sonic and friends in battle in this classic arcade game from AM2. Originally on consoles as part of the Sonic Gems collection, Sonic the Fighters is back with an all-new online mode, including both online versus and tournament play. In single player mode, choose from 10 playable characters and fight through 8 stages to stop Dr. Robotnik and Metal Sonic from unleashing the Death Egg II! Features include: True to its arcade form with all-new online modes All 8 original characters and arenas Online versus mode for head-to-head matches Online Room match mode for up to 6 players

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

boxartlg.jpg

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Virtua-Fighter-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841129c

Go back to the roots of 3-D fighting with Virtua Fighter 2, the second title in AM2's flagship fighting franchise. Experience the legendary polygon-based 3-D graphics and fluid fighting mechanics that made the game so influential in the arcades, and later on the Sega Saturn. With all-new online play you can battle friends throughout the world. Features include: True to its arcade form with all-new online modes All 10 original characters and arenas Online versus mode for head-to-head matches Online Room match mode for up to 6 players

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

boxartlg.jpg

Fight with flair in the return of Fighting Vipers, the classic arcade game from AM2 that was later playable on the Sega Saturn. Choose one of nine zany characters--including Grace the roller blader and Raxel the metal guitarist-- and break your opponent's costume-based armor to maximize damage. Take advantage of all-new online modes to battle friends across the world. Features include: True to its arcade form with all-new online modes All 9 original characters, each with their own unique costume and hobby Enclosed arenas, enabling special wall attacks Online versus mode for head-to-head matches Online Room match mode for up to 6 players

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Fighiting-Vipers/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841129d

screenlg1.jpg

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg6.jpg

Looks like they're doing a great job of the emulation, but are doing bare bones of extra features. I guess it's just $5 anyway.

Falt

Is it expected that there will be more games on sale this Friday?

I'm thinking about picking up Spelunky, but I only have 1000 points and don't want to get burned if something drops that I've been eyeing up. Do I take the plunge or hold out till Friday. Decisions, decisions.

Is it expected that there will be more games on sale this Friday?

I'm thinking about picking up Spelunky, but I only have 1000 points and don't want to get burned if something drops that I've been eyeing up. Do I take the plunge or hold out till Friday. Decisions, decisions.

One post up, man. One post!

Izick

Part of me wants to buy Mark of the Ninja, Dust, or Walking Dead though...I had 2 episodes of Walking Dead for my PS3, since I have PS+, but I'd have to either renew PS+ to play episodes 3-5 or buy episode 1 and then 3-5.

Part of me wants to buy Mark of the Ninja, Dust, or Walking Dead though...I had 2 episodes of Walking Dead for my PS3, since I have PS+, but I'd have to either renew PS+ to play episodes 3-5 or buy episode 1 and then 3-5.

I'd buy more MS Points if I were you. Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja and Dust are all genuine Game of the Year quality games and you really need them all. Magic's great as well.

DasRaven

I'd buy more MS Points if I were you. Spelunky, Mark of the Ninja and Dust are all genuine Game of the Year quality games and you really need them all. Magic's great as well.

All the more reason to hold out until this years "12 Days" end of year XBLA sale.
MotN & Dust will certainly be part of it. That's what I'm hoping/doing.

The whole of you should want to buy mark of the ninja. It's that good.

Mark of the Ninja has never even been on my radar and I'm an XBLA nut.

Perhaps I should look at a demo if I can pull myself off of the Wii U this weekend.

SpokkX

Mark of the Ninja has never even been on my radar and I'm an XBLA nut.

Perhaps I should look at a demo if I can pull myself off of the Wii U this weekend.

Mark of the Ninja is _by far_ my favoritete XBLive arcade game

And I have played most games on live arcade that are considered good

Izick

Mark of the Ninja is super fun! Considering buying it instead of waiting for Retro City Rampage to hit XBL, or buying the first 3 Walking Dead episodes (which I've already played 2 on PS3 through PS+).

Mark of the Ninja is super fun! Considering buying it instead of waiting for Retro City Rampage to hit XBL, or buying the first 3 Walking Dead episodes (which I've already played 2 on PS3 through PS+).

The Walking Dead is incredible. I highly recommend purchasing all five episodes and letting yourself be sucked into the story.

Socreges

Banned
Am I the only one not impressed with The Walking Dead? Only played through episode 1,but it was so awkward for a game that's driven almost exclusively by its story.

Mark of the Ninja is awesome. Only played the trial, but I plan plan to get the full game. Probably won't wait for a sale.

Is there much variety in each chapter? I could see the game getting repetitive.

Am I the only one not impressed with The Walking Dead? Only played through episode 1,but it was so awkward for a game that's driven almost exclusively by its story.

Mark of the Ninja is awesome. Only played the trial, but I plan plan to get the full game. Probably won't wait for a sale.

Is there much variety in each chapter? I could see the game getting repetitive.

There are various different enemies and skills later on, but ultimately the goal in each level is similar. The real variety comes from yourself and the challenges you set yourself. Kill every guard in a level, or kill no guards in a level, don't get spotted, only kill guards by getting other guards to kill them, no items, or however else you want to play it. If one way of playing isn't doing it for you, there's another right there.

Noogy

Spelunky is definitely one of my games of the year. I'm up to 500+ deaths now and I'm still hungry for more.

Yep, Spelunky is probably my favorite XBLA title of the year as well (without going into biased territory). My only problem with it is that it takes way too long to boot up the 360 and get a game started, since it's a great impulse 'play' game.

Kerub

Banned
Yep, Spelunky is probably my favorite XBLA title of the year as well (without going into biased territory). My only problem with it is that it takes way too long to boot up the 360 and get a game started, since it's a great impulse 'play' game.

Mine is Dust! :)

jgkspsx

I bought Mark of the Ninja at full price after playing the demo the first week. No regrets.

There's a lot of potential in Pid's demo but a lot of frustration too. Any further reactions? I always wanted an Earthbound platformer spinoff.

So I bought a 4000 point card with a $10 loyalty certificate. I'd just cracked 10K gamerscore, and thought I would get the MyAchievements rebate on the purchases once I blew it all this week. But noooo... it only starts on December 1. Well, that's $0.50 wasted.

any news on todays one day only xbla sales? assuming theyre doing it this year

Seen no leaks this year......last year's was leaked a few days early and their 12 days of Xmas was leaked day one.

I hope they still do it for Black friday, every other year they've always done one day deals. Good ones too.

BADNED

Arcade

Quantum Conundrum 600MSP

DLC (400MSP ea)

GR Future Soldier: Arctic Strike
Arkham City: Harley's Revenge
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Forza Horizon October Car Pack
You are missing some and the Horizon Pack is 200.

Arcade
Dungeon Defenders 600MSP
Quantum Conundrum 600MSP

DLC
GR Future Soldier: Arctic Strike 400MSP
GR Future Soldier: Raven Strike 600MSP
Arkham City: Harley's Revenge 400MSP
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan 400MSP
Forza Horizon October Car Pack 200MSP

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Promotion/black-friday-2012

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I could almost be interested in getting Quantum Conundrum if I hadn't heard it wasn't great. Aside from that, it's another uninspiring sale. But then again, what do you expect from Microsoft?

Jhoan

Harley Quinn's Revenge or Levianthan? Which one will be on sale eventually?

I mean both around the same amount of hours IIRC (1.5-3 hours). I might go with the latter since I heard the former is very underwhelming.

I could almost be interested in getting Quantum Conundrum if I hadn't heard it wasn't great. Aside from that, it's another uninspiring sale. But then again, what do you expect from Microsoft?

it's not a bad game, it's much better than I thought it would be. it's very reminiscent of portal. the powers and stuff are cool and the puzzles are great. I would recommend it at its current price, probably not at its full price though.

Harley Quinn's Revenge or Levianthan? Which one will be on sale eventually?

I mean both around the same amount of hours IIRC (1.5-3 hours). I might go with the latter since I heard the former is very underwhelming.

I bought harley's revenge. I regretted it soon after, it's not a good piece of content. short, poor story and generally not as good or up to the quality of the main game. avoid it until it drops in price again / drops in price even further.

Jhoan

I bought harley's revenge. I regretted it soon after, it's not a good piece of content. short, poor story and generally not as good or up to the quality of the main game. avoid it until it drops in price again / drops in price even further.

I'd figure as much. I read so many bad impressions of it on the Batman: AC OT it wasn't even funny. Leviathan it is then, thanks.

I'd figure as much. I read so many bad impressions of it on the Batman: AC OT it wasn't even funny. Leviathan it is then, thanks.

no problems. it's disappointing how bad it is, I loved the main game, so immediately jumped on the dlc when it reduced earlier, couldn't believe how bad it was. it's like there was zero effort put into the content, felt like something the developers put together over a couple of days to cash in the games success.

Top Bottom