• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbone PR: the 60 Minute Family Plan Revelation

Loxley

Wow.

So many people turned into pissy little boggarts.

So many journalists throwing any integrity left in the trash.

So many members banned...

Over TIMED DEMOS.

Just let that sink in for a moment...

Yeah, it's nuts.

Oh MS, we never should have doubted that you'd be you.

Vodh

Well this made the policy-reversal even sweeter. That would have been a disaster.

Sweeter? More like exposed Microsoft for the anti-consumerist assholes they are even more. They're using it now to paint the picture of a glorious lost digital age that is no longer possible because of short-sighted gamers, the only problem is that the lost future they have to regretfully abandon never actually existed in the first place.

Hope the word gets out and is properly spread, though it does lack proof so it's not going to hurt Microsoft too much. And it's a shame, because they deserve all the shit they would have gotten for that.

Funny, but no. That answer was given in the context of gaming while not connected to the internet, and how would you share your library with someone who isn't on the internet? This is an entirely different feature, one they would do well to implement regardless of the DRM situation.

But how would your disc even WORK on a friend's console at their house if NOT for the sharing feature? Remember, you'd need to connect online for it to work.

What's the point in gifting a timed demo? Shouldn't everyone have access to the same timed demo?

You would think so. People already pay for Xbox Gold, why not offer more incentives to go with it? Why can't they still do those social features? It's almost like they have to punish us for not wanting to support their vision. They can still implement things without all the restrictions.

But how would your disc even WORK on a friend's console at their house if NOT for the sharing feature? Remember, you'd need to connect online for it to work.

You need to make it so that it is convenient which is through the cloud and to make sure it can't be exploited which probably explains the online check-ins. The whole purpose was to get rid of discs so that you can just access those games anytime from anywhere.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly you should get an hour with any game you want as a trial anyways IMO

Would certainly make me buy more games

PS+ does this for a fair amount of games.

Would be awesome if it was for every game but theres really no way you could force that onto publishers.

Holy shit, lol. I knew there would be some kind of strings attached but man... lol.

Makes me wonder what else there is still to discover about Xbone, even post-180....

Wow.

So many people turned into pissy little boggarts.

So many journalists throwing any integrity left in the trash.

So many members banned...

Over TIMED TRIALS.

Indeed. Man, I almost wish this was still happening, just for the drama.

Moving this post here since this seems to be the new thread.

What's funny is that they DID hint at this. In an obfuscated way. We just never noticed.

Remember when the DRM was first revealed? The easiest complaint was "What if I wanted to take it to my friend's house?"

Remember the response?

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-internet-connection-requirement/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/no-fees-for-xbox-one-used-games-but-24-hour-check-in-required-3832010/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

We just glossed over that because we figured, during the PEAK of the "24 hour check" freakout, that 1 hour offline for visiting a friend was just more shit on the cake.

Nope.

That was the max amount of time a friend could play a copy. Period

It was in front of our face the whole time.
Interesting. Totally overlooked this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I am just imagining the Internet explosion of hate that we would have witnessed around launch time if they managed to slip this one past everyone. Would have been so much drama.

What a shitty feature.

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Does anybody actually know how the Forza thing works? Seems like that would be a big clue.

halogamer

Banned
I wonder where all these defenders are now. What will they complain about next? They will go back to, "Oh well, MS is still the best company ever for listening.".

Burt

So, by game sharing they meant... demo sharing?

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Was way too fucking good to be true. Was completely incongruous to their DRM strategy. Complete misrepresentation of the truth. What a bunch of fucking liars. And they wonder why consumer confidence in them is so low.

Woorloog

Banned
So there was a catch in "Family Sharing"?
I figured that it didn't make sense as people painted it.

I'm still impressed how badly MS fucked things up.

KarmaCow

What magical world does MS live in where anything more than the tiny minority will down a full game to play for 60 mins. Yikes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe now everyone complaining that we "kept them in the Stone Age" can finally shut up. I'm shocked anyone believed this would be more than timed trials. It made no financial sense and was completely antithetical to their approach for XBO.

Moving this post here since this seems to be the new thread.

What's funny is that they DID hint at this. In an obfuscated way. We just never noticed.

Remember when the DRM was first revealed? The easiest complaint was "What if I wanted to take it to my friend's house?"

Remember the response?

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-internet-connection-requirement/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/no-fees-for-xbox-one-used-games-but-24-hour-check-in-required-3832010/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

We just glossed over that because we figured, during the PEAK of the "24 hour check" freakout, that 1 hour offline for visiting a friend was just more shit on the cake.

Nope.

That was the max amount of time a friend could play a copy. Period

It was in front of our face the whole time.

Yikes, these policies sound even worse than a lot of us thought.

mavs

All of the "reassurances" they gave about the offline capability seemed to assume you started playing online and lost connection. If you tried to start gaming offline, LOL.

Rocky

Banned
I think so. I usually get the demo and if I like it I buy the disk. Fuck digital distribution. Lol.

That sounds cool. I have a PS3 and 360 but I only have XBL gold. I'm thinking of switching to PS+ since I don't really play my 360 much anymore and I have a PS4 on preorder. I don't play multiplayer much and PS+ sounds like a much better service for single player stuff.

Nope, it's lost forever - even if you buy it on disc, as soon as you plug the disc the Expired Trial monster devours the disc.
That's kinda dumb. What if you bought the digital version? Also, if you do buy it after its locked, can you use the save file if you started one? Or would you have to start again?

2San

Honestly the person/people who thought this up, should get fired. He almost single handedly destroyed the xbox.

Loxley

PS Plus has this for every member in A LOT of games. No real deal.

That's largely because Sony have always simply advertised that particular PS+ feature for being exactly what it it is: timed access to full games (I believe it's 60 minutes?). They never tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes like MS was clearly doing here.

Wait a minute. So the 10 people can share a game was basically just 9 people having a one hour demo of a game one person bought? WTF? Or am I missing something here.

Hattori

Banned
I think so. I usually get the demo and if I like it I buy the disk. Fuck digital distribution. Lol.

god_damn_right_breaking_bad.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, people were already making wild dreams of sharing games and it was a glorified demo sharing system. Totally bollocks. Probably one of the reasons why they ahd to backtrack on the DRM.

I kinda wish they would have followed the DRM plan. The catasthrophe of Family Plan being unveiled as just demos, the bitter tears of those who tought it was some marvelous workaround to lending physical games...

Why MS denied us so much FUN?!

Truly it would have almost made it all worth it.

Almost :p

There had to be a catch. It was always too good to be true and there wasnt a publisher in the world that would have been ok with this. At least used games only hit them once or twice. 10 people playing a game 1 person paid for would NEVER be ok with them.

Dunno why people thought that would be realistic.

People who are going bananas over the Steam sharing "leak" need to understand this too. It will be pretty similar to this if not EXACTLY similar.

Almighty

I have this feeling that as long as MS has those people who engineered this fiasco, they will come back with another shitty plan later.

It's just like politicians. When their 'suggested laws' got vetoed, they don't just stop. They retreat and do it again and again, little by little until it becomes generally accepted.

Their 'vision' is still there. I'm not supporting Xbone or MS until they do total overhaul in management. Fuck you MS.

I agree. Microsoft's PR double talk about the Xbox One has really soured me on them.

Man I wish they would have revealed this before the 180. Meltdowns would have been glorious.

Best thing is PS+ already has done something like this for many games you don't own.

And it's still a useless feature. I'm not about to download a 40GB game just to play for an hour.

I can't believe Major Nelson had the gall to say that this would make the 24 hour check worth it.

Fucking called it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63409021&postcount=1318

That's really not clear at all. What does "at a given time" mean? From 5 to 6 am? Once a week? It could mean literally anything.

And people called me paranoid, insisting that it meant concurrently. I'm getting really good at reading sleazy PR speak.

zainetor

Banned
Im actually sad they didnt do this, because they would have been destroyed and forced to reverse everything. They need to fire their comunication/PR completely.

Where are the MS supporters in this thread? The ones who were pissed that the internet ruined their cheap game pyramid scheme? Are they reading this thread with tears streaming down their cheeks?

Any chance Gizmodo will post a retraction with their tail between their legs? Motherfuckers.

Top Bottom