• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Halo 3 is free for gold tomorrow, but I just looked it up in advance. $15 in the US, $40 in Canada.
Microsoft hates Canada confirmed.
I guess you could say they are giving us a free $40 game tomorrow, woohoo!

has anyone ever had troubles with saves/accounts after changing their gamertag? i want to change mine, but i'm worried if some saves won't recognize my new name or if i'll lose progress in mass effect 3/gta online/etc other games where your data is saved server side.

Lima

has anyone ever had troubles with saves/accounts after changing their gamertag? i want to change mine, but i'm worried if some saves won't recognize my new name or if i'll lose progress in mass effect 3/gta online/etc other games where your data is saved server side.

No that is not an issue. Saves are signed with the profile ID which is not affected by a name change.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Hexodius - 10$ (800msp), 396MB.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Special Editions - 10$ (800msp), 107MB.
(Previously released in europe. NA originally had a retail kinect game instead.)

Also,

Pinball FX 2
--Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force - 10$ (800msp)
(Darth Vader, Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: Starfighter Assault)

-----
Game with gold bits, (expires at the end of the month)

Halo 3 - free (was 15$)

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - free (was 10$) Belgium, Switzerland gold account needed

Additional reductions, (gold only, expires at the end of the month)

Halo 3
--Mythic II Map Pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)

aku:jiki

Gonna check out Hexodius, but it needs to be damn fun to charm me with those ugly ass graphics.

is halo 3 the last free game?
What? There's supposed to be a limit? That makes it a pretty pathetic offering if so.

Oh, wait, that sounds pretty much exactly right for Microsoft. Next up; rebate of 0.02% of your marketplace spending for the year (rebate can only be spent on selected titles ($10 or less (offer only valid between 0400 and 0405 on tuesdays (in Estonia)))).

Brakara

They've only announced for this year. We don't know if they'll continue next year or not.

And, no, Halo 3 isn't the last one.

Feindflug

is halo 3 the last free game?

No, we have two months left so 4 free games left..also MS hasn't confirmed if they're going to continue the Games with Gold program at 2014 or not and if it will be only on Xbone, 360 or both.

BTW Hexodius looks really cool, I'll definitely check out the demo.

Oynox

I hope they will offer Bad Company 2 as one of the four leftover games... that would push the player account again. Best BF on consoles in my opinion.

The LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Demo is available now, the Payday 2 Demo should come up soon as well.

TheMan

No, we have two months left so 4 free games left..also MS hasn't confirmed if they're going to continue the Games with Gold program at 2014 or not and if it will be only on Xbone, 360 or both.

i see. i thought the original announcement stated that we'd get games up until the launch of the xboner, but i guess they've decided to extend passed that. sounds good to me.

Tried Hexodius, and it seems alright but not particularly spectacular. I quite like the way it's set up, the dungeon crawling aspect of it, but it doesn't really add much to the twin-stick sections and they're pretty unremarkable. You'll recognise enemies from Geometry Wars and it just makes you want to play Geometry Wars.

Finally finished Shuggy today as well. I got the first three achievements a year or so ago and then left it, but I've been playing it the last couple of days and now stand at 11/12 after finishing all of the levels. Some pretty tough ones in there, but the time-based ones are substantially harder than everything else and there aren't too many problems posed outside those levels. The last achievement is for completing the co-op campaign and that's local only, so I might have to never finish it, but I really enjoyed the single player campaign. So much variety.

Finally finished Shuggy today as well. I got the first three achievements a year or so ago and then left it, but I've been playing it the last couple of days and now stand at 11/12 after finishing all of the levels. Some pretty tough ones in there, but the time-based ones are substantially harder than everything else and there aren't too many problems posed outside those levels. The last achievement is for completing the co-op campaign and that's local only, so I might have to never finish it, but I really enjoyed the single player campaign. So much variety.

I got that last achievement by myself and I don't remember it taking particularly long. I believe there were a few in particular that were frustrating but definitely doable.

Phew, for a second there I was worrying that video games were moving away from the "generic as fuck" genre, but thank goodness that Alien Rage is there to keep the flag flying.

lifelower

It was on a presentation screen at dev session at Tokyo. Of course it's unlikely a final box art but I couldn't help to capture because of the XBLA banner on it :)

jbug617

Banned
What do you mean? Has it been confirmed?

Yes.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/10/xbox-360-games-with-gold

At E3 2013, we launched Games with Gold as a limited-time program to thank our Xbox Live Gold members. Within that short period of time, we’ve seen an overwhelming response, with more than 120 million hours played with Games with Gold titles. Today, as a part of the “Week of Xbox Live,” we’re excited to announce that we are making Games with Gold an ongoing benefit for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I have about 50 bucks left in Microsoft ether-money. I just want Diablo III. Once I got that lurking on my hard drive, I'll be good. I'm waiting for that to go on sale digitally. I know that I'll have a while to wait, but I'm patient. I have so many games on my Xbox 360 to play, that I won't need to worry about free time for a good year or so.

I have about 50 bucks left in Microsoft ether-money. I just want Diablo III. Once I got that lurking on my hard drive, I'll be good. I'm waiting for that to go on sale digitally. I know that I'll have a while to wait, but I'm patient. I have so many games on my Xbox 360 to play, that I won't need to worry about free time for a good year or so.

Just be careful, any money that was credited to your account when your Microsoft Point balance was changed into real money will expire in a year.

And add me to the "I want a sale on Horizon DLC!" parade. I've only got about 1,600pts left and if a sale doesn't come soon then I'll never get it, because once they're gone I'm done with XBLA.

Just be careful, any money that was credited to your account when your Microsoft Point balance was changed into real money will expire in a year.

And add me to the "I want a sale on Horizon DLC!" parade. I've only got about 1,600pts left and if a sale doesn't come soon then I'll never get it, because once they're gone I'm done with XBLA.

my converted points all expire on 6/2015...

i want dat rally DLC discounted as well, and i'll prob get D3 when it gets marked down too; not many other games i don't own that i wouldn't rather get on PC (i'd rather have joystick play than clickclickclickclick0

Feindflug

Damnit why can't any of the DLC, specifically the Rally one go on sale?

I'm waiting on a sale on the Rally DLC too (hopefully at 800 points), I finished the game about a month ago and this will be a nice excuse to play the game again.

BTW I played the trial of Hexodius and what a dull and boring game that is, the concept is interesting but the execution is really lacking...also the game has some of the most annoying sound effects I've heard in a long time. As toythatkills said earlier in this thread what this game does is make you want to play Geo wars 2. :p

Also about the free games with Gold program I don't know if this has been posted:

Microsoft's free Xbox games with Gold program covers "up to £30 of top titles" each month

Whilst the news this morning that the Xbox Live service Games With Gold will be extended indefinitely certainly makes us happy, a closer look at some of the terms and conditions suggests that Microsoft has put a price cap on that happiness - £30 per month, to be precise.

"Every month, our members can download two games to keep, exclusively with Xbox Live Gold," says the blurb on the Games with Gold info page on the official Xbox site. "That's up to £30 worth of top titles to add to your digital collection each month. But make sure you don't miss out, as they're only available to download for a short space of time."

Click to view larger image
It seems, then, that our monthly freebies cannot surpass the combined price tag of thirty quid. Among other games, this would rule out the possibility of receiving a free copy of Halo 4, which is currently going for £39.99 via Games on Demand.

There's no indication of how that £30 is split, but the division seems to be fairly even. Look at this month's offerings, for example - Halo 3 usually sells for £14.99 via Games on Demand, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes can be downloaded through the service for £9.99.

Now, we're not ones to look a gift horse in the mouth - a free game is a free game is a free game after all, and once downloaded each game is yours forever. But the price ceiling is worth bearing in mind when pondering what the next batch of offerings might be. Also worth thinking about - the extension to the service makes no mention of it being available on the Xbox One, though Microsoft's Pav Bhardwaj has elsewhere suggested that it could "evolve" into something else on next gen consoles.

OFC every NFS except for the fucking one i want is on sale (carbon). most wanted is one of my favorite games ever (original MW, not the sequel). are any of these worth it? i have a pc so if they are way better on pc then the answer's no. how's the run? is that good? or is the pc one leagues better? i'd only consider that or prostreet, but prostreet doesn't seem good enough to warrant a purchase.

why all these games and not a discount on carbon, geez!

ev0

OFC every NFS except for the fucking one i want is on sale (carbon). most wanted is one of my favorite games ever (original MW, not the sequel). are any of these worth it? i have a pc so if they are way better on pc then the answer's no. how's the run? is that good? or is the pc one leagues better? i'd only consider that or prostreet, but prostreet doesn't seem good enough to warrant a purchase.

why all these games and not a discount on carbon, geez!

NFS Carbon is def old enough to eventually be a Games with Gold game?

FUME5

Skulls of the Shogun is definitely worth 5 bucks.

Also, I saw an article earlier (can't seem to find it though) about the continuation of Games with Gold stating that the value of both games for that month won't be more than £30.

aku:jiki

Got around to some new demos last night...

Alien Rage: As generic as you would assume, but much less crap than expected. Gameplay was actually fine and the graphics were nice; I really liked the gun handling and the point system. This one might be a bored sunday purchase or definitely during a sale.
Foul Play: Not my thing, gameplaywise, and I hate this specific Flash animation type look. Deleted.
Girl Fight: Entirely unsurprisingly, it plays like Spartacus but without the cheeze moves. Reminds me of the PS1 era of girl fighters, back when there were dozens of DOA clones, and that's not a good thing. Deleted.
Hexodius: Nice, smooth controls and what seemed like a fun game setup with the room exploration and whatnot. Only needed a couple of minutes to know that I'll be picking this one up sometime soon.
Marlow Briggs: Demo was actually surprisingly amusing, from the silly cutscenes to the gameplay. Will give this one a shot on sale.

Vert boil

Updating at the moment, double check prices before buying. I'll update throughout the day.
Everything is listed in USD. Check your region for local prices.

DOTW

Need for speed: Hot pursuit - 10$ (800msp) (was 20$)

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) - 20$ (1600msp) (was 40$)
--Booster pack - 2.50$ (200msp) (was 5$)
--Complete dlc bundle - 15$ (1200msp) (was 30$)
--Deluxe dlc bundle - 12.50$ (1000msp) (was 25$)
--Mod unlock 1 - 1.50$ (120msp) (was 3$)
--Mod unlock 2 - 1.50$ (120msp) (was 3$)
--Mod unlock 3 - 1.50$ (120msp) (was 3$)
--Movie legends pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--NFS Heroes pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--Premium mod unlock - 3.50$ (280msp) (was 7$)
--Premium time savers pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--Terminal velocity pack - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)
--Time saver - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
--Ultimate speed pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)

Need for speed: ProStreet - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)

Need for speed: The Run - 10$ (800msp) (was 20$)

-----

Dead Island Riptide - 40$ (3200msp) (was 50$)

Forza Horizon - 15$ (1200msp) (was 30$)

Metro 2033 - 20$ (1600msp) (was 30$)

The Darkness 2 - 30$ (2400msp) (was 40$)

-----
Shocktober/Frightfest sale (two week sale, possible that there will be some other bits available next week)

Bloodforge - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime - 2.50$ (200msp) (was 5$)
Limbo - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)
Skulls of the Shogun - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)
The Walking Dead (base game/first episode is still free)
--400 Days - 2.50$ (200msp) (was 5$)

Ghostbusters - 7.50$ (600msp) (was 15$)

----------
Game with gold bits, (expires at the end of the month)

Halo 3 - free (was 15$)

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - free (was 10$) Belgium, Korean or Swiss gold account needed

Additional reductions, (gold only, expires at the end of the month)

Halo 3
--Mythic II Map Pack - 5$ (400msp) (was 10$)

Top Bottom