• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone Game DVR sharing only over Live at Launch, YouTube & Facebook added Next Year

Gowans

Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly.

Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

Source: destructoid.com

I know this was touched on in a different topic but isn't this a big deal? Might as well not be there till you can share it outside the console for some.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hopefully it's going to be nearer the start of the year.

TriGen

Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

If I want to actually record anything from the console I'll just use Twitch.

iBuzz7S

Banned
Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.
Not after, by. So there's every chance that it'll be available before the end of 2013.

Not like I was worried anyway. Already have a HD PVR 2 to do my capturing with.

Gowans

It seems like a really core thing to miss, a tonne of simple and small phone apps allow this can't be that hard to implement wonder what the hold up is, or have they just not enough staff to code the UI.

Makes you think how many announced features on both systems are not coming at launch.

I am convinced that the Xbox One wasn't slated for release this year. There's just no way. How can someone be confident in buying the console when it's so half-assed? Microsoft is something else.

Salex_

It sounds like MS wants us to buy the console now and then they'll explain everything and add all of core features later on. They should have just released the Xbox One early 2014. Where's the games that shows off what Kinect 2.0 can do?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It seems like a really core thing to miss, a tonne of simple and small phone apps allow this can't be that hard to implement wonder what the hold up is, or have they just not enough staff to code the UI.

Makes you think how many announced features on both systems are not coming at launch.

Yeah but I don't think the Xbox One will be able to upload directly to youtube. It might first have to upload to the Xbox Live account and then it gets transferred from there so that MS can monitor what you're uploading to ensure you comply to the TOS.

The infrastructure to move content from the Live servers to the Youtube servers etc... might require quite a lot of work.

But I agree. For such an important feature. It really should have been there day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if MS could share them via an XBL website, and they could the let you share it more widely with Facebook etc from there as a link? Not as ideal as fully integrated, but better than being completely stuck inside the XBL walled garden

madmackem

Outside of the usa most xboxone features so far seem to be dropping off.

TriGen

I wonder if MS could share them via an XBL website, and they could the let you share it more widely with Facebook etc from there as a link? Not as ideal as fully integrated, but better than being completely stuck inside the XBL walled garden

I thought of that as well. Having an XBL site you could grab them from so you could upload to other places would be nice.

madmackem

Yeah but I don't think the Xbox One will be able to upload directly to youtube. It might first have to upload to the Xbox Live account and then it gets transferred from there so that MS can monitor what you're uploading to ensure you comply to the TOS.

The infrastructure to move content from the Live servers to the Youtube servers etc... might require quite a lot of work.

But I agree. For such an important feature. It really should have been there day one.

You can do it with a few games right away on ps3 also i think drift allows you to do it on 360 direct to youtube.

Source: destructoid.com

I know this was touched on in a different topic but isn't this a big deal? Might as well not be there till you can share it outside the console for some.

no not really, what is a big deal is not being able to use capture cards on ps4 day one.this feature i never had before when it comes it comes.

cyberheater

You can do it with a few games right away on ps3 also i think drift allows you to do it on 360 direct to youtube.

Hopefully MS will fire out a tweet/comment why it's not a launch feature.

Scooby

I am convinced that the Xbox One wasn't slated for release this year. There's just no way. How can someone be confident in buying the console when it's so half-assed? Microsoft is something else.

I'm guessing the policy switch set them back a bit.

As long as Twitch is available at launch I don't really care personally. Do we know for sure that Twitch will be able to stream any game or do the devs have to make it specifically available/be able to block it?

mocoworm

Features on the PS4 are also being released later (Gaikai) so I don't know what the big deal is. You can still share over the LIVE network.

Amir0x

Banned
Really.

Since Albert Penello is fond of saying that the reasons all these sorts of delays are happening are because of the changes they had to make after the 180s... In what way would those 180s have impacted this delay? Why would the switch have changed youtube or facebook being ready for sharing purposes?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I get the feeling that MS had no plans for such a feature at all until the PS 4 reveal.

Rapstah

Okay, but streaming is still through Twitch? I feel like streaming and "game DVR" are getting mixed up but streaming is way more important than being able to upload 30 second clips.

Amir0x

Banned
As long as Twitch is available at launch I don't really care personally. Do we know for sure that Twitch will be able to stream any game or do the devs have to make it specifically available/be able to block it?

It says it will -only- be able to be shared over Xbox Live at launch... doesn't sound like Twitch is going to available at launch or am I reading it wrong? It's frankly hard to keep track anymore.

Okay, but streaming is still through Twitch? I feel like streaming and "game DVR" are getting mixed up but streaming is way more important than being able to upload 30 second clips.

Not if you want to save that "OMG I can't believe that just happened" moments to show later

FeiRR

Banned
Features on the PS4 are also being released later (Gaikai) so I don't know what the big deal is. You can still share over the LIVE network.

Maybe some people would like to share with those of their friends who don't use Live nor have XBL accounts. I also wonder what Machinima will do now.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I feel like there are less features now than when the XB1 was announced. Taking away the DRM policy stuff. I think MS is gonna be in for a rough PR ride when things that people expected aren't there at launch.

kadotsu

Banned
It says it will -only- be able to be shared over Xbox Live at launch... doesn't sound like Twitch is going to available at launch or am I reading it wrong?

Livestreaming isn't under the DVR featureset I believe. So it should be there at launch. It would also be too important to not mention a twitch delay.

Seanspeed

Banned
I didn't even realize you were going to be able to stream straight to Youtube and Facebook.

EDIT: I'm confusing the 'recording' function with streaming here, ok. A little disappointing not to upload clips straight to Youtube then. That's a pretty convenient feature to not have.

Jezehbell

Xbox Live ? Well... I think we'll have a Twitter-like, with status, updates and others things like "Your friend has unlocked 3 achievements".

The problem is that MS has been doing this for a while now.

"Oh that feature we advertised? Not avaiable at launch" is basically becoming the console's slogan. It just makes the console sound rushed and half assed and makes me worry about any potential launch problems this thing might have.

Top Bottom